• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah that's known. It's not that great of an option because Dash Attack tends to knock them away, and Usmash is a very punishable move due to SDI. The 1 cool thing is doing it on shield, but people can shield grab you before the first hit comes out or shield the entirety and punish.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I find it pretty useful on low% but it has to be on non-floaty characters. It's a decent mixup imo.
I don't know how legit this is but I've done it lots of times on people who shield. It seems to "frame-trap" them if they try to shieldgrab the dash-attack and this makes u-smash hit almost every time.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's not. If you do it on shield, they guaranteed have enough time to shield grab before first hit of Usmash comes out. With that said, if you DO hit someone's shield with dash attack you may as well try to cancel it into Usmash because of how punishable Dash Attack already is. Couldn't really get worse at that point lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dunno, can't remember. It's prob not a long list

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Yeah probably. I know Marth, Peach, CF, and apparently Sheik can but that's it. Are there any others? Including the ones who normally can't air release us. :happysheep:

xzx

Smash Lord
The platform on YI is located too high for us to land. But the sides of that platform will sometimes save us, if the angle is correct.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Does anybody do that dthrow to buffer turnaround and dtilt on Snake and the other characters it works on? (I don't see it happening much in videos) Just want to know if its worth my time.

Also, I've got a bad habit lately where I jump Oos a lot which gets me hit. Like, Marth using side b and I'm in a perfectly good shield then while he is on the last hits of it I just jump out and get hit by it instead of doing something better. Not asking for a fix on it more interested if anybody else ever had the same problem.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
We don't, but, we should, IMO. The free extra damage is nice and it can put Snake in a situation similar to our throws, so we don't really lose much as a result.

xzx

Smash Lord
Tires can also lock.

And about downthrow to buffered d-tilt: I think Warios should learn this and use this more. I must practice on it and is it similar to the buffered chaingrab, but just a d-tilt instead of a grab?

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
I figured it was the same as the chain grab but with grab swapped for dtilt, but I don't know for sure. I wish my friends would sit down and just let me practice things like the chain grab on them so I don't have to use a cpu. =p

xzx

Smash Lord
Nothing wrong about practicing with a Lvl. 9 CPU. The only problem is that they can be hard to grab sometimes! xD

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
My buddy and I are going to apex. Got any advice for us to train? We won't be making any tournies before then unfortunately, but we play friendlies with each other every week. Should we mostly work with our mains or should we use our secondaries to train? I'm expecting a whole lot more MKs, Snakes, and Falcos than Marths (He mains Marth). We pretty much can play fairly well with the entire top tier (not exactly practical for reliable tourney use, but we could develop most of them into a competent secondary if we took the time).

I pretty much want to take advantage of the time we have to prepare. Looking for any general advice on training.

xzx

Smash Lord
Just go Wario. Better to go only your main (which you know more than your seconderies I guess) since you know him more. That's more reliable. Or so I hope...

D

Deleted member 189823

I recently started practicing tire tricks. It's something simple as Glide Tossing them and breaking the bike with them. The thing is, though, in Training Mode or practice with a lvl 3 CPU, I did most of those perfectly. But when I trained with my friends, non of that worked for me. I can't even get to break the bike in time before they arrive from the other side of the stage.

What is a good method for breaking the bike in time?
I also find it hard to do the long Glide Toss consistently, and I'm pretty sure it's mostly the fact that I use Classic Pro, because even though I don't use GC, it came easier doing it with the GC.

xzx

Smash Lord
You must decide to break the bike when you safely know that you can do it. Don't do it blindly. I often break the bike when the opponent has lost a stock (especially when the opponent is star KOed) or when the opponent is camping and I know I can break it safely. However, if I can't break it safely, I often want it to go off the stage. Thus I will find a better opportunity to break it later.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
PieDisliker, I would say that it's better to push your main as far as it can go than to concern yourself with secondaries, as you'll probably be going Wario when the chips are down, and it's best to have as much ability as possible.

Even if you're only getting slightly better with Wario in the time that you would get considerably better with, say, Falco, that little bit is more likely to give you wins, IMO.

There are different schools of thought on that, though. People say Brawl is a really counterpick-y game. Just use your best judgment.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'm probably gonna go all Wario in tourney, but I mostly meant using our secondaries to train for matchups. Should we use our time to focus on our mains (the Wario vs Marth matchup) or my Wario vs his secondaries along with his Marth vs my secondaries?

We actually ended up using the second strategy yesterday and I found out I'm really bad vs Sheik.

D

Deleted member 189823

Thank you.

Now, how important is Wario's tire game, exactly? I've seen some videos of what Wario can do with those things, and it's amazing.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
I think the usefulness of tires is match up dependent. Overall though it's a very good idea to get good with tires. How good are you at doing Wario's long GT Swei? :happysheep:

D

Deleted member 189823

...Not very well. I have trouble doing it consistently. Curiously, though, it seems to work everytime I do it next to an opponent, making Long GT Tire to F-Smash my only combo. 8P

xzx

Smash Lord
IMO the tires are extra important in MUs where your opponent can grab-release you. Overall I'll say they are really good to use in every MU.

EDIT: On what frame does Wario's jump come out on? I recently heard during a stream that all characters's jump come out on frame 9 while Snake's comes out on frame 10. Is this true? Because where have I got that Wario and Bowser have the slowest jumps (frame 7/9)?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Whoever said that is completely stupid.

Wario's jumpsquat iirc is 7 frames. MK has like a 4 frame iirc. It depends on the character but yes they tend to vary and hell no everyone isn't frame 9

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Most characters take 5 frames. Wario takes 7. Bowser takes 8. Snake takes 10. There are other exceptions (Link, for example), but I don't know the numbers off the top of my head.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You sure Snake is 10? That's ridiculously bad lol

Looked at 1 frame thread, says leaves ground at 11 rofl. So bad

xzx

Smash Lord
Okay, thanks DMG and Reflex! But frame 7 isn't that bad I guess? It maybe is a little slow, but...?

Top Bottom