• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i understand what your saying Sam.. How many people actually CAN come..? im counting 9/ 10ish atm... ouch what ever happened to everyone.. jus give me a show of hands so i know for sure but its no biggee im jus keen to catch up with everyone lawl..

Vlade

Social Outcast
I am 99.9% sure I can come.

Oh and if there isn't a very big turnout, why don't we play the tournament as a round robin? Where there are 2 groups and you play for points. I'm sure niv would know how to set it up :p

Would work very well with 10 or less people, preferably an even number.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'll be there, unless it's postponed. Afterall I have to show off my new title as 4-way-ree-for-al-with-al-items-on-WAICon champion.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hmm well looks like the odds are more in favour of next weekend instead seeing we probably wont get the numbers for it this weekend.. :( Its lame but id prefer to see more people than less cause our scene needs it..!

Id love to see this MECHA4WAYBANDITOness of yours mic so hopefully if i hold the tourney for next sunday we wont miss out.. Okay so i will put up a post for next sunday instead and hopefully we will get more numbers.. so for anyone who is smart enough to check this forum before leaving to my house..

TOURNEY CANCELLED REPOSTING..!

also its actually my dads birthday lol.. yeah i know how nice of me to hold a tourney on my dads bday so technically next weekend is better.. *cough*

PS - MIC OR BRINGER PLEASE CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE TO COINCIDE WITH MY TOURNEY DATE IM HOLDING (caps)

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice

RETURN TO SENDER
@ PKBRAWL!

- SUNDAY 8TH FEBUARY
-18 Morfontaine Parade, PORT KENNEDY

If possible, please bring your Wii + Brawl. This will ensure we have enough time for all the events. Anyone wishing to grab a copy of their recorded matches, please bring along any form of usb, external HD, laptop or blank cd/dvd.

Entrance:
$5 to enter in to each tournament (Brawl singles), $10 for teams ($5 each)! If you don’t want to enter you are still welcome to come down and watch/play some non tournament matches.

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Bob) on 0422 461 561 or let me know in this forum/via PM, once I have received confirmation of your entry I will add you to the list. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, it can be quite difficult to organize brackets with odd numbers – especially when I’m unsure of the final amount of people turning up.

Start time:
12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up. if anyone wants to come and help, come early to bring recording gear or play a few friendlies before the tourny starts, its your call. all help is appreciated!

There is a train service running to WARNBRO TRAIN STATION for anyone who is in close proximity to one and unable to drive. We will be having pickups from the train station, so please let me know if you are arriving by train and your approximate arrival time. The train takes about 40 minutes max from perth to arrive at Warnbro.

All prizes:
80/20 1st + 2nd place

Brawl Singles Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit. Items are off.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both players announce their character that they will be using without the other player knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both players are able to agree on a neutral map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the neutral list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the neutral or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Neutral and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages:
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Green Greens
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)
Hanenbow (N)
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

*(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.
*(N) signifies the stage is awesome and can be counterpicked by anyone ^_^

*In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Brawl Doubles Rules:

Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit.

Items are off.

Team attack is on.

Life Stealing is allowed.

All stalling - including the MK infinite cape glitch - is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. (citation from the SBR recommended rule list)

Controller Port Placement:
Controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion, if a debate arises over who takes what port, it shall be settled by rock paper scissors.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both teams announce their characters that they will be using – this can be done without the other team knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both teams are able to agree on a starter map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the starter list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the starter or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Starter and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza

Counterpick Stages
Rainbow Ride
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Mario Circuit
Onett
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Hanenbow
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

Melee Singles Rules:
General:
- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- Good behaviour is expected; if tournament staff deems that you are causing trouble in this fashion, you will be kicked out of the tournament without refund.
- Controllers: see MLG rules (no modifications aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons)
- No pausing during a match.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Peach's Wallbombing, Jigglypuff's rising pound, Ice Climber freeze glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match.
- Prizes: 80/20 1st/2nd
- No friendlies will be allowed during any part of the tournament, unless staff relax the rules. Players caught playing friendlies during busy tournament sessions will be warned. It would be more appropriate to friendly people outside the tournament date.
- Money Matches are allowed to take place where possible.
- Spectators are welcome.

Match rules:
- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
- Double blind pick may be called at any time (the only time this is useful is, before players choose their first initial character, before the first game starts).

- Neutral stages:

Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

- Counterpick stages: Any neutral stage, plus

Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Corneria
Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Donkey Kong 64
- Any other stage is BANNED

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND. DO NOT BOTHER FOR SIGNUPS REGARDING MELEE AS THAT WILL BE A FRIENDLY TOURNAMENT.

Alzi

Smash Master
Too far away for me so i won't be coming. I would love for you people to have me there and make the turnouts bigger but it's too far away thats the only problem.

Alzi

Smash Master
Spewin Alzi.. how far away do you live if you dont mind me asking..?

Counting 8 signups so far.. keep em coming.. BLAH..!
I'm not sure probally 49 minutes like Vlade said i live in Hocking and i too have over protective parents sort of. They don't mind me going to tourneys so much but asoon as they heard Rockingham they said no.

Anyway i can't be bothered going all the way to Rockingham and back lol. I can only go to Muzga's tourneys since it's the only one i know of thats close.

You seem cool btw Riot_Fires or should i say bob........ :laugh: Yeah i stalk people so watch out.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hah Alzi.. your oldies prolly thought of how dodgy Rocko can be i will admit its full of deros.. Lucky for you im not one of em.. lame you cant come but hey, thats why i dont live with my parents anymore.. ;) hope to catch you another time for some smashens..

Any word on our gotgames state qualifier...?!

BLAH..!

Alzi

Smash Master
When i tell my parents someone is a good person they believe me they just think it's too far to be going by train then getting picked up by some random in the car. Hopefully the next tourney is at muzga's or someone elses house that is close and i will be there along with Jono.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Gotgames state qualifier... What's happening?

Mic got any word about gametraders?

To be honest I wouldn't mind helping to organise it, though at the moment I don't have a GREAT deal of free time on my hands. Pretty busy lately.

Ideas for venues? We need to get that sorted first.

Richard7

Smash Ace
Message directed mostly at Alzi, Lord Bowser and Jono, you three, PLEASE READ!

Com on Alzi, Lord Bowser and Jono. Surely you guys can somehow convince your parents to let you go. We're all good people. Alzi, do you know Jono in real life? If so, just say you're even going with a friend, then they'll probably let you go. You also talked about 'getting picked up by some random in a car' The car ride is only about 10 mins max and you don't have to talk if you don't want to. :laugh:

Before I started going to tournaments, I always thought my parents were overprotective. (They still are, just not in terms of going to tournaments) They probably wouldn't of let me and my older brother go, but then when we told them we were going with friends, (It wasn't a lie either, we did go with 2 friends) they let us go. There's also a couple of other young teenagers (Including myself) that go to these tournaments, nothing has ever happened to them. Tell that to your parents. (I've been to about 9 or 10 tournaments now)

You guys could also catch the Warwick train with us, then you could tell your parents that you're catching the train with 3 (or maybe even 4) friendly people. :bee:

But if you were to do that, then you'd need to get a ride to where the tournament is being held by a separate car, unless they bring 2 cars at the same time to pick us up.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Heh nice post Ric.. Yeah we have plenty of transport for anyone who needs a ride from the train station so dont be afraid to come..! Im the oldest of the lot so my place is run by me and my fiance, so i guess you could say we have a pretty mature (hate that word) approach to holding tourneys.. As Ric said, himslef and many others have made this trip before when we were holding most tourneys (thx Muzga n Niv for now being tournament hosts also).. The atmoshpere is great, we are all friends here i **** you not lol.. I talk very highly about our scene cause everyone who participates are very outgoing and willing to help..

WE NEED MORE SMASHERS IN OUR SCENE..! so dont be afraid to make an effort its honestly very worthwhile and if anyone needs jus get your parents to call me lol.. I hate being the 'father' figure but ill do it cause thats how highly i think of you peeps so get your arses down here..! ^_^

BLAH..!

Jono!

Smash Journeyman
Yeh my dads not worried about the driving length im super pumped to go and ill try convince alan to come too. Its just that my dad is worried that your gona be pedos but im like come in and see what its like and hes still not saying yes for some reason. Hopefully by tomorrow me and alan will be able to smash it up and all shall be good.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I can't come to this one definitely, I have nowhere near enough time to convince my mum. Seriously my dad is pretty cool with it but my mum didn't want me to go to mugza's tourney and that was 10 mins away! She's even hesitant about me catching a train in general! I will try my absolute best to make sure I come to the next tourney though. About going with a friend all my friends are scrubs and are even worse than me (I'm decent at best) so that is out of the question.

By the way Richard do you know a guy called Keenan? he is a friend of mine and i think he knows you.

Alzi

Smash Master
I can't come to this tourney it's just too far away. My parents don't mind me going to tourneys i was going to go to muzga's one but he canceled it and this one that is being held now is too far away. My dad doesn't mind just my mum a little.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Beautiful post richard. I couldn't have said it better myself.

You can catch the train with me, Richard, Muzga (Andre) and Corpsecreate (Samuel) from Warwick. We won't bite ;)

Everyone at the tournaments are very friendly, so there's nothing to worry about.

*Inserts richard's post here because it summed things up so nicely*

EDIT: Accepting all MM's. That includes Sam (it's only fair lol). I would prefer $5 MM's, unless you're on a budget (lower than $5) or I'm pretty confident (above $5)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeh my dads not worried about the driving length im super pumped to go and ill try convince alan to come too. Its just that my dad is worried that your gona be pedos but im like come in and see what its like and hes still not saying yes for some reason. Hopefully by tomorrow me and alan will be able to smash it up and all shall be good.
If it would help I know I would be glad to give you/him my number if he feels like talking to us. Mention that one of us (me) has both a police clearance and a working with children check!

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Oh touche Vlade id be pumped to team up with you but i gotta admit i might be a bit rusty.. hopefully some friendlies should snap me back to my old self again..

BTW does your recording equipment record in HD or jus standard def..? Ive got a recorder setup already on our spare tv so yours gets the good one.. ;) Remember guys please msg or call me when your on-route to kwinana from Cockburn train station.. That will give me time to head down etc... that number again is 0422 461 561 for anyone who cant be bothered scrolling down..

BLAH..!

Alzi

Smash Master
I told my parents everything they said no. Guess i have to wait next tourney. Also i asked gametraders whitfords today about holding any brawl tourneys they said they might soon but maybe not brawl maybe diffrent games instead.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I actually haven't tried recording in HD. I'm only using composite A/V cables, but it might do the job. Perhaps we'll give it a quick test run and see what it's like. If you have a spare set of s-video cables, that would probably help.

Just to be safe it might be best to set-up my device with a tv that will not display in HD, unless that's too much of a hassle for you.

EDIT: Just found that my capture card does NOT record in HD. Sorry :( We can't be playing brawl in HD on the TV I'll be recording (in other words, we have to be playing with regular composite cables).

I'm up for friendlies once I've set up the recording.

Can't wait to see everyone there tomorrow! :D

EDIT: Yeah we (Sam, richard and I) will give you a call when we get close to warnbro, I think we'll be getting the train that runs to mandurah. So yeah just make sure there's 3 available seats in the car, but I'm sure you've already got that organised.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Sorry guys can't make this one, I agreed to help my dad with fixing a few things tomoz forgetting about the tournament...Im a douche -_- lol

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hey jus wanna say thanks to everyone who turned up today.. Small turnout but good to see everyone again and great to get some recordings too.. Thanks Vlade for recording the matches for us and offering to upload em etc..

Fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow when Alex asks Gametraders bout holding the state qualifiers at their perth store..

Since i work close to home now i wil be holding a tournament every month or 2 weeks depending on demand.. More numbers means more tourneys so don't be afraid to show up.. Hope to catch you all again soon..!

BLAH..!

Vlade

Social Outcast
Hey thanks for hosting Bob, it was all good fun.

I'll get round to the encoding of the videos soon, and then I'll let you guys know when I've uploaded them to youtube with a link to my channel.

*Crosses fingers for good news about gametraders*

Alzi

Smash Master
Looks like Riot_ Fires is going to be holding tourneys from now on. I have to some way get through my parents head. Going to jono's house then me going with jono sounds like a good idea since they will know i'm with someone.

Jono!

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys sorry i couldnt make it to the last tourney but could someone post up the results? I'd like to see.

Top Bottom