• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Weapon of choice Sieg_? I'm still enticed by the bowguns_

My only gripe is as pretty as it looks for a wii game, i can't help but think how amazing it would of really looked on say, a ps3_ Gotta get me a classic controller pro_ Nunchucking is busting my balls_

Sieg

Smash Champion
Yeah, I agree completely on the graphics. I got the CC Pro with it, it's excellent to play with.

Also, Mother****ing Great Sword.

MTGod

Smash Champion
HEY GUYS

How about we fix up the tournaments listing thread :D???

I'm such a good troll I've learnt to troll by being nice. **** I'm good.
It's called the "double-troll", similar to the double-bluff in poker... Things start getting real technical with a triple-troll, but I'm one of those people who believe that's the same as a regular troll depending on the mindset of the person eing trolled...

The Melancholy of Martuhi Suzumiya?
I dunno, but for some reason I really wanna see the ending theme song dance to that XD

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Yeah, I agree completely on the graphics. I got the CC Pro with it, it's excellent to play with.

Also, Mother****ing Great Sword.
I can't stand Great Swords, seem so sluggish. Standard swords for me, run in and just slash to heck before giving it legs.

Guess I gotta get a classic controller aye?

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Ah you mean include rankings Jesse_?Well considering only one tournament has been PMd to me I haven't even cared to create them_ I had aske for results to be PMd to me but clearly people have forgotten or are lazy_

Also if there is an upcoming tournament then let me know I will update the title_ Pages move so god **** fast in here it's hard to keep track sometimes_

MTGod

Smash Champion
Got a lot of stuff worked out today guys, so thanks for coming :D It was good to get an insight into the SF tournaments too :p

Will post up with what was discussed when I get some free time (Thursday :D:D:D) regarding:
- Advertising
- Venue
- Side events
- Scheduling/Setups

Alzi

Smash Master
Nice of you Jesse to be holding an Eastern Invasion 3 meeting.

Good to see the main things have been discussed aswell.

MTGod

Smash Champion
High Five for finishing my essay earlier than expected :D

So here's a quick summary of the meeting (should I post this in the EI3 thread as well :p???):

VENUE
READING CINEMAS
- There has been an SF 4 tournament there... According to Andrew (SF4 TO) Reading Cinemas only has space for ~4 set-ups, and spectators caused a lot of trouble moving around to watch other matches... I think he said they resorted to, or almost resorted to, forcing people to stay in their seat until they were called to play...
- Venue fee is amazing - only requirement was that everyone had to buy something from the candy store (i.e. the venue fee was the price of whatever you wanted to snack on :D)...
- Venue provides no tables (IIRC) and the seating is fixed to the floor...
- Given that Brawl alone requires more than 4 set-ups to run, deemed this not to be suitable for a National (not even really for a local, however the cost of trying it out for a true local is extremely low :p)

HOTEL LOBBY/CONVENTION CENTRE
- I have a feeling this was discussed while I was picking up Trav, but I'm pretty sure we decided against it (Pete/Mic please enlighten us :p??)
- I flicked through what Pete received from the various sites, and found them to be exorbitantly expensive (over $10000 for three days in the case of the convention centre!!!)

REC CENTRE
- This was the general concensus of the best option
- Karrinyup venue holds 250 people (we estimated a turnout of 150 people in total each day, so this should fit us and set-ups comfortably)
- Being a rec hall, should have a plethora of tables and chairs to use...
- $50 per hour for the cost, and it's based on what we tell them in advance
- (Apparently, to my skepticism :p) they don't check the venue for close-up times, so if the worst happens going a bit overtime shouldn't be an issue in terms of venue
- Also apparently we get the key for the whole weekend that it's booked for (pick up key Fri, return it on the following Mon)... Ergo it should be okay to leave stuff in the venue, and also should allow people to get there early/stay late to setup and pack up... Again, I'm skeptical about this :p
- Nearest food to the Karrinyup centre is Maccas and a Chinese restaurant (~600m walk), but other food options aren't within walking distance (easy drive though :p)
- Heaps of options for locations that SHOULD be all similarly priced

LECTURE HALLS
- Choice of arena style (fixed seating :( ) or classroom style (with movable chairs and tables - I'm more in favour of this one :D)
- Definitely not as big as a rec hall (Classroom style rooms)
- Since being on a Uni campus, should be relatively close to food options (unless food places close during the holidays... I don't know, I don't go to Uni in January :D)
- Inbuilt projector xD
- Probably going to be more expensive than $50 an hour (I recall Curtin being $300 for 3 hours or something ridiculous like that for an arena style lecture hall... It'd be less than that for classroom, but don't think it'd go down to $50/hr)
ADVERTISING
- Creation of an EI3 dedicated website/webblog would be a good idea (good way to collaborate info that is easier to access than the Aussie smash boards, plus a good way to easily build hype through blog-style updates???)
- Debated posters (more eye-catching, cheaper, fits more info easily) v flyers (easy distribution of info, should make people look at it more than once)... In terms of what shops allow, we couldn't foresee any problems with either method... Not sure which was decided as better if any, but we're sticking with posters for the moment due to the relative cost...
- What shops we should put it up in wasn't discussed at length, but obviously game shops (duh) would be our primary target... (I didn't bring this up at the meeting, but we should look at other gamer localities as well, like Laser Tag places, Timezone, Utopia?, Pot Black?)
- Discussed "pseudo-sponsorship" - basically we would advertise a gaming news site (e.g. Kotaku, PALGN etc.) in the tournament in return for the site to plug our tournament... This could also be a set-up for "Good Game", who could actually COVER our tournament, which would be undeniably awesome :D If we get a plug with Aus gaming news we'd attract a lot more people to at least follow the tournament, and thus be more inclined to come to the EI4 if EI3 is a resounding success...
- We've decided to use the SF4 poster design FOR NOW (basically faded out picture in the background, with words overlayed so that the words pop out at the public... If a different poster design becomes better than that, we'll rediscuss)...
- Obviously it's really way to early to advertise EI3, and thus we have HEAPS of time to discuss and rediscuss these points... That being said, for locals in the near future it's been decided to advertise more via posters to try and improve the size of the Perth scene...
SIDE EVENTS
- Everyone at the meeting really loved the idea of a cross-community Tug o' War (arcade fighter v SSB) the most, however dodgeball, duck duck goose and mafia were also brought up...
- For Brawl, Crew Battles seems to be a general concensus...
- For the arcade fighters, Andrew mentioned a "gauntlet" - teams of three compete against each other in three games that weren't part of the tournament, where each player got allocated a game for that round at random (example: names drawn out of a hat - Andre v Alister at Tekken, Trav v Pete at BlazBlue, Jesse v Rick at TvC)... a "VS" gauntlet would be a good consideration (TvC, MvC, CvSNK), though that's something that can easily be sorted out later (i.e. once we as a community have tried out one of these "gauntlets" at a fest or something :p)
- As for the when, the morning before the tournament begins would be optimal for attendance for both communities, as the arcade fighter community are generally older and would prob not attend on the weekday (assuming this is a three-day event - see SCHEDULE below)... That being said, we're looking at early January where full-time employees SHOULD be on their holidays as well, so it's a bit of a grey area that we need to sort out...
SCHEDULE
- Basically we're at an impasse: Brawl community is more inclined for a 3 day whereas the AF community is more suited towards a 2 day (on the basis that full time employees are back at work in early Jan)...
- IF we decide on a 2 day event (unlikely), we could give up Melee given that there is no scene for it here (this, however, could deal a big blow to OoS attendance)
- Decided that it is unfair to make AF people pay for a day where they won't attend, but at the same time we decided against splitting venue fees (see MONEY STUFF below)
- Brawl people that were at the meeting decided that the first day should be used for the "novelty" events like Gauntlet/Crews/ToW to "break the ice" so to speak...
- Given an expected run time of 4 hours per SF4 tournament (singles and teams), AF community could run their Gauntlet event easily while SSB tournaments are going...
-Definitive scheduling for SSB events was NOT discussed (given that we're still not sure whether it should be a 2 or 3 day thing)... It's generally decided though that, if only the Brawl community was considered, it would be a three-day event...
- Obviously both tournaments would run at the same time, so we aren't allowing people to enter into more than one game on the same day... Doesn't stop people from friendlies though :D
- Everyone seemed happy with a 9AM sign up time, 10AM start, 1PM lunch with 2PM resume...
MONEY STUFF
- Venue fee would be around $15-20 (based on an expected attendance of 150 people combined, at a cost of $500 per day for the REC HALL)
- Upon payment of venue fee, the players receive a lanyard (similar to how WAICON did it) - serves as proof of payment AND a nice little souvenir :p
- Excess venue fee (remember we're budgeting not just for venue/lanyard fee, but also for unexpected costs) would be put aside and used for the next major/cross community tournament (suggested that, if successful, we could hold one every 6 months), or alternatively split up and put into the different pots evenly... Depends on how well the AF and SSB communities get along :p
- Event entry fees were NOT discussed
- Spectator fees weren't decided on definitely, but it was decided that we shouldn't need to charge spectators if our estimated costs and attendance are near correct... It's something that can be added on once we have finalised our cost, anyway :p
STAFFING
- All TOs would help out to take venue fees at the start, and organise pre-major side events :D Because they're such nice people ^^
- One major TO (EI3 admin? God?) to collaborate between both communities, make sure everything is running smoothly in general, allocate set-ups to specific games if demand becomes greater than supply etc.
- One TO (event coordinator?) for each community to keep an eye on the admin stuff (operates TIO, calls out next matches, takes entry fees for each event, protects pot money from thieves :D)
- One TO (referee?) per 2 setups to referee games, report results to event coordinator, find players who need to play matches etc.
- Obviously we'd need some spares as well so that, when the TOs need to play their games, people can take over from them :p
- We decided that, unless legally required, we won't need to hire security... Just remind everyone: "You break your ****, it's your fault... You break someone else's ****, it's your fault... Someone else break's their ****, it's their fault... Don't be careless :p"
- Photojournalists - Andrew has a guy that does photos for free IIRC (photography major, does it for fun and to build up his portfolio)... That being said, if we do get Good Game or another gaming news site to plug us, they may send out their own journalists to document the event... Regardless, we should NOT need to pay one (even if neither of the above happened, we can easily make do with our own cameras + facebook it :p)
SET-UPS
- Mic seems to recall 12 brawl set-ups used for Rocky... If we work on an estimate of a couple of extra (let's say 15) we should EASILY be covered...
- We'd need everyone that can possibly bring CRTs to bring them... People who can drive would need to help out people with bigger TVs so that we can get as many as possible... (I can only fit smallish TVs in our car, but if someone has a van or something I can drive then I would be more than willing to :D)
- Remember, we need dedicated friendly set-ups as well so that people who get knocked out have something to do... More TVs the better obviously!!!
- Also, gotta use original copies of games... No texture hacks, no HDD running the games off, etc... Gotta be the disc, the whole disc and nothing but the disc :D Even if this means we buy 10 copies of SSB from EB and return them for a full refund after the event (of course this would mean an overnight fest of unlocking characters and stages :D)
Anyone else that was there, if I've missed anything or written something down wrong let me know :D

What's on the agenda for now:
- Sussing out rec halls for suitability (cost NO MORE than $100 an hour, close proximity to Perth city, VERY close proximity to food [like walking distance lol], size needs to suit 200 people MINIMUM etc.)... We've already looked into Karrinyup and it seems good, and Andrew has already held a tournament there before, but if anyone wants to carry out their own research on rec halls in their area, post the results up here (make sure you at least address the aforementioned criteria :p)
- If you see any CRTs out the front of people's houses for collection/giveaways, pick them up and test them out at home... If they work, that's one more possible set-up!!!
- Plant seeds in the heads of people you know to come along to local tournaments when they are announced - NOTHING is better than word of mouth advertising!!! Remember, people are more inclined to come along if they know someone else who'll be there :D

Vlade

Social Outcast
Haven't read through it all Jesse but I should've mentioned yesterday that we can always get some Eastern TOs to help out with running pools and stuff because they know their **** :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
Yup, the staffing arrangements I've mentioned are really just what we need... Who will take up those roles is something that can be decided once more important things are sorted out (like venue, cost, etc. :p)... I really don't see a lack of volunteers, put it that way :D Plus, we can always get some extra TOs (lackeys :D) to pick up the slack if it comes to pass :p

I did forget to mention recording as well:

Basically, on the brawl side of things I'm more inclined to record the top 16 IF we get 100+ people... This was met with some disgust from a couple of people (mainly Andrew :p) but my reasoning is that, whilst all of the top 16 matches prob won't be exciting, the top 16 in Aussie Brawl are quite evenly matched, and thus there is a very high chance of some epic sets that won't be in top 8...

Only problem with this is a bottleneck of recordings... If we get two recording set-ups, the problem is nullified (two set-ups for top 16 = one set-up for top 8 roughly)... If we get one, then it becomes a debate of time vs footage, but this is something that can be determined at a very late stage in the planning and thus is unnecessary to debate over right now...

Trillest

Smash Ace
Setting up recording on multiple setups wouldnt be to difficult obviously not all of them will have commentary but i think its a good idea. Even if we just get wii's with the longer than 3 minutes/infinite replay hack set up that would allow matches to be saved without too much effort

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You should've been there bob!

Anyone been playing TvC lately? Or has the hype died down completely? :(
I haven't played it for a while, but always game to give it a bash.

Spoke with my uncle today, confirmed I can borrow his projector for the tester tournament.

Alzi

Smash Master
I had this old toon link avatar decided to make it lime green like my name. I also decided to put the words MOD underneath because i think i am a great Mod. It doesn't let you put in Moderator as it will then appear as these stars (*).

DID I JUST READ THAT SOME SF4 POSTER IS BEING USED INSTEAD OF MY POSTER DESIGN?

MTGod

Smash Champion
What reasons were stated to not record top 16? Did they not want recording at all or did they want recording for every match possible?
It was mainly Andrew who was against it, mainly because he thought it redundant (I think the words used were "who would be interested in watching random Perth scrubs get beaten?" to which I replied, top 16 in a 100+ man tournament wouldn't be random scrubs :p)... The other argument would be the aforementioned bottleneck of matches, which is easily overcome by having two recording set-ups... If that's the case, I might purchase that Dazzle off you like I said I might ages ago Vlade (provided it works on my piece o' crock laptop :p) as I recall you saying you wanted to get a newer, better recording setup??? I'll clarify with you later :p

Projector
Nice, nice :D Hopefully there's a nice white wall to project onto :p

DID I JUST READ THAT SOME SF4 POSTER IS BEING USED INSTEAD OF MY POSTER DESIGN?
As awesome and pretty as your design was, we agreed that it lacked focus on the information... If someone could post up the SF4 poster, you'll notice a massive difference in where the focus lies...

Your poster isn't bad, it's just not the optimal method to convey the information :p If you want to submit another poster design then we'll rediscuss the poster situation, however I'd see the SF4 poster before you make one to get a look at the type of thing we're after ^^

It's not bull**** - I reckon you'd come to a lot more tournaments if you had one or two more people to do the road trip down here with you for the Brawl tournaments :p Safe to say, too, that I wouldn't be in the scene had I not had Sean and Louai to drag along to the first couple of tournaments, and THEN where'd you be, huh??? (rhetorical question - anyone who answers that is a douche beyond that which other douches can fathom :p)

Setting up recording on multiple setups wouldnt be to difficult obviously not all of them will have commentary but i think its a good idea. Even if we just get wii's with the longer than 3 minutes/infinite replay hack set up that would allow matches to be saved without too much effort
Useful as it may be, no hacks in any way shape or form should be allowed to be used... Just opens up more loopholes for people to jump through if they lose a match, and we don't want to have to spend time dealing with frivolity like that :p

Even without the hacks though, it shouldn't be too hard to set up two recordings... Commentary on both would be wicked as it'd give more people a chance to get on the mic (plus, someone needs to be there to record the video anyway :p)... Keep in mind that I'm sure Easterners would ALSO have recording set-ups that they'd probably bring regardless of whether they'd be used on the tourney day, given that they may want to record friendlies against Perth people :D

As always, I'll have my awesome speaker + mic set-up which can double as a PA system :D

EDIT: Anyone got spare time on their hands??? It'd be wicked to have a photo of people on the player listings at the front of the site :p Could cut it from one of the various group photos we've done (the brawl one, or the various NvS ones :p)

Speaking of which... NORTH NEED A COUNTERPICK!!!!!!

Alzi

Smash Master
Very cute picture.

SOMEONE POST THIS SF4 POSTER RIGHT NOW. I'M GOING TO **** THE **** OUT OF IT SO HARD. MY POSTER DESIGN WAS JUST A DRAFT YEAH THATS RIGHT A DRAFT I WAS WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT FOR A BETTER POSTER DESIGN SO I CAN RISE UP WITH A FINAL DESIGN THAT ***** THE **** OUT OF EVERYTHING.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

MTGod

Smash Champion
NORTH NEED A NVS COUNTERPICK BY TONIGHT LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I smell a technical loss :D

And Leisha, love chibi Youmu :D:D:D

MTGod

Smash Champion
Posting on behalf of Trav - Table Tennis is the official North Counterpick... Will be held on the 16th I imagine, since it's the only Sunday left...

North have to sort out team sizes, location etc. ASAP or suffer a technical loss... Deadline will be Friday for the details to be posted, so get to it Northies!!! (I'm being lenient with the details and **** this time, but next time the official announcment has to include this kinda detail and be made by the announcement deadline or a technical loss will be given...

Vlade

Social Outcast
It was mainly Andrew who was against it, mainly because he thought it redundant (I think the words used were "who would be interested in watching random Perth scrubs get beaten?" to which I replied, top 16 in a 100+ man tournament wouldn't be random scrubs :p)... The other argument would be the aforementioned bottleneck of matches, which is easily overcome by having two recording set-ups... If that's the case, I might purchase that Dazzle off you like I said I might ages ago Vlade (provided it works on my piece o' crock laptop :p) as I recall you saying you wanted to get a newer, better recording setup??? I'll clarify with you later :p
I can see where he's coming from but his point of view is limited to the street fighter community where NO-ONE cares about australia as far as I'm aware, unlike smash because I know for a fact that people are actually somewhat interested in viewing top international matches - several american players I've talked to (over the internet) keep track of Shaya's youtube channel for example. Btw I imagine Shaya's coming to this so he'd also have a recording setup (and he'll wanna record finals for his channel probs, which I have no qualms with).

I believe that hacks SHOULD be allowed, except no stage or character textures or no tripping codes or just anything that disrupts the game. In fact I believe that the following hacks should be legal:

-Custom Music
-Infinite replays
-Custom Menus

Alzi

Smash Master
Some people might seriously hate the music they are listening to during the match though. :p

SOMEONE POST THE SF4 POSTER ALREADY.

MTGod

Smash Champion
I find myself agreeing with Alzi in this circumstance :O I don't really mind hacks, but this is a major tournament with possible international attendance - any grey areas that people could possibly exploit should be taken care of... Moreover, people may have other hacks on their game that are really unfair if we allow certain hacks (either intentionally or accidentally)...

- People might have a problem with the music, especially if they don't loop properly (hrm Marty :p??)
- Menus might open up opportunity for glitches (e.g. Marty's menu of being able to select ONLY charizard/squirtle/ivysaur - sorry to pick on you Marty XD)
- Infinite replays are pointless for anything but friendly set-ups, since you're probably not going to play on your own wii during the tournament anyway, and it only opens up greater opportunity for random people to fill up your wii with **** you don't want...

It's really not worth the hassles that COULD arise (especially if we're as pressed for time as previous nationals have been!!!)... It's a ****-ton easier to say "no hacks" rather than say "certain hacks only" and then give us another thing to enforce :S

Top Bottom