• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Shift

Smash Journeyman
NO matter what i never grab release.
Its just not in me to do that to my own character. I mean how can you get mad at other characters GR you then do it yourself?

F U DMG :mad:
I GR on other Wario's. Wario is a dirty character so I play how the character should be played: Dirty.

Stealing diamonds, stabbing other people in the back, and riding off into the sunset on the bike after a sweet victory. That's the life of a Wario. :awesome:

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
What if you don't get mad @ other people GRing you.
This is impossiable. If they do it for the win then there is no way you want be mad. You be mad at yourself for getting grabbed. So therefore the situation you have mentioned is a technical impossiablity ;)

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Question:

How the hell do you outcamp these characters?
-Falco: A good Falco can constantly shoot lasers, and I really don't see how I'm able to avoid a lot of lasers for 2 minutes straight.
-Olimar: I know we outprioritze Pikmin, but he's got ****ing 6 of them. They're gonna be coming at Wario very fast and the with the white ones and all I don't see how he won't rack a good 60%+ on us in a campfest.
-Toon Link: This guy can pull out so many projeciles at the speed of light. I don't know how I'll be able to avoid 50 bombs + arrows and boomerangs and a little bit of zair as well. I've tried camping before and it did NOT work well.
-Pit: I have NO idea how to deal with lasers arrows. I play better against Pits agressively than defensively. Agressively I'll barely lose to someone better than me. Defensively I'll get 2 stocked by someone who's at my level.

If I could get an input on how to camp against those characters I'd love to know, they just seem so impossible to outcamp. x_X

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
How the hell do you outcamp these characters?
-Falco: A good Falco can constantly shoot lasers, and I really don't see how I'm able to avoid a lot of lasers for 2 minutes straight.
If you camp on a platform it's a lot harder for his projectile to hit you.

-Olimar: I know we outprioritze Pikmin, but he's got ****ing 6 of them. They're gonna be coming at Wario very fast and the with the white ones and all I don't see how he won't rack a good 60%+ on us in a campfest.
Like Falco use a playform to camp. Ftilt knocks the pikmin off of you.

-Toon Link: This guy can pull out so many projeciles at the speed of light. I don't know how I'll be able to avoid 50 bombs + arrows and boomerangs and a little bit of zair as well. I've tried camping before and it did NOT work well.
You can fair the boomerangs and you may be able to fair arrows also. You can catch bombs or just avoid them.

-Pit: I have NO idea how to deal with lasers. I play better against Pits agressively than defensively. Agressively I'll barely lose to someone better than me. Defensively I'll get 2 stocked by someone who's at my level.
Air dodge? Pitt's arrows are pretty easy to avoid.

If you're being aggro and throwing out moves will approaching their just gonna hit you with their projectiles. You can close the distance with out being hit. In the end all of the projectiles you can air dodge and the further away you are from the character the easier it becomes to avoid their projectiles.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I guess I gotcha on Falco and Oli, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna be able to avoid Tink's projectiles easily. I mean... they can throw a bomb near you and iirc it'll still hit without you being able to catch it. IDK if there's an easier way to avoid them since I know I'm not gonna be able to airdodge two or three that seem to come at once. Sure I could stay away, but that makes Tink even harder to hit and to me, the guy's extremely hard to hit since he's so small and fast.

And Pit's arrows just go so fast and change directions and shiz that they can just change up their timing that there's no way I'm able to aridodge them all. I mean I may be able to avoid like... 7 in a row, but any Pit's willing to use arrows the whole match if they have a lead. That's what really makes it tough for me.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I guess I gotcha on Falco and Oli, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna be able to avoid Tink's projectiles easily. I mean... they can throw a bomb near you and iirc it'll still hit without you being able to catch it. IDK if there's an easier way to avoid them since I know I'm not gonna be able to airdodge two or three that seem to come at once. Sure I could stay away, but that makes Tink even harder to hit and to me, the guy's extremely hard to hit since he's so small and fast.

And Pit's arrows just go so fast and change directions and shiz that they can just change up their timing that there's no way I'm able to aridodge them all. I mean I may be able to avoid like... 7 in a row, but any Pit's willing to use arrows the whole match if they have a lead. That's what really makes it tough for me.
What is the Tlink doing exactly? Bombs need to be pulled out (an opportunity to close the distance) Boomerangs have slow start up (another opportunity to close the distance) Arrows can be easily power shielded. Then there's his Zair which is pretty tricky. But can be shielded also. You should pay attention to what exactly the Tlink is doing. If he's jumps backwards you can pretty much be assured that a Zair will come out.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You shouldn't be close to TL and trying to 'dodge' the projectiles at the same time. If you're going to hit him, you're either canceling the projectiles out, or you already managed to make your way around them.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'd cheer you on broski. Playing the gay/campy style is always the fun thing to do as a Wario. I plan on doing the exact same thing with my Wario now and never approach. It pisses the opponent off and it gives me a better chance to see their mistakes through their rage. :awesome:
I've actually done that to several people.

I'll jump around, let them try to approach me, keep jumping crazily around their moves, and they never hit and aren't even close, and I just keep moving crazy like a bee swatting his stinger-*** in your face like "You can't do anything, so don't even try. Get some help."

Cookies to the person who knows that reference.

In real life they actually kinda rage and just stop moving and look away from the TV like I'm going to stop because they stopped looking XD

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Most of the Tinks I play use like 60% Bombs, 25% Arrows, 10% Boomerang, and 5% Zair.

If I'm far away, I'll usually end up getting hit by a few projectiles and the Tink outcamps me.

If I'm close, the Tink usually gets a move in first. If I'm around 0% then it's a utilt juggle. If it's a mid+ percent then it's usually an aerial like nair, or a tilt.

I can't really seem to overcome this, but I think it's all that's really holding myself back in this matchup.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Most of the Tinks I play use like 60% Bombs, 25% Arrows, 10% Boomerang, and 5% Zair.

If I'm far away, I'll usually end up getting hit by a few projectiles and the Tink outcamps me.

If I'm close, the Tink usually gets a move in first. If I'm around 0% then it's a utilt juggle. If it's a mid+ percent then it's usually an aerial like nair, or a tilt.

I can't really seem to overcome this, but I think it's all that's really holding myself back in this matchup.
Why are you allowing Tlink's to pull out bombs then throw bombs at you ? They're not the fastest projectile. If that's how they're using their jectiles you shouldn't have any trouble getting in on them.

You need to space better if you're running into utilts and nairs. Record your matches then break down what you're doing. See if there's things you can do differently.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
Wario boards start recruiting more warios please
It's not something us Waribros do. It's kinda like... in order to be a Wario, just pick him up, start using him, and post more on the Wariboards. I don't think any of us are like:

"PLAY WARIO! HE FARTS ON PEOPLE, EATS STUFF, STEALS DIAMONDS, AND HAS A COOL BIKE!" :warioc:

That's very cool and all but... it's all on their initiative if they want to learn/main him. We don't have that persuasive MK power that any player could say to noobies who first pick up a GC controller.

"Pick MK because he's the fastest and the best in the game. 99% of his MUs are in his favor, he's very easy to learn, etc, etc."

Can't really beat that argument.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
... AND HAS A COOL BIKE!" :warioc:
This alone was enough for me to want to go back to 2008 and pick Wario again. :D

Also in all seriousness I will ask that anyone who is interested in playing as wario to please play me in tournaments for friendlies. I may not play that long because I like to play lots of people all at once, but I will see what you're doing with wario and help you the best I can. I can gather a lot from the Ditto, or using MK (because my MK is half garbage/half knows what it's doing, I can at least see what you do wrong/right)!

Willing to help YES! Willing to recruit? Maybe not. What do you even "do" to recruit people to wario besides saying the character is sexy! It's gotta be an opinion.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
If you're having trouble against Toon Link, look up some JNig vs. Hyro videos--there's plenty on Youtube. JNig used to struggle with the MU, but he's been consistently beating Hyro as of late.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Not gonna lie, I switch to MK for TL cause that matchup SO much easier.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
TL is fun for me, I can beat him with both Pit and Wario though, so if I get nervous I got something to back me up when the time comes I have to play a TL in tourney. He's a real challenge!

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
If you're having trouble against Toon Link, look up some JNig vs. Hyro videos--there's plenty on Youtube. JNig used to struggle with the MU, but he's been consistently beating Hyro as of late.
I only see like... one set (Which I've seen before). xD I'll check the video thread.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
It's not something us Waribros do. It's kinda like... in order to be a Wario, just pick him up, start using him, and post more on the Wariboards. I don't think any of us are like:

"PLAY WARIO! HE FARTS ON PEOPLE, EATS STUFF, STEALS DIAMONDS, AND HAS A COOL BIKE!" :warioc:

That's very cool and all but... it's all on their initiative if they want to learn/main him. We don't have that persuasive MK power that any player could say to noobies who first pick up a GC controller.

"Pick MK because he's the fastest and the best in the game. 99% of his MUs are in his favor, he's very easy to learn, etc, etc."

Can't really beat that argument.
Daaaaaaaaang.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I am now a firm believer of the Wario-MK matchup being 50-50, MAYBE 45-55 MK's favor. I've progressed a lot lately in the matchup, and have found a really good style to play against the guy. I shall call it.....

"Zen Master" Style

That is all.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I've been having issues with the glide toss for Wario. Half the time I perform the glide toss, it goes a very short distance. The other half of the time, it goes a much longer length, somewhere around twice the length of the shorter one. Either one would be fine, but it is inconsistent which one happens, causing me to miss tire>waft stringing.

What am I doing to cause each specific version to happen? (I'm hoping for something in terms of frame data, but i'll settle for empirical comparative descriptors)

Is there specific situational application that people use of either short/long version?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I've been having issues with the glide toss for Wario. Half the time I perform the glide toss, it goes a very short distance. The other half of the time, it goes a much longer length, somewhere around twice the length of the shorter one. Either one would be fine, but it is inconsistent which one happens, causing me to miss tire>waft stringing.

What am I doing to cause each specific version to happen? (I'm hoping for something in terms of frame data, but i'll settle for empirical comparative descriptors)

Is there specific situational application that people use of either short/long version?
I think you'll be able to find the answer to your question here.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172861

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
WTF do I do against Olimar? Like how do I get in? How do I get around the pikmin properly? I've seen people say nair is good and our moves outprioritize pikmin moves, but I still have no idea what to do. I have no one to practice this matchup with, so I'm looking to you guys.

Seriously.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Okay the Oli matchup is really hard to explain over the interwebz but, I'll try.

xxxxx|xxxxxx
xxxxx|xxxxxx
xx----O----xxx

Picture Oli as the O, if you are fighting a very good olimar he will rarley leave the ground unless he is trying to combo you. The line coming off Oli are where his pikman travel when he does smash attacks. I assume your question was more like how do I approach Olimar since I assume he is playing very campy. Unless he is throwing pikman at you up close (which he shouldn't) try to stay around the x's (which is easier said than done of course.) Watch out for the pivot grab if you do miss an attack your best bet in this match up is to stay airborne and when you do approach to stay out of the area's he can hit.

Olimar is easy once you get him off the stage or even up in the air. His whistle is annoying, some practice and this mu is easy.

*used to main Olimar*
Hope that helps a bit JNig.

I wanted to add to the bold part. Once you get him off the stage the Oli will more than likely save his second jump. so when he is nearing the edge he will usually up air underneath/close to the ledge then either up b or just grab the ledge.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
WTF do I do against Olimar? Like how do I get in? How do I get around the pikmin properly? I've seen people say nair is good and our moves outprioritize pikmin moves, but I still have no idea what to do. I have no one to practice this matchup with, so I'm looking to you guys.

Seriously.
Fair Ftilt are good against Oli. As long as you space properly you'll be able to beat out his moves. Nair's good because the second hit knocks him out of the whistle and is good for edge guarding. Also Lord Chair posted about how it's can be effectively used in combo's. You can also try playing against the comp to familiarize your self with the spacing and his moveset in general.

You should also check out the video thread Slik has some vids against Logic. I think PX has some vids also. You can also try learning Olimar so you can understand the MU more. If you don't know what to do in a match up you can always try camping. You can also try wifi if you really need the MU exp.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nooooooooooooooooooooo no wifi............... ! =(

Chair posted a large thing here, as did Gifts as seen above.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Thanks guys. There's only a couple of Olimar players in LA, and they don't even main the character, so I appreciate the help. It's just hard to apply what you read and watch when you can't really practice it.

@AL, practicing against a CPU Oli is something I won't do. It teaches me how to beat a CPU, not a very good Oli player. I doubt CPU's know how to OoS upsmash like Logic does, for example. Plus a CPU won't camp me hard, lol.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Thanks guys. There's only a couple of Olimar players in LA, and they don't even main the character, so I appreciate the help. It's just hard to apply what you read and watch when you can't really practice it.

@AL, practicing against a CPU Oli is something I won't do. It teaches me how to beat a CPU, not a very good Oli player. I doubt CPU's know how to OoS upsmash like Logic does, for example. Plus a CPU won't camp me hard, lol.
While this may be true. You'll still learn the spacing on his moves. You'll also be able to get used to the characters move set. It's better than doing absolutely nothing and since you don't play online. It's your best option.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
I have various questions.

1. What options does wario have OOS?

2. What moves can Wario successfully sheild grab?

3. What do you guys think about Waft as an OOS option? Ive landed a few kills this way.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
I have various questions.

1. What options does wario have OOS?

2. What moves can Wario successfully sheild grab?

3. What do you guys think about Waft as an OOS option? Ive landed a few kills this way.
1. I think with wario it's best to be in shield as little as possible. Just stay in the air and away from your opponent unless you are hitting them. But nair OoS is kinda good.

2. Wario's shield grab is pretty good, he can grab a lot of stuff depending on the opponent's spacing

3. If you perfect shield anything you can usually land a good waft

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Kaffei, I appreciate your interest in our character,but you need to see the truth.

Wario does not beat MK; the MU is 55-45 MK AT BEST.

It's winnable, but so **** hard.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Nigguhhhhhhhhh you all need to have some confidence in your character!
MK isn't just good because he's MK; MK's Meta game is super evolved and that's what you *****es need to do with Wario. Go out there, find ****, and ****!

Even if the MK vs Wario MU is in MK's favor. Step. It. Up. Wario *****.

<3

B.Mack

Smash Ace
we've found like, the bike glitch... which is impossible to replicate in a real match and would probably be banned anyways... thats about it.

Top Bottom