• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want a truly competitive, skill-based game?

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Chess doesn't even try to be balanced. Have you seen the tier list? Queen is at the top, yet great characters like the rook are low tier. And the king is bottom tier?! What's up with that?

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Rocket Launcher, Grenades

I think they are kinda cheap and lessens the game.

...and YES! Someone else finally said the chess thing...

It truly is the ONLY good, completely balanced masterpiece of a completive game
White moves first.
Yet, it's not possible to create something more even,

...Also, the decision of WHO is white, and the strategy (IE: Watching the other person go first could lead onto the strategy they are working on)
White does have a slight advantage. I've said this before but while Chess is balanced, Go is THE MOST balanced and competitive game to this day; no game could possibly be more fair.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
It disgusts me how this was said in the past (with few different words) and THAT guy was flamed, yet a mod says virtually the same thing and everyone is riding his ****.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Chess truly is the correct answer to this topic, as it exceeds Smashes level of competitiveness by FAR
SFII is also viable. Srsly tho, Go is the correct answer. At least our best players don't get owned by Deep Blue, lololol. Chess players can't even beat a lvl 9 CPU. It powershields every approach, ever.

Rash

Smash Ace
Just because we don't like something doesn't mean that is the only boards we go to. We can talk or debate about Brawl without liking it.

"Go to the Melee boards" is such a dumb argument, if you can even call it that.
That's not even the point of this.

It's not just about talking about Brawl if you don't like it. It's about talking about or against Brawl using Melee as a key part of the argument. Comparisons to Melee are ANNOYING if they keep taking place in the Brawl boards. We're in the Brawl boards to talk about Brawl mostly, not Melee. If you want to talk about Melee, you go to the Melee boards. That's it.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
haha you're foolish as hell. by contradiction I mean contradiction of a community or groups entire purpose, not ones point. Do you know how to read? Trolling sf community for example would be going into the sf board, and saying EX shoryu is a good idea for a cross up - btw, someone did this for a joke, was hilarious, and no, its not a good idea, it gets you killed and a free combo. Its awful advice, doesn't go anywhere, and enacts negative responses.

You can contradict someones opinion, but not lead it away from the purpose of the board repeatedly. Especially when you've beaten the subject into the ground. Just shows you're a troll, really.

You don't have to move on. Ain't gonna change jack. The games out. You had no say in it.

You can keep whining as opposed to just playing melee. (I often prefer certain prequels in many series, not just fighting, for the sake of technicality and complication in comparison to their brethren.)
Now... see this here? This is a troll.

He starts off by mocking and flaming. Inflamitory remarks lead to flame wars, and the troll's true purpose is to start a flame war and get a kick out of it.

The rest of it is just gibberish. The troll is spouting off a bunch of "facts" that are sometimes perfectly factual (to lend credibility to his argument) and other times are twisted and distorted to suit his point. However, the points themselves don't really do anything or go anywhere. He isn't trying to open your eyes or make a point with anything. The only reason he's spouting this garbage is to make you think that you disagree with his argument when really you aren't listening because you're still pissed off because he dared to question your ability to read.

It's a mindgame, really. He's trying to trick you into disagreeing with a cold hard fact in the hopes that he'll make you look like a *******. When all the while he's starting every post with like a thousand insults. He even insults people who aren't a part of this thread in the hopes of pissing them off.

So he makes some undeniable points. Yeah, Brawl is out. Yeah, it's not gonna get patched. Well no **** sherlock. Any ******* could've told you that.

"To see victory when it is in the sight of the common herd is no sign of excellence. To lift an autumn hair is no sign of great strength."~Sun Tzu, Art of War

Your "great point" is a revelation to no one. Your "display of intelligence" shows average intelligence at best. (You can point out the obvious. Good for you.) And yet despite this you continue to belittle other posters, spouting off insults and calling names... names that you don't even know the true meaning to... and acting all high and mightly like you're the king of the freaking forum.

RWB

Smash Ace
Chess doesn't even try to be balanced. Have you seen the tier list? Queen is at the top, yet great characters like the rook are low tier. And the king is bottom tier?! What's up with that?
Not true!

The Rook is high tier, the Bishops are mid, the Knights are low tier, pawns are bottom.

the King is mid.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
SFII is also viable. Srsly tho, Go is the correct answer. At least our best players don't get owned by Deep Blue, lololol. Chess players can't even beat a lvl 9 CPU. It powershields every approach, ever.
Finally! Someone else who agrees with me! :)

Heck, finally! Someone else who even knows what Go is! ^_^

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
Wanna know why its very possible I'm plenty more smarter elsewhere? I've never put any actual effort into 99% of my posts here, if any. Theres your hint.

The only smart non troll posters I've seen here are Mookierah, AlphaZealot and JackKieser. Phanna too arguably, but it doesn't even seem like he wants to post here much, and I can't blame him.

I'm not particularly a part of smashboards per say. This is a smashboards account and I am technically a member, but not practically. So don't count me as part of the garbage 3/4... Its more like 99% but since you think a hypocritical loser like yourself is all that and a bag of chips, maybe its reduced to a smaller fraction of 3/4 in your twisted imagination.

If you're going to be self indulgent and insulting of someone elses intelligence with minimal proof, I'm allowed to be every bit as unreasonable in the exact same ways and for loosely similar reasons - in that I hate most of smashboards and think you're full of yourself in the same way you do with me, as you've proven it by proclaiming you're smarter than someone, which is a blatant, arrogant and baseless insult. Or else... you're a hypocrit. Capiche? (Its actually too late even if you say 'Yes, I understand.' as you've did it already, but I bet you won't even understand a word of this anyway.)
not to take sides but what if he's in the 99% IQ score? maybe he's playing the odds. anyways the only people who are insulted by other people proclaiming their intelligence are those who aren't intelligent enough to be secure in their own intelligence.
that and all your posts in this thread have been spam (or offtopic posts) or trolls, your not doing any better than he is... not to mention your post count in under 2 months, u clearly spend allot more time here than you claim...

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
That's not even the point of this.

It's not just about talking about Brawl if you don't like it. It's about talking about or against Brawl using Melee as a key part of the argument. Comparisons to Melee are ANNOYING if they keep taking place in the Brawl boards. We're in the Brawl boards to talk about Brawl mostly, not Melee. If you want to talk about Melee, you go to the Melee boards. That's it.
Guess what: when you're trying to judge how good a game is (often how competitively viable it is), then comparing it to the prequel is your best option. The basics are the same.

What else would you compare Brawl to if not Melee?

Edit: I find this funny in a topic where a lot of the posts are about Chess. >_>

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Post Count +1!

What, isn't that what this thread is?
phanna you are my hero but do we really need to keep fueling this "debate"
This is why this thread should die down. Constant bickering about Brawl's gameplay in comparison to Melee's. It's a hot topic, a perfect opportunity to increase your post count (which matters very little)
If Brawl isn't fun for them don't play it. I don't get what is so god ****ed hard about understanding this simple fact... Take the game as it is or don't take it at all.
Again, the constant bickering needs to stop. I am willing to listen to intelligant discussion about Brawl's comparison to Melee, but there is way too much complaining.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Now... see this here? This is a troll.

He starts off by mocking and flaming. Inflamitory remarks lead to flame wars, and the troll's true purpose is to start a flame war and get a kick out of it.

The rest of it is just gibberish. The troll is spouting off a bunch of "facts" that are sometimes perfectly factual (to lend credibility to his argument) and other times are twisted and distorted to suit his point. However, the points themselves don't really do anything or go anywhere. He isn't trying to open your eyes or make a point with anything. The only reason he's spouting this garbage is to make you think that you disagree with his argument when really you aren't listening because you're still pissed off because he dared to question your ability to read.

It's a mindgame, really. He's trying to trick you into disagreeing with a cold hard fact in the hopes that he'll make you look like a *******. When all the while he's starting every post with like a thousand insults. He even insults people who aren't a part of this thread in the hopes of pissing them off.

So he makes some undeniable points. Yeah, Brawl is out. Yeah, it's not gonna get patched. Well no **** sherlock. Any ******* could've told you that.

"To see victory when it is in the sight of the common herd is no sign of excellence. To lift an autumn hair is no sign of great strength."~Sun Tzu, Art of War

Your "great point" is a revelation to no one. Your "display of intelligence" shows average intelligence at best. (You can point out the obvious. Good for you.) And yet despite this you continue to belittle other posters, spouting off insults and calling names... names that you don't even know the true meaning to... and acting all high and mightly like you're the king of the freaking forum.
I don't even care about the board, so don't even think I'm trying to put any focus into my posts. I've actually cared about... One or two in response to Cactuar, if you're addressing me.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Camping is to good in chess.

Queen always spams SHL and rook spam grenades.

Unless you play chess differently then I do...

Top Bottom