• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Match-Ups!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The most important thing that helped me improve considerably is making sure you let go of the Grab button before the 10 frames are up. I set mine to X, so that it's like a shorthop input. Z is much harder to press and let go quickly because of its positioning.

xzx

Smash Lord
Aha. That explains why I fail so much with the CG since I have my grab at Z. Will try changing my X-button to a grab button since I never hop with X anyway. Thank you for the tip, Reflex!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I mean, it still takes some practice to get used to, but, I realized that that's what kept my practice from helping. I only use the X button for chaingrabbing. I hope it works well for you.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
the thing masky told me that made me go from never getting it to getting it 95% of the time in one night

was wen u start d-throwing, look really closely at his hands

already be holding back on the stick, the 2nd u see his hands get small and close,

let go of the stick, and slide ur finger off the corner of X (set to grab) so u BARELY press it down at all, just enough to here the click of the button, thats it

if u do it right, wario will turn and grab on the first possible frame

and it feels REALLY satisfying for some reason

xzx

Smash Lord
@Reflex: Of course, everything requires practice. Thank you.

@Seibrik: Thank you. Nice. The reason it feels satisfying is because Falco deserves it since his CG is cheaper. Wario's CG requires skills and practicing, but it's still dumb, since it destroys certain characters.

xzx

Smash Lord
@Seibrik: I know, but CGs are stupid and shoudn't even exist. I am not defending Falco's CG, because it is cheap, but Wario really shuts down i.e. Bowser with his CG. If Falco can CG Wario, then Wario should CG Falco. But the game would be better without cheap, pathetic and dumb CGs.

@Lord Chair: Lolol. =P

Labernash

Smash Lord
His UpB is faster than spotdodge. And our grab. Just don't tell anyone, and we can still do the CG to scrub Bowsers.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
if the only option he has is spamming up b, just d-throw-> shield and laugh when u get another free grab at low% or free fsmash/fart at high%

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
bowser: 0 - 150% (not exactly)
falco: 53 - 121%
wolf: 59 - 200% (not exactly)
ganon: 0 - 90% (not exactly)
dk: 0 - 130% (not exactly)

btw.: you can use from 0 - 17% bite to grab against all of these characters. that means: bowser, ganon and dk are ****ed up at the start of the match already

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
You forgot CF S!C. Falco, Wolf, and Ganon are right. The other two are wrong by quite a bit though. Bowser is till 180% and Donkey you have to stop at 100% and then start again at 110% for a CG to 145. CF is 0-70% I think.

I assume we're pretty much done with Falco now?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
@Seibrik: I know, but CGs are stupid and shoudn't even exist. I am not defending Falco's CG, because it is cheap, but Wario really shuts down i.e. Bowser with his CG. If Falco can CG Wario, then Wario should CG Falco. But the game would be better without cheap, pathetic and dumb CGs.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Lol chaingrabs aren't dumb and pathetic. Wtf. How do you come up with these things?? xD

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
You forgot CF S!C. Falco, Wolf, and Ganon are right. The other two are wrong by quite a bit though. Bowser is till 180% and Donkey you have to stop at 100% and then start again at 110% for a CG to 145. CF is 0-70% I think.

I assume we're pretty much done with Falco now?
I was thinking about mention CF as well, but I really don't know the CG data about him. Nobody knows it :/ I can buffer CG him sometimes and sometimes not. If someone of you know the correct CG times against CF, please let me know. This would be soooo useful against him (stupid GR 2 knee).

xzx

Smash Lord
Lol chaingrabs aren't dumb and pathetic. Wtf. How do you come up with these things?? xD
Yes, they are? Think of how much better Brawl would be without stupid CGs, meaningless infinites and dumb grab-releases.

But can we CG Bowser or not? S!C's posts confused me. =)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Think of how much better Brawl would be without stupid scrubs, whiners and morons.

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
Yes, they are? Think of how much better Brawl would be without stupid CGs, meaningless infinites and dumb grab-releases.
I agree that the game would be better without infinites, and I think that having unpopular opinions shouldn't automatically label you as a scrub, but please try to sound as little like a scrub as possible when arguing arguments that are commonly associated with scrubs. You seem to have done the opposite of this.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
As much as I dislike getting 0-deathed by DDD as DK, and as much as you dislike Falcos CG or getting air released. there is really no point in calling them cheap. There isn't really anything you can do about them (or then ban them from your own tournaments...) other than accept them as part of the game.
Calling something "cheap" is generally viewed on SWF as "a word used by inexperienced players to complain about tactics that they have not figured out a way to beat". You're not inexperienced, and I'm sure you don't want people to think so either. So don't call things cheap, mkay? I know that you're good and I will be reminded of that when we play at 2HOT this month =).

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Actually, cheaper is almost always better. The word "cheap" accurately describes the amount of effort something costs to be effective. It is a cost-benefit analysis, something "cheap" like Falco's chaingrab versus something "expensive" like Falcon's Knee.

People often have ill will towards cheap things because they are easy for noobs to utilize and their buddies often have no answer. An effective way to "cut costs" are to use a higher tiered character, because they often are not proficient enough to combat Falco with someone like C. Falcon. This is why a video of Falcon beating Falco will get thousands of views on youtube, because it is simply amazing to see such an expensive character best a cheap one.

For pros, cheaper is better. Guaranteed damage can provide a really nice boost in a highly competitive match, where your opponent is way better than your roommate and gaining the upper hand is significantly more difficult. Thus, in a competitive match cheaper is better. In a smashfest with your roommates, cheaper is frowned upon for scrub reasons. It all depends on your aim of the game. Do you want to get better?

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
Long story short, both of the characters have some good stuff on the other one, so it is pretty much 0. Wario's cg can be a big turn in this matchup, however, being a major damage racking. Falco is still the one racking up damage the best. Wario can be seen as "free combos" in many aspects. I, for one, like to think that. When it comes to the killing, all Falco need to do is camping lazers and wait for the right moment to strike. A smart falco knows he only has a few killing options, and will wait for the right opportunity.
Those who knows the wario matchup knows that jump cancel usmash is risky against his aerials, having such an annoying drifting ability so it's not anything I'd advice to falcos. Maybe wario's dair, unless he crossovers. Wario's fsmash and ftilt is also giving too much sheild push to do the usmash then too. Oos short hop bair on the other hand, works much better against wario. If wario plays safe, it's just to keep on lazering. When wario exteeds a high % enough, falco gets new killing opportunities, and it gets harder for wario.

Also note that falco often can get his kill by his dthrow. If wario DI's low, bDACUS is very often guaranteed. If DI'd upwards, falco can do a full hop uair. If not DI'd at all (direction: somewhere between) he can run, turn and bair. None of these two last are guaranteed (uair can be DI'd sideways and the bair can be avoided, depending on wario's % before the dthrow), but it sure is dangerous at higher percentages.

I'd also like to add that wario's fair poking can be inadvicable if it's predictable. Falco can beat it with utilt.

Being an insider from the falcos, I hope this helped.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Pwneroni I have never ever seen anyone say that as well as you did. 5 internets to you.

xzx

Smash Lord
Wow, stalkers... I'm not going to discuss this thing in this thread. Better do it somewhere else.

Anyway, let's get back on topic. The next character we are going to discuss is Marth. So here we go!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
[COLLAPSE="On Marth:"]
From what I remember, the 2008 frame data thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204825 is fairly accurate.

I don't like to use frame data as a means of defining a matchup, however. While I extensively apply it during gameplay, mere numbers can't give strong enough an insight in the MU (look at Mario's frame data, that stuff is ridiculously broken). Marth's spacing is in an entire league of its own in terms of safety, versatility and pressure. A retreating nair is safe in every possible way, the only way to effectively counter it is by accepting the fact that you just got a tad bit more zoning, IF IT'S WHIFFED.

There's the thing, there's the moving wall concept Marc is so salty about. If it's whiffed it's... sorta ok? If it hits you it hits you, if it hits your shield you're in a worse position than before.

Honestly, nair on shield gives him so many options which are safe to throw out. Not safe because you have to make a fairly hard read to counter it, but because there's just extremely minimal counterplay to every followup he makes. Even if you commit to making a read, you face the problem that a missed read almost always loses to whatever other option he's choosing to commit to. You predict that tipper fsmash after the nair? Only real counterplay is spotdodging (and timing it well, too!). If you spotdodge and he decides to go for another SH nair, SH fair, jab, dtilt or simply doing nothing you'll get wrecked for it. Your amount of effective counterplay options already greatly diminishes when you get to fsmash killing percent, if only because getting grabbed is almost inevitable with the amount of commitments Wario has to make.

If you stop committing because you're afraid of being grabbed, you stop having options and the MU is over. You must commit to shield approaches to (re)take zoning, you must commit to bland SH fairs to beat his fastfalled aerials and you must commit to FH DJ dair (note: FH DJ dair is probably the most commitment you can put in an approach) if you want to beat out mere advancing nairs. Marth constantly forces you to react even though he doesn't even have to throw anything out to do that. If he simply dashes at you you must make a choice, a choice that has a large chance of being countered by an empty shorthop.

As said, you're forced to throw out stuff you don't usually want to randomly throw out. His empty short hop is deadly because if you don't have the balls to go up to him and commit to an advancing fair (you can try bair but fair being a lasting hitbox is an important asset) he's going to give you headaches with whatever option he chooses.

I'm not sure if I'm repeating things, if that's the case I'm sorry this is just a stream of consciousness.

Being ledge trapped is also stupid and you must force yourself to either spend resources to go high enough to have a shot of safely landing onstage (resources being a double jump and perhaps your bike) or to do something that simply isn't safe, like ledge hopping a Bite or an airdodge. Again, you have to respond. You can't stay on the ledge especially with how tight Wario's ledge invincibility refresh options are, keep in mind that having your double jump dtilted means death. You must respond to him whiffing fastfalled aerials and dtilts at your ledge position, you can't do that with an aerial of your own (in fact, trying to break his wall by doing that and failing means losing your DJ and losing your stock). If you want to come back with an aerial you have to catch him in the startup frames of his jump or simply before he throws out his aerial. How do you do that? Yeah, by starting your move way in advance and risking being dtilted.

It's just really stupid, I'm just sketching scenarios here that are mere examples of the tons and tons of ******** situations you can be put in if Marth is capable of keeping his execution on-point. If you think I am leaving out Wario's counterplay then you should read again because I noted the sort of counterplay Wario tends to have: risky stuff with a meager tradeoff. Stuff that takes a while to actually become a strong setup. You are entirely dependent in this matchup of Marth simply messing up.

And there is the good news: perfect execution from Marth's part is not a human thing. Honestly it's inevitable to mess up for Marth, more so than for any other character we can play against (looks at MK). He will mess up and that will net you something you would otherwise never have access to. Think of a fastfalled uair or simply a SH nair (Marth's physics are PERFECT for Wario's nair), these are moves you would otherwise never get and you'd be stuck with chipping away with fairs, bairs and throws with minimal followup potential (at low%) until they actually become a setup for themselves or other moves (at higher%).

That's how (imo) anyone in here should judge what the MU ratio is. It entirely depends on how perfect you think a human can control Marth and how that translates into this matchup. I believe that level of perfection is potentially very high and that's why I rate it -2.
[/COLLAPSE]
Is that okay?

xzx

Smash Lord
Excellent post, Reflex. That is absolutely okay. I agree with your (Lord Chair's) post. Marth's range and frame data (like MK's) is a really pain in the *** for Wario. Punishes is all what this MU is for Wario. Tires is a good way of keeping stage control, but Marth has an easy time eliminating them. Try to get Marth off stage and edge hog him. Marth's grab-release on Wario is deadly, so avoid it! There isn't much more to say than what the post Reflex covered up. -2 for Wario.

TheReflexWonder: -2
xzx: -2

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I have since gotten a bit more positive about the MU but I stick to the -2. Everything I wrote back still holds its ground, I just want anyone reading it to pay special attention to beating fastfalled aerials by attacking Marth in the startup. That's when he's especially vulnerable and somewhat telegraphed (he doesn't have as much freedom in his timing as you may think, varying his timing means varying his spacing/zoning to his disadvantage (having to give up more space than necessary, enjoying less broken frame advantages etc.)). Usually, however, beating those startups is an ultimate commitment, an everything or nothing. Don't tilt and overcommit or you will lose the MU.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
i think im unnaturally positive about all of wario's MU's....

I'd say -1 at worst cuz i secretly think its even o_O

i have a secret edgeguard i like to use vs marth and peach, cuz their up b's are kinda similar to me

since they both have hitbox's above their heads, their hitbox reaches the ledge before their bodies do

so vs them, i like to f-throw off stage at reasonable%, where they're bairly in bubble, and i kno they gotta up b to survive

i pressure the high option a little by jumping out/receding quickly so they wana choose the low option more often out of fear of losing their dj

once conditioned to go low, or if i think they're gona go low initially, i run off stage and bike back so the bike falls, and sits on the edge of the stage.

from here i time my grab ledge if i still have time so i have some invincibility during their up-b

if u do it right, when they up b, the bike should lag their hitbox and force them to go a little over u and be stuck there for half a second too long, just long enough for you to get a free fart if u have it, if not u can nair/bair them back out without them landing/repeat situation, or take a free uair for the damage.

yeaps, if u want i'll be playing vs garret (2link)'s peach tonight, and i can get some matches recorded to show u examples of this.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I noticed a similar situation against Kismet; putting the bike next to the ledge lags out recoveries, so you get more time to punish than normal.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
i have no idea what thats supposed to mean but it sounds like something that only works if marth doesnt recover properly

like, if you can condition them to recover exactly the way you want them to you might as well invincinair/footstool/bair them

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
chair, while thats true its riskier to do that cuz i personally don't wana risk mis-timing it and getting stagespiked or w.e.

this way is pretty consistant

also i forgot to mention i like doing this vs mk.

it doesnt punish his recoveries directly but if u have the bike at the edge when he's on the ledge, it makes getting up from the edge much harder as it makes ALL his aerials much less safe since they lag hard core on the bike

even invincibility uair is punishable UPON PREDICTION (not reaction) with a fart or a super risky fastfall Uair
***EDIT***
also, if he tries to ledeghop->airdodge-> ftilt like alot of mk's try to do, chances are it wont work and the ftilt will turn into ->pick up bike :troll:

just saying

but its RLY nice pressure if u wait patiently, they usually panic and try to nado around the bike, and if u have fart its easy to fart cuz its a slower nado (lagging on bike) if u dont have fart its an easier fsmash timing

also the worst thing they can do in this situation is break the bike over time, which gives us 3 benefits in itself

1) wastes their ledgegrabs in process
2)wastes time/building fart
3) gives us tires :)

YEAP

btw again im super biased/optimistic and think mk/wario is 50/50 AT WORST 55/45 mk (just cuz of zoning advantage on stage)

xzx

Smash Lord
Lord Chair: -2
Sensei Seibrik: -1

Please show us some videos, Seibrik! =)

Lord Chair

Smash Master
btw again im super biased/optimistic and think mk/wario is 50/50 AT WORST 55/45 mk (just cuz of zoning advantage on stage)
I really don't want to be a **** but you pretty much summarized your post right there.

Like, the whole ledge thing doesn't matter in the end simply because MK never actually has to get onto the stage if he doesn't want to. When I read ''he'll panic and nado around the bike'' or whatever I can't help but think 'who the **** is this scrub'. Then I see it's Seibrik and I realize I'm supposed to respect that name.

I'm not taking a 50-50 opinion on MK-Wario seriously regardless though. I'm sorry I've been through too many discussions on that.

xzx

Smash Lord
Lord Chair: -2
Sensei Seibrik: -1
Croi: -2

Marths tends to do alot of UpBs recently... which means punishing alot with wafts!

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I'm gona try to get some vids vs Esam/Mvd's marths (only cuz they're the best marths in my immediate vaccinity)

i'm sorry if i think his mobility gives him wayy too many options to just get shutout

anyways, i'll see wut i can do with vids this weekend.

Top Bottom