• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It means that most of our out-of-shield are slower than they could be, and I think it's a big reason why spacing aerials against characters that can wall us out is so difficult. A couple frames can make or break many situations where the jump startup matters.

D

Deleted member 189823

No wonder N-Air OoS costed me at first...

Anyway, do you guys have any tire combos/follow-ups?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Throw a tire down at opponents shield -> uair their shield as you land -> do nothing because you can't
aka the thing all the Warios do.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
You could nair at the very top of their shield so they get caught by nair2. You could also z-drop the tire above them, i-tire into a buffered fsmash, or if they shield it, just grab. Shield pressure with tires scares a lot of people.

If the tire hits, follow up with what is appropriate to the situation. Up air strings at low or kill%, fsmash, nair, etc.

:phone:

xzx

Smash Lord
Abandago does this: throw a tire to another tire. Or he just throws a tire, waits to see if it hit, and then farts. That's imba! O_o

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The smartest decision that actually ends up being a follow-up would be to pick any of the reasonably-fast options. D-Tilt and grab are most common. If you're pretty sure of yourself hitting, F-Smash and Waft work if you end up next to them. It has a good deal of follow-ups if you space the glide toss well.

xzx

Smash Lord
Do aynone use nair/waft to punish MK's tornado? Like before/after the first hit there is time to (S)DI and hit MK with a fast move. I have seen Glutonny waft a tornado like that and I'm afraid to do it since I don't want to risk losing a waft. I think that if MK is rising with his tornado then it won't work. Please help?

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Wafting the top of nado just takes practice. Practice with with an MK and I'm sure you'll get it down fine. Also I use Nair to punish nado sometimes when dair can't come out at a proper angle. :happysheep:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think it depends on the direction that Meta Knight happens to be moving in the first place; as in, you're better of trying to Waft it without getting it, but it's a longshot either way.

xzx

Smash Lord
I think it depends on the direction that Meta Knight happens to be moving in the first place; as in, you're better of trying to Waft it without getting it, but it's a longshot either way.
Yeah, I think so too. But it's a huge reward if one is able to pull out a waft in MK's face. But it's not so rewarding when one loses the waft. It's kinda like a slot machine, which Wario likes anyway.

@Iota: Yeah, but it's so hard. =( Cannot one give tips or make a tutorial or something? This is really important, y'know...

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
i usually punish tornado with dair but i agree punishing tornado with a waft is way hella better im going to practice that and ill try to make a tutorial but if someone can do it first that will be awesome :)

xzx

Smash Lord
Yeah, I also punish the tornado with dair (and a waft works too), but what I meant was that when you get hit by the first hit - what to do and how to do?

Btw, if an item and a character are near each others (for example Snake and a grenade), and we bite near them - do we always eat the item no matter what (since the item bite hitbox is bigger)? This may not apply to bigger items like the bike (or do it?).

D

Deleted member 189823

Throw a tire down at opponents shield -> uair their shield as you land -> do nothing because you can't
aka the thing all the Warios do.
That's what I used to do before I was even able to edge-crash the motorcycle. -_-

You could nair at the very top of their shield so they get caught by nair2. You could also z-drop the tire above them, i-tire into a buffered fsmash, or if they shield it, just grab. Shield pressure with tires scares a lot of people.

If the tire hits, follow up with what is appropriate to the situation. Up air strings at low or kill%, fsmash, nair, etc.

:phone:
Could you explain the tire to F-Smash a bit more? Do I Z-Drop the tire or just D-Throw it out of a jump?

In a another note. I'm terrible at landing the WAFT. I land like 1/3rd of them and miss really good opportunities, either because my opponent sheields it all the time or just because I'm terrible at aiming it at times.

Tips?

xzx

Smash Lord
You have to waft when you can punish. Waft when their guards are down! Waft when they least expect it! Don't be predictable with it. Pressure your opponents with it off stage!

Tbh you just have to practice and read/know your opponents. I also sucked at landing wafts back then but then I just learned how to land them (I land them more often now than before). You have to know your opponent. Really, just find your own way. It's hard to tell, but if you CAN land a waft, DO IT!! =D

Lord Chair

Smash Master
90% of the time wafting isn't a matter of making a read but rather reacting to a reaction you may or may not have conditioned. I don't understand why people keep saying your farts have to be unpredictable, most farts are predictable as ****.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
You can use any button set up you want. It's a good idea to have a 2nd grab button outside of Z for his d-throw CG though. :happysheep:

xzx

Smash Lord
Have the X-button changed to grab, since it's for Wario's CGs.

@Croi: My wafts aren't that predictable, outside of punishing something. But some opponents aren't prepared for it though. At least I am not! xD But I can see if a Wario wants to land an obvious waft or not... Really, it depends on so much.

Croi

Smash Lord
@Croi: My wafts aren't that predictable, outside of punishing something. But some opponents aren't prepared for it though. At least I am not! xD But I can see if a Wario wants to land an obvious waft or not... Really, it depends on so much.
I'll keep that in mind?

D

Deleted member 189823

You have to waft when you can punish. Waft when their guards are down! Waft when they least expect it! Don't be predictable with it. Pressure your opponents with it off stage!

Tbh you just have to practice and read/know your opponents. I also sucked at landing wafts back then but then I just learned how to land them (I land them more often now than before). You have to know your opponent. Really, just find your own way. It's hard to tell, but if you CAN land a waft, DO IT!! =D
This is pretty useful information. I'll keep it in mind and apply it to my game. I'll try to get them offstage.
Thank you.

You can use any button set up you want. It's a good idea to have a 2nd grab button outside of Z for his d-throw CG though. :happysheep:
Why should I have a second Grab for the CG?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why should I have a second Grab for the CG?
Because of the positioning of the Z button on a GameCube controller, when pressing Z in the "traditional" way, it takes more time to press and release it than a face button, like Y or X.

Another alternative is to press downward on the right edge of the Z button, so you slide off the button after pressing it, instead of having to press down and lift up with your index finger. Releasing the Grab button is necessary for the buffered turn-around D-Throw.

xzx

Smash Lord
You called me by name to tell me how cool your wafts are when I had nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
Umm... okay? What I said was that wafts aren't obvious. At least mine wafts aren't (of course there are some cases which they ARE predictable). If wafts are predictable then the ones who get hit by them are stupid (outside of raw punishing).

D

Deleted member 189823

What would you recommend a new Wario player, beside the very basic, that is watching videos?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Learn the chaingrab.

Make a point of finding a reasonable use for almost all of your moves, as Wario is a very dynamic character that benefits from most moves in specific situations.

xzx

Smash Lord
Yeah, I sometimes find D-smash more useful than F-smash in certain situations.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's mostly about not forgetting they exist. "Popular" moves exist because they're most generally useful, but things like Dash Attack and U-Tilt, for instance, are sometimes better options than the rest. It's nice to be able to find those situations, even if they might be few and far between.

xzx

Smash Lord
I completely agree. I also sometimes attack with d-tilt, up-tilt and dash attack in certain situations. Maybe not in every match, but it still happens sometimes, in the most right situations.

So when people say for example that Wario's d-smash "sucks and bla bla bla" they have wrong. For me every move has it's very right usage scenario.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I guess a more direct means of that would be to learn how to effectively use his ground game.

Also, learn to be really patient.

xzx

Smash Lord
One must be patient with Wario. Or at least for me patient is really important and I use it in my matches! :>

Tesh

Smash Hero
Who can I hit with dthrow to dtilt and how do i properly buffer this? Can I hit people with dthrow to jab or dash attack?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dthrow to Dtilt works because Dtilt is fast. Faster than Grab actually. The range is also very solid.

How to buffer it IIRC, K prime made a video a long time ago try to youtube search it.

Top Bottom