• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
Well me living in N.Y. I can play Jash when ever which I haven't had trouble with a T.L. yet.
And I can play DRK.Peach also.

Which can both teach me a lot at the same time. ^^

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Warios,

How do you get out of Falco's CG? I tried airdodge but he'll keep grabbing me even after 45%, I tried fairing which worked until he started buffering the grabs. Now I have no clue.

DI up or up and away? Airdodge or aerial?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
usually by that time im off the edge, so i just di away and airdodge as soon as i can. You'll know its time to get out when your path from the dthrow changes, and they are unable to hit you with a spike.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I think double jumping is a better option. Somewhere someone said that the startup frames on air dodging makes a difference as to the CG continuing or not. I probably wouldn't DJ if I'm at the edge for fear of getting spiked, but if you reach the 42(?)% on the stage somewhere then try double jumping instead.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
He shouldn't be able to grab you after 42%. DI away from him and Double Jump and you'll get out of it. If they go for the spike and you are at high percents, double stick DI towards the stage and you'll land on it, or you can meteor cancel into a bike and recover that way.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
He shouldn't be able to grab you after 42%. DI away from him and Double Jump and you'll get out of it. If they go for the spike and you are at high percents, double stick DI towards the stage and you'll land on it, or you can meteor cancel into a bike and recover that way.
With DI'ing away you mean up and away or just away?

Thanks for the info :)

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I've played a hell of a lot more Peaches with Wario than you have, DMG (including KOS-MOS and Praxis and Slikvik [I also play regularly with two solid Peach mains downtown])...
lol I had like zeeeero experience when we played though xD and Kos-Mos doesn't know the frame trap trixies.

I beat almost all the Warios at Genesis. Fiction, Futile, DMG, Pwneroni...crap, I missed Reflex D:

Fiction was just friendlies, he punched me in the face when I grab released him and threatened to go Metaknight if we MM'd. That jerk. D:
(he really did punch me LULZ)

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Fiction was just friendlies, he punched me in the face when I grab released him and threatened to go Metaknight if we MM'd. That jerk. D:
(he really did punch me LULZ)
Sooooo funny Praxis. Also I need to play fiction next time but he runs away every time I'm next in line for friendlies >_<

What are you silly wario mains thinking about the luigi matchup nowadays?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's barely 55:45 Wario favor IMO. Only because of stages.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
We kinda are into spiking Wario's off thier bike so be careful of this method. You might want to have a waft ready for longetivity.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
It's barely 55:45 Wario favor IMO. Only because of stages.
Mmm thats probably pretty accurate. On some stages I Would think Luigi has the advantage, but more of the neutrals lean towards wario (FD, Smashville)

Also DMG were you the long haired kid at the peach dinner? I was one of the guys sitting on the washington side of the table, dunno if you remember. I should have played you now that I think about it =/

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I was the long haired kid at the Peach Table yeah, next to my buddy Kosmos.

He really liked our waitress LOL.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I feel like my Wario is quite limited in the options to use in certain scenarios: like I fall back onto the same move patterns....

I've looked around but can't find anything but is there any approach or unique use of a move that will give me more options to use and stops me becoming repetitive?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Mix up short hops, full hops, fast falled approaches, airdodges, ground walking, ground running to shield, DACUS to approach, Bike, etc. He has a lot of options, it's more about reading your opponent than it is about trying to approach correctly.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Mix up short hops, full hops, fast falled approaches, airdodges, ground walking, ground running to shield, DACUS to approach, Bike, etc. He has a lot of options, it's more about reading your opponent than it is about trying to approach correctly.
Okay thanks, :chuckle:

Yeah, I've noticed how I do better with Wario when I punish the opponent, when I just go aggresive and dive in I end up being the one punished

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
She was white.

On my personal scale she was a 6.5.

The girl at the front desk though at the Ramada... OMG Billy and I had a LONG talk about how hard we would hit that. She was at least a 8.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
As who man? You gotta give me more info.

In general, easy way to win is Marth. Easy to pick up, easy to play properly against Wario, not much he can do about it aside from hope you mess up.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No but seriously Marth is easily the best overall choice against Wario. It's EASY to play Marth the right way and beat Wario. Characters like Peach and MK can do it, but they have to work a bit more to get that set up properly.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
for mk, i like to have a good amount of room to work with, so fd or smashville are probably your best bets for starters. This also doesn't give them any platforms to cancel their up b with.

Snakes, i've actually been wondering the same thing. If you pick a stage with platforms, it seems like they can camp under them with grenades and really limit your options. So i would think fd is a really good choice (especially cuz platforms don't really help you out against grab releases in this matchup), but then every time i play on fd, it seems like they just have too much room to set up zoning methods like grenade placement etc. Im at a loss for where to go against snake other than brinstar, but they always ban that... maybe smashville is the best bet.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
So Ripped Warios,

what stages do you recommend me for playing against snakes and MK (affinity)?
Quick fact about Affinity: he's very bad against Warios. He's in my circuit in the US.
He tries to stay on top of you too much. If he's approaching, I always f-smashed on reaction. He never expects a fart. He down-smashes quite a bit, so tap shield if you're in range.
Anyway, go Smashville, or Final. Couterpick Brinstar. Ban Mansion.

I dunno, I'm not that great, but I don't have much trouble with him (last time was in May, though).
I'm not saying he's bad at all, and he's actually one of my favorite players.
Kansas just doesn't have any Wario experience.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Quick fact about Affinity: he's very bad against Warios. He's in my circuit in the US.
He tries to stay on top of you too much. If he's approaching, I always f-smashed on reaction. He never expects a fart. He down-smashes quite a bit, so tap shield if you're in range.
Anyway, go Smashville, or Final. Couterpick Brinstar. Ban Mansion.

I dunno, I'm not that great, but I don't have much trouble with him (last time was in May, though).
I'm not saying he's bad at all, and he's actually one of my favorite players.
Kansas just doesn't have any Wario experience.
I've taken the time to learn the match-up since then. I actually know what to do now lol

Hype

Smash Lord
Does MK's aerial shuttle loop beat Wario's Dair? Infact, just tell me everything I need to know about priority in this match up please?

As an MK what do I do when Wario's Nair hits my shield? Do I wait for the 2nd hitbox to come out or try to attack in between the two hits? SL OoS probably works in between the hits but I don't know, I'm just theorizing.

Tiender Bocks

Smash Cadet
Hm, 'nother question... how do I play against a Pikachu who uses Dsmash a lot? Even if I approach from the air using Dair, I usually get caught in the Dsmash, and it eats up most of my shield if I do manage to shield from it.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
DI reads the direction you're holding at the time of a hit and uses it to influence your angle.

For example, if you get hit by an ike forward smash, if you hold away or towards ike, you'll just go in a straight line horizontally, but if you hold up, you'll go angled up.

Smash DI, however, is very different. During the actual hit animation, tapping a direction physically moves your character a tiny bit. So, if Kirby is jabbing you repeatedly, you can rapidly tap away and each tap will move you slightly away and you'll eventually get out of the jab. Or you can rapidly tap up and then jump out.

Multi-hit moves give you multiple opportunities to input Smash DI. So if Pikachu downsmashes you, you get to move your character slightly with one tap for each hit. So, rapidly tap up, and you'll bounce out of the Dsmash before it finishes and won't take the final hit.

If you can Smash DI well, it is impossible for Pikachu to kill you with his dsmash because you can SDI out of it before the last hit that launches you every time.

Top Bottom