• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Wow DMG thanks for that post. A lot of it is very helpful. Falco seems so weird for me because I can see what he's doing, but what works on most characters as punishment did not work D:

I see your point tho...if I am not 100% on the punish I should bite (which i didnt do and got spotdodge jab'd/grabbed or spotdodge uptilted numerous times) or just not commit to a punish at all and hover to see his reaction. Logical logical stuff...I will work on it. Most ppl when I ask about the matchup just say "learn the CG" like there is no other way to win so its good to see a nice lengthy paragraph explaining how to effectively punish rather than "go into training mode and everything wil be all better".

TL;DR DMG, u da man.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Also Malcolm, small note. The CG on Falco doesn't work as well in training mode as in a regular match. If you want to practice it, a better way would be to get another controller/set the CPU to level 1, and try to CG then. Like you can still CG him in training mode, but it's much shorter and you might miss him at 80-90% when in reality it's guaranteed at those %'s too. You might already know that, but it's useful to know.

Also on that note, pummeling refreshes staleness. To maximize your CG, you should not pummel, or only pummel on the last grab for some damage. Otherwise, you might do some damage through pummels, but have the CG cut short and you either miss the regrab and get punished, or you end up doing less damage overall either way.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
*namesearches*

Random stage tip: Falco likes to camp camp camp under platforms because it limits your approach. So Smashville is, IMO, a good stage for Wario.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The more you know, the more you know!

Gichan

Smash Champion
Jnig, those matches were very **** interesting, that use of ftilt was so **** good. I didn't think it would be effective with G&W, what do you wait for to use it? As in, what do you wait for/predict to use it?

DMG, those are some awesome tips on the falco MU, seriously it was written **** well. Good tips, I found it helped me out a lot vs them.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
yo sometimes.... it's not all about the money

just kidding it's ALWAYS about the money

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
how come you don't waft?
In friendlies, I tend to play more relaxed, focusing more on reacting to my opponent, so I use wafts a lot. In tournament, I guess I get tense, so I feel like I shouldn't waste any wafts. I did hit one in the second match, tho! When you play very skilled players, you don't get many chances, so maybe playing them a lot has discouraged me from wafting as well.

So yea, I'll try to use wafts more often.

Jnig, those matches were very **** interesting, that use of ftilt was so **** good. I didn't think it would be effective with G&W, what do you wait for to use it? As in, what do you wait for/predict to use it?
I think ftilt outranges most of GW's moves, so if I predict any ground move (usually any smash or a dtilt), I can usually space an ftilt. Same goes for if they try to get back onstage by dropping off the ledge and jumping with a fair or nair. I predict, space, and punish with an ftilt. Against most characters, ftilt is a really spacing move, imo.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
C'mon guys I know the quality is ****ty and it's wifi but critique plz.

@jnig I understand the opportunities are limited. But if you look for an opening to waft it will more than likely be there. It's too good of a move to simply neglect.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I'll finally be getting some vids soon, finally! but I already know that I have a hard time with keeping my second jump unpredictable, have you guys ever caught that of yourselves? and how did you overcome it?

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Hunger, that was an amazing bite guard. I think he could have gotten back, but it caught him off guard. I thought I was the only one who ever really goes for those. You guys are too good.

Gichan

Smash Champion
It's a funny thign with Wario, he seems balanced in all three brawl games (normal, +. -). DK able to throw barrels is just ****ing hilarious!

Gichan

Smash Champion
JNig, I watched some of the matches yesterday and I gotta say you played **** well for the most part. Just the waft thing that hump mentioned last time. You really mixed up your approaches and you kept your jumping unpredictable. Although the DDD seemed to be a bootleg one, not enough bairs and went for too many grabs. You handled the G&W well.

I learned a lot from watching those, especially your mix-ups.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Malcolm vs AlphaZealot @ Pound 4.

Game 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjQ2rzLh4Y
Game 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htN6XIcM1l0

Game 1 I feel is a bit more sloppy on both of our ends. Mine was sloppier in play and well AZ's unfortunate SD was his sloppiness. Tell me what you liked, didn't like, would have differently and thought was stupid on my part. Any of those things or just a critique in general would be nice.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Malcolm vs AlphaZealot @ Pound 4.

Game 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjQ2rzLh4Y
Game 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htN6XIcM1l0

Game 1 I feel is a bit more sloppy on both of our ends. Mine was sloppier in play and well AZ's unfortunate SD was his sloppiness. Tell me what you liked, didn't like, would have differently and thought was stupid on my part. Any of those things or just a critique in general would be nice.
I'm just curious about your lack of dthrow and why you prefer uthrow or fthrow to it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You play the Diddy matchup fairly well actually. The only thing I can tell you is to pick up a bit on player habits and try to punish those more or read them a bit earlier on while playing so you can have a bigger sense of security while playing.

AZ for example rolled a lot in certain situations. If you saw this, you could chase him and try to punish, or when you think that would happen spend time trying to maybe get the banana behind you or just getting in a better position against him. That's generally what I do when I know someone rolls a bit, I either punish it or if I think I can't, just kinda respace myself in a more comfortable area.

Another thing I noticed was that from the ledge, AZ would drop down, Upb to the edge 1 or 2 times, and then jump up from the ledge. Usually this was accompanied with a Fair as well. If you spot something like that on the edge, you can either punish them before their attack comes out/after they have barely jumped off the ledge, or you can bait the Fair, move in and punish. For a move like Fart, doing that as they jump up is a tad easier, where as for like Uair waiting for their Fair to come out and then hit them works better. Also from the edge with good timing, you can Ftilt them and it can cover a lot of whether they jump up, stand up, drop down and misspace the edge snap, etc.

The only other thing I can think of really is that with a good enough lead, depending on how confident/good you are at it, you can go ahead and try to time Diddy out/play keep away. While doing this, you obviously try to avoid Diddy's stronger moves while at the same time making Diddy fight on your turf, in the air. This makes it easier for Wario to get in safe damage while also avoiding the traps like Banana slip/trip into Dsmash/Fsmash. This is even more powerful if his Fair has already been staled, as each time he uses it he basically doesn't get that much closer to killing you. If he's used it even 3 times or so, the killing power on it is drastically reduced to where you can reasonably live up to 180+ with good DI/SDI and not getting hit by moves closer to the blast zone/super super high up Uair.

You can beat Diddy without camping him IMO, and you certainly proved you can handle most aspects of that matchup well, but combine that with running away a little and I think Wario can be a nightmare for Diddy. This is only if you feel confident in doing that, otherwise just keep doing what you do and don't worry about it. I don't always time out Diddy players when I play them, but I usually do try it in a single game or in serious friendlies just to see how they respond to it/see how I can abuse it.

Edit: Fthrow and Uthrow are much better to use against Diddy than Dthrow in MOST situations. I say most because sometimes there will be a banana you control on the ground right where Diddy will land after Dthrow which will allow you another free grab/hit, but besides that it's almost universally better to try and Fthrow/Uthrow him. Fthrow secures 13ish Damage on him, can be more with pummels, and against light characters it's better to get guaranteed damage than around half that damage non guaranteed with somewhat ok follow up options. Fthrow and Uthrow also place Diddy IMO in a worse spot than Dthrow most of the time. They keep him in the air, Dthrow he lands and can shield/try to outplay us there.

I will say however that I prefer Fthrow most of the time to Uthrow. I am not that fond of Uthrow most of the time, but that's just me usually since I like to get the most guaranteed damage out of a throw if I can without needing to read that hard for extra damage.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Fthrow and Uthrow are much better to use against Diddy than Dthrow in MOST situations. I say most because sometimes there will be a banana you control on the ground right where Diddy will land after Dthrow which will allow you another free grab/hit, but besides that it's almost universally better to try and Fthrow/Uthrow him. Fthrow secures 13ish Damage on him, can be more with pummels, and against light characters it's better to get guaranteed damage than around half that damage non guaranteed with somewhat ok follow up options. Fthrow and Uthrow also place Diddy IMO in a worse spot than Dthrow most of the time. They keep him in the air, Dthrow he lands and can shield/try to outplay us there.

I will say however that I prefer Fthrow most of the time to Uthrow. I am not that fond of Uthrow most of the time, but that's just me usually since I like to get the most guaranteed damage out of a throw if I can without needing to read that hard for extra damage.
Ah I see thanks for clearing that up. I just really like dthrow and try to read my opponent afterwards so I can get a decent follow up. Especially on low percentages or I get a grab close to the edge with my back to the edge.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That can be an exception depending on who you are playing against. If you Dthrow them and they land offstage/land in thin air, you have interesting options at that point that can be worth going for. Even then however, it depends on how damages they are, how they have responded in the past, if you have a fart ready or not, etc.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
That can be an exception depending on who you are playing against. If you Dthrow them and they land offstage/land in thin air, you have interesting options at that point that can be worth going for. Even then however, it depends on how damages they are, how they have responded in the past, if you have a fart ready or not, etc.
That makes sense so depending on X response i'd have Y answer and a potential kill right?

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Oh wow me vs Jash from the livestream was also recorded. Pretty good quality. Really unfortunate that we had to play each other so early D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9aVmFSzpY

I've never attempted to time a diddy out. I may try it because approaching wyatt is my biggest weakness. I get large leads and just blow them. I upthrow so that I can gain control of the bananas and idk if you saw it but if you grab diddy after you powershield a banana and upthrow him you will be able to perfect shield the fsmash after the trip. I did it with fthrow and AZ clearly hit me but because upthrow was in the process of happening...diddy had to come to the ground which gave me time to PS. Just something i thought was interesting. It happens in the 2nd video fthrow around 1:13 and upthrow at around 4:10. I did need to make better reads on his ledge options. Diddy is horrible at getting off the ledge. Guess i was just playin a lil too safe D:

Top Bottom