• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Pete278

Smash Lord
I plan to play both Xenoblade and Deus Ex, so I'll get back to you in about a year :p

Unless you're referring to the first Deus Ex. Kinda seems unplayable now and wouldn't be as good as it was when first released.
If you can't play an Unreal Engine 1 game now you really need to question what you're doing with your life.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I have always heard good things about deus ex but know nothing about it, but I finally got my hands on it and will be playing it tonight

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
no I found an old cdrom

also dude for ****s sake...

sigh...

ok its pretty simple, graphics dont make the game.
that simple.

like as long as you can tell what your looking at, and whats being represented on screen, then graphics shouldnt be factored in at all.
so basically anything post 8-bit era really.

like cmon... even if you DO factor graphics in, they should be a tiny bonus thing on the side, not the main factor.
'I dont like that game because of the graphics' - this is stupid
"that game is sick but they graphics could use a little work" - acceptable.

like cmon, when did everyone get so dumb, when did this because a thing, **** graphics man, who gives a ****, if you want something nice to look at, go to an art exhibition.

****!

Vlade

Social Outcast
no I found an old cdrom

sigh...

that simple.

like as long as you can tell what your looking at, and whats being represented on screen, then graphics shouldnt be factored in at all.

like cmon... even if you DO factor graphics in, they should be a tiny bonus thing on the side, not the main factor.

like cmon, when did everyone get so dumb, when did this because a thing, **** graphics man, who gives a ****, if you want something nice to look at, go to an art exhibition.

****!

x100

Richard7

Smash Ace
no I found an old cdrom

sigh...

that simple.

****!
I'm with you on this for the most part. I'm not saying "I dont like that game because of the graphics". Its just that people's graphics standards keep going higher and then when you go and play an old game its hard to enjoy it as much.

You simply can't enjoy a game as much when you play for the first time 10 years after it was released, mainly due to graphics standards changing imo.

One of the best examples I can think of off of the top of my head is Uncharted. Uncharted would lose a lot of its epicness if it was in Wii graphics. (assuming it could even do the physics and destructible environments, which I doubt lol, but lets just say it could, but in worse graphics)

In the end really, its each to their own.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
IYou simply can't enjoy a game as much when you play for the first time 10 years after it was released, mainly due to graphics standards changing imo.
total horse****

YOU cant because you cant look past graphics for some reason.

I personally much prefer good old games that have stood the test of time over new overhyped games, thats just me of course, but really dude, come on...

lets pull a random example out of the air

if I played final fantasy 13, and actually finished it, and then straight after I played 7, for the first time in my life, and played it through to the end too, how ******** would I have to be to prefer 13 over 7?

yeah, cloud looks like he has lego bricks for arms, so the **** what, does it change anything?

and how about that game in your sig, ghost trick, I've seen better graphics on ps2, does that mean all ps2 games are way better then ghost trick?

Alzi

Smash Master
no I found an old cdrom

sigh...

that simple.

****!

Richard7

Smash Ace
if I played final fantasy 13, and actually finished it, and then straight after I played 7, for the first time in my life, and played it through to the end too, how ******** would I have to be to prefer 13 over 7?
(using your example) I wasn't saying that you would prefer 13 over 7 simply because 13 has better graphics. I was trying to say you probably would of enjoyed 7 more if you played it 1997 because you weren't yet exposed to bettter graphics. That's how I feel anyway, you may not though.

"and how about that game in your sig, ghost trick, I've seen better graphics on ps2, does that mean all ps2 games are way better then ghost trick?"

You're putting words in my mouth. What you're saying I'm saying, is that graphics is the most important thing when it comes to games, which is not what I'm saying at all. Every game on PS2 basically has better graphics than Ghost Trick, but if they don't have better stories / gameplay / music, then they're not going to be better than Ghost Trick regardless of how good their graphics are.

Also, I feel certain graphical styles basically don't age that badly. Lufia 2 graphics is still fine to me now.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Hate to say it.
I'm with Luke.
Ric you always mention graphics constantly, I'm pretty sure every game critique you make is about graphics.

Really all you say about Skyward Sword is the graphics are bad :p
So yeah, thats my 34 cents

Richard7

Smash Ace
Hate to say it.
I'm with Luke.
Ric you always mention graphics constantly, I'm pretty sure every game critique you make is about graphics.

Really all you say about Skyward Sword is the graphics are bad :p
So yeah, thats my 34 cents
"Really all you say about Skyward Sword is the graphics are bad"

That's cus I haven't played it yet.

Everything I've been saying on this subject has purely been opinions, so don't hate on my opinions and I won't hate on yours :p

I really feel some games just have fail graphics, mainly due to the style they use. Certain graphical styles just look bad when the console isn't powerful enough / doesn't have a high enough resolution. Skyward Sword is one of those games. (IMO)

Best example I can think of are DS games that are polygonal. The DS simply isn't powerful enough so a lot of games just look like rubbish. (OPINON OK GUYS) Ghost Trick's graphical style looks quite nice, but it suffers slightly from the DS's low resolution.

This is where graphics standards come into play. FF7 and FF8 look pretty bad, but when they came out they were stunning.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Everything I've been saying on this subject has purely been opinions, so don't hate on my opinions and I won't hate on yours :p
well my opinions are that your opinions are ****ing ****, so dont hate on my opinons.

You can say graphics are bad, thats fine, nobody is disagreeing with that, we're saying that a games graphics are completely irrelevant to the quality of the game, and should not be factored in or even mentioned when discussing how good a game is.

and if you do, everyone will think you're dumb, you know what monique would say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hirt3N1gwt8#t=10s

Richard7

Smash Ace
well my opinions are that your opinions are ****ing ****, so dont hate on my opinons.

You can say graphics are bad, thats fine, nobody is disagreeing with that, we're saying that a games graphics are completely irrelevant to the quality of the game, and should not be factored in or even mentioned when discussing how good a game is.

and if you do, everyone will think you're dumb, you know what monique would say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hirt3N1gwt8#t=10s
I strongly believe that graphics can be a part of the quality of the game. The best example would of been as I said, Uncharted 3 in Wii graphics.

Since that's not possible to see, the next best thing is like.... MW3 on the Wii. Play the campaign on the 360, then go play it on the Wii with the classic controller and try tell me that you felt the experience was exactly the same on both...

MTGod

Smash Champion
You're both taking the extremes of the argument. I want to agree with you Luke but you're coming across as if graphics are completely irrelevant to the quality of the game. Graphics play a part in a game's overall quality. Games released in this era have to have graphical appeal (not necessarily "good" graphics, but at least a good graphical style to add to the ambience of the game) as much as they have to have a decent soundtrack, good gameplay and a good reason to play the game, whether that be a good plot, good multiplayer, or otherwise. A game is the complete package, and if a developer neglects any part of that package it will get noticed by reviewers, which is the main medium of advertising games in Western culture.

Alzi

Smash Master
This can easily be settled by the words of the great Alzi.

Richard just has higher standards for graphics in a game then what we do. For instance one time he told me the water in skyward sword looked bad. Now for most of us I'm assuming you do not care or have even thought of the look of the water in the game because you find it good enough already which is how I feel as well. But for Richard he doesn't like it along with skyward swords graphics. But that is ok since it's just his opinion.

Not just Richard btw that thinks skyward sword graphics are bad read some other peoples opinions on it but yeah as I said they are good enough for something the wii could do. Read some places were people said the wii could of done a bit more but to be honest who really cares it got the job done not like it was going to pull out resolutions like the ps3 or 360 can but SOON. The wii u will come out and then I bet people will not complain about graphics until the next Sony or Microsoft console is out.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
**Crawls out of dark cave**

My turn!

Graphics matter, there is no doubt about it. Are they the defining feature of the game that determines whether the game is excellent or a waste of time? No, they aren't, but they certainly make a difference to the overall experience. The impact the graphics can make on the experience will vary depending on genre and the focus of the game. A game like Pacman wouldn't necessarily benefit from a graphical overhaul because its the simplistic graphical style that is part the games charm. However, a game involving large scale world exploration/adventure depends (at least partly) on the visuals to make the gamer really feel a part of the game world.

Xenoblade for instance has a lot of exploration and while playing through the game I found myself saying "If only this game was on a more powerful console". Did the poor graphics detract from the experience? Well, yes they did...to a point. I still regard Xenoblade as one of the best games I've ever played despite its visuals. This is because of the core element of a game is not its graphics. However your are delusional if you say that better graphics would have ZERO impact to the experience whatsoever.

Skyward Sword. This games graphics suck and is unforgivable. The argument of "This is the best the Wii can do" is false and completely invalid. MW3 Wii looks far superior to this game and thats a port of a game engine that obviously wasnt even designed for Wii. Twilight Princess looks better and thats on the Gamecube. SS is a first party game developed by Nintendo and this was the best they could do? The poor effort shows that Nintendo just dont know what they are doing (graphically) and it absolutely astounds me that they allowed very clear artefact's to remain in the finished product. Again, this doesnt mean make the game 'bad'. It just could have been better and I dont know why it wasn't.

TL;DR
Games aren't about the gfx, but gfx will affect the experience to some degree. SS gfx suck and theres no good reason why they should be this bad.

@Pete
Lighting falls under graphics. Anything under the visuals department falls under graphics (except maybe frames per second), its not limited to # of Polygons.

**Quickly scurries back to dark cave**

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
in all seriousness, if graphics is what really does it for you ric then by all means (you should go watch a movie instead imo)

anyways yeah, you can factor in graphics to how good a game is if you like, because sure they do make a small difference, but as long as you dont get carried away and give them too much spotlight, then its fine.

if you really wanna review games the way you do ric thats fine, just keep in mind that you will be missing out on some of the best games ever made.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol

yeah, I mean dont get me wrong ric, when I started playing deus ex last week, I was like 'lol these graphics are ****ing hilarious'
its that that I think they arnt bad

but within 5 minutes I was oblivious to the graphics because I was too busy playing the game to care.

Alzi

Smash Master
I have the best opinions though luke you have to agree on this one. Because my opinions are always facts. Which doesn't even make them opinions actually now that I think about it.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
so like, I met ian right and he was pretty cool, so I've decided that ian is now the new frontman poster boy man for perth, to help improve your reputation.

Top Bottom