• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Vlade

Social Outcast
Brawl takes REAL SKILL?!?!?
My internet error alert just went up!
Something is wrong on the internets...

Brawl does NOT take real skill. If you thought Brawl was harder than Mario Kart, then you're in the right perspective.

But really? Skill is something that doesn't quite add up in Brawl. The faster you hit the buttons on the controller in Brawl, the more you lose. Yeah Brawl really does loves a n00b <3

If you want REAL SKILL in a fighting game, then I suggest you take a look at Melee, SF2 and Guilty Gear.
Oh did I say Melee? Sorry but that's where real skill is required to win this game.
I meant a game that takes more skill than mario kart. Sorry if I didn't make that sound clear.

Yes, Melee takes way more skill. There's no denial of that.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
yeah i jus checked in to find out that same thing.. QUALIFIERS PEOPLE..!! and this next smash tourney i dunno when its gonna happen.. ACTUALLY id be more than willing to hold one at my place in 2 weeks time considering i dont get a job that requires me to fly out anytime round then..

So till then try and keep Sat 31st, Sun 1st free on your calendars and i will keep you guys updated as soon as i get any word on upcoming work.. Otherwise i will be willin to hold a tourney again slong as you peeps dont mind headin to rocko heh.. Oh did i say BIG TVs..!! Come on peeps you know you want to..

Hope to catch yall soono for some kind of state qualifier too im prolly a bit rusty but seriously dying to get back into things.. BLAH..!

ps - boo to the naysayer.. also SF4 is where the win will be.. REPRESENT..!

Alzi

Smash Master
The 1st of Febuary which is on a sunday would be really nice to hold the tourney since it makes up for the last days until school starts again. >.>

But any earlier would be even better.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
hmm ill see what i can do but unfortunately thats as early as i can get cause of work an the fact i jus moved.. kinda.. long story.. lol..

yeah well if people express which day theyll prefer i will cater to the majority.. god i hope i dont have to fly out that weekend /wrists..

BLAH..!

Vlade

Social Outcast
Just as long as I can go with Andre, Samuel and Richard on the train I'd be able to go to Rockingham. There's a station near there where we could be picked up, right? I'll ask Andre for details anyway.

We need to organise a venue for the state qualifiers.

Dates should be fine for me.

Jono!

Smash Journeyman
im getin tired of w8in me and alzi are gona **** all in the doubles. hope its this sunday

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Heya peeps.. Apologies about the suspenseful silence..

Yeah i live in Rockingham right near the warnbro train station so i am able to pick up anybody who is able to catch the train.. It makes it more practical than it sounds tbh and seeing tournaments are held around 12ish, usually gives everyone sufficient time to arrive.. Dont worry we wont start without you unless your mic who is always late heh..

OKAY.. Good news is i can hold a tournament at my house on either the 31st, 1st which is next weekend people incase you forget.. My address is 18 Morfonttaine Parade, Port Kennedy so google it and find out jus how far you are.. Yeah Ric im still in the same house but i technically moved.. Heh long story..

So sunday or staurday let me know i will post up an official tournament invitation monday..

BLAH..!

p.s - big tv's an hopefully match recordings so you dont wanna miss it.. ;) hope yall can come..

Vlade

Social Outcast
Count me in Bob. I think I would rather sunday, but I'll have a look at my calendar and see what's happening.

Will there be doubles and melee if there's enough time/people?

Oh and I can bring my recording equipment, so expect videos of this tourney!!!

ichigo601

Smash Apprentice
make it saturday, sunday is big day out! :confused:, and theres no way im missing out on big day out lol

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hah well i have a few votes for sunday an im also busy saturday unfortunately.. There will be doubles and melee if anyone wants.. Usual rules apply everyone is welcome to bring any peripherals, recording equipment, consoles they want..

My adress is above and the time is as usual.. BLAH..! gotta go will make kopre formal post later..

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
oh yeah vlade ill jus unplug my dvd player if you needa spare av port.. bring splitters jus incase anyways..

In response to CAOs post.. my thoughts were put forward to mic about perhaps apporaching gametraders to hold the state qualifiers in their perth store similar to when they held that large brawl comp last year.. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea please post up some thoughts/ suggestions.. I have some free time this week so can make up some posters and email them to anyone who is willing to print and post them around the pace, put em in store windows etc..

Firstly we need someone to approach gametraders with this idea which i have left to Mic seeing he knows where to start and im in rocko with no phone and stealin my neighbours internet lol..

Hope to see you guys on sunday and tell your friends..!! i expect pain, blood, tears and lots of people so get whipping..

BLAH..!

Jono!

Smash Journeyman
can you give us the official details so my dad can check em out. cos hes a bit unsure

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice

RETURN TO SENDER
@ PKBRAWL!

- Sunday, 1st Febuary
-18 Morfontaine Parade, PORT KENNEDY

If possible, please bring your Wii + Brawl. This will ensure we have enough time for all the events. Anyone wishing to grab a copy of their recorded matches, please bring along any form of usb, external HD, laptop or blank cd/dvd.

Entrance:
$5 to enter in to each tournament (Brawl singles), $10 for teams ($5 each)! If you don’t want to enter you are still welcome to come down and watch/play some non tournament matches.

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Bob) on 0422 461 561 or let me know in this forum/via PM, once I have received confirmation of your entry I will add you to the list. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, it can be quite difficult to organize brackets with odd numbers – especially when I’m unsure of the final amount of people turning up.

Start time:
12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up. if anyone wants to come and help, come early to bring recording gear or play a few friendlies before the tourny starts, its your call. all help is appreciated!

There is a train service running to WARNBRO TRAIN STATION for anyone who is in close proximity to one and unable to drive. We will be having pickups from the train station, so please let me know if you are arriving by train and your approximate arrival time. The train takes about 40 minutes max from perth to arrive at Warnbro.

All prizes:
80/20 1st + 2nd place

Brawl Singles Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit. Items are off.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both players announce their character that they will be using without the other player knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both players are able to agree on a neutral map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the neutral list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the neutral or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Neutral and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages:
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Green Greens
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)
Hanenbow (N)
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

*(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.
*(N) signifies the stage is awesome and can be counterpicked by anyone ^_^

*In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Brawl Doubles Rules:

Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit.

Items are off.

Team attack is on.

Life Stealing is allowed.

All stalling - including the MK infinite cape glitch - is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. (citation from the SBR recommended rule list)

Controller Port Placement:
Controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion, if a debate arises over who takes what port, it shall be settled by rock paper scissors.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both teams announce their characters that they will be using – this can be done without the other team knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both teams are able to agree on a starter map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the starter list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the starter or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Starter and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza

Counterpick Stages
Rainbow Ride
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Mario Circuit
Onett
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Hanenbow
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

Melee Singles Rules:
General:
- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- Good behaviour is expected; if tournament staff deems that you are causing trouble in this fashion, you will be kicked out of the tournament without refund.
- Controllers: see MLG rules (no modifications aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons)
- No pausing during a match.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Peach's Wallbombing, Jigglypuff's rising pound, Ice Climber freeze glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match.
- Prizes: 80/20 1st/2nd
- No friendlies will be allowed during any part of the tournament, unless staff relax the rules. Players caught playing friendlies during busy tournament sessions will be warned. It would be more appropriate to friendly people outside the tournament date.
- Money Matches are allowed to take place where possible.
- Spectators are welcome.

Match rules:
- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
- Double blind pick may be called at any time (the only time this is useful is, before players choose their first initial character, before the first game starts).

- Neutral stages:

Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

- Counterpick stages: Any neutral stage, plus

Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Corneria
Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Donkey Kong 64
- Any other stage is BANNED

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND. DO NOT BOTHER FOR SIGNUPS REGARDING MELEE AS THAT WILL BE A FRIENDLY TOURNAMENT.

Alzi

Smash Master
I can't come sorry. :( Too far away and i'm getting my stuff for my room on sunday.

Also the gametraders in whitfords city they said they hold brawl tourneys somtimes since i was talking to them randomlly about the connection tour and they said they hold things like that and they would tell me if they are having anything up.

Lets hope Mugza host the next tourney *nudgenudge*;)

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'd rather not buy splitters :p I'll see what I can do. Let me know FOR SURE whether your tv has A/V out.

Anyway I like the idea of having the state qualifiers at gametraders, will set-ups be provided?

Count me in for both tournies. I'm teaming with Andre for doubles.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I will be travelling with Sam on the train, as well as richard and andre if they confirm their decision to come. Just letting you know beforehand ;)

I'm hoping to arrive at 11, but I guess it's up to everyone else.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
cool thanks for the info vlade.. yeah i got AV output ports on my tv so you should be fine.. im gonna grab Cals analog recorder too so that should cover both tvs.. cheers for offering to bring that along.. ;)

Please note that if someone wants to come along and hasn't let me know beforehand, dont feel that your not invited, feel free to come along regardless of prior notice or if you want to play or not..

BLAH..!

Jono!

Smash Journeyman
I cant come to this one, sorry boys. Bunch of family friends are rentin a boat and goin down to moor river for a day on the sea around 11. So hopefully ill be able to come to the next one. VLADE TO WIN

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Im thinking that maybe we could/should postpone this tourney for 1 extra week. Considering how close the tourney is and how little people have signed up so far, maybe its a good idea. Completely up to you of course Bob :p

Top Bottom