• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanna Chain Grab the unchainable?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I've been trying to gather as many ways as possible to chain grab charterers that the normals chain grab does not work on. So far, I have found only two guarantees, and one on characters lacking tech skill.

First off, the most obvious is the moving platform on Smashville. I'm assuming this one is already pretty well known, as I've seen Co do it many of times. Properly timed and spaced, you can get a standing grab on the platform on any character. The platform must be moving however, making this great stage that much better for us.

The second one only guarantees two grabs. If properly spaced, as seen in the link provided below on a zelda, you can down throw the opponent just far enough off stage to where the do not grab the edge, but are still in range for a grab. As you can see, the Zelda is still in hitstun as the (rather poor) Dededee grabs her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlhMXDihn3s

The third I have mentioned before, but in case anyone has missed it. Properly spaced, if you down throw an opponent who can't be chain garbed against a wall, and immediately do two jabs, the first jab will miss, the second jab will hit the opponent slightly into the air, jab cancel into a grab, and repeat. Unfortunately, because the opponent hits the wall, they can easily tech off the wall away from you, but if this catches an opponent off guard, or if he is unable to tech, you have a chain grab that last until 170 on Metaknight. Not increadibly useful, but if pulled off, it could win you a stock.

Does anyone else know any tricks to get multiple grabs on opponents?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Chain the unchainable, grab the ungrabbable.
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH.

But srsly, these are interesting finds. The third one in particular looks interesting.

rofljont

Smash Apprentice
the second one doesnt work, i think that happened because when the stage transforms some parts of it are slightly higher, on surfaces with uneven hights wierd things happen with d3s chaingrab

i know im right, if u dont think so try to pull it off consistently

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Then it would still be useful for Yoshi's island, Lylat Cruise, and other stages with similar edges.
And isn't an edge an edge? Weather by a slope or by a cut off?
I've pulled it off before.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
if you down throw an opponent who can't be chain garbed against a wall, and immediately do two jabs, the first jab will miss, the second jab will hit the opponent slightly into the air, jab cancel into a grab, and repeat. Unfortunately, because the opponent hits the wall, they can easily tech off the wall away from you, but if this catches an opponent off guard, or if he is unable to tech, you have a chain grab that last until 170 on Metaknight. Not increadibly useful, but if pulled off, it could win you a stock.
But if this type of chain grab needs a wall and if there are frames where the opponent is able to tech when they hit the wall at any time then it might not work.

The 2 grabs you mentioned earlier might work on slanted edges of a stage. Ironically enough Yoshi's is one of the better stages for non-chain grabbables. Getting the most out of the stage would be a grand idea. Definitely something to look into.

Someone should definitely test it on Lylat and Yoshi's--- due to the nature of the transformations on PS1 it wouldnt really be reliable there.

Coney

Smash Master
Sometimes you can catch a light character by surprise too, and they'll DI up and land on their feet or something, letting you chain them. A lot of people don't realize they're doing this and can be chained once or twice before they get the hint.

I know it's not much but hey!

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Sometimes you can catch a light character by surprise too, and they'll DI up and land on their feet or something, letting you chain them. A lot of people don't realize they're doing this and can be chained once or twice before they get the hint.

I know it's not much but hey!
Come to think about it, a lot of things mentioned about Brawl in forums "aren't much" if you think about it lol. . .

Good stuff crashic, there's not much else.

Swizchese

Smash Rookie
Great stuff. I never actually knew these could happen... I gotta try these sometime.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I've been trying to gather as many ways as possible to chain grab charterers that the normals chain grab does not work on. So far, I have found only two guarantees, and one on characters lacking tech skill.

First off, the most obvious is the moving platform on Smashville. I'm assuming this one is already pretty well known, as I've seen Co do it many of times. Properly timed and spaced, you can get a standing grab on the platform on any character. The platform must be moving however, making this great stage that much better for us.

The second one only guarantees two grabs. If properly spaced, as seen in the link provided below on a zelda, you can down throw the opponent just far enough off stage to where the do not grab the edge, but are still in range for a grab. As you can see, the Zelda is still in hitstun as the (rather poor) Dededee grabs her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlhMXDihn3s

The third I have mentioned before, but in case anyone has missed it. Properly spaced, if you down throw an opponent who can't be chain garbed against a wall, and immediately do two jabs, the first jab will miss, the second jab will hit the opponent slightly into the air, jab cancel into a grab, and repeat. Unfortunately, because the opponent hits the wall, they can easily tech off the wall away from you, but if this catches an opponent off guard, or if he is unable to tech, you have a chain grab that last until 170 on Metaknight. Not increadibly useful, but if pulled off, it could win you a stock.

Does anyone else know any tricks to get multiple grabs on opponents?
That confused me so bad.

Top Bottom