• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
The obvious thing to do is to use the various microgames in Warioware a reference for his moveset, but frankly I'm glad they didn't go with that. A completely original moveset (or perhaps not so completely), but still exactly captures Wario's greedy, flawed and dastardly personality and Warioware's silliness is the perfect 100% Warioware representation. Except the fart. That can go.

Wario Land moveset does not complement Warioware Wario, which is what Brawl was going for. And honestly, what was there from Wario Land to bring aside from the shoulder bash and the butt stomp to Brawl? We already got one of them (albeit functioned very differently), but aside from those there was the arguably more important enemy pick up and also Wario Land 4's sprint headbutt move thing but how'd they work in the context of Smash? I'm drawing blanks. Wario World has a lot to bring but there are already obvious nods in Wario's current moveset. And honestly nobody cared for Wario World, sadly. lol It is a very average game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still dreaming of the day I get to pick up petty fools like they are some measly play ball and throw them into their inevitable doom in Smash.

Not only is the bike an integral part of the character, but it also shaped up Wario's meta game and was the reason he was the third best character for a while, and it gave him a recovery option to the point he's consider to have one of the best recoveries. The bike was a unique move that only Wario had access to. Keep it.

I will not miss the fart though, as long as he gets another reliable way to KO...if the fart was even reliable at all.

Wario World is full of fighting, the powerups in the land games give plenty to work with as well as the shake move in Wario Land Shake it. It could have been way better.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's obvious that balance is key for Wario, since he represents two series. Catering to one series and leaving the other like the way Sakurai did is not a good idea, at all.

Nor is ignoring Warioware and giving him a completely Wario Land-centric like a lot of people here want.
Or maybe get another Wario character representing the other series. Like Warioware Wario with Captain Syrup, or Wario Land Wario with a Warioware member (which I'd prefer)?
Wario World is full of fighting, the powerups in the land games give plenty to work with as well as the shake move in Wario Land Shake it. It could have been way better.
How would the power ups work though? You need the enemies, but would they really work in Smash? Not to mention that most of the power ups won't work in the context of Smash.
I just can't see him getting the power ups. Maybe Puff Wario as an Up B but that's it. (I think the corkscrew is fine.)
Shake It was out after Brawl, so there's that.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
It's obvious that balance is key for Wario, since he represents two series. Catering to one series and leaving the other like the way Sakurai did is not a good idea, at all.

Nor is ignoring Warioware and giving him a completely Wario Land-centric like a lot of people here want.
Or maybe get another Wario character representing the other series. Like Warioware Wario with Captain Syrup, or Wario Land Wario with a Warioware member (which I'd prefer)?

How would the power ups work though? You need the enemies, but would they really work in Smash? Not to mention that most of the power ups won't work in the context of Smash.
I just can't see him getting the power ups. Maybe Puff Wario as an Up B but that's it. (I think the corkscrew is fine.)
Shake It was out after Brawl, so there's that.

Shakie it was more of a future hope. But that same reasoning invalidates Mario using a fireball.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I dont really mind the moveset. THe bite, shoulder, and swingading are all present in Wario World. Love the paddycake atack in the air.

its the music that bugs me. WHY WAS THIS IGNORED:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Not only is the bike an integral part of the character, but it also shaped up Wario's meta game and was the reason he was the third best character for a while, and it gave him a recovery option to the point he's consider to have one of the best recoveries. The bike was a unique move that only Wario had access to. Keep it.

I will not miss the fart though, as long as he gets another reliable way to KO...if the fart was even reliable at all.
Wario was only seen as a very viable character for a while. As someone who used to regularly play at least a half dozen former or current players who were at some point one of the 10 best Wario players in the world, I will tell you that the bike really wasn't that useful.

Well then move the bike to Wario's neutral B and give him his shoulder bash as his side B.

As Project M has shown us, Sakurai's decision to exclude most semblances of Wario's Wario Land history was a mistake. The shoulder bash and added aggression would have done wonders for Wario, and would have helped Wario players make Brawl a less campy/stalling-induced/boring game (especially competitively).

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm still searching for a GameStop in my area that actually HAS Shake IT!, but I'll try my best to do Wario justice below.

IDEAS TO BUFF WARIO:

-Jab should become Wario Punch. Punch, punch, headbutt. Same damage, just new animations.
-Down Aerial becomes Ground Pound. Easy to meteor smash and same damage.
-Chomp can suck in coins now, making him extremely useful in Coin Battles.
-Forward Throw becomes more similar to Wild Swing-A-Ding.
-Up Throw becomes Piledriver as he throws the opponent into the air and then smacks them into the ground, creating a small shockwave as well. Same damage.
-Back Throw becomes Power Throw, heaving the opponent over his head and throwing them. Same damage.
-Pummel simply shakes the opponent in reference to Shake It!. Same damage.
-Down Smash becomes Earthshake Punch. Same damage.
-Dash Attack becomes Shoulder Charge. I know, risky, but it's way more powerful than a normal Dash Attack at 13%.
- Wario's Grab can involve a Bucket, referencing one of Wario's first appearances outside of his series.
-Wario's new Forward Smash becomes him using the Bull Pot to charge and headbutt. Deals 15%.
-Forward Aerial becomes Jet Pot, using thrusters on new hat to burst forward with open arms. Same damage.
-Back Aerial becomes Dragon Pot. Releases fire-effect bursts. Deals as much as before.

AND THERE YOU GO!

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I'm still searching for a GameStop in my area that actually HAS Shake IT!, but I'll try my best to do Wario justice below.

IDEAS TO BUFF WARIO:

-Jab should become Wario Punch. Punch, punch, headbutt. Same damage, just new animations.
-Down Aerial becomes Ground Pound. Easy to meteor smash and same damage.
-Chomp can suck in coins now, making him extremely useful in Coin Battles.
-Forward Throw becomes more similar to Wild Swing-A-Ding.
-Up Throw becomes Piledriver as he throws the opponent into the air and then smacks them into the ground, creating a small shockwave as well. Same damage.
-Back Throw becomes Power Throw, heaving the opponent over his head and throwing them. Same damage.
-Pummel simply shakes the opponent in reference to Shake It!. Same damage.
-Down Smash becomes Earthshake Punch. Same damage.
-Dash Attack becomes Shoulder Charge. I know, risky, but it's way more powerful than a normal Dash Attack at 13%.
- Wario's Grab can involve a Bucket, referencing one of Wario's first appearances outside of his series.
-Wario's new Forward Smash becomes him using the Bull Pot to charge and headbutt. Deals 15%.
-Forward Aerial becomes Jet Pot, using thrusters on new hat to burst forward with open arms. Same damage.
-Back Aerial becomes Dragon Pot. Releases fire-effect bursts. Deals as much as before.

AND THERE YOU GO!
Listen man, we want Wario to be better than average, but not overpowered! XD
Anyways, yeah I agree his Wario World throws should have been his throws and the new pummel should be a shake. That would be lovely Sakurai! :)

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Listen man, we want Wario to be better than average, but not overpowered! XD
Anyways, yeah I agree his Wario World throws should have been his throws and the new pummel should be a shake. That would be lovely Sakurai! :)

That's the best part. No damage percentages change, just good ol' animation changes and a few tweaks to the hitboxes and BOOM! Wario's got his platforming history and mini-game history easily represented :colorful:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
That's the best part. No damage percentages change, just good ol' animation changes and a few tweaks to the hitboxes and BOOM! Wario's got his platforming history and mini-game history easily represented :colorful:
Exactly! I loved the fact his Final Smash was WarioMan! And I really wished one of his taunts was picking his nose, I feel that's his trademark laziness showing at his best. And I don't know about you guys, but I loved the Wario Waft as there was something funny and fitting about it :p

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I'd rather just want to have Waluigi be playable IMO :3
Me too, but I'm saying if he isn't playable, then at least give Wario the Waluigi color scheme, it would more like Waluigi at least rather than Luigi having it where Luigi looks nothing like Waluigi.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Mario has a Wario color, so it only makes sense for Luigi to have a Waluigi color, not Wario.

TeamFlareZakk

Mario has a Wario color, so it only makes sense for Luigi to have a Waluigi color, not Wario.
Don't you think maybe BOTH Luigi AND Wario should have Waluigi color schemes, after all Waluigi is technically a Wario version of Luigi, so it makes sense that perhaps Wario can have the color scheme too.

It's not fair that only Luigi gets the Waluigi color scheme, we even saw Waganon in Melee, I wish they'd bring Waganon back too.

D

Deleted member

I have a feeling that Wario will be announced before the end of this month.

As for changes I would like to see with Wario, I think he needs more representation from his Wario Land self. His pummel involves shaking people, his down aerial is a butt smash, his neutral ground attack would be his current side tilt attack while his side tilt would be him kicking, and his up special move would involve him puffing up like a balloon for a brief period. I would also like to see is his forward grab to become his backwards grab and the grab should be interchangeable (you can choose to throw your opponent forward or backward while he is spinning around) and his forward grab would instead be him throwing his opponent with one arm with great force.

TeamFlareZakk

I totally agree, the Wario Bike was good, but I'd rather him just have that in his victory taunt, I like his Stun Muscle shoulder smash, that would be cool, also I'd be all for replacing that Bv move with Ground Pound.

I'd like to see a new final smash too, I have no idea what, but I'm not a big fan of Warioman.

I too hope we see Wario next, and if he is revealed this month, excellent.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
@AgatioGanon
Fair enough. I wouldn't mind both of them getting the color, I just think it's understandable that Luigi takes precedence.

I would also like to see is his forward grab to become his backwards grab and the grab should be interchangeable (you can choose to throw your opponent forward or backward while he is spinning around) and his forward grab would instead be him throwing his opponent with one arm with great force.
This would be pretty unbalanced since your opponent would be forced to guess which direction to DI. They wouldn't know how far they would fly until release, which would give Wario a huge advantage in chasing after the throw.

D

Deleted member

This would be pretty unbalanced since your opponent would be forced to guess which direction to DI. They wouldn't know how far they would fly until release, which would give Wario a huge advantage in chasing after the throw.
I guess you're right...

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I really hope that wario can get a wario land moveset this time ...
In MY OPINION the "wario ware" moves looks stupid.
And his running animation...WTF.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
B Up - Wario Waft
B Neutral - Bite (maybe give it a Kirby-esque vacuum effect to make it more akin to his attack from Wario World)
B Side - Shoulder Charge
B Down - Wario Bike
Final Smash - Wario Man

Throws - have him shake opponents for his pummel to represent Shake It, keep the rest the same since they reference Wario World quite well

A moves - make his Dair a ground pound, his other signature move from the Wario Land games, have the Corkscrew become his Uair, the rest are fine.

Smashes - make his Down Smash the Earthquake Punch from Shake It (a la Project M), the rest are fine.

That's a near perfect moveset in my opinion. Both the Wario platform games and the Wario Ware series are well represented, plus there's a lot of originality in there that reflects his personality. Also none of his specials from Brawl have been (completely) cut.

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
I think Wario should be a bit bigger this time. He seemed a little small and wonky when walking during the fighting in Brawl

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

How do you figure? If holding Up is fine DI for the current F-Throw, then couldn't you just hold Up whether or not he decided to throw you forward or backward in that case...?

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
How do you figure? If holding Up is fine DI for the current F-Throw, then couldn't you just hold Up whether or not he decided to throw you forward or backward in that case...?
If they ended up having identical knockback, then yes, I suppose this would be a possible solution. However, if the horizontal knockback was fairly high, it would still be somewhat unfair in my opinion.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
My theory is that Brawl used his Warioware design so they could give him the Bike. When's the last time you saw a Fighting game character ride a motorcycle?

It always felt weird that Wario moved sluggishly on land but fast in the air. What was up with that? Well, it is unique, so I shouldn't complain.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
My theory is that Brawl used his Warioware design so they could give him the Bike. When's the last time you saw a Fighting game character ride a motorcycle?

Though admittedly, Rufus doesn't use his in-game. Wario is cooler anyway.

D

Deleted member

"When's the last time you saw a fighting game character use a motorcycle?"

Ghost Rider in UMvC3.
Granted, it was after Brawl, but still.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Am I the only one who isn't a fan of his choppy animations? It kinda makes him feel pretty unnatural, even considering the heavy WarioWare inspiration.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
It kinda fits his odd personality and humor.
I completely disagree with that. Wario isn't supposed to be wildly hyperactive and enthusiastic, he's meant to look bored and disinterested and move slowly and sluggishly. But when he hits, he hits hard, and when he sees treasure, he goes wild for it. They absolutely ****ed up with his representation in SSBB. He can't stop jerking around, he literally never loses his ridiculous smile and bugged out eyes, and he moves like Mr. Game and Watch. Especially when he's alongside Mario and Luigi, who he's appeared with countless times and moved the same way they do, it just looks completely stupid and totally ruins the character.

His moveset is just awful. There are so many things they could've drawn inspiration from in the Wario Land series, and all he has to show for it is a crawling animation and a terrible side smash. They relegated his most iconic move to a side smash that doesn't even animate like the real thing. Instead, they put in farts and giant head moves, as well as random **** that has no origin and was just made up on the spot, like all of the spinning attacks.

They should be plainly embarrassed about Brawl Wario.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I completely disagree with that. Wario isn't supposed to be wildly hyperactive and enthusiastic, he's meant to look bored and disinterested and move slowly and sluggishly. But when he hits, he hits hard, and when he sees treasure, he goes wild for it. They absolutely ****ed up with his representation in SSBB. He can't stop jerking around, he literally never loses his ridiculous smile and bugged out eyes, and he moves like Mr. Game and Watch. Especially when he's alongside Mario and Luigi, who he's appeared with countless times and moved the same way they do, it just looks completely stupid and totally ruins the character.

His moveset is just awful. There are so many things they could've drawn inspiration from in the Wario Land series, and all he has to show for it is a crawling animation and a terrible side smash. They relegated his most iconic move to a side smash that doesn't even animate like the real thing. Instead, they put in farts and giant head moves, as well as random **** that has no origin and was just made up on the spot, like all of the spinning attacks.

Well..I thought the Wario in Brawl is based on the Warioware franchise..not the warioland franchise...except for the forward smash.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

While I do agree that Brawl Wario was disappointing, I'm certain he's not "bored and disinterested", and despite his girth, he's pretty agile. Sure, he's lazy to a degree, and as you said, he goes wild at the sight of treasure. Though I'm certain his teeth are always exposed.

Well..I thought the Wario in Brawl is based on the Warioware franchise..not the warioland franchise...except for the forward smash.
The thing is, while they did an excellent job at representing WarioWare, they ****ed up by not representing Wario Land enough, which is a great part of the Wario series.

Also, I'm pretty certain the spinning moves are related to Wario Land/Wario World.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Which is terrible. When you have an action platformer with a fighting/puzzle emphasis starring a character, why make **** up? It was simply a stupid move. Hardly any of his moves are actually based on something in Wario Ware, only the Waft and the Bike. Either series, they got his personality totally wrong. Wario is not a different character in the Wario Ware games, he's just in a different setting. He's still just as physically normal, and doesn't constantly jerk around like he's on crystal meth.

While I do agree that Brawl Wario was disappointing, I'm certain he's not "bored and disinterested", and despite his girth, he's pretty agile. Sure, he's lazy to a degree, and as you said, he goes wild at the sight of treasure. Though I'm certain his teeth are always exposed.
Watch that crowdfarter video. Watch the intro cutscene to The Shake Dimension. Watch his idle pose in Wario Land 2, Super Mario 64 DS or Wario World. He often has his eyes half shut, and generally moves pretty sluggishly. One of the biggest things about him previously was that he was slower and less agile than Mario, but more powerful (and this is even directly apparently in SM64DS since both characters are playable.) Except for when he's in the thick of the action, Wario would rather be sleeping.

Top Bottom