• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The thing that made me fail at first was pressing the grab button. Don't press it. Just touch it as fast as possible and let go like it's incredibly burning hot or something. If you are pressing z when the buffering window ends, it will fail. This cg isn't hard, why aren't Warios using it? >_>

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can also use Shield + A for the grab input. Don't ask why I was trying that, but it works. NOW GO OUT THERE AND BE SOMEBODY!

xzx

Smash Lord
I want a video of this. Could someone help Reflex? Because when I see how it's done, I can easily see it for myself. Reading about it doesn't give me much, but seeing a video could.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah it will, but that's only if you have the controller inputs/hand moving at the same time you see the characters on screen.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, in that case yeah, it's the best. I just think Fictions post clearly explains everything you are ever going to need. Hold the stick until Wario closes his fists, let go of the stick and press grab very quickly. I dunno why people make it sound so hard.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't look for a visual cue these days--You just get the timing window if you do it enough. Ten frames isn't particularly strict. The important thing is making sure you do the input as explained. Press AND RELEASE the Grab button before the buffer window ends.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Dthrow > hold the analog in the direction of the opponent > somewhere in the last 10 frames release the analog > tap z

It's worked like a charm for me.

xzx

Smash Lord
Dthrow > hold the analog in the direction of the opponent > somewhere in the last 10 frames release the analog > tap z

It's worked like a charm for me.
I will try this.

And a video will help. If the whole process is shown in slow motion as the instructions follow along it will help people to understand it better. Or so it is for me...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
8? I think

Based on frame data thread yeah hits frame 8

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
more like

Dthrow -> :stick4: HOLD LEFT IMMEDIATELY -> during last 10 frames (when you see Wario's hands clench) RELEASE the control stick and THEN quickly tap grab
This is how I do it. Tapping and releasing the stick just makes the controller commands needed go from 3 to 4; there's no reason not to hold it way in advance and release it when it's time.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can do that, I just advocate flicking it because if you aren't used to it you would probably be prone to holding the stick/z too long.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think it might behoove people to think about RAR'ing to a Z-Dropped tire. I didn't realize that Wario dropped it so far behind him. With your back to the ledge, it goes offstage, sort of like the glide toss backward. It makes for a decent wall/defense against some grounded options with minimal effort, and from a RAR, you can be offensive and still catch it immediately with an aerial, something that requires retreating without the RAR.

LOE1

Smash Lord
on delphino, what are wario's options when your opponent is in the water?

WayV

Smash Rookie
Can someone tell me Wario's DI combination from being hit vertical and horizontal.

tedeth

Smash Master
Flicking is best for cg I know 'coz I master of cg.

Fart in their face when they in water I know 'coz I master of water and wafting and water wafting.

... depending on % and positioning and ****...

Good old Wario bads boards.

:D

WayV

Smash Rookie
Can someone tell me how to have stage control with Wario? I SH aerial a lot and it's very difficult for me to approach my opponent.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Stage control and being able to approach your opponent are not the same thing. Each tends to contribute to the other.

For Wario, it's a lot about being unpredictable and mostly coming in just enough to pressure the opponent into moving backward. Poke with rising F-Air, threaten with your nice grab range, etc. When he's close to the edge, it's often much easier to do something substantial. (This is assuming you're fighting an above-average character.)

WayV

Smash Rookie
Thanks for responding. My last two questions are what buttons do you input to auto cancel Wario's b-air? Is
Auto canceling inputting an aerial before it actually comes up in the game?

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thanks for responding. My last two questions are what buttons do you input to auto cancel Wario's b-air? Is
Auto canceling inputting an aerial before it actually comes up in the game?

:phone:
Autocanceling doesn't require any special input.

Aerials normally have a certain amount of landing lag when you hit the ground before they're finished. Some aerials allow you to land a little earlier than the end of the animation and still not have landing lag. For instance, Wario's D-Air autocancels anytime after all the hits have come out. Also, many aerials autocancel within the first couple startup frames, but that has no real strategic advantage.

For Wario's B-Air, it autocancels anytime after he starts to pull himself back up from his sideways position.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Is it best to have tap jump on or off? I've had it set to on for a while now and i feel like i jump TOO much and become easily predictable.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is it best to have tap jump on or off? I've had it set to on for a while now and i feel like i jump TOO much and become easily predictable.
I'm not sure if turning it off is going to make you jump any less. I would recommend just getting used to jumping less or being safer about how you jump around. Takes some getting used to.

Either way, Tap Jump is a personal preference. If you feel like you jump too much, it's not because of Tap Jump.

WayV

Smash Rookie
Thanks ReflexWonder for the help on auto canceling I understand it now. I play in a lot of 2v2's and I am taking too much damage and most of my opponents spot dodge when I get close and grab me any advice?

xzx

Smash Lord
I would say that if they spot dodge a lot use bite or punish it with waft. But I would recommend bite since there's no escaping it... almost.

Top Bottom