• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WAD's: What Do You Want in Your System Menu? (Disclaimer)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
:mad::mad:Disclaimer::mad::mad: Any posts of any topic relating to WAD's that promote the pirating, ripping, or loading of pirated software or any software that is illegal will be removed and too too many posts of that nature will get this thread locked and all posts of that nature edited.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:Second Disclaimer::mad::mad::mad::mad: Any posts involving or aiding people to make their own WAD's through programs that are not strictly exclusive to 1 WAD and therefore could be used for illegal activities should not be posted here.

Basics:

What is a WAD?

A WAD is essentially a program that allows you to install channels on your Wii. WAD's have an unfortunate reputation for aiding illegal activity and in this thread we will try to avoid that at all costs, discussing only ways to make Homebrew applications easier to access and the like.

How do I install WAD's?

The best way is to use the following Wii Wad Manager to install the Wii Wad Manager 1.4 Channel onto your Wii. To do so, put the Wii Wad Manager .dol in the "apps" folder and create a folder called "wad". Put the Wii wad manager 1.4 wad file into that folder and then install the channel but pressing "+" on the Wii-mote on its name after it asks verification questions. Say yes and install the WAD manager. Now, you can delete the app and put any WAD's you want installed into the "wad" file and then install them through the channel.

Here is the way to install, copy the stuff in apps to the apps folder and copy the stuff in WAD to WAD and run it.

What are some useful WAD's?

Certain WAD's are very useful and allow you to install things like Dragon Media Player (has a slight glitch, crashes safely upon exit) and GeckOS, allowing you to play mp3's or load codes directly from a channel. Here are links to some useful WAD's:

GeckOS 1.9
GeckOS 1.07
Dragon Media Player
Homebrew Browser

Please post useful WAD's you have found and remember, stay LEGAL.

*GeckOS link updated, sorry.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
WADs, even though they hold legal homebrew, have to be installed through illegal means (I'd list an example but I don't want to get an infraction)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
They do?? I am just trying to make sure all the applications are legal, I believed that WAD's were illegal unless they intentionally tried to stay legal like Homebrew. And I don't think GeckOS is illegal...

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
This looks cool. OK, I'll tell you guys a secret: I have a WAD that lets me get illegal things for cheap! If you guys are in the hood and kno wut i am talking about, speak up!

HAHA, just kidding. I like the Gecko WAD, and I am trying it out this weekend. It looks cool!!!

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I don't really need WADs anymore thanks to preloader. In fact, I banner bricked my Wii so you have to use preloader to turn it on (and so people can't figure out how to play my Wii).
EDIT: Same-time post.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Actually, the Homebrew Browser WAD seems to be bad. Whenever I try to load it up, an error occurs and my Wii freezes.

I'll try and find a working HB WAD for you to put in the OP.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
They do?? I am just trying to make sure all the applications are legal, I believed that WAD's were illegal unless they intentionally tried to stay legal like Homebrew. And I don't think GeckOS is illegal...
I meant like the homebrew itself isn't illegal, but the ways to install (IOS16/IOS35 etc) are, because those same IOS's could be used for piracy.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Warned sir, do not talk about anything involving anything that could aid to pirating. READ MY WARNING. Edit your post please.

I did not report you but I will if you don't edit it.
Just an fyi, you're going nazi over a post that has nothing to do with pirating. If you had bothered to look up what gc boot is, you'd know it was harmless.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=31137

GCBooter available for Wii - boot original GC games from Wii mode

Emu_Kidid has released GC Booter for the Wii which allows anyone to boot their original GC games from Wii mode. Moreover it is region free and works from the homebrew channel and is obviously far easier to use than having to patch your system menu for region free. More at Wiibrew.org.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Wait, so how does gc boot work now? If I have a gamecube game in (say Melee) it automatically starts the game up, no Wii menus or anything? I'm gonna go look into this.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Also, I could remember wrong, but I'm pretty sure some of the IOS's used for WAD installation are ripped from the Wii, and are copyrighted by Nintendo, meaning it's illegal to distribute them. Not sure if that'll affect the legality of this issue. Just throwing that out there.

zxeon

Smash Lord
I meant like the homebrew itself isn't illegal, but the ways to install (IOS16/IOS35 etc) are, because those same IOS's could be used for piracy.
There is noting illegal about IOS 16 or 35 lol. The way some people acquire them is. If you own the games that have those IOSes in them there is nothing wrong with ripping them yourself since you own the disc. There is nothing illegal about IOSes.

Besides you need to modify the IOSes to make them use of them for Loading your legal backups (rips of games you own from your own disc). it's only "piracy" if you obtain games you don't own, and even then it seems laughable to compare people who get stuff of the internet for free to those Somalian guys.

I never updated my Wii so I'm free to install WADs.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
SuperSonicRacin said:
Just like scissors are illegal because they could be used to hurt people, right?

People need to chill out about things being "illegal." There are no laws that say "installing WAD's on your Nintendo Wii is unlawful." Usually, the company in question with things like this (Nintendo in this case) just has to try to find some existing copyright law to fit the situation, and whether or not that actually applies is decided in court.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for the links. They look handy and I'll be checking them out later today.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
The issue, is I would post things that could help you with backups but it is against SWF rules so anything that could help piracy will not be allowed here. If it allows loading of ISO's, this is not the place. Oh and you can post to Wiibrew, just be careful.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Normally, GC booter means GC Loader which is aiding pirating. Not sure exactly how this works sorry. If its a backup loader it shouldnt be discussed.
"I'm going to warn you because I think this and have no idea what it really does. But it sounds bad so something must be wrong with it!"

GCLoader by itself cannot load pirated games. It is similar to Gecko OS, it can only load questionable stuff if you have installed questionable things (chips for example). In fact, GCLoader is merged into Gecko OS for a while now IIRC. Guess you need to take that down too.

Homebrew Browser? You can download emulators with that. That promotes piracy, because we all know legal back-ups don exits.

A media player? So I can play that movie I got off a torrent illegally? Piracy. Link removed.

Seriously, this thread is flawed and doomed in its current state. I don't even know why you can make so many threads/have the free time to do so. You're bound to run out of ideas lol. Stuff relating to textures was fine, but you can go to other places for this, since this doesn't really even relate to Smash directly. Last I checked, this was SWF, not GBAt.

PS: Wiibrew does not have articles on any apps directly requiring illegal means or clearly supporting such and only that.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
When I run the installer, it gives me error 2011 (I think that's what it was) and doesn't install the WAD.

I assume I'm missing files that aren't provided for me, but I don't don't know.

Any idea on how I can fix it?
If it is files, just give me the name and I'll go on a quest to find them myself obviously.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
You know what I mean, a backup loader directly aids piracy because it allows you to play easily created games. A media player is much more different, you obviously know the difference or else its fairly embatrassing.

I_Am_Plum, do you have Wii 4.0?? If so, you need to downgrade IOS35 likely.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You know what I mean, a backup loader directly aids piracy because it allows you to play easily created games. A media player is much more different, you obviously know the difference or else its fairly embatrassing.

*must resist urge to strawman*

As long as you get the point of my post, then that's good enough. If you're going to brush it off by talking about "what a media player is," then that's not.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Considering your sig shows how ethical you are, I seriously laugh at you giving advice.
Yeah, I like where this thread is going. Of course you know nothing about what character is in my signature and you don't have enough free time to find out so yeah, okay.

This is your thread, so feel free to do whatever you want. But you already presented a thread in order to help people get useful WADs. A questionable topic on SWF.

If you're going to do something I and several other posters have already said is 'questionable,' you might as well do it right and not be so quick to lash out even though you're wrong about something. Not accepting mistakes is terribly childish.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I want a wad that brings me to a Wii menu that allows the Cube controller to be used instead of the Wii remote.

The classic controller can be used to move the cursor on the Wii menu...why not the Cube controller? I mean, there has to be a way to trick it or something. I'm sick of having to use this stupid dildo to point and click EVERY TIME I want to play Brawl.

tl;dr, I hate the Wiimote.

And Asakura-ism is too good :) :) :)

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
illinialex24 do you think you could repost link to gecko 1.07 wad ? thanks

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I want a wad that brings me to a Wii menu that allows the Cube controller to be used instead of the Wii remote.

The classic controller can be used to move the cursor on the Wii menu...why not the Cube controller? I mean, there has to be a way to trick it or something. I'm sick of having to use this stupid dildo to point and click EVERY TIME I want to play Brawl.

tl;dr, I hate the Wiimote.

And Asakura-ism is too good :) :) :)
There is currently nothing to achieve this. Wii has to detect a bluetooth signal, which GCN does not have. I'm pretty sure Wii menu doesn't even acknowledge the GCN ports on the Wii.

I think Marcan had a video on how to mod your GCN to be a Classic Controller though.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RE_s_X0Cac

Anth0ny

Smash Master
There is currently nothing to achieve this. Wii has to detect a bluetooth signal, which GCN does not have. I'm pretty sure Wii menu doesn't even acknowledge the GCN ports on the Wii.

I think Marcan had a video on how to mod your GCN to be a Classic Controller though.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RE_s_X0Cac
Ah, that video makes things a lot easier :laugh:

Damn you Nintendo. Gamecube controller ***** you.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
They are trying to make a channel to remake the system menu however, and that could likely be Gamecube compatible. I think if you get a preloader you could go directly to it (haven't read up on preloaders, not sure).

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium

I had 3.4, it was an IOS problem. I went and did myself one better and finally got around to downgrading to 3.2, and everything is working fine now.

This is great, I love having a Gecko channel.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
This thread has so much BS.

I bet 90% of the channels you have posted ARE illegal.

Are they channels that use VC banners with textures injected into them? ILLEGAL
Are they channels that use Nintendo's NAND apploader? ILLEGAL

If you don't know the answer to either of those things, the answer is yes.

Bladewing

Smash Apprentice
I'm not following the instructions to well. Do i put the wad folder with the wadmanager1.4.wad file in the root of the sd card? Do i put the boot.dol in the apps folder? I did all this and it's not working for me for some reason.

Edit: Wait a second, I got it. But now it's telling me i got an error.

"Retrieving device contents, please wait... Error! (ret = -1)"

The app works, but i'm getting this message.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Why not the ability to use the GC controller in port 1 to navigate the entire Wii menu?
This will save a lot of battery power.

Top Bottom