• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavebird vs Wired?

ImageOmega

Smash Cadet
Just curious as to if there is any drawback to using a wavebird w/ smash. Is there any lag at all? After having a Wii I can not stand wired controllers so I picked up one wavebird and have one more being shipped.

Wavebird or Wired?

T-major

Smash Champion
Wave bird works fine. in fact my friend isn't comfortable playing smash unless he's using one (he says it's because of the weight and size difference). so yeah, no drawbacks at all.

Jacko

Smash Apprentice
It really is just preference, don't worry about the lag thing, thats not an issue
I've played with wavebirds and regular wired controllers and I simply prefer the wired ones for a couple reasons

1) they have rumble
2) there isn't a confining battery pack on the back
3) no chance of getting your controller hijacked or anything by another wavebird on the same channel at a tournament

still though, if you like the wavebird then go for it, it doesn't really matter

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I prefer wired controllers. I feel like the time between pushing the button and the action being performed is less than with a wavebird, but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me. In truth, the difference in transfer time is so small if there is a difference it's too small to notice. I guess the big reason I don't use the wavebirds is because I'm afraid my batteries will die while I'm playing.

hao chi

Smash Cadet
The Wavebirds are great, there's no lag at all. Though I use a wired controller anyways because I don't want to mess up the analog sticks on my Wavebirds - and the analog stick on my wired controller that came with my Cube can't really get any worse (in fact, the controller is useless for any games other than Smash Bros and Soul Calibur II).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
No lag, long battery life...the only complaints that aren't about non-existant lag is that it feels a bit heavier (which I find the other way around) and that it's bulkier in the middle

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
There is lag. I'm not able to Powershield consistently and though I can't SWD consistently anymore, I've found it is nearly impossible for me unless I really compensate for it.

However if you don't do either of those techniques you probably won't notice it. (note, even using a projector or projection screen television adds about a frame or two of lag as well.)

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Then it's at least 1/60 of a second. lol I'm really not sure how much it is, I just know that I can tell a difference. And thus it must be at least one frame of lag.

Another good point. Channel interference is a possible issue as well. That and the small chance that you grow careless and let your batteries die.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
My Wavebird doesn't have any lag, and I haven't changed the batteries in two or three years.

Jaz

Smash Ace
its not the lag, if it exists at all, that would annoy me, nor the weight difference in controllers
the lack of rumble is what gets to me and ultimately imo makes wired better

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
1 NTSC frame is 16.67 milliseconds. As far as Wavebirds lagging, well-made ones are not supposed to at all. I don't like them though as they are heavier, lack rumble, and just all around don't feel right in my hands.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
I've always used wired controllers whenever playing Cube, so I think I'd best stick with that.

andysfile

Smash Cadet
I used a tournament supplied Wavebird controller and it ran out of batteries in the finals - didn't get a second chance either -_-
Wired for sure!

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wavebird lag is a myth. The processing is handled in hardware, the whole operation is trivial and wouldn't take more than a couple of cycles to complete. We're talking a delay of a couple millionths of a second.

But really, think about it: The gamecube does lots of other stuff what is way more difficult that doesn't create any "lag". What about simply processing the video and displaying it! After you press a button, the GC has to recognize what you do, process that into a displayable image, and then the TV has to actually display it. And all of that happens without 1 frame of lag.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Your knee stops the signal. I'm not even kidding, and the batteries could die at any second.
I could play on my gamecube in the middle of my house when I was outside. First thing I did when i got it was see how far away I could go and still control it. Admittedly not well due to signal strength being blocked by about 12 walls, but hey, it still reached.

Metà

Smash Master
Well, try plugging in a wavebird when when you're in the Action Replay menu. Every once in a while, you see it flicker like the controller is unplugged. I tried this with 4 different wavebirds, and it does the same thing. One extremely short flicker every second or so. I'm pretty sure that = lag. Does anyone else have any evidence of wavebird lag?

Also, another downside is channelhacking (people intentionally finding the same channel as you to interfere with the signal). This happened to one of my friends in a tournament match, and it really ****ed him over. : / We haven't used wavebirds in tourneys since that.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Yeah, In my opinion, Wavebirds are the best alternative you can get to wired controllers, since the grips and overall shape is just like the GC controllers (the battery section doesn't get in your way, unless you have a real freaky playing style I guess). The only thing bad about them, as previously mentioned, is in tournament play.

texaskid92

Smash Rookie
I've always been with wired controllers (not including the Wii controllers.) I don't really like the idea of the controller being battery operated because I play for a long time, and then my battery's low.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I love the idea of the Wireless controllers having more freedom, but because of the batteries, I'd buy a wired Wii remote if there was such a thing.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Just for the general feel, wavebird is too clunky for me (that big square-ish shape on the bottom). Wired all the way.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
There is lag. I'm not able to Powershield consistently and though I can't SWD consistently anymore, I've found it is nearly impossible for me unless I really compensate for it.

However if you don't do either of those techniques you probably won't notice it. (note, even using a projector or projection screen television adds about a frame or two of lag as well.)
Wavebirds do not lag, that is in your mind.

Your input from either wired or wireless controllers travels to the gamecube at the speed of light. There is no encoding or decoding time.

People john because the controller feels different, and when they play different it's as good a john as any.

As a side note, based on the lag-corrections other games provide (such as Guitar Hero), the laggy TVs I've played on have 27 ms of lag, which equates to 1.62 frames.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i use wired, because the weight feels natural to me.i bet, though, i could use a wavebird after a while

Radchu24

Smash Rookie
I find wavebird totally fine, maybe it’s just cause I play on a wii. My sofa if 2 meters away from my windscreen tv so if you have your GameCube under your tv meters away wavebird is your bet. And wavebird lag is total nonsense. No rumbling is annoying though...

Top Bottom