• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Match-Ups!

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
Is any one of you guys at Apex?
We could play a serious set/money match.. i am pretty sure, i would change your opinion!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've played Hive and Xyro in the distant past, but, that doesn't necessarily say what the matchup is like now.

I'll still put my vote behind +2, though; I don't think that's unreasonable to think.

xzx

Smash Lord
xzx: +2
Iota: +2
DtJ Composer: +2
Biz_R_0: +2
quiKsilverItaly: +1
TheReflexWonder: +2

@quiksilver: Just because a player is good with Samus and does well against Warios doesn't necessarily mean that the MU should be +1. With that logic the DDD MU vs Wario would have been even. =P

Lord Chair

Smash Master
+2 seems fair, Quik is retardedly good against Wario though I wouldn't recommend any of you guys MMing him unless you want to feed him money (though his wallet is a very reasonable cause for your $$). I don't think Glutonny had anything close to solid Samus exp.

Wario decides the pace of the matchup at almost any time and timing her out is a super legitimate win condition in a very horrible way. If you have any sort of lead you can just abuse it in the normal way: Samus will have to approach and she sucks **** at that. However, even if she ends up having a lead it's still possible to force her to exceed the ledge grab limit because of how her ledge game works. If played correctly, a timeout will always end in your favor which is super dumb.

The ledge game is one thing Glutonny failed horribly at. You don't necessarily get guaranteed hits off ledgeguarding her but it's realistic to force her to remain there. Glut maintained a spacing that would allow Quik to poke his shield with fair safely because he didn't have the space to jump away and bait it out. When he did get hit by it his SDI was off and he failed to steer the situation to his favor, even when he tried he didn't seem aware of his or Samus' options.

xzx

Smash Lord
Lord Chair: +2

Like every Wario I have seen has more or less beat a DDD! xD

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEW2dOxrAQ

Me vs. Glutonny at a tournament. watch game 4 and 5 for Samus action.
In my opinion it is Wario +1 in his favor
yo quik that was insanely good samus play. I'm always looking to get better with my samus, up to the point where I can actually fight a mid-high tier with it. In the video, you used fair off of ledge jump and y jump off ledge often, was that a matchup-specific thing or is it moderately safe? It seemed really unsafe whenever you faired on the ledge but the bottom part kept hitting glutonny. is that something you'd support in many matchups?

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
The ledge game is one thing Glutonny failed horribly at. You don't necessarily get guaranteed hits off ledgeguarding her but it's realistic to force her to remain there. Glut maintained a spacing that would allow Quik to poke his shield with fair safely because he didn't have the space to jump away and bait it out. When he did get hit by it his SDI was off and he failed to steer the situation to his favor, even when he tried he didn't seem aware of his or Samus' options.
Agree. I picked Samus for the surprising factor, knowing he wouldn't know the matchup.

yo quik that was insanely good samus play. I'm always looking to get better with my samus, up to the point where I can actually fight a mid-high tier with it. In the video, you used fair off of ledge jump and y jump off ledge often, was that a matchup-specific thing or is it moderately safe? It seemed really unsafe whenever you faired on the ledge but the bottom part kept hitting glutonny. is that something you'd support in many matchups?
Thanks. If you want to fight mid and hightier, i can tell you Samus can beat almost every midtier. high- and top there are only a few charakters Samus could be a clever choice: Snake, Wario, Pikachu, ZSS, Toon Link.
First Glutonny is the first Wario who pushed me all the time back of to the ledge, because of his incredible pressure game. Luckily he couldn't manage my planking game. Fair is good against Wario, because it is a good move if you catch him in shield or in the air. But you are screwed, if you miss and he can punish you with uair under you.
Jumping off the ledge and spamming fair's from there is a matchup-specific thing, you shoudln't overuse it in other matchups. But fair, and zair from the ledge are still the best options from the ledge, use them wisely in other mu's.

xzx

Smash Lord
Lord Chair: +2

I feel that we are done with Samus. Let's move on to Bowser. Pretty much the CG from 0%-180% ***** Bowser. Wario can set up many things that can lead to a CG, most notable bite. Bowser has range and can hit hard, especially from the GR, but that's just it. I've heard that Bowser's jab outranges Wario's grab, so jab is an inportant tool in this MU for Bowser (along with other spacing tools Bowser has, like fair and f-tilt). Bowser is big so doing strings on him should not be an issue. Tires and the bike as a projectile is good I assume, especially offstage. And watch out for Bowser's up-b since it grants him invincibility from frame 1-5. Bowser deserves it, really. That is the only option Bowser has when we are CGing him and even beyond that, Bowser must still hope that we are failing it at some point (which is sad). From a GR Bowser can do many things to us, like up-smash and side-b. Can Bowser do an F-smash/Up-air?

Anyway, this MU is according to me easily Wario's easiest one. Wario has sheer destruction and a broken tool to crush Bowser. Then again, yay for CGs! v_v +3 with CG, +2/+1 without. Poor Bowser.

xzx: +3

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I really don't think Bowser gets wrecked by us too hard, but it's still significantly in our favor. Maybe it's because I think Bowser is a lot better in general than people give him credit for, but whatever, +2.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bowser can GR infinite Wario both ways. On grounded release, and on air release.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
That set is a bad example of how the MU is played.

+3 because we basically 0-death him with the CG and have follows up into it with bite, Nair, etc. :happysheep:

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Not trying to prove anything, it was just relevant and awesome (I love Bowser)

Also, he has a grab-release infinite on us as well. Just saying.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
It's not that big of a thing when he has no way to get it out of a follow up, has poor grab range, and is too slow to adequately pressure us or make us commit into something that he can grab. In general we have better options for our grab shenanigans compared to him.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Jab 1 > Grab

F-air > grab

Two things that will be used to grab Wario realistically. Bowser GR's like everyone so not getting grabbed is not easy, since their game is based around grabbing.

If for some reason you don't buffer the CG 100% perfect, that mess is going to get up-b out of.

Believes it or nots, Bowser has the tools to make this MU hards for Wario. If Bowser was just... Better... it would have an easy opening for an even MU. When Wario tries to grab Bowser, he risks getting grabbed. Wario's poking and shenanigans and stuff are the strong point to his side of the MU. If the Bowser turtles like he should, it's a great possibility of Wario losing. But he can get in and take the stock.

Also keep in mind Bowser's infinite is infinitely easier than Wario's infinite.

But, it's a +2 for Wario.

:phone:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well that depends on who you ask. Wario's Dthrow CG is easy because the timing doesn't change/you set the pace. With Bowser, the timing can change based on how much they mash (and it can vary from air to ground) and Bowser also has to be more space conscious with moving forward. I think Wario's is easier to do but it's not a huge difference and with someone skilled with Bowser you shouldn't expect them to mess it up much

I'd have the MU as 65:35 ish in the old system. I could even see it being merely 6:4 for Wario, you have to respect Bowser's range and have MU experience against the character.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Why is it that Bowser players rarely ever lose but Bowser isn't used much and is so goddamn low on the tier list? I know that the lack of experience factors into it, but when there are people like Gimpy and Chillin in Melee who play Bowser constantly, novelty isn't an excuse (and he's supposed to be better in Brawl, so "it's Brawl" isn't a great excuse either).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why is it that Bowser players rarely ever lose but Bowser isn't used much and is so goddamn low on the tier list? I know that the lack of experience factors into it, but when there are people like Gimpy and Chillin in Melee who play Bowser constantly, novelty isn't an excuse (and he's supposed to be better in Brawl, so "it's Brawl" isn't a great excuse either).
I'm not sure where you get the idea that Bowser players rarely ever lose. They lose an awful lot.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Really? I'm talking from experience here, I've seen anywhere from one to two dozen Bowser matches and about two where they've lost. Also that's a group of Brawl and Melee and some of those are doubles. Probably should've specified that.

If you have actual stats on this I'd be happy to look at them.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I dunno. Look at the matchup chart and look how many Bowser players are getting anywhere in tournaments.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
The success and popularity thing hasn't been updated since early August, but apparently not very far (Like 10 guys and not much money). However, I'm willing to bet a lot of those aren't dedicated mains as the full split is less than half the no split amount. The only real way to determine if it's popularity or the character would be to have a record of individual recorded matches.

Also, interesting development in the input lag thread, you might wanna check it out.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
If Bowser players rarely lost they would place well at tournament that matter.

If you rarely see them lose it may be because people like Vex only end up picking Bowser if they know they're going to win anyway.

xzx

Smash Lord
xzx: +3
Iota: +3
Labernash: +2
DMG: +2/+3
LOE1: +2

Does Bowser have grab-release infinites on us? Could anyone specify that more? If so, maybe the MU was not as horrible as I first thought...

B!squick

Smash Master
I think the list of options Bowser doesn't have on Wario is shorter than the list of things he does.

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=1A658F2E4D22E16A!106&cid=1a658f2e4d22e16a&app=Excel

The only characters that are more screwed when grabbed by Bowser are Lucas, Ness, and Jigglypuff, if I recall correctly.

This may be my favorite match-up, by the way. Wario's unlike many of the mid to high tiers who have 1 or 2 REALLY good aspects, but fail in other ways that don't do Bowser much good. Wario's just great in pretty much every way, but nothing that hinders Bowser more than the rest of the cast. Fast attacks? Been there. Early kill moves? Not here. Frame perfect infinite? Who doesn't have that on Bowser?

Still an up hill battle, but just one I find more enjoyable than, say, Peach or Kirby.

Top Bottom