• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Popertop

Smash Champion
are you serious TL does not rack damage faster than Olimar

and you can gimp him just learn how to

you aren't going to gimp a smart toon link very often

it's 6-4 i think

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You just said everything I said... while sounding angry at me o_O "He's like an Olimar that kills and racks damage a lot worse" = He is an Olimar with less damage racking and killing capabilities. Lern2English. If I wanted to say what you said, I would've written it as "He's like Olimar, who kills and racks damage a lot worse, etc etc."

But yeah... I gimp TLs... but I gimp everything. It's a lot harder compared to gimping Olis.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Tires are orgasmic... though they're not that useful when people start just attacking them, though T__T

List some situations you like to rely on them for?

P.S. Olimar is much more susceptible to high pressure games than TL is, though both need to be pressured fairly continuously.

Popertop

Smash Champion
You just said everything I said... while sounding angry at me o_O "He's like an Olimar that kills and racks damage a lot worse" = He is an Olimar with less damage racking and killing capabilities. Lern2English. If I wanted to say what you said, I would've written it as "He's like Olimar, who kills and racks damage a lot worse, etc etc."

But yeah... I gimp TLs... but I gimp everything. It's a lot harder compared to gimping Olis.
you made it sound like he's worse to play against

if I wanted to say what I said "He's like Olimar, but worse at killing and racking damage"

lern2sentenceorder

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I didn't make it sound like Toon Link was worse, my sentence was correct, you just seem to have reading issues, reading commas where they aren't apparently... because I can't even think of any other method that my phrase could be misread to mean what you accused me of saying...

Popertop said:
are you serious TL does not rack damage faster than Olimar
This implies that either what I said was wrong or that you disagreed with me, neither which are true. Don't argue with me on grammar... I proofread people's papers for money, lol.

Only thing "wrong" with what I wrote is that I chose to omit further qualifying adjectives after "worse" because I figured it would be easy enough to understand as is.

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking to go into a tourney and go all Wario.
My Wario is still undefeated on wi-fi and does good offline (not to sound cocky).
But all in all this is my first time going all Wario in a tourney yet alone my second tourney.
Any tips on what mind set I should go into with? Any little help counts.

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
First of all... don't think you know anything about Wario of how to face his matchups from your WiFi experiences, lol.
I don't. I just feel more comfortable with the match-up.

If it's only your second tournament, just focus on fixing the mistakes you made at your first tournament so that you can do better this time.
My first tourney I went all Kirby and got first and my mistake was not knowing the Diddy match-up. "/

playing wario on wifi is the most depressing thing ever
How? o_O

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
WiFi sucks for Wario b/c the best way to play him is bait and punish, and you can't do either of them well online.

But yeah... if you play WiFi Wario, here are the three most important tips:

Roll/Spotdodge less, Fsmash less, and Bike less, b/c they're all punishable offline.

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
WiFi sucks for Wario b/c the best way to play him is bait and punish, and you can't do either of them well online.

But yeah... if you play WiFi Wario, here are the three most important tips:

Roll/Spotdodge less, Fsmash less, and Bike less, b/c they're all punishable offline.
I actually play aggresive for a Wario and do well since people think Imma camp and get aggresive and I wait for it punish and continue. LoL Off line I play a bit different and more cautious.

pAce

Smash Cadet
What's the best ways to approach someone who can camp you with projectiles?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You guys should listen to Praxis more, that matchup is terrible LOL. I am not kidding, I do not care what any other Wario aside from Reflex, Futile, Fiction, etc says. I've talked to everyone, played multiple players, and that matchup is one big huge frame trap from hell Wario cannot beat WITHOUT being immensely better already than the Peach. Start learning a different character for Peach players. Get good at Marth or G&W or MK or something. Seriously.

MK vs Wario also is not 55:45. Luigi vs Wario is BARELY 55:45 us. TL vs Wario I think honestly swings either direction from even around 5 points. Olimar actually loses to Wario a tad, hardest overall 60:40.

When I get back from Genesis, I will answer more questions. And yes Peach REALLY is bad for Wario, no lie about it (has nothing to do with Praxis 3 stock, which WAS legit lol) :)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I've played a hell of a lot more Peaches with Wario than you have, DMG (including KOS-MOS and Praxis and Slikvik [I also play regularly with two solid Peach mains downtown])... learn to space better... you've admitted countless times that you need to improve that. Do so and you'll see... the matches take forever while both try to find openings, but neither really does. If she comes in, she gets *****, if you go in, you get *****, so it's just like a giant stalemate the whole time.

I'd have to play someone like Chip or Jash to re-evaluate the TL matchup, but I currently have it pegged at 55:45 us... though slikvik played Jash and says it's our advantage as well.

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Lol at Popper's grammar rage. The only thing I know how to do with tires is bounce them on the ground and charge a F-smash behind them because I can't glide toss. For Wario advice in tournament, space well and control the momentum of the match, those are two big issues for the fat man. Although I agree with PX that the Peach match up is not as bad as everyone claims it to be, I do feel it is not in Wario's favor. It doesn't feel like it is an even match up for sure. But I have only played KOS-MOS and my experience can't be used as reference because KOS-MOS is a better player than I am. =/ It is a very close match up though, PX is correct about that. On the projectile camping question... I will get back to you when I have a solution.... And i fail vs TL. Can we beat his B-air with anything?

Popertop

Smash Champion
not really

what you can do against it is poke after he bairs with Fair or Nair.

I played Quivo and Jerm today at a fest and did well.

I started Nairing a bunch and that helps. you have to space really tight for it to work though

pAce

Smash Cadet
Is it generally a good idea to d-air from above? By that I mean not when recovering from above, but when jumping over them.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Is it generally a good idea to d-air from above? By that I mean not when recovering from above, but when jumping over them.
I wouldnt say its a bad idea but its generally not. Toon links utilt is hella good and hardly punishable unless you can shield grab. His uair beats out dair and has a lingering hitbox. You can punish uair is he misses. Approuch with nair is alot better than dair in my opinion.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I'm slowing being convinced that Peach beats wario closer to 60-40. Maybe a little less. Definetely not as bad as MK though. You can force peach to approach you and you have an advantage.

pAce

Smash Cadet
Not just Toon Link, though.

Against some characters their moves - be it range, speed or multiple hits - make it hard to get close enough. Take R.O.B. for example: he can fire projectiles at you, has quick tilts with good range and if you get anywhere around him he can d-smash you. So basically being horizontal with R.O.B. generally seems like an undesirable place to be.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If both the Peach and the Wario player are playing on point. The matchup, should, unfortunately, go to time. Neither has a safe approach, so of course neither should approach. You approach and you eat some fairs or dairs for like 30%... if you stay outside her fair range, you build up wafts, which do 30% at half charge. See where I'm getting with this? It's a big stalemate the whole time through.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Not just Toon Link, though.

Against some characters their moves - be it range, speed or multiple hits - make it hard to get close enough. Take R.O.B. for example: he can fire projectiles at you, has quick tilts with good range and if you get anywhere around him he can d-smash you. So basically being horizontal with R.O.B. generally seems like an undesirable place to be.
I recently played a bunch of games with a good rob player, and again, Nair did wonders for my horizontal spacing.

His fair will beat your attacks, so you have to bait him.

If he fairs, you can interrupt his next attack with a nair, as well as punshing OoS with Nair.

You will actually spend a lot of time being horizontal with Rob b/c you don't wanna get caught in that Dsmash, and nairing helps with that because it shrinks your vertical hurtbox and you are more likely to hit him out of it.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
That move is soo annoying. You cant even shield grab it. And it barely lags. I find myself biting alot because alot of robs with sidestep then dsmash or shield grab.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Really? I usually am a milisecond late trying to do that and the invilciblity frames in my fsmash are just barely out of reach. :(

Popertop

Smash Champion
I usually just grab to punish it because it's safer.

and yeah nair is amazing. it helps sooo much.

yeah I bite a fair amount against robs, but I will nair alot too they can't really punish it.
their nair gets beat out by the lingering hitbox, and if they stay in their shield they will likely get shieldpoked, so eventually they won't try to punish it.

bite is good if you know they will spot dodge or keep shielding.

I don't fmash alot against ROB, most kills I get are clap and waft( when he is vulnerable after Up-B )
But if I think he is going to come at me with an aerial out of his Up-B and I don't have a waft charged, I will Fsmash him.

I used to try Fsmash at the ledge, but it doesn't work against characters with a fast Fair.

pAce

Smash Cadet
I recently played a bunch of games with a good rob player, and again, Nair did wonders for my horizontal spacing.

His fair will beat your attacks, so you have to bait him.

If he fairs, you can interrupt his next attack with a nair, as well as punshing OoS with Nair.

You will actually spend a lot of time being horizontal with Rob b/c you don't wanna get caught in that Dsmash, and nairing helps with that because it shrinks your vertical hurtbox and you are more likely to hit him out of it.
Yeah, I think I need to learn to bait and punish better. Playing Wario is bit different to the other characters I use.

Any tips on baiting and punishing anyone can give me?

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think I need to learn to bait and punish better. Playing Wario is bit different to the other characters I use.

Any tips on baiting and punishing anyone can give me?
really it comes with experience and learning peoples habits.

like when they will roll and shield etc.

some people get frustrated and go aggresive vs a Wario, but I'm already aggro so I hardly see that :laugh:

you want to move just inside their range and then move away so they whiff, and most times you can punish them. that is a basic bait and punish technique, there are lots more you learn as you get better/play better players.

If both the Peach and the Wario player are playing on point. The matchup, should, unfortunately, go to time. Neither has a safe approach, so of course neither should approach. You approach and you eat some fairs or dairs for like 30%... if you stay outside her fair range, you build up wafts, which do 30% at half charge. See where I'm getting with this? It's a big stalemate the whole time through.
If both characters are forced to time, then I dunno.

Even I guess?

It seems most people would be better off having a secondary prepared.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If we factor out human error the matchup is even, but I think Peach has a slightly larger margin for error in the matchup than Wario does, which is why I give her the 55:45.

You'd certainly have a lot more fun using someone else for her... and finish the matches sooner, but it's not necessary.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
She wins 60:40. Fiction, Reflex, Futile, and I think so. Honestly the character is a large frame trap. When played right, she is almost as hard to beat as Marth. MK is also not 55:45, he is fairly hard to beat at the top level when played right (although he's like that for every character lol).

Don't worry about it though guys, Wario's still good. He just has some freakin weird matchups he loses like Peach.

Top Bottom