• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Match-Ups!

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
In regards to the Lucas MU, I don't have much exposure but I have played a couple good ones before. With Ganon, I've been both the Wario and the Ganon in a number of different situations.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Ganon does not lose +4 to Wario. His tools are not that bad when dealing with him.

It's a good idea to harass Lucas offstage, don't expect to gimp him though unless you hit him with waft. Lucas is really good when pressuring our shield. When trying to punish him oos wait for him to use jab3 or something laggy like that. We can't punish spaced f-tilts and such reliably. Also I'd prefer for my ratio to be +1. :happysheep:

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I have a weird system where I judge a character and then I give a bonus point to a character if they have a working infinite. If I didn't do that, I'd put it at +3.

xzx

Smash Lord
He means I'm a scrub and have never played a half decent Lucas.

Which is true!!
Since when did you have to play good players to actually give an input + a ratio? You can still know some aspects of the MUs...

LOE1: +1/+2
Iota: +1
xzx: +1
J: +1
Jamwa: +1
Biz_R_0: +1
Luco: +1
Labernash: +1

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Wario does not have an infinite on Ganon. It's a CG to 80% and it's usually not worth going for. Wario does not infinite anyone. The only char he 0-death CGs is Bowser. Ganon also has two 0-deaths and a realistic way to tire infinite us. :happysheep:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I saw Gluttony lose on live stream to Mekos

Red tape +4 Lucas favor

xzx

Smash Lord
LOE1: +1
Iota: +1
J: +1
Jamwa: +1
Luco: +1
Labernash: +1
BPx: +2

Okay, enough about Lucas. Let's move on to Mario. This MU is nothing special. Mario's frame data is superb, and better than Wario's. None of both characters have threatening range. Both can gimp but Wario has the upper hand in doing so. Aside from his twinbrother, Mario can approach and has them fireballs to do so (although we can run over the fireballs with the bike). Mario's up-tilt and up-air are good at keeping us at bay, or at least up-air. Mario is a relative fast character overall. Don't get caught in his low % strings. This MU is a bull's-eye +1 to Wario. What makes this MU +1 and not even is that Wario is better off stage and better at killing. Mario have problems at killing since Wario is heavy and it can be troublesome for him to land that kill move (like up-smash), but that's just that. Nothing too disadvantegous. Don't underestimate him - Mario has some balls of fire... +1.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
^ we already discussed Mario just before Wolf. I remember because i gave a summary on it a few pages back. Most of us agreed +1 for Wario.

I already suggested Ganondorf we may as well get the most pointless of MUs out of the way from Ganon's perspective i suggest picking somebody else but i'd say that in every mu in the game Ganon has.

Though i think we've finally covered the most important matchups from everyone's contributions just a case of finishing the roster. This thread is quite good I commend XZX for deciding to make it. :)

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
+1 Wario. The reason being on-stage it's really even, but off-stage Wario dominates.

LOE1

Smash Lord
the only good mario ive played offline was xeroxen, and he was pretty good. fair bair OP, also **** his usmash. everything else isnt really that bad though. wario still pro in the air.

+1/+2 for meh

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
I'm 100% sure we haven't done a serious discussion of Mario before PMC. We've been mostly ontrack so far.

I suck at dealing with Mario's CQ game so I'm not gonna put down a ratio. I really, really don't think it's +1 though. :happysheep:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm thinking +1 in Wario's favor because Mario has trouble killing him, whereas Wario doesn't share that issue. They're pretty even onstage, for the most part. Wario is a pain to recover offstage against.

Mario wants FD vs Wario and bans any stage with close blastzones or areas that make it easy for Wario to stall (PS1).

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Technical marios are actually pretty annoying to deal with, I don't think +2 is justified.

He technically has safe counters to all our approaches that aren't really committing to a whole lot. Because of that, he can control space fairly well and can't really get forced into particularly obnoxious situations. Wario's grounded approaches are limited but he can't afford to keep jumping without setting himself up for getting his jump read. Regardless, he has to commit to shielding a fair bit because even though his shield is easily pressured it's also a major zoning tool Mario cannot reliably deal with.

Note that Mario's reward for getting a read is pretty substantial if your intended commitment was vertical. He can't punish horizontal approaches too well and if he does you generally won't end up being butt****ed for it.

+1 in any case, gimping is overrated in this matchup. Mario won't get gimped unless you managed to deprive him of his DJ. It's hard to force his DJ but usually you can abuse the fact that he's limited in using it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't play Mario anymore but I actually have exp in this match-up from playing Lp's Wario and I agree with +1 for Wario. Utilt / Uair cover Wario's dair approaches and bite mix-ups safely and Mario's bair deals with Wario's bair, fair and is safeish against Wario's airdodge shenanigans. Trades are in Wario's favor and ofc he has more KO power, weight, yadda yadda - just the usual crap that makes Wario a tough opponent for most characters.

:059:

xzx

Smash Lord
Matador: +1
Lord Chair: +1
Gheb_01: +1
TheReflexWonder: +1

I (also) find Wario's gimp game overrated.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wario finally winning against mario? We never saw that coming in the last 15 years :troll:

Sorry, I know i'm not a wario but it's nice to see a MU thread that's actually still going. Lots of respect for you guys. :) I suggest you guys move on to Samus if I may be so bold.

(Luco out!)

xzx

Smash Lord
Matador: +1
Lord Chair: +1
Gheb_01: +1
TheReflexWonder: +1
Buff: +1

Let's move on to Samus. The best tools Samus has is her fair walls and spacing tools (like zair), I feel. Samus could rack up damage fast if you get caught into her stuff, but one must break through her defensive game to prevent that. We are better at killing, and our mobility can get past all of her defensive stuff. Samus has quick moves on the ground, and her range is legit. Don't underestimate her tilts and jab. Yeah, nothing much about this MU either. Just avoid her projectiles and fair/up-smash and zair and you'll do fine. Try to get her offstage for pressure. This MU is nothing special - just Wario having the better tools. Samus shouldn't be much to handle/troublesome. +2 in Wario's favour.

xzx: +2

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
+7 million Samus' favor wario is just smelly and gross but samus has spacesuit and canoot be touched by smells

+2 is probably accurate. Wario has air mobility that samus dreams of having and is better at camping than samus if he wants to be (which should be all the time btw). Also standing on bike beats our moveset (except downtilt [checkmate wario mains])

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Wario is fat and has a great recovery, Samus sucks at KOing. Also she has minimal vertical survivability, so Uair wrecks her harder than Team Ninja. Plus the things you guys said.

+2

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wario is fat and has a great recovery, Samus sucks at KOing. Also she has minimal vertical survivability, so Uair wrecks her harder than Team Ninja. Plus the things you guys said.

+2
ouch, that was harsh

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
U-Throw doesn't lead to a guaranteed anything on anyone. We can quickly pressure characters with poor horizontal mobility, such as Falco, and try to juggle floaty characters like Samus, though.

LOE1

Smash Lord
no idea about samus, i mean who plays samus anymore lol. never played a good one :p

Top Bottom