• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What if it's in the middle of a match Mic, where data is being accessed from the SD card directly??? People do silly things in the heat of the moment, and may eject it during this which should have some negative effect on the SD card :S
I'd be more concerned why the hell someone's touching the console in the middle of a match. Oops, hit reset/power/made it fall over, my bad.

Trillest

Smash Ace
the thing you guys are missing is that at ei3 there should be a lot of new players competing who do not know about sd card hacks/loading of hdd's and some people rather that ask for help will try themselves to fix it/get it started. This will lead to problems Jesse hasn't said anything about our regular tourney but you need too make concessions at a national for the amount of random people that will be at the venue

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Come on we aren't children here I think it's wiser to treat people like adults_ There are plenty of people on hand to be making sure that things are running as intended_ Also the fact is if Brawl is running, why the hell is someone having to restart it_ With clear and concise rules I think we would easily avoid this_ My HDD hasn't frozen yet_

EDIT: If you are so concerned then have rules printed out eside each setup stating clearly what rules to take_ It would only be 2 A4 sheets_ One with stage lists and one with match rules and conduct_ Realistically I feel you are over exagerating the risks_

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
we've been using texture and music hacks for a long time now in tourneys, even taking out sd cards midmatch and stuff and there has never been even a single problem

Pete278

Smash Lord
Come on we aren't children here I think it's wiser to treat people like adults_ There are plenty of people on hand to be making sure that things are running as intended_ Also the fact is if Brawl is running, why the hell is someone having to restart it_ With clear and concise rules I think we would easily avoid this_ My HDD hasn't frozen yet_

EDIT: If you are so concerned then have rules printed out eside each setup stating clearly what rules to take_ It would only be 2 A4 sheets_ One with stage lists and one with match rules and conduct_ Realistically I feel you are over exagerating the risks_
Or you could just burn a disc and/or not bring your Wii to the event. If we can't get enough setups without using HDD, I think the scene is drastically in need of not being lazy ****s.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
I still fail to see the issues with using HDD_ It's basically creating more time and effort to create a situation that is already fine as it currently stands_ So basically i am getting the opinion that although nothing is actually wrong or problematic with loading the game via HDD, that we are still enforcing people to use a copied or bought DISC version of the game_ It's not being lazy, it's being smart_ If nothing is wrong with using HDD then why stop it_ It's a stupid rule imo_ Same goes for disallowing SD cards being in slot_ If there are no textures or hacks being used then why are SD cards disallowed from even being in the Wii_?

Completely pointless argument considering there are no facts to prove that using a HDD or removing an SD card during a match (which is still a completely null comment considering the fact it would not be allowed or possibly DQ'ed) is as unstable as using a disc_ You may as well also state that no 'hacked' wii's should be used during tournaments incase it becomes 'unstable' because that's how utterly ridiculous this argument has become_

I think the laziness Pete is on those enforcing a rule that is not necessary_

Alzi

Smash Master
Text ins't ment to attract the eyes first.

If it is it has to be good looking text.

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS? Are you guys like fooling on me since i am seriously mad. :mad:

I even said that my poster was a draft design. The words eastern invasion 3 on my poster is going to change and be more effective but no you guys have ANGERED ME TO THE EXTREME.

So what i am going to do now is start all over again. Scrap that whole poster i did before over.

I AM GOING TO MAKE A EASTERN INVASION 3 POSTER thread in fortes family area. And i will do about 10 Poster designs just for it YES 10.

And my final design you know what it will involve? CUSTOM DRAWN CHARACTERS. Yes i will draw those piece of ****s onto paper with my penicl then i will scan that mother ****er in right. Once i have done that i will :mad: Open up Illustrator and colour them in like a ****ing professional. Once i have done that i will add each character onto the poster and design it so ****ing well it blows everyones mind. EVERYONES. YES EVERYONES. :mad:

That super behind the street fighter logo is not very well he Should of ACTUALLy :mad: No i will show you guys what he should of done right now. I should be doing my photography front cover page but no i will show you guys right now get it done and show you my version.

:mad: Keep an eye out for eastern invasion 3 poster design Thread you will see each step i took to create my final master piece and i will 100% guarentee PEOPLE OVER EAST will be wanting me to make smash posters.

Is that his only work he has? It looks terrible to be honest. TERRIBLE. Bob once i am done with all this i wil make you a new banner because i am going to step up my game and stop sand bagging in graphics.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm not 100% mad though i am 90% mad because some random chick added me on facebook. ;)

Edit: Looks like that super street fighter logo is the original logo for the game? :S Lol they should of put the super above the word street in the same sorta style imo.

No one wants alot of text on their poster designs most people won't even read that poster to be honest.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Edit: Looks like that super street fighter logo is the original logo for the game? :S Lol they should of put the super above the word street in the same sorta style imo.

No one wants alot of text on their poster designs most people won't even read that poster to be honest.

[/size]

Im glad its behind, it keeps the tradtition.

As for text, if you are intrigued in something Id be more then happy to read the flyer, hell I could of read it 10 times over by the time it took me to read your post.

we've been using texture and music hacks for a long time now in tourneys, even taking out sd cards midmatch and stuff and there has never been even a single problem
Thank you Luke =D

Or you could just burn a disc and/or not bring your Wii to the event. If we can't get enough setups without using HDD, I think the scene is drastically in need of not being lazy ****s.
Pete, I physically cant burn mine to a disk unless single layer which I believe Mic is doing.

And how is having HDD's being lazy ****s? I mean it prevents the original disk from being damaged for starters, and lets look at run speeds

Burnts disks are slowest
Retails disks are retail disk speed
HDD loads faster then retail disk.

In reality HDD's do save time, I really must ask why HDD's are an issue. Ill agree to the file replacements but if a HDD has a factory direct version of Brawl ripped to it like mine and Bob's does, where exactly is there difference.
Oh and heres my hint, good luck getting 15 copies of brawl without the HDD or codes. We have about 15-20 people in the scene and
Martehs - USB
Bobs - USB
Andres - Cant Bring
Sams/Rics - Hacks, dont know if theyll take them off or if theyre actually burnt on the disk.

Pete278

Smash Lord
The fact that anything that could interfere with the game in a subtle, hidden way could be on either a HDD or an SD card is reason enough to not allow them. I'm not saying people would purposefully tamper with the game to hinder the tournament, but anyone could put something on and forget it was on.

Also, enforcing a rule that's unnecessary would be pedantic, not lazy. :p

EDIT: No, Marty, I mean we'd be lazy because there's more than enough setups of just regular disc. 15 setups would be overkill for the amount of people where'd probably be getting, and Trav alone is bringing 8 TVs for EI3.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'd say 15 setups - it's important to try and have a good number to make the running of pools more efficient, plus people who are knocked out will want to play friendlies while the tournament is in progress.

Setups don't really need to be sorted out right now though :p

Alzi

Smash Master
Didn't you guys say you have to be forced into your seats...

But the venue fee for it is amazing meaning we can get a huge pot. ;)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hdd is fine, when compared to brawl discs, its has no downsides, only upsides.

also dont rely on burning brawl to a single layer disc, I did that when the game first came out and ended up with a copy of brawl that didnt have any single player modes whatsoever, or wifi, only multiplayer.
further more using mario or squirtles water gun move instantly froze the wii.

dont be noob pete.

MTGod

Smash Champion
I'd be more concerned why the hell someone's touching the console in the middle of a match. Oops, hit reset/power/made it fall over, my bad.
Sarcasm well and truly noted :p I do remember when me and Trill were having a tournament match on Norfair with the invisible lava, we yelled out to someone how to get the texture off and they replied "remove the SD card"... If I wasn't as paranoid as I am, I would have removed it then and there given the instruction, which is why I said mid match (not like, several minutes in :p that was my bad for using the wrong wording, sorry about that ^^)

If it doesn't corrupt the SD card, then that's my misconception from how other memory cards work... This being said, the main reason for me saying disc only is to keep everything the same between set-ups, which really is what you're looking at doing for a large scale competitive tournament (even the size of the TVs should be kept the same, but that is way too fiddly and everyone understands how hard that'd be with no external funding :p)... In the end, if it definitely doesn't have an effect on gameplay then I'm not too fussed what's on the Wii, but if you're using a HD to run it off and something goes wrong (like someone is a **** and turns the Wii off for some reason :S) you're gonna have to locate one of the few people who know how to operate the HD set-up to get it working again, which causes problems when you're trying to find one person in 100+ people... Plus, I'm trying to minimise possible breaking of hardware that is pricey, and I'm sure you can't blame me for that ^^

So those are the main reasons for me saying disc-only, no hacks:
- Keeping set-ups consistent
- Minimise chance for time-costing screw-ups (inc. people complaining because of "non-game affecting" hacks like menu changes)
- Minimising risk of damaging things
- Most, if not ALL, competitors will choose to not have texture/music hacks due to their possible distraction, and thus the only hack that remains even somewhat useful is infinite replays, which I've said would only be used for friendlies anyway

This all being said, at the end of the day we WILL have friendly stations, and we have 3 people in our scene with hacked Wiis, 2 of which are dead set on wanting to use their hacks... Simply use these hacked wiis for the friendly stations and all of these problems magically disappear :D

Also the fact is if Brawl is running, why the hell is someone having to restart it_
Someone could accidentally trip over a power cord, turn the wii off, think they need to restart it to *insert reason here*... Everyone has ******** moments, and I can't see this or any national event going without at least a few...

Hell, I could name several stupid things that the educated brawl community including myself have done that have caused issues...

If you are so concerned then have rules printed out eside each setup stating clearly what rules to take_ It would only be 2 A4 sheets_ One with stage lists and one with match rules and conduct_ Realistically I feel you are over exagerating the risks_
Look who's suddenly okay with printed out stage lists :D:D Jokes aside, if we do have match referees (that know what they're doing ofc :p) we shouldn't need printed out rulesets at each station, but I'd advise for a printed out stage list :p A ruleset or two should be in paper form to hang around with the main TO's (Admins?) to refer to, but otherwise most things will be consistent with how we've run tournaments in the past in terms of stage striking, glitches etc...

If nothing is wrong with using HDD then why stop it_ It's a stupid rule imo_ Same goes for disallowing SD cards being in slot
Whoa whoa, I never said anything about not having plain SD cards in the slot - I was referring purely to cards with hacks on them... Obviously people won't be deleting their hacks off their SD cards for this event, so my argument was to just not bring them at all in that case as they'd just be removed anyway, which increases the chance for them to get lost or damaged...

As for running games of the HDD, I was mainly concerned with what I've mentioned already in this post (time issues if something does go wrong, keeping consistency between set-ups, plus possible hacks on the HDD though not sure if that's possible lol etc.)... Again, we have a lot of set-ups here that don't use HDDs, so Simply use these hacked wiis for the friendly stations and all of these problems magically disappear :D

This argument was originally "allow hacks or not?"... On this, I vote no hacks...

In reality HDD's do save time, I really must ask why HDD's are an issue.
Wait, what??? You were the one who told me to not use external HDDs on the day of the meeting XD Check your sent text messages man :p

I'd say 15 setups - it's important to try and have a good number to make the running of pools more efficient, plus people who are knocked out will want to play friendlies while the tournament is in progress.
Agreed - 15 set-ups optimum, more would be great, but we need at least 10 set-ups if we're estimating anywhere above 80 people...

Whats important as of now is a venue before we discuss anything else.
Alzi I've already posted what was decided about venue for now =_=" Rec halls are looking best on paper ^^

Alzi

Smash Master
We should try that venue then ?

Just to see how things might go with it for a major?

Is it the cinema one?

Anyway i will be needing a doubles partner whenever the next tounrament is. Try make it before exams. lol.

Alzi

Smash Master
Nice to see someone picking up on t.v's. ;)

I saw one behind a fence but it was school time so i coudn't climb over and grab it. It was next to a house i'm guessing was going to get thrown away. If i do see any i can grab within my range i will though.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
hdd is fine, when compared to brawl discs, its has no downsides, only upsides.

also dont rely on burning brawl to a single layer disc, I did that when the game first came out and ended up with a copy of brawl that didnt have any single player modes whatsoever, or wifi, only multiplayer.
further more using mario or squirtles water gun move instantly froze the wii.

dont be noob pete.
That's only the Japanese version running at 60htz (for the watergun/fludd freeze). (I think. Forgot about that actually, gonna try and crash it again see what the conditions were again)

Singleplayer is technically all there, just that all the videos are on the second layer so when it tries to play a video from subspace/classic ending it crashes. But lets face it, for a tournament, who needs singleplayer?

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Japanese should never be used anyway there are gameplay differences :/ True story bro.

For E13 Im highly tempted just to format a 8gb flash drive and run that for Brawl, but Im cool with disks.

As for SD cards, has anyone heard of Ocarina, yeah it's a lovely device that lets you load codes, ever heard of disabling it?

Ill be able to supply probably 3-4 crts, so between me and trav we pretty much have enough TVs.

USB Brawl can't play single player either since all the video's are on the second layer of the disk and the USB can't load 2 layers, hence it freezes.

Alzi as for the Cinema. No, it has room for 4 set ups, even as we are now I doubt 4 set ups will get us done.

MTGod

Smash Champion
As for SD cards, has anyone heard of Ocarina, yeah it's a lovely device that lets you load codes, ever heard of disabling it?
No, and no - I actually have no knowledge of SD cards (never used one before, not even in a camera :p)

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Jesse i agree with printed out stage lists for a large scale tournament purely because of newcomers_ In a scenario with veteran and frequent sceners, then i think it is stupid that people still do not know the stages which are starters and CP and which are not_

I think everyone is fine about not using texture or music hacks and i do not think anybody was intending to use them during tournament play anyways_ HDD should not be an issue, those of us who do use them use USB Loader GX which is a self explanatory and easy to use program that cannot be messed with unless somebody is foolish enough to play with the settings, in which case i would question there intentions_ As stated previously, it has more pros than cons in comparison to discs_

Power cords and cables should not be tripped over because the setups will be placed in such a way that no cables are exposed or in a position that allows people to stumble upon them_ No well run tournament should be sloppily set up and i am sure this will not be the case at EI3_

As for tv's i have 2_ Big heavy ******* and the other one i sometimes bring_

Will we be looking at supplying televisions and setups for the arcade fighter community also, or will they have the task of bringing their own_?

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
what are the differences in the *** version? I have it and I didnt notice anything
Well to be honest Ive never tested this but in the *** version Sonics Nair will hit twice if you hit with the initial frame of it. Which adds another 4% onto the dmg I believe.

To me, that seems a difference enough :p

Why is the abbreviation for Japanese censored..

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I think you guys are missing the point here, yes no ones going to seriously play Sonic, but that change is at least a basis there may be other changes.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
intresting... the only change I noticed is that the sound effect for pummeling with snakes grab changes lol
(its some gay squeak noise in the japanese version instead of that crunch sound)

also *** was a derogatory term used in world war 2 I believe? thats probably why.

Top Bottom