• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We ought to look at some things.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Bam, we need to meet up some time. I want to see how much you've improved.

Just the manner you express ideas and understand things shows your understanding of the game has improved drastically since we used to play. I can only assume with better understanding came better playing.

We need to meet up sometime man...

:093:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
hahahah I always knew these things son i just didnt bother to express them in such a way. We will play soon dear friend. BUT FIRST! A TOAST TO ESPY!

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
thanks for the awesome thread Kinzer :D learned some new/not so new things, ASC PDT is amazing :D and I had always wondered about that wall jab lock ^.^;
~ Added new info to gameplay! ~

Tenki

Smash Hero
How do you do PDT instead of spotdodge?
It looks pretty sexy. Will try when I get to a Wii.

Also, can you do a PDT after slight sideB charge, instead of just near the beginning?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... I don't have it up on the OP?

I can't check the YT videos/lniks right now, I'm on campus, but unless Tesh didn't post it in this thread yet, he has a video up, and I believe he went into some detail as to what it was. Wasn't it platform-drop t-

... T~...

... The last letter escapes me...

Tesh

Smash Hero
Through
Although I think we should call it ASCSCPDD to make it more confusing to everyone else.

@ Tenki- You can only drop down if you can shield cancel it, so you can't fully charge it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Through
Although I think we should call it ASCSCPDD to make it more confusing to everyone else.
As a Sonic boarder, I'd say this is a brilliant idea.

As a Smash Researcher, I hate you and I have no idea what that could possibly mean. ;~;

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
How do you do PDT instead of spotdodge?
It looks pretty sexy. Will try when I get to a Wii.

Also, can you do a PDT after slight sideB charge, instead of just near the beginning?

I'm pretty sure Tesh did have a video for it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETKnWyQzFvQ is that what you meant?
and to actually PDT instead of spotdodging you sort of just press really lightly not to sidestep but quick enough so that it doesn't make you just tilt your shield downward
as Kinzer mentioned before it's probably best to master just dropping through platforms with shield up before getting it down with ASC or SD ^.^;

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
as Kinzer mentioned before it's probably best to master just dropping through platforms with shield up before getting it down with ASC or SD ^.^;
I never said that though. :X Just gotta give credit where credit is due.

However what you said before is a good idea. Lately I've been finding that putting the D-Pad just a little bit off the neutral position makes things a lot easier. It may not apply as much in Brawl, but in other fighting games it's certainly helped me a lot. I can't really think of many examples, but I know for fact that in debug mode, to get tilts from a stand you gotta have it off just a bit, but not too far out where it will register as a smash attack. It's also the same way I can do walks/fast-walks, and not runs/jumps. I think it even controls whether I do a short hop or a full hop if I tap up lightly or all the way, but it's been a while since I've worked debug mode for anything.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
haha, sorry about that, my misteak Kinzer ^.^; you're right, as it turns out it was Bam who recommended getting the shield drop through down first ^.^
Also im going to hit up Susa because i do think theres a way to cancel the ledge drop as well essentially making a perfect cancel. I think i just did it once let me try to recreate it. Susa used to do this crap all day.
Miss that guy.
EDIT: Japan does it again.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ar2M4iiB-g
When you get this down guys, try this. ASC PDT > platform cancel.
and for lolz platform cancel> instant platform drop> platform cancel> instant platform drop> etc. it looks freakin tyte.

*these are for moving platforms

Tenki

Smash Hero
Through

@ Tenki- You can only drop down if you can shield cancel it, so you can't fully charge it.
ASCSCPDD, SDSCPDD, and BRSDSCPDD (breversed);
ASCSCPDT, SDSCPDT, and BRSDSCPDT

I like it.

So does the mechanic have to do with shielding (ex, can you pull this off with just shield?) or does it happen because you're shield-cancelling another move (ex: grenade/SD/SC)?

what I was wondering about was charging a side-B for like .5-1second, just enough to make it look like you're doing something else, then cancelling to drop b-air/u-air.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its just because you shield, it just feels easier to me when i buffer it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The next step to advancing our metagame is to declare these acronyms during every match to distract our opponents. While they decipher the meaning, we land some sweet RASCSCPDDDJFair combos on them.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Silly *****. That implies that I'd need to slow down to learn these acronyms. No time for that.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I never spinshot on the ground because I always SD somehow, so I never noticed before but....

If you spinshot up the hills on yoshi's island:melee sonic will slide-grab-slide instead of just slide-grab. Looks sorta like squirtles hydrograb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kFTgywSbp4

I can't get it to work on Pictochat though, even though its basically the same exact angle of slope since it catches spinshots unlike yoshis island.

I can't the research on SDR spinshotting so I'll just post this here anyway. I remember reading that you have to have precise timing to do this (the useful way), but you can buffer it too (the useless way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLhxKayj0k

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You have about as much time to jump off the edge to perform a SDRSS as it takes Meta Knight to swing his sword out for the first attack of Down Smash.

That's being generous.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Tesh did have a video for it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETKnWyQzFvQ is that what you meant?
and to actually PDT instead of spotdodging you sort of just press really lightly not to sidestep but quick enough so that it doesn't make you just tilt your shield downward
Actually, I noticed something.

I think the magic behind this is buffering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJoaDSC88Qo

In here, he inputs:
[forward] [ b ] [back] [shield] [down] (then C-stick to b-air)

which is what you'd do if you wanna b-reverse it. The core movement here is:
[side B] [shield] [down]

Last night, Tesh mentioned in the xat that it's like doing a reverse hadoken, and while I was testing it out today, I kinda got somewhat stable w/ this method instead:

[side B] [quickly roll to a little above diagonal down] [shield]

Note how you hit shield AFTER quickly hitting down (hitting a diagonal makes it much easier ;) ).
With this method, you don't even see the shield come up- you just start your fall animation. The only limit here is that this one only works if you cancel the beginning of the charge. The previous method makes use of a regular shield PDT, but this one is more of a buffered one.

An interesting thing to note is that if you do it wrong, sometimes you'll see Sonic do a weird quick landing animation, THEN go into shield. I noticed that you can actually do something more akin to a no-shield cancelled side-B. Though, this is kinda useless/something you probably won't do on purpose because it requires such a quick input :/

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
Actually, I noticed something.

I think the magic behind this is buffering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJoaDSC88Qo

In here, he inputs:
[forward] [ b ] [back] [shield] [down] (then C-stick to b-air)

which is what you'd do if you wanna b-reverse it. The core movement here is:
[side B] [shield] [down]

Last night, Tesh mentioned in the xat that it's like doing a reverse hadoken, and while I was testing it out today, I kinda got somewhat stable w/ this method instead:

[side B] [quickly roll to a little above diagonal down] [shield]

Note how you hit shield AFTER quickly hitting down (hitting a diagonal makes it much easier ;) ).
With this method, you don't even see the shield come up- you just start your fall animation. The only limit here is that this one only works if you cancel the beginning of the charge. The previous method makes use of a regular shield PDT, but this one is more of a buffered one.

An interesting thing to note is that if you do it wrong, sometimes you'll see Sonic do a weird quick landing animation, THEN go into shield. I noticed that you can actually do something more akin to a no-shield cancelled side-B.
oooh thx 4 the info :D able to do it a bit more consistently now :3

Though, this is kinda useless/something you probably won't do on purpose because it requires such a quick input :/
all the more reason to use it :D surprise Soni-Bair!

Edit: On another note, what's wrong wif you Tenki? diggin up my 2week-old-ish posts lol jk

Tenki

Smash Hero
I was looking for some post related to me asking about what the input was to do the SCPDT, cause I had just figured it out lol.

;>

...now to that SSPCRSDSCPDTBairAC

Tesh

Smash Hero
LOL, Sonic's secret techinique. The legendary acronym.

Tenki did you just say you figured out how to cancel ASC into....anything? Cuz I would love to try to break a shield with ASC cross up-Fsmash.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If Sonics spent as much effort on Sonic himself rather than the acronyms...

Tesh

Smash Hero
Extra letters give him more power. I did some testing and if it seems that if you think to yourself ASCSCPDTASCJCPCUS while performing the maneuver it pretty much guarantees a 22 hit combo that will break or poke power shields.

Will have vid up soon.

Top Bottom