• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

want CLOUD STRIFE in brawl? official thread.

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
Inbewteen Corneria, Midgar, Mushroom kingdom, and
O.o
Sorry for the spam, but I'm left speechless at this. Ok first, Geno for brawl.(maby mallow too if hes luckly). Than we may have a SLIGHT chance at any final fantasy character(in a future game). Although it will probally be Fighter/BM/or WM.

P.S. FINALLY undenyiable proff(sp?) that White Mage IS a girl.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
I just read this entire thread and a lot of you had nothing to contribute. Cloud has a very slim chance of being in brawl but he still has a chance. Most arguements were repetitive so I will counter all of them in one post.

1) "He is property of Square-Enix." Yet so is Geno and most of you want him. Not only that but if nintendo wants him bad enough the can buy the rights. Some of you continue to talk about the bad relationship between Square-enix and Nintendo and use that as a reason that he won't be in. The have apparently gotten rid of some of the bad blood because square is helping in the development of the mario hoops, which will feature final fantasy characters alongside mario characters.

2) "When I think of Cloud I think of Sony." True, but the same holds true for snake. Who really sits and thinks "well snake did start on nintendo".

3) "He was never on a nintendo console." He was on KH-com as well as final fantasy tactics ( I think, not 100% sure). Whereas he didn't star on neither games he was still there.

4) "He would ruin the game." That has to be the second dumbest arguement in the whole thread. How is one character going to ruin a whole game?

5) "He would be to powerful." This is still a nintendo game. With all their franchise characters in brawl, do you really think they will make cloud the best. Just like snake won't be the best and just like Mewtwo was rediculously powered down, cloud won't be anything higher than mid-tier.

6) "I don't like him, he is over-rated." This is the number 1 dumbest arguement that he shouldn't be included. Every character will be disliked by someone.....I guess they should just scrap the whole project and not even release brawl.

7) "There are more popular/better FF characters." No there aren't. No ff character is as popular as cloud. His name can be mentioned to someone that never played ff7 and they will know which game he was in, what his weapon of choice looks like, who his main rival is etc etc. Try the same with Cecil or Kefka and if the person never played the games they were in you will hear a response of "WHO".

8) "I wouldn't buy brawl if cloud was included." Wow. Do you actually believe that yourself. ith more than thirty characters, one is going to mak you boycott the whole game? No. You'll be mad for a while, you'll ***** and complain as you play the game, and eventually you'll stop.

9) "He is to realistic for a game like smash bros." One word: Snake

Last point. This is business. Nintendo would make a lot of money by including cloud. He has a very large fanbase and most of them would buy the wii just to get brawl and play as there beloved hero. Nintendo does what they do to develop fans but if you think that the money is not important you're delusional. His addition would bring so many extra dollars that I'm sure nintendo would add him if they can.....right alongside sonic.

I realize that he has a slim chance of being included as I stated before, but some of these reasons are asinine (look it up). Most of the things being used as arguements can be easily countered by the addition of snake

EDIT: 10) "This isn't Final Fantasy brawl." Do you really think the title should change becasue of one character? Would we change it to Sega brawl if sonic gets in?

Sephi_hatu

Smash Apprentice
Cloud was in Final Fantasy tactics. Some type of side mission were you meet him and Tifa (or Aerith, I cant remember). And then he was in Chain of memories, but so was Leon and Sora.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I would like to say Cloud cant get into Brawl. His chance is zero.

I bet your saying "He's been on a Nintendo console. That makes him eligable", but your not thinking logicaly. Let just say he could be in Brawl. If he does that means he would have an FF7 course, trophies ect. The characters in it represent there franchise. Snake has his own course and probobly more. But wait those where never on a Nintendo console. The fact is he was a cameo in KH:CoM. I know there hasn't been a rule stated for cameos but if you think about it we can assume. So, you let a cameo character in whoi hasn't had his game on a Nintendo console. You have all this FF7 stuff yet you've never seen it on a Nintnedo system. Seems strange. The fact is hes not eligable along with any of the other FF7+ characters

If that dosn't help here
"Since Sony partially owns Square Enix, the company that makes the Final Fantasy series, it seemed extremely unlikely that Final Fantasy would ever be published on a Nintendo console again."

So whats that mean. It means Sony owns a portion of FF. If you look at the page you'll see FF:CC was only done by a loop hole. In fact beside that there has been no other FF game for a Nintendo console since the Super NES. So in other words Sony owns FF7 and up. They wouldn't allow Cloud in SSBB. And if thats true then its free publisity for Sony. Also Nintendo never asked them about it so they may have come to the same conclusion.

Really Cloud will be a no show. Other classic FF characters such as Black Mage may make it but no Cloud.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
SmashChu said:
I bet your saying "He's been on a Nintendo console. That makes him eligable", but your not thinking logicaly. Let just say he could be in Brawl. If he does that means he would have an FF7 course, trophies ect. The characters in it represent there franchise. Snake has his own course and probobly more. But wait those where never on a Nintendo console.
Ok, but on the same note the character design and outfit being used for snake was from metal gear solid(ps1). Also, unless if I'm mistaken, the cardboard box was originated in metal gear solid. Yeah he later had a few games on the gamecube but everything I've seen so far of him screams playstation. I never played his first game on nintendo so i could be wrong.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
BIRDMAN22 said:
Ok, but on the same note the character design and outfit being used for snake was from metal gear solid(ps1). Also, unless if I'm mistaken, the cardboard box was originated in metal gear solid. Yeah he later had a few games on the gamecube but everything I've seen so far of him screams playstation. I never played his first game on nintendo so i could be wrong.
Well, you gotta remember that they remade MGS1 and 2 for the gamecube. Everything Snake is in those games is totally eligible.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
BIRDMAN22 said:
MGS1 was remade as Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. In not sure about MGS2 but the course and Box were in that game. The look dossn't matter too much but there was a side sequence in which he cut his hair.

LilNess

Smash Rookie
I doubt we may find Cloud, if an FF character is to be in there, the it would have to be Cecil, Terra, Locke(cmon he rocks), or Kain.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
cloud strife does actualy have a very large chance at being in SSBB. desptie the fact he's only appeared in few games (cameo in kingdom hearts), he is very popular. and lets face it, popular sells. people dont care how many times hes appeared on a nintendo console, they only care if he's popular. and also, in fandom, sonic is to mario as cloud is to link. and also, the FF series is a whole. the FF series has appeared plenty in nintendo games. and if squeenix is gonna contribute to SSBB, they will choose thier most popular character. and who is that most popular character. none other then cloud striferooni.
plus zelda/FF fans have been waiting for a link vs cloud thing as long as mario/sonic fans have been waiting for mario vs sonic. cloud will perhaps get in due to popular demand.

Codename: Zero

Smash Journeyman
If they were going for their most popular character, they'd choose Sephiroth, lol.

Unfortunately, I doubtt they'd have Sephiroth without Cloud, and I really have my doubts on him making an apperance in Brawl.

TAMASHI

Smash Apprentice
Cloud Strife has my vote for SSBB, although I don't think he'll have a good chance seeing as Sony has a share of Final Fantasy...=(

Navajo7

Smash Rookie
id love to kick some *** with cloud, but if we were to get something from square enix, it would be a crystal chronicals charaster

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Speaking of Cloud, I just recently saw FFVII: Advent Children and I must say it didn't live up to all the hype. If anything, I just made me lament even more that the best of the Final Fantasy series, FFIV and FFVI, are still virtually ignored. I also have high regard for FFIII (the original, though the DS remake is really going to boost its status) and FFV (FF5e version, not the "official" half-***** effort in FF Anthology...). I only hope these gems eventually get the royal treatment.

iiamjosh

Smash Rookie
AttackstorM said:
would you be outraged? or over joyed? i would definantly main him. the best rpg character of all time coming to the best fighting game of all time would make super smash bros. brawl be out of this world in awesomeness!!!

Why would you put a non nintendo character in a "Nintendo All-Stars" game.

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry for haveing to do this, but I can not put it any other way.

*inhales deeply*

SNAKE DUR DUR DURRR!!111!!!1!

Try reading it helps you learn stuff!
If you are new to the online world of Smash brothers, or havent seen the movie I aplogise fully, but still please please PLEASE search before you post.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
AttackstorM said:
would you be outraged? or over joyed? i would definantly main him. the best rpg character of all time coming to the best fighting game of all time would make super smash bros. brawl be out of this world in awesomeness!!!
If they anted to put in the besdt RPG character ever, it would have to be Cait Sith :chuckle: (seriously, I like him more than Cloud)

No, sorry, he hasn't had a MAJOR apperance on a Nintendo console (Chain Of Memories is the only real apperance he has, and It's small at best)

Besides, FFVIII is bette than FFVII

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
hemightbegiant said:
If they anted to put in the besdt RPG character ever, it would have to be Cait Sith :chuckle: (seriously, I like him more than Cloud)

No, sorry, he hasn't had a MAJOR apperance on a Nintendo console (Chain Of Memories is the only real apperance he has, and It's small at best)

Besides, FFVIII is bette than FFVII
Actually, if you want to be technical, he was also on ff tactics. I still don't think he will be included(even thought that would be great IMO).

FFVIII was great but better than FFVII? I would argue that........on another day.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
BIRDMAN22 said:
Actually, if you want to be technical, he was also on ff tactics. I still don't think he will be included(even thought that would be great IMO).

FFVIII was great but better than FFVII? I would argue that........on another day.
Well, FF Tactics was on the Playstation, or did you meen FF Tactics Advanced?

Well anyway, as much as we wuld like to see it, Cloud is not going to be incuded in Brawl. Don't worry fans, I'm working on a Smash game usingFlash.....

bbb

Smash Champion
You can already play as the best RPG character ever on SSB & SSBM, it's Ness.

iiamjosh

Smash Rookie
Seth'White Fox' said:
I'm sorry for haveing to do this, but I can not put it any other way.

*inhales deeply*

SNAKE DUR DUR DURRR!!111!!!1!

Try reading it helps you learn stuff!
If you are new to the online world of Smash brothers, or havent seen the movie I aplogise fully, but still please please PLEASE search before you post.

Well since Metal Gear Solid 1 was actually remade for gamecube it makes more sense than having a character who never made an appearance in any nintendo game. If they were to include any FF characters they wouldn't be from FFVII. And I'm sorry I don't hide behind my computer and make crappy insults. Lawl pwnd. Haha the "online world of Smash brothers" haha.

Dr.Ice_Falco

Smash Rookie
^^ it's up in my top 5 RPGs of all time, great game..

but, on topic, we've all seen how square has been towards Nintendo for the past 5 years... sure they gave us Chrystal Chronicals and FF: Tactics advanced and a few remakes..

but other than that, Squre has been very dry since the SNES days, and it seems very unlikely, and somewhat ridiculous to think they would put Cloud in this game..

and yeah, you are thinking "isn't it rediculous to think snake was going to be in the game, but there he is in the trailer." well, if you go way back before SSBM came out Hideo Kojima begged for Snake to be in the game, but Nintendo/HAL turned him down

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Dr.Ice_Falco said:
^^ it's up in my top 5 RPGs of all time, great game..

but, on topic, we've all seen how square has been towards Nintendo for the past 5 years... sure they gave us Chrystal Chronicals and FF: Tactics advanced and a few remakes..

but other than that, Squre has been very dry since the SNES days, and it seems very unlikely, and somewhat ridiculous to think they would put Cloud in this game..

and yeah, you are thinking "isn't it rediculous to think snake was going to be in the game, but there he is in the trailer." well, if you go way back before SSBM came out Hideo Kojima begged for Snake to be in the game, but Nintendo/HAL turned him down
You're half right.

Nintendo was under time constrints, because they put out a realease date when they started making it, and had a headline. They turned sdown Kojima's offer becuase of time issues, even tough I'm sure they didn't wan to. Same thing with Taji Naka, creator of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also, they took pre-existing characters and made clones for them to make work easier so the game could come out o n time, hence why Diddy Kong, Pit, Mach Riderand Meta-Kinght never made it into the game like planned.

Micro70

Smash Rookie
too bad for cloud...

im afraid that Cloud doesnt stand much of a chance of being in brawl. although he is most probably THE most famous RPG character, he just wasnt on any of Nintendo's systems... (i believe he might have made a brief appearence in FF tactics advance or sumthing, anyway nothing significant...)

i think cloud is an awesome character, and i would love to see him in brawl, he just doest seem to have a very good chance... i'm also pretty sure Nintendo isnt going to include any other Square characters either...

P.S.: all of the games in the SSB series are for nintendo and videogame all-stars. it bugs the hek out of me when people hope and pray for random pointless characters for brawl, like fludd mario, golden sun characters, or geno. im not saying these characters have no chance in hell (although pretty close) but those people are probably just going to have their hopes crushed. although, perhaps cloud may be a random pointless character to some people aswell.

and thats my pointless rant ;)

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
Iamjosh, although MGS1 was remade on gamecube you can't deny that Snake is known for playstation.
I'm sorry I was a bit rude in saying that. I can oftentimes be a little hasty on my comment disions. And by the way I dont really support Cloud for Brawl(Tho it would be kinda cool in my opoion.)I more or less support him for a later addation. I belive that Brawl is far to soon.

Oh and by the way:
iiamjosh said:
I'm sorry I don't hide behind my computer and make crappy insults. Lawl pwnd. Haha the "online world of Smash brothers" haha.
You mean like that insult right there. You've contradicted yourself. And I don't belive that "pwnd" is exactly the greatist comeback in the world. Although I probally had it comeing I was rather rude and I aploige.

P.s. For those who do hope that Cloud is included Cloud can be a teammate in FF Tatics Advance, and is part of the Hurcleus subplot in KH:Chain of Memorys and is also a summon.
Not to metion he has a possible chance of being in The new Mario Hoops:3 on 3 game who allready has Ninja, Black Mage, White Mage, Moogle, and Cactar.(althoigh I REALLY hope he doesen't get in beceause it would belittle him to have him play basketball. O.o)

icymatt

Smash Lord
Cloud was not in Tactics Advance, but the original FF Tactics on the PS1.

And I'm pretty sure the 5 FF characters already in Mario Hoops are all that's there.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Well, I guess that was a mistake, because Cloud's not in Advance, just the original.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
1) Cloud is not the greatest RPG character of all time. Ness is a better RPG character.

2) Cloud is not even the greatest FF character of all time. I highly prefer Squall to Cloud. (FF8 > FF7)

3) Cloud would be horrible in brawl. Think about it, it would just be marth to the extreme. Imagine it, the buster sword, a disjointed hitbox the size of bowser!!!! Oh god it's too horrible to comprehend! >_<
Oh no! A n00b picked him! AHHHH LAWL DOWNSMASH! SOMEONE TAKE AWAY HIS C-STICK!!!!!!

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
1) Not that it matters but that is a opinion.

2) This is a opinion aswell, but It can be proven that Cloud is more well known than Squall.

3) I agree, but for different reasons. I dont think its possible for Cloud, if he were in the game, to be a clone of Marth. Besides he would probaly be slower so the disjointed box would be harder to use. Also there is the possibilty of giveing him lag after he hits things (once again if he were in the game) to even out his possibilty of being a cheep character. Also, Nintendo JUST started takeing third party character requests. Snake has at least stared on a Nintendo console whereas Cloud just had a role in a sub plot of 2 of them. I think he has a chance, but not for Brawl; for the next Super Smash? Shure, maby.

bbb

Smash Champion
Cloud = noob

Cloud is not in Tactics Advance, I know because I had like 400 hours on that game as well as the guide, he's not in it. I even had him on the original one. Plus Cloud is about the most over rated thing ever, along with the whole of FF7. God I hate it when noobs realize I like video games and pwn at them 10 times harder than any of them so they decide to start talking to me about FF7, I just ****in' lose it.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
It's true... he does.

The fact that Cloud is well more known does nothing to prove that he is a better character.

and just to validate the point that FF7 is overrated, let's do a quick overrun of the story. "We need to find a guy with a sword longer than his body before a giant rock hits earth." ta daaaaaa.

But then again, that's just one guy's opinion.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Dantedemonslayr, that sounds so very phallic.

The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter whether or not Cloud is more popular than Squall or any other FF character, because he is just that; a Final Fantasy Character. And thus, by definition, NOT a Nintendo character.

This is where everyone inevitably brings up Snake, and the fact that he is not owned by Nintendo. Additionally this will insight the constant bickering over what standard Nintendo is going to use for including third party characters. The answer? None.

The reason Snake was in the game is because the makers of Snake pushed for him to be in the game. Such altruism, which profits the makers of Snake virtually nothing aside from their own personal happy feelings, you will possibly see once more in your lifetime before you die.

Squaresoft will not push for Cloud's inclusion in Brawl, and Nintendo isn't going to pay through the anus to use a character that will improve the popularity of an already best selling series only marginally at best. Likewise, it would benefit Squaresoft nothing to lend what is already their most popular character in their best selling series for free. Anyone notice how Square didn't led any of their popular characters to Nintendo for the upcoming Mario basketball game? No, instead they threw in character types, because they aren't very popular, and thus Square can BENEFIT from them being tossed back in the limelight, unlike Cloud, Squall and every other NAMED Final fantasy character, who they can toss in any of their own games and charge you for.

So, the answer is simply no.

Andy

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
I never said that Cloud was a better player. Can you find that quote from me? I said that he is a more reconized charcter, by which I ment he has a better chance than Squal has, even tho both of them have basicly no chance in the first place. Allright now that I have 2 comfermations I will reword my statement."Snake has at least stared on a Nintendo console whereas Cloud just had a role in a sub plot of ((1)) of them." Also Plan 9 what are you talking about?

Plan 9 said -"God I hate it when noobs realize I like video games and pwn at them 10 times harder than any of them so they decide to start talking to me about FF7, I just ****in' lose it."-

Noone said you didn't like videogames and who here have you "pwnd"? This has nothing to do with the conversation at hand, and were not talking about Cloud beceause you have "pwnd" us.

-*EDIT*-
/\
|
The guy above me makes a REALLY good point. Why would Square give, willingly, there most popluar character? This brings up my privious debate. If Cloud will be in ANY smash brothers game it will be AFTER his own hype dies down.

But there is one point that I would like to argue with you. The Director of Brawl said himself that 1-2 more third party may appear in Brawl. Although I feel there slots will be given to characters such as:Sonic, Megaman, and maby the Botikai Kid (forgot his name) sense his owner is the one who begged for Snake.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
The rAt said:
Dantedemonslayr, that sounds so very phallic.
Phallic - "Of, relating to, or resembling a phallus."

What I said resembles a P***s?

w/e. I doubt any FF char will be in brawl. I dont want Cloud in Brawl, and I'm pretty much done with this topic.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Dantedemonslayr said:
1) Cloud is not the greatest RPG character of all time. Ness is a better RPG character.
Ninten. As an Earthbound fan, you must have played "Earthbound Zero/MOTHER". If you have, you wuld agree that Ninten is better than Ness.

Dantedemonslayr said:
2) Cloud is not even the greatest FF character of all time. I highly prefer Squall to Cloud. (FF8 > FF7)
Altough I must give you props for saying FF8 is better than FF7, th best FF character in history was from FF7, and tht is Cait Sith. Second best is Irvine Kinneas from FF 8

Dantedemonslayr said:
3) Cloud would be horrible in brawl. Think about it, it would just be marth to the extreme. Imagine it, the buster sword, a disjointed hitbox the size of bowser!!!!
We already have "Marth to the extreme", Roy, or as I call Marth, "Roy taken down a notch". Anyway, I am using Flash to make a fan-game called "Super Smash Bros All-Stars" (Creative, eh?), and Cloud is a priority charcter, nd I must say he's doing pretty well. If Nintendo did consider Cloud for Brawl, he woul be an insanely good character.

Dantedemonslayr said:
Oh god it's too horrible to comprehend! >_<
See my above post and grow up, it's not so bad. I don't think the idea is enough to make me gouge my eyes out so I can't see him there.

Dantedemonslayr said:
Oh no! A n00b picked him! AHHHH LAWL DOWNSMASH! SOMEONE TAKE AWAY HIS C-STICK!!!!!!
Considering the fact that your title is "Smash n00b" and you have only 7 posts, I guess it's safe to say you only joined up today, and your already callingg people n00bs for their ideas. We were all n00bs once, even pros. Except Ken, he was born a Smash God.

PS: How would you feel if I took away your C-Stick Smash n00b?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I now support FF characters in Brawl. Metal Gear 4 isn't even coming to the Wii even after Snake was made into a character. How evil. At least Square is making games for Nintendo. If Snake can be in, why cant Cloud?

Top Bottom