• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Labernash

Smash Lord
You can Auto Cancel Dair out of a full hop, save that DJ.

Also Ftilt usually poops one or both tires up and around you. I meant to say poop.

:phone:

xzx

Smash Lord
I made a video of that a long time ago but I have noticed that up-tilt (in most cases) sends at least one tire almost straight up/near Wario. Sometimes both tires get close to Wario.

Or you could try what I sometimes do: right after the bike has broke, you instant catch a tire with the grab button.

Tires are an important tool for Wario.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to try playing with Wario more, and I was wondering if his tires are similar to Zero Suit Samus's item pieces? What can tires combo into?

xzx

Smash Lord
The tires give set knockback while the armor pieces give "regular" knockback. The tires bounces more and better than the armor pieces do. That's some of the differences.

Tires can combo into anything Wario has (depending on the situation). The most notable tire combos Wario has is down throw > bounced tire > waft. Seriously, Wario has a lot of options when he can attack with the tires so one have to be creative when comboing with them! ;)

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Thank you! One thing I noticed is that I'm having problems with N-airing OoS. Would it be easier with or without tap jump? Also after what height jump does fair and bair auto-cancel (or just cancel the lag the most)?

xzx

Smash Lord
I have Tap Jump on, but I dunno what is better. It's personal preferences, I guess. Fair doesn't auto cancel if Wario is falling back close to the ground. Even so, the lag isn't that harsh. Bair, on the other hand, can be a thorn in the ass when it comes to auto cancelling - I have noticed that Wario's bair auto cancels only if Wario is rising/not falling down to the ground/platform. You can do bairs in a short hop without Wario crashing down and therefore will avoid horrible ending lag (but not like Ganondorf's ending lags... ugh). If you fast fall with the bair on Wario's first or second jump, it will not auto cancel. Wario's aerial acceleration really helps him out to avoid crashing down.

I hope I answered your questions and that you understand them.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Again thank you for replying! How does one punish Falco's side-B? Can you bite them out during the animation of their side-B? What ways would you suggest for punishing Falco's side-B? Also, any tips on landing waft?

xzx

Smash Lord
No problem! You can watch how Reflex punishes Falco's Phantasm (he's really sick at doing that! =P). I don't think you can bite the phantasm (you can bite the cool down I think). One thing I have noticed is how you always will trade with the phantasm if you attack it. When you attack it, it will be a trade where both you and Falco will be hit (well, most of the times). But another thing happens - the phantasm and the move Wario used will cancel, meaning that you can punish it with a whole arsenal of moves, like with waft or f-smash. But sometimes you can attack his phantasm without taking damage/without a trade. Credits goes to Reflex since I saw him punishing Falco's phantasm a lot in his latest videos. =P

Again, I hope I provided you with good info. Other Wario's are welcome to correct me or comment this, if needed.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Stick out a long-lasting attack where it will run into Falco during the second half of his Forward-B. U-Tilt, U-Smash, and Dash Attack all work well. When you do this, your move will be canceled and Falco will be hit softly, causing him to fall to the ground with landing lag, so you can then follow up with whatever you want.

D

Deleted member 189823

When watching videos of other Wario players, I notice they tend to take their time when killing. Why don't they take advantage of Wario's awesome KO power? I mean, it's not like his moves are like Ganondorf's, which are extremely powerful but won't hit...a 5-frame Down-B that kills are ridiculously low percents and a rather quick F-Smash is nothing to laugh at. Even U-Air can be used for killing rather well. I've gotten reasonable percent kills with it.

What is the exact/proper use of N-Air? I realize I hardly use it anymore. I figured I just don't know very much about it, other than the fact it's an OoS option and a possible combo starter at lower percents.

Another thing- Wheel to fart. Should we use this more?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
He doesn't have enough range/speed/what have you on his approach tools to consistently land that stuff. Wario has to make the opponent make mistakes and the like, but the opponent can often prevent that by sticking to neutral position and attacking intelligently.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
What should I try and go for after ground breaking from a grab. The character specifically is Rob, the player is trying to get me to mash jump on accident and air break. Instead I ground break and I always seem to get hit by whatever comes next. Like I break then shield and get grabbed, or I break and try to hit him and he hits first. Not getting grabbed is a good plan, but it still happens and it would be awesome if I could turn it around on him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wario's standard ground options are incredibly slow, so it's hard to say. Keep in mind that the basic "game" to play is rock-paper-scissors of Shield beats Jab/Spotdodge beats Grab beats Shield. In Wario's case, replace Jab with D-Tilt or Dash Attack, as his Jab is really, really slow.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
I know I tried jab but not dtilt, I'll trade those out next time if I go for the attack. Quick reply, thanks. :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Keep in mind that to properly buffer a D-Tilt, you can't go full-tilt on the Analog Stick. You have to hold it halfway or so; otherwise, you'll buffer the crouch instead, which will make the D-Tilt take longer to come out and will get powershielded.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Bite is a pretty good option when you are that close, since it will beat shield, spotdodge and attacks thats arent really fast or spaced (the latter being very unliked out of a ground release)

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
I got on and played around to see how the buffering works on the dtilt it was no big deal (as in it wasn't a difficult task not a dumb idea o.O). As for bite, moving forward a step and using it is faster than jumping, right?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you're holding toward the opponent when you're ground-released, you should be close enough to be able to grab the opponent without having to jump or walk forward, I believe.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Right now it doesn't look like I get any closer from doing that. I've got classes to go to now though so I'll come back later.

SKID!

Smash Rookie
I am new to wario and im having a lot of trouble landing my farts lol. I seem to always whiff my waft. Does anyone have any tips or strategies on when or how to use them?

xzx

Smash Lord
Landing a waft is a hit-or-miss (or rather, hit-or-loss) and can be very difficult to land depending on the character you are facing. One strategy is to save the waft until you can punish your opponent hard, like when they suffer from much start up/ending lag. Another one is to pressure your opponent off stage and try to waft them there - when they are air dodging or recovering for example. The easiest way to land a waft (IMO) is by raw punishing.

... And most importantly: Be unpredictable. Always look for opportunities. If you can land a waft, then go for it! Yes, even if their damage count is 200%, do it! Always try to land a waft, don't forget the move entirely. Against some characters killing with waft is rather crucial and a must. Have an eye on the timer.

It takes time to find out how to use the waft effeciently. Practice is a good thing. It requires a lot of focus and estimation to land a waft. You have to catch them off guard (otherwise you are being predictable). Hope I helped!

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Got a question about getting grab released onto platforms. (Particularly the edge) So DK releases me then jumps and does a Nair because he knows that the shield is coming. Then I plummet to the ground off the edge of the platform and get stuck in a jab lock to a free whatever from DK. I know that when falling off the edge there like on Battlefield that Wario can't help but hit the floor but are there ways to avoid it or control which way I'm pushed in my shield? My plan was to just get hit by the DK Nair since it's 100 times better than getting jab locked and killed, but idk the frame data so don't know if I have other options when this happens.

Also DK is pretty freaking good at grabbing Wario it seems.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You can SDI during shieldlag in the same way that you can SDI during hitlag, so before you slide backward, you can SDI forward to give yourself more space to slide. Also, spotdodging as soon as possible cancels any remaining shield pushback. The first point is most relevant, though.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Also, if you can manage to turn around and face the edge just before you shield, when you get knocked off of the platform, you won't "pratfall." That only happens when you get pushed off a platform while in shield when your back is facing the edge, not your front.

GalaxyWaffles

Smash Apprentice
Can Wario compete with Diddy Kong's speed? I've been watching videos of tournament Wario's vs Diddy Kong's and I can't tell if Wario is able to compete with Diddy Kong's speed. It looks like he's able to hold his own but I could be wrongz

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah. Look up all the videos of myself against Player-1, of which there are many. I think there may be a set of myself against Zinoto, as well.

People are starting to think it leans decidedly into a slight-but-noticeable advantage in Wario's favor. He has a lot of tools to make good use of.

SKID!

Smash Rookie
I have a question about punishing spot dodges. I read in the guide that you can use f-smash to punish spot dodges because the hitbox stays out long, but it never seems to work. is there a certain way to do it? or does it just not work?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The F-Smash doesn't stay out for very long at all. It's only for three frames.

Wario's not all that great at reliably punishing spotdodges, actually. D-Air, U-Tilt, U-Smash, and D-Smash are your best bets.

SKID!

Smash Rookie
ok thanks a lot!! and is f-smash a good oos option at lower %? or is it only used oos for killing or what? i feel like when i use it in early percents i'm spamming it

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Against good players, you can't really use it out-of-shield at all. Dropping your shield takes seven frames as well as the shield pushback on an attack, which makes it really slow to come out and can put you out of range in the first place. You're usually much better off trying to get frame advantage with a spotdodge or by landing with airdodge (though it's fairly easy to see coming). Alternatively, you can attempt to space with it or to super-armor through people's attacks with it.

That said, the bad range and relative risk doesn't make F-Smash a very useful option unless you absolutely know it's going to hit. Wario does a lot of damage on many of his individual attacks without the same risk involved.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The F-Smash doesn't stay out for very long at all. It's only for three frames.

Wario's not all that great at reliably punishing spotdodges, actually. D-Air, U-Tilt, U-Smash, and D-Smash are your best bets.
this seems like a strange thing to say when when wario is kind of annoyingly good at punishing spotdodges compared to most characters. sure he doesnt have an auto jab like snake or a tornado, but if you are actually in range to grab (only reason they should spotdodge) you have SH nair, dair, fair (lingers a bit) and bite which has a grab that just last absurdly long. Even Dsmash.

of course if you see a spotdodge coming good timing lets you punish with whatever you want, which is important when its time to kill

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sure, but, why would a good player just spotdodge in a way that would be easy to read? Shorthop N-Air will get you the sourspot which doesn't necessarily net you follow-ups, D-Air which only gets the last couple hits, F-Air which doesn't really net you much in most situations, and Bite, which deals 7% at most. Hitting people with weak moves isn't what I'd consider threatening.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ah, yeah--That's also a thing, though I'm not sure if it's a true combo, actually. If so, glide toss it downward for the best frame advantage.

D

Deleted member 189823

How do I add more flexibility to Chomp (B)? It's always nice to have a command grab around, but I don't like how it breaks my horizontal aerial momentum. Because of that, it seems hard to land and I ever rarely use it.

Top Bottom