• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Ill be honest, I think 50-50 on the MK Wario MU. :) I think it largely depends on style and MU knowledge.
I think this can be said for a lot of Wario's MU's. A lot of times the MU will fall on the Wario and his ability or inability to punish and space properly. He also needs to be aware of his options against a character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
For real. Wario is not MK's even matchup. At all. That matchup is not good and the only reason it feels close is because MK players tend to get lazy which opens up holes that shouldn't frankly be there.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
For real. Wario is not MK's even matchup. At all. That matchup is not good and the only reason it feels close is because MK players tend to get lazy which opens up holes that shouldn't frankly be there.
Or maybe we've been exploring and furthering the metagame? That's what I think.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Well i play offline i just don't have any uploaded.

Online is the best ive got for a advice. Of course i still need to get rid of wifi habits when i play offline it's still something id like someone to look at.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
lolwut. Peach is hella worse than MK for Wario. she has insane grab release follow-ups, not to mention that fuking back air.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
lolwut. Peach is hella worse than MK for Wario. she has insane grab release follow-ups, not to mention that fuking back air.
Aw man you're serious?

MK is still one of Wario's bad matches, but it CAN be 50-50, and it's not if the MK doesn't know wtf he's doing, it's if the wario keeps it fresh/mixed up.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I honestly cant believe you guys think MK is a worse MU than D3... Wario only beats D3 on like, Brinstar and RC. I personally think Wario:MK is 50:50 or maybe 55:45 to MK bcos of how early Wario can kill MK... also, MK doesnt have grab release followups that are as gay as D3 and Peach's... maybe MK MU is worse than Peach, but not worse than D3. with D3, one grab = dthrow CG and then a semi-charged usmash at the edge of the stage which is just horrible... I'm pretty sure he can grab release to bair or fair too.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I honestly cant believe you guys think MK is a worse MU than D3... Wario only beats D3 on like, Brinstar and RC. I personally think Wario:MK is 50:50 or maybe 55:45 to MK bcos of how early Wario can kill MK... also, MK doesnt have grab release followups that are as gay as D3 and Peach's... maybe MK MU is worse than Peach, but not worse than D3. with D3, one grab = dthrow CG and then a semi-charged usmash at the edge of the stage which is just horrible... I'm pretty sure he can grab release to bair or fair too.
GR isn't nor does it encompass a whole MU. It's just one option. You have to get past the fact that X character has a GR on you.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
DDD is definitely the worst.

But im starting to think that like, MK and marth can be worst after playing MikeHaze and Kadaj.

Marths no fun :X

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
I hate it when people base the whole matchup off grab release.
I lose all faith in human intelligence when someone tells me Wario vs Yoshi is 55:45 yoshis favor just because yoshi infinates use lol xD

Excellence

Smash Champion
The thing is chaingrabs and grab releases do frame out a lot of Wario's playstyle and I hate it when people keep denying it. When you play as Wario, one of the first things you say to yourself is "don't get grabbed" and whenever you have to make the decision between taking a dash attack after a roll or continue shielding and possibly getting grabbed to grab release, you always choose to roll and take the dash attack. How can people say that grab release and chaingrabs don't box Wario's playstyle during match-ups where they're the deciding factor for an opponent? If the MU is Dedede vs Wario then Dedede wants to the grab and he's going to make decisions to get that over decisions to take other things when he knows he needs them. If chaingrabbing to grab release and infinities weren't an option for Wario's opponent, he would be played a lot differently. There would probably be more usage of 1st jab OOS and stuff like that.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
After seeing Malcolm beat Coney fairly easily, I am very convinced MK is by far our worst matchup. Yes, DDD is bad. But MK is worse. I really don't think we can do much about this character. If we were Snake that'd be a different story, D3 would be insanely hard then. We simply have more options against D3 since we have the ability to easier, chain moves, punish, etc. I really feel we can't do much of that at all to MK. If the MK doesn't make mistakes, it's going to be VERY hard to win.

Most of that is how I've normally felt for a while now. I can't see how MK isn't our hardest, but I can see how DDD may not even be our second hardest. I think he is, but maybe a random matchup will find its way around our character and we'll all suddenly avoid the grab against D3 for some reason. ._.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
After seeing Malcolm beat Coney fairly easily, I am very convinced MK is by far our worst matchup. Yes, DDD is bad. But MK is worse. I really don't think we can do much about this character. If we were Snake that'd be a different story, D3 would be insanely hard then. We simply have more options against D3 since we have the ability to easier, chain moves, punish, etc. I really feel we can't do much of that at all to MK. If the MK doesn't make mistakes, it's going to be VERY hard to win.

Most of that is how I've normally felt for a while now. I can't see how MK isn't our hardest, but I can see how DDD may not even be our second hardest. I think he is, but maybe a random matchup will find its way around our character and we'll all suddenly avoid the grab against D3 for some reason. ._.
Only reason why Malcolm won was because he practiced with Coney constantly to at least get an edge @ the MU. Malcolm still hates the D3 MU as do I. Just because you see someone do well against D3 doesn't mean that the MU itself is now easier. He still struggles against it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

You can chain moves vs MK as Wario you need to step it up

Coney

Smash Master
would you believe this actually wasn't a namesearch

look i've been dwelling around this discussion for a while. i don't know which matchup is worse, that's not my place to say, but don't go off my performance at MLG. i played the matchup INCREDIBLY badly against malcolm and i got punished hard for it. we talked about it at the venue, during the matches, everything. i have a typically aggressive style that i really need to tone down for wario, and i just didn't.

also, atomsk played malcolm the next day at MLG. atomsk won.

as ddd, what you have to do against wario is literally just bair and pivot grab; wall him out. watch vs malcolm, i'm constantly jumping in and bairing his shield without any kind of mixups, i'm messing up chaingrabs, i'm uthrowing for christ's sake. could malcolm have beaten me if i was playing at my best? yes, very possibly! he's a really smart player and we've played a ton together to get the matchup, so he knows what to do. but i made it very easy for him, is all i'm saying. ****, he would have beaten me on FD had he not sd'd.

i'm not making excuses or johns or whatever you want to call them, i played like garbage. i'm just saying, don't you dare take that as the end-all be-all source footage of that matchup because it's honestly just not.

also

Coney is nowhere as good as Malcolm is.

who

in the BLUE HELL

are you

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The thing is chaingrabs and grab releases do frame out a lot of Wario's playstyle and I hate it when people keep denying it. When you play as Wario, one of the first things you say to yourself is "don't get grabbed" and whenever you have to make the decision between taking a dash attack after a roll or continue shielding and possibly getting grabbed to grab release, you always choose to roll and take the dash attack. How can people say that grab release and chaingrabs don't box Wario's playstyle during match-ups where they're the deciding factor for an opponent? If the MU is Dedede vs Wario then Dedede wants to the grab and he's going to make decisions to get that over decisions to take other things when he knows he needs them. If chaingrabbing to grab release and infinities weren't an option for Wario's opponent, he would be played a lot differently. There would probably be more usage of 1st jab OOS and stuff like that.
Actually, getting grabbed or GR isn't that big of a deal. People focus on it way too much. Against d3 you just have to play tighter and limit your mistakes. You can also make it so that the CG only does about 20 damage if you stay close to the end of the stage. But playing like that is gay and god forbid a Wario plays smarts instead being this rush down aggro piece of crpp that throws out 3000 dairs and 30000 fairs and wonders why they're getting walled and grabbed. But it's whatever Wario isn't a character with more than one play style.

It really just means that Wario can make less mistakes than other people. The game designers obviously included it as part of his design in order to guide Wario players towards their intended playstyle for Wario (despite the fact that many people will try to tell you that the developers of Brawl just randomly made up the characters without thinking)
This is true. People blame sakurai for their down falls way too much.

Even though Malcolm beat Coney he eventually lost to Atomsk. Malcolm dislike the MU from the post I've seen him say. It's stage dependant and also depends on how the Wario plays it.

Only reason why Malcolm won was because he practiced with Coney constantly to at least get an edge @ the MU. Malcolm still hates the D3 MU as do I. Just because you see someone do well against D3 doesn't mean that the MU itself is now easier. He still struggles against it.
This is true. The d3 MU isn't a cake walk. However, I feel as though if the Wario is prepared and plays smart he should come out on top. Limit the amount you're grabbed when you're grabbed and limit the damage he can do from a grab.

Coney is nowhere as good as Malcolm is.
LoL Coney is good mangz.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
@Coney: My identity is not relevant to the discussion. Also, I actually implied everything you were saying, waiting for someone to say it (ima tired :(). The relevant question is, however:

Who are you, and what are you replying to my posts for?

lol I'm such a ****

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
D3 and MK both wall out wario pretty well

but MK has a better aerial game than D3 and isnt as fat so wario can't "combo" him as well

i think MK is a little worse and i also think no one is playing the D3 matchup right

Kaffei

Smash Hero
How about you stop thinking that MK walls out Wario and start thinking of ways to get inside
Your aerial mobility is ****ing ****

Top Bottom