• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

iharfor

Smash Journeyman
Wanted to see if anyone had the same opinion. Seeing that I dont use items, it seems that reading all of these updates that I will only be using about 10-20% of what is actually in the game.

There is so much fluff in SSBB. Stickers? Now I know why I bought a PS3. Whats sad is they are wasting time on fluff when it could have been spent on the core of the game, or perhaps getting it released sooner. Instead, they are spending countless hours working fervently to create and design stickers.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Too much fluff? Say...why are you here again? Been missing on SSB64 and Melee, haven't you? Oh and I could understand Sakurai if he cancelled the game because of so many people's b****ing...seriously, ENJOY yourselves for ONCE!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
10-20% of what's in the game? You mean you won't actually get past the mode select menu?

soaz

Smash Ace
Too much fluff? Say...why are you here again? Been missing on SSB64 and Melee, haven't you? Oh and I could understand Sakurai if he cancelled the game because of so many people's b****ing...seriously, ENJOY yourselves for ONCE!
thread closed.

Takalth

Smash Ace
It's division of labor.

They don't pull their balance team over to create stickers and add new items. They hire a separate team who works on it concurrently. It increases the dev costs, but the effects on release date resulting from "fluff" (which many people like, BTW) is negligible.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Wanted to see if anyone had the same opinion. Seeing that I dont use items, it seems that reading all of these updates that I will only be using about 10-20% of what is actually in the game.

There is so much fluff in SSBB. Stickers? Now I know why I bought a PS3. Whats sad is they are wasting time on fluff when it could have been spent on the core of the game, or perhaps getting it released sooner. Instead, they are spending countless hours working fervently to create and design stickers.
YOU will get so flamed for this

gregWHO

Smash Cadet
Fluff? Have we forgotten that the target audience, whether we like or not, is not limited to tourney attendees and competitive gaming? Keep in mind, there are actually KIDS who BUY this game, putting money in Nintendo's pockets, go home and all they do is run around as Pikachu and Kirby, occasionally hit each other without real aim or purpose, and eventually SD.

If I was Nintendo and I wanted to capitalize on these kids, **** yeah I'd put stickers in the game.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
.....You don't mind if I quote you, do you?

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Once again, can I ask someone to take out the fire extinguisher? Flaming never solves anything, so just take a breath people.

Anyway, like I said in another thread, people need to learn the difference between what the Brawl development team has worked on and what Sakurai tells us in his daily updates.

and gregWHO has made an important point, Smash Bros. tournament players represent a minority of all Smash Bros. players, even though it might not appear so since a lot of the people in this forum are tournament players. And I have nothing against tournament players, so please don't miss my point, which is sometimes we forget that a large variety of people play Smash Bros, and sometimes we forget that the Big N has to cater to them all.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Stop your complaining.

I doubt these so called "stickers" will take up that much space. The core game is still there. >_>

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I agree with him.

Melee was rushed and incomplete, and yet people insisted that the trophies in Melee wouldn't be a problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would have scrapped every trophy and single player mode in SSBM just so Ganondorf could have had one more original move in the multiplayer game (and don't try to tell me that the salary paid to 3D modelers couldn't have been reallocated to animators working on movesets).

The single player of SSBB will be beaten and done with inside of a month. The multiplayer will be played for the next 5-6 years.

Focusing on the single player of SSBB is akin to treating a skinned knee instead of a gunshot wound. The skinned knee will heal on its own. The gunshot wound will have long-term repercussions, as seen by how we're stuck with space animals winning tournaments all over the place.

I don't mind single player modes and fluff, but FFS, multiplayer NEEDS to come first.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
.....You don't mind if I quote you, do you?
OT: First time I've been sigged ^^ Makes me feel special, of course I don't mind -> return to topic, if there ever was one. Btw, I'm also against flaming, my post was more an actual statement and not to be taken as if I was outraged or if I was all "OH NOEZ, I'm p***** at that st00pit user, Flame War FTW!!!!!!!!11one1". Still, this is one very pointless topic. Period.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
smash bros is a game aimed at casuals that we transformed into a competitive one. The more fluff in it the more it will sell. makes sense from a business standpoint.

narmerguy

Smash Cadet
You guys are funny. Sure tournament players may not be the majority, but you can sure as hell bet anyone 10+ is not going to play with stickers. Honestly, who would ever see them but 1-2 friends of yours? If you can post them on the internet, then, anyone who is going to take brawl online and whatnot probably doesn't care for stickers. I agree, if they hired a seperate team for this stuff, the team could have been assigned to something more meaningful. Do you think anyone will be dissapointed at the loss of stickers?

Let's all keep in mind that melee was rated Teen.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
you should have used the *flame shield* at the end of your post, too late.

You might find useless that they work on stuff like that, but the game is not mainly made for you :s im sure there are many other people who really like playing with items, collecting stuff such as trophies, but the game itself is made for the gamers and not only that since the Wii is most intented to get non-gamers to play, and by this widening the videogame industry even bigger than it already is, so basically, if you dont like those aspects of the game, just put them off, and as for what you said about a sooner relese date without those things that make the game more unique, well, they already set a date for America, and its not something really late or anything, i think its just a perfect date, giving them some time to make SSBB an even better game.

So basically, i dont agree with you.

EDIT: Thanks to whoever deleted those posts, they were quite...offensive.

HarryPooter

Smash Cadet
lol, trolls.

Do you people really think people are stupid enough to think that they aren't spending time on multiplayer? The game has been in development for a long time, and I'm pretty sure they have put in everything they wanted to.

Stickers are there for those completionist(is that a word?) people who want to get everything in the game, like people who wanted to get every single trophy and secret message. It adds replayability.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
I agree with him.

Melee was rushed and incomplete, and yet people insisted that the trophies in Melee wouldn't be a problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would have scrapped every trophy and single player mode in SSBM just so Ganondorf could have had one more original move in the multiplayer game (and don't try to tell me that the salary paid to 3D modelers couldn't have been reallocated to animators working on movesets).

The single player of SSBB will be beaten and done with inside of a month. The multiplayer will be played for the next 5-6 years.

Focusing on the single player of SSBB is akin to treating a skinned knee instead of a gunshot wound. The skinned knee will heal on its own. The gunshot wound will have long-term repercussions, as seen by how we're stuck with space animals winning tournaments all over the place.

I don't mind single player modes and fluff, but FFS, multiplayer NEEDS to come first.
Do you honestly believe that they are working on stickers and such at the expense of multiplayer? Of course not! All this so-called "fluff" is being added onto the game, not replacing any of it. The single player stuff isn't delaying the game, it's what they're filling the disc with. December 3rd is the North American release date, so it will be out sooner in Japan, meaning they need to finish the game soon. That said, I don't know anyone who would miss stickers, but just because they're there, doesn't mean you have to do anything with them. Stop Complaining Already!

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
ok, so you really think copy-and-pasting artwork images from Nintendo's art computers really take that long? I'll bet they're making stickers the main collection thing as opposed to trophies because it takes them 20times less time making stickers. This is all meaning that they are making more game. I think it's perfect. I'll bet there still are trophies though. Just special ones for completing the different modes (and hopefully nintendo tourneys and seasons)

and items are awesome. if you don't use them, you're missing out

Kirby knight

Smash Lord

I honestly hate hate hate bs assumptions like " omg they wasted time on this when they could be working on that " For one a development team working on SSBB is going to be split up into several groups working on several different projects for the final result that is SSBB. Not everyone is going to be working on the same thing so really your complaining about "wasting time" is kinda dumb. Not everyone is going to be working on Character creation, Stage, physics engine, etc. Who knows maybe that group is working on trophies and stickers.

I'm not going to say oh I love every single update on SSB Dojo because I don't I thought the sticker update was a little akward, but it could be appealing to a younger audience which is understandable. Everyone plays Smash differently; wether it be for tournies, just for fun, or maybe a little both.

Kayn

Smash Cadet
Fluff? Have we forgotten that the target audience, whether we like or not, is not limited to tourney attendees and competitive gaming? Keep in mind, there are actually KIDS who BUY this game, putting money in Nintendo's pockets, go home and all they do is run around as Pikachu and Kirby, occasionally hit each other without real aim or purpose, and eventually SD.

If I was Nintendo and I wanted to capitalize on these kids, **** yeah I'd put stickers in the game.
I highly doubt, sir, that kids are running around with sixty dollars in their pockets. Milk does not cost that much now-a-days >.>

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
This is incredibly cool.

They really dug back far for concept art from all sorts of games. If you have seen as much of Ninty's concept art as I have, you'll have realized that there will likely be hundreds to thousands of stickers in this game.

I tried to identify the games the art came from below.

Stickers include:
NES:
Wild Gunman
Balloon Fighter

N64:
Pak E. Derm (Yoshi's Story)
Lon-Lon Milk (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero X?)

GCN:
Rawk Hawk (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)
Monkey [Don't remember having a name?] (Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat)
Mighty Gazelle (F-Zero GX)
Hammer Bro (Super Mario Strikers?)
Donkey Kong (Mario Superstar Baseball)
Wario Car (Mario Kart: Double Dash)
Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radience?)

DS:
Shiba Inu (Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends(and the other versions))
Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy (or Wii Degree))

Wii:
Wario (Mario Strikers: Charged)

Other:
Dice (Mario Party #?)
Toad (Mario Party?)
Starman (Mario Party?)
Earth (Mother #?/Earthbound?)
Mini-Kracko? (Kirby Game)
Kirby (Super Smash Bros. Brawl?)

vesperview

Smash Hero
Ok... I agree with you on some point, most updates have sucked in the last two weeks... I wish they would just confirm all characters already, is so tiring being at the expectation of an update when you wake up to come across something so stupid as stickers.

iMichael

Smash Lord
to you stickers may be a waste of time but some peeps may like the stickers....Sakurai didnt make this game just for you dude....

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Believe it or not, there are people who appreciate the game for what it is, and not the watered-down version we play at tournaments. We're lucky to get information about the game at all, so please just STFU about "bad updates".

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
ok listen up, the game is already mostly done if u think they are just now putting this stuff together then think again, this stickers is just a new mode its not gonna take aaway from multiplayer at all, look at melee it was a n awesome ggame and still is bt I know many people including myself whish there was more stuff to fo in that gam, while stickers might not be the best idea in the world its just one of the many neww things that will be in the game, this will not in anyway take away form time spent on the "core " game after all this is super smash bros not sticker mania so u can be assured that they are working really hard on the main aspects of the game.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Believe it or not, there are people who appreciate the game for what it is, and not the watered-down version we play at tournaments. We're lucky to get information about the game at all, so please just STFU about "bad updates".
You shut the **** up... if I don't like the updates on the page, I don't think it's your business, so please!

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
This has turned from a FLUFF debate to a "The Updates Suck" debate. Thread closed.

And vesperview, how can Ness leave Brawl if he's never been in it?

khold

Smash Apprentice
You shut the **** up... if I don't like the updates on the page, I don't think it's your business, so please!
Even if it isn't any of our business, you're making it our business by complaining about it on the board. Really, if you post something, people are going to reply to it.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
So? Don't read them. NO ONE is under any obligation to supply you or anyone with game info that they want to see. Complaining about the updates while not understanding marketing techniques is self-defeating, and only serves to make you look silly.

vesperview

Smash Hero
So? Don't read them. NO ONE is under any obligation to supply you or anyone with game info that they want to see. Complaining about the updates while not understanding marketing techniques is self-defeating, and only serves to make you look silly.
W/E it's impossible to post something here without moderators trying to be intelligent... gimme a break and don't reply to this *******!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I think the reason we have a lot of "fluff" in this game:

1. Different people are programming different parts of the game. I'm sure there's one group of people designing characters, one group designing items, one group designing stages, etc. A group of people in the development team, probably the same group that designed the rest of what you considered "fluff" thought this was cute.
2. Nintendo wants to make a game that can be enjoyed by a wide variety of people. This includes casual players, who are often little kids, that'd rather play 99 stock matches on flat zone with pokeballs on very high.

I'll probably screw around with the fluff a bit myself before doing "serious" matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom