• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In that case, it's an easy mistake to make, but, please refrain from doing that in the future.

Serious question, though--What are people looking for in character guides, either in general or specifically related to Wario?

Labernash

Smash Lord
I'd say, what moves to use at certain percents and what moves to avoid I reckon. Also, what is the thought process to have while attacking? Like... What do I do to damage the opponent? How do I stay safe enough to do damage? Literally, how to play Wario. Playstyles aside, what is the Metagame?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It's hard to put all that in a guide without context. The game offers a huge amount of situations and even though oftentimes certain options could be considered optimal there are always variables like conditioning to take into account. Spending resources into a guide that won't ever be complete sounds like a waste of time to me especially because a lot of info quickly becomes dated as the game develops itself.

I remember making a thread with random MU tidbits and looking back at it a lot of tips are already dated. Ftilt when ledgeguarding MK? It's no longer spammable now that feigning safe glides have become abused and that warrants an entirely different approach at ledgeguarding. Keeping a monster guide updated is a tedious and unrealistic undertaking.

There are different projects that may prove more useful, but those are more dependent on interaction. Something along the lines of a Q&A thread, only more in-depth. A thread in which questions are asked that actually warrant an interesting answer. I feel like a lot of players take the easy route and ask questions like 'how do I deal with DDD' and 'how does I shot hand with ftilt'.

Just posting this in quick reply because I didn't bother finishing it when going out and now I get back and realize I should've posted it while I was still sober. The how does I shot hand part was a tipsy one and I'm rather proud of it so I guess the whole procrastination thing payed off in at least the humourous sense and I'll finish the rest of the post tomorrow k.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Guides are really fun to make, but the Lord of Chairs is right when he says that they quickly become outdated. However, since the game has been out for 4 years now don't y'all think the metagame is fairly developed? When I read a guide, something I look for is options. Listing options for certain situations can be really helpful as a guideline, you don't really need to be super specific but just give newer players and idea of what works when and how.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The trouble is that Wario's optimal playstyle is very dynamic, so it can be difficult to describe so much that goes on with him. You constantly have to make little decisions that add up.

Labernash

Smash Lord
I guess my trouble is that I'm not sure how or when to make the required decisions. :( I get frusturated because while I'll be doing really good, all the sudden I'll take a bunch of damage or worse. I think I just don't know my options. Any ideas?

Croi

Smash Lord
I guess my trouble is that I'm not sure how or when to make the required decisions. :( I get frusturated because while I'll be doing really good, all the sudden I'll take a bunch of damage or worse. I think I just don't know my options. Any ideas?
Like Chair said, that's not exactly something that can be taught since there are literally hundreds of thousands of situations you can find yourself in. That sort of thing comes down to understanding your character and understanding the MU. Sometimes your going to find yourself asking "do I have the frames/the confidence to pull out a nair, or should I retreat instead? Could I use SHFair, or should I grab? Jab, or dtilt?", and it's not really possible for anyone to tell you ahead of time which would be better for the situation you're in.

To better answer your question, you'll just need more experience. We can do our best to help you, but not everything can be taught.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
That is very true Reflex, Wario's intricacies are deep and will take many years for one to master. However, a basic understanding of Wario's game may be helpful to newer players. For example, a simple guide may point out the differences between shorthop aerial pokes versus fullhopped aerials, when you would want to use them and when it would be safe. Just a rough outline really, I agree that a deep guide would be daunting to read and ultimately obsolete as new techniques and strategies are discovered by Wario, as well as other characters.

Labernash, maybe you should try out a strategy game like League of Legends? Not only is it really fun, but it forces you to play very cautiously and safely, focusing hard on your spacing and positioning. After I learned and played LoL for a few weeks, I can honestly say it helped my Brawl game out a lot.

In LoL, if you are too aggressive you will get destroyed. If you get destroyed, your entire team will yell at your *** until you improve. Not only does LoL help with spacing, but it also can help you learn stage or map control better.

As for Brawl, if you are getting owned just try to create some space. Jumping away on your bike is a great Wario tool for widening the gap against your opponent, and you are in even better position if you have a tire in your hand! Turn a going away party into a HOMECOMING PARTY BABY!!

Croi do you agree that you have to "feel the Wario"? You and the fat man must become oneeeeee. Ouhmmmmmmmmmm.....

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'll try and get some general thought going. I've been perusing the PT video thread and critiquing their stuff, so, I'll try to comment on some videos in this subforum; at worst, I can tell you what I would've done differently and why.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I believe there is an entry in the AT/Tire guide that talks about Quarter Circle DI, check it out! :)

Labernash

Smash Lord
Thanks everybody for your awnsers. Believe it or not, all that actually kind of helped!

@Mr. Pwn, I've actually consered getting LoL, but my internet is poop, so... Yeah. :/

xzx

Smash Lord
EVERYONE LISTEN UP!!!!

Today, when I did a Chopper Hop, I (ONE TIME) accidentaly did what I call a "Double Jump Chopper Hop". And boy, Wario flied VERY HIGH upwards!! That was incredible! I don't really know how I did it (I tested it on the Training Mode but I failed doing it). Can someone please investigate more in this? That would be really useful!

I love Wario! I love when I discover new things with him! <3 Please help.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You're going to have to give me more information than that. I don't know what I should be doing.

Labernash

Smash Lord
I think Double jumping off the ground for the Chopper Hop input. Maybe also if the Bike is on a platform, if we jumped from underneath, could we to a chopper hop without landing?

xzx

Smash Lord
No, I was on the Online practice stage and accidentaly did that absurd thing. Yeah, obviously a double jump input is needed for this.

I was practicing to do Chopper Hops. Then I accidentaly did a double jump chopper hop. I flew very high up (Wario got almost at the "top" of the stage. He rather "flied"). Gmmm, I can't give much information. Obviously a double jump is required alongside with the chopper hop. I think one must JUMP first, and then double jump + chopper hop, very very very quickly. I remember that my fingers slipped very fast over the buttons. I wish I could record that thing.

I will try more about this DJCH. But I hope you guys want to help me out. Sorry for not giving much information, but I did as much as I could. But I'm pretty glad that I did thas - that was something really cool and astonishing! =O But think of how many opportunities this will give Wario! =)

xzx

Smash Lord
No, because my second/double jump was consumed. Wario flew really high! I wished I would have got that on tape... =(

CRODD

Smash Apprentice
When you are hit vertically what is the move to momentum cancel with? I have seen most Warios using Dair but after seeing Glutonny's matches he tends to use Fair instead.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Apparently, that's not the case; your body is just a square as far as blast zones are concerned. Flattening your body or something similar doesn't actually help you survive.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
When you are hit vertically what is the move to momentum cancel with? I have seen most Warios using Dair but after seeing Glutonny's matches he tends to use Fair instead.
It doesn't matter which you use they're tied for Wario's fastest aerial, dair is easier to fast fall with though I guess.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
EVERYONE LISTEN UP!!!!

Today, when I did a Chopper Hop, I (ONE TIME) accidentaly did what I call a "Double Jump Chopper Hop". And boy, Wario flied VERY HIGH upwards!! That was incredible! I don't really know how I did it (I tested it on the Training Mode but I failed doing it). Can someone please investigate more in this? That would be really useful!

I love Wario! I love when I discover new things with him! <3 Please help.
Whoaaaaa! :O i totally have to explore this! Good find xzx, now we just have to recreate the move and learn how to do it! I'll try and practice a bit with it today, this would be suuuch a cool technique to pull out in the middle of a match :D

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
If you have to use the double jump to do it does that mean you could leave the bike on a platform like Smashville and just jump through the platform and do it? Because thats what i tried.

I also set my c-stick to special and found out that if I held the bike and hit the c-stick left/right it moves Wario's feet which is completely useless but funny looking. :)

xzx

Smash Lord
Yesterday I tried DJCH once again and I did it on the first try. Then I couldn't do it more... I am going to record next time I'm "trying" the DJCH. I think I know how to do it... look out for my video on the Wario Technique's thread later.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
I'm looking forward to it xzx! This really seems like something I'd use vs high recovering chars like Snake.

:phone:

xzx

Smash Lord
@Iota: Sweet to hear! ;)

@Reflex: Since you can't double jump after the DJCH I think the DJ is required for this. But I will test out some more and explain it in my future video! One thing for sure is that one must reverse the CH itself. That explained a lot to me, since when I practiced that time ago I actually practiced reversing the CG and accidentaly did a DJCH.

xzx

Smash Lord
Here is the video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE3-XSG6TCw&list=UU6rVVnMepIfAN--vkMaTLMA&index=1&feature=plcp

At first, I want to say that the Double Jump isn't required for this "DJCH". And you don't either have to reverse the Chopper Hop. This was easier to do than I thought, and I think this requires the same inputs as Lucas Zap jump (don't know about the frame window though). Wario flies high, but the DJ isn't consumed or required. What do you think? Cool, huh?

Top Bottom