• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Lof

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't the costume just be what you like? I sometimes lose my character on screen during doubles so I'll usually pick a bright color or a color no one else is using.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I like the Candy Cane Biker Wario! He has freakin white jeans baby! Hahah hell yeah.

Oh and for Wario tips, USE NAIR! Wario's Nair is soooo good! IMO it is one of his best moves because of it's flexibility, low lag and combo potential. The sexkick hitbox lasts foreverrrrrrr and leads into moves like Grab, Fsmash, Dtilt, Ftilt and tire Dthrow glide toss. New uses of Nair are being explored daily.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Not quoting so post isn't too big.

@Reflex, well, what you said WAS helpful. I'm sorry; I just think that it's hard to get to Wario's metagame. I don't mean it as "good players can make everyone better" I just mean, you're good, you know what your doing, so the basic stuff us scrubs need to know is backhand knowledge for you. Mostly everything I need to learn, needs videos of mine for critique. I don't know where to start for just asking a question, haha!

@Chair, our guides are crap. They say stuff like "good move. Use it." That doesn't help. We still don't know when to use it. But, your post was actually fairly helpful to me personally. You should post more.

@Lof, it's all good; welcome to Wario World! My tips would be - Don't let waft get fully charged as it kills earlier at about a minute and a half, shield-grab people, utilize all of Wario's air moves, - Foward-air, Down-air and Neutral-Air for damage, Back-air and Up-air for killing - and MOST IMPORTANTLY, Butt-Taunt often.

@BPOW, I lol'd hard at that. Classic Wario is the best. :(

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
When you get a tire, try throwing it up and not letting it touch the ground while you battle. Juggle the tire with alternating aerials and instant Uthrows. So fun!

xzx

Smash Lord
@Lof: My best tip is just to ONLY play Wario in any stage, any MU and against any opponent. You have to discover things by yourself (not saying that you shouldn't ask for tips or stuff like that) and see what you can do by yourself. Don't copy any Wario player's playstyle - every Wario has its own way of playing and copying someone's playstyle can actually make you worse.

Remember that Wario's aerial game is one of the best in the game, so you must play Wario mostly in the air. Wario's grab is nice since it is so fast and big. Oh, and try not to be grabbed! Seriously, don't. And don't try to be predictable, since Wario's best strength (according to me) is to being unpredictable.

But to be good with Wario you must train and train and train. Discover Wario's laughable options but also his heart breaking weaknesses. Wario is the most fun character in Brawl, so welcome to Wario - the man of the crazy options! =)

Lof

Smash Cadet
Thank you all for the tips and encouragement, I can kinda feel that warios a character for me alright xD Hes just fun and cool and really comboy whence you start going :D I just needed a bit of start encouragement

Lof

Smash Cadet
I just got my wii last night :D played some online but it was all matches with really spammy pokemon trainers and items on -_- and since im using the a game cube controller I honestly forget alot of the stuff I knew....its ben maybe two years since ive played brawl? >:D Can't wait to practice it up.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Haha my favorite thing to do is beat up a lvl 3 Snake on FD with 30 lives on :D practicing movement smoothness and speed is very important :)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
so after extensive testing, i've found that green overalls wario does the best against climbers
When playing the Ice Climbers, I choose Blue overalls as a costume for Wario. That way Nana can think I'm Popo and run towards me the entire game.

Lof

Smash Cadet
After playing all break ive discovered my wario is trash Dx trash enough to decide to take a break off of training with him x.x

xzx

Smash Lord
After playing all break ive discovered my wario is trash Dx trash enough to decide to take a break off of training with him x.x
Don't quit just for that. That's not the spirit! I sucked with Wario at the beginning too but I kept and kept practicing and training until I achieved my goals. But I only did that because I enjoyed Wario and Brawl. One must have fun while playing or else...

But just keep it up!

D

Deleted member 189823

Hey Wario boards...

How do I use Wario? :B
I know it's a silly question, but I don't normally use him. I would like to see for myself why is he considered so good. I like the fact he's a small, heavy and floaty character, because being a Yoshi main, that's kind of interesting. Being a Yoshi main also means that learning great airgame is fundamental.

What should I do often? What should I use for approaching?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Think of Wario as a nuclear powered bumble bee. I would advise you to watch a few Wario vids! Everyone has a different style of Wario, because this character is so unique and has tons of depth. For example, my Wario focuses mainly on tires while Reflex focuses on precision reads and good spacing. Check out the video thread and watch a few!

Just play around with Wario a bit, and see what you like about him. His Nair is really good, as it is quick and can lead into combos. Lots of Warios could use Nair a bit more IMO! :p

Here's a good one! Wario vs D3

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Use farts re-actively, not aggressively. That is the true mark of a Nuke Artist.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Shouldn't. It's like Dair. Dair counts as 1 move even if you hit with more than 1 part or they get out of Dair and you hit them again with the same one. Most multihit moves in the game do not count separately.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think he means "If I hit with Nair 2, will Nair 1 be stale when I use it?"

The answer is yes. If you land Nair 1 and then Nair 2 (the same nair), then it won't stale. Only move I know of that does that is Snake's Upsmash (pulling out the mortar stales the projectile).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I thought he meant in the other way, like would hitting with nair 2 unstale nair 1

Labernash

Smash Lord
I thought he meant does hitting with ONLY Nair2 stale Nair1?

Or is that what ya'll are saying?

Or... I'm leaving.

xzx

Smash Lord
I think that both hits counts as seperately hits. Like Snake's f-tilt. Please correct me If I'm wrong. Seriously.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
any last minute advice vs sonic and olimar guys? i have a tourney tomorrow and i dont know many tricks, thanks :)

Labernash

Smash Lord
Sonic, bite beats a lot. Just stay away from him. He gets in, it's rough. Not a lot on him.

Olimar, camp him hard. All I know.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea Bite beats alot vs Sonic, but don't hold it too long or he might just go around you (Which he can do pretty fast) or smack you in the face with his strongest move (Fsmash can beat it from the front).

Sonic you just have to keep in mind that you aren't really completely safe anywhere. He can launch himself up, down, left and right very quickly so its hard to get breathing room, so don't let your guard down just because he isn't close. You don't get far away from Sonic, he gets far away from you.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
With Sonic bite does indeed beat most of his moves but you can't throw it out at all for his approaches unless he's very predictable and runs right into it (which no good sonic will do). The MU's pace is decided by the Sonic from my experience. Nair oos beats spin dash, fair poke can lead to bite, f-smash, or grab depending on what the Sonic does (I.e. grabs beat his defensive options, f-smash armors through his offensive options.), and spaced bairs are useful vs his spacing moves. SDI that fair downwards like a madman, if you can get out in time It's a free clap, f-smash, or waft.

Tesh brings up good points about Sonic's pressure game on Wario. It can be a pain in the *** dealing with it if you aren't familiar with the MU. Don't worry about him racking up damage on you though. Just avoid getting hit by his bair, f-smash, d-smash, and uair near the ceiling and you'll easily be living till' 160+ while Sonic will be dying around 90-130

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
thanks guys those were some great tips, i ended up losing 2 really close games in winners and i went fox in losers and won. I had a lot of trouble setting up kill moves cause sonic was all over the place as you guys said,ill get more solid at the matchup next time

Tesh

Smash Hero
With Sonic bite does indeed beat most of his moves but you can't throw it out at all for his approaches unless he's very predictable and runs right into it (which no good sonic will do). The MU's pace is decided by the Sonic from my experience. Nair oos beats spin dash, fair poke can lead to bite, f-smash, or grab depending on what the Sonic does (I.e. grabs beat his defensive options, f-smash armors through his offensive options.), and spaced bairs are useful vs his spacing moves. SDI that fair downwards like a madman, if you can get out in time It's a free clap, f-smash, or waft.

Tesh brings up good points about Sonic's pressure game on Wario. It can be a pain in the *** dealing with it if you aren't familiar with the MU. Don't worry about him racking up damage on you though. Just avoid getting hit by his bair, f-smash, d-smash, and uair near the ceiling and you'll easily be living till' 160+ while Sonic will be dying around 90-130
Sonic doesn't really die much earlier than Wario unless you land a really good fart. His momentum cancel is alot better than Wario's and Wario only has 1 good vertical killer.

You are definitely right about, god that move just sucks, but no one really seems to notice.

I saw your set with Sheikspeedy, you were wise to stay Fox, you really beat him up.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I only get practice against real people with neighbors down my street. What are things that I should practice as a Wario by myself. The only things I do now is go to training every once in a while to work on movement and DACUS, and some lv 7 computers. I don't really go to tournaments, but I'm hoping to start soon.
Are there certain techniques that are beneficial for me to try and do in training?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I only get practice against real people with neighbors down my street. What are things that I should practice as a Wario by myself. The only things I do now is go to training every once in a while to work on movement and DACUS, and some lv 7 computers. I don't really go to tournaments, but I'm hoping to start soon.
Are there certain techniques that are beneficial for me to try and do in training?
Getting the right timings for basic cancels. Jab cancel -> grab/F-Smash/Waft. Autocanceled D-Air. Getting the right height to make sure your F-Air/B-Air is over before you hit the ground. Glide tosses. Instant throwing tires.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I need to work on jab cancels, autocanceling, and getting those bairs in at the right time. Thanks, I'm going to go and practice those right now.

Top Bottom