• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Muzga

Smash Ace
That's right Trav :p

I could use your argument for pools Bob. The only people complaining about pools were those who didn't make it out into the bracket.
Not true, Im against pools

As for using money in the pot to get people to participate in tournaments for overseas? Maybe we could do what other places have done and organise trophies instead of the cash. If we could come up with a fair alternative to outright giving the cash to the winners and have the money go towards a comunal flight id be all for it, but until you guys find something fair to replace the cash the people who win the tournaments recieve i dont think its fair to them.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Argh you just reminded me_ Got a phone call the other night reminding me about 'family duties' i have previously agreed to attend on Saturday night_ This has kind of irritated me because it doesn't help you out and i honestly hate communions, let alone churches_ Really sorry about this Techno_

True Romance

Smash Ace
Forget its exact name but I recently acquired the Nintendo themed DDR rip off on the game cube. I shall bring it and our dancing shall be glorious. It's a pretty funny game, your dancing (ant stomping for all intents and purposes) makes your character on screen dance better or worse.

I have only got Mario and Wigi unlocked atm but it's pretty fun to see Mario full on break dancing when you're doing well on a high difficultly :D

Edit - I just want to reiterate my opinion on the moeny coming out of the pot for Squat as I was brief and not that sensitive about it before. In my opinion what makes it a bad idea is that people who have no interest or realistically just have no chance of getting to squat shouldn't have to contribute to fundraising for those who do. And although I honestly believe it wouldn't be such a bad idea for those players making money off thecommunity to give a bit back to it, it also should be their choice as to how they want to use their winnings.

It makes little difference to me, I work as a behavioural and developmental therapist and make decent money, if I really want to go I will get there (which I plan to). If I win any prize money, which I quite possibly could, I'd be more then happy to contribute my winnings to a Squat fund, but that would be my personal choice, as if I was relying on smash winnings to line my pocket I'd be poor for a very long time. But people shouldn't be forced to fund raise for others, particulary if they will reap no benefit for them selves.

Something that could be considered is making the Retro game fest a possible fund raiser event? I'm sure it's the sort of thing where you could attract alot of gamers outside of the smashh gaming community to so you'd be getting money into the smash community from other sources.

Think about it, a awesome retro game fest fund raising for a west australian e-sports team... Almost makes sense.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Forget its exact name but I recently acquired the Nintendo themed DDR rip off on the game cube. I shall bring it and our dancing shall be glorious. It's a pretty funny game, your dancing (ant stomping for all intents and purposes) makes your character on screen dance better or worse.

I have only got Mario and Wigi unlocked atm but it's pretty fun to see Mario full on break dancing when you're doing well on a high difficultly :D
Actually it is an official DDR game, Dancing Stage is the European name for it. (Dancing Stage: Mario Mix). I also have the game, and Dancing Stage Hottest Party for the Wii, so I have 2 mats to bring in, its pretty sweet. Oh and I have Dancing Stage Hottest Party 2 but I need unlock more songs, Ill do it tonight :p
Oh and you can only dance as Mario and Luigi, little cheap but dancing to "Always Smiling" while Luigi drives a ship along lava is pretty cool.

So yeah DDR is god

Edit: Roman, as for the retro fest if we really want it to be a fundraiser wed need diversity in games and systems and I doubt we'd make much money at all really, I like the idea of keeping it as an end of year celebration, but lets see what others say.

Jupz

Smash Master
Who wants a trophy more then money? And it costs money to get trophies anyway.

Lets just keep doing like we've been doing. People can either afford it or they can't.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Good news guys, venue's been booked!

However, there is a catch. This Sunday we WILL NOT be playing in the winner's club. Instead we are in the 'Captain's Cabin' or something like that (I just remember the word captain in it lol).

So this Sunday, I ask that you wait by the steps because it is a bit of a trek there lol. This room is bigger, and is costing us the same price because Charlene ROCKS :D

This is gonna be awesome :)

Alzi

Smash Master
Jupz is right if you can't make money for Squat you are going to have to let it go. Although i do have a nice idea.

How about we having a tourney where all the money goes to Squat and those who want to go will take it? To be honest i won't come to these though but people who want to save up money to go as a group can go to tourneys and use all the money for Squat.

Retro fest i would enter if it was just for fun to walk in and play. But you have to remeber that it's harder to save up money if you have it placed in a venue it would be better if it's at someones house.

Who is Charlene? Maybe she can get us some good entertainment ;). Also lol at the name of the room CAPTAIN falcon. We should truly have a captain falcon tourney as a tribute to the room.

Jupz

Smash Master
But we don't know where the place is :(

Besides I already said I'd do friendlies with technodeath first if hes not there I'll verse you.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Kane i honestly agree with you and your ideas_ In the future perhaps implementing a largely advertised Retro fest could help create funding towards future participation in major eastern tournaments_ This could also bring more focus towards the fact we have a largely competitive Brawl scene in Perth_

I understand everybodies complaints about using prize money to aid in flight costs etc (greedy *******s) but don't like the fact that the few with jobs or money will be the only ones able to participate_ I sure as hell don't want to be the only person representing W.A for the first time lol_

Perhaps looking more into Kane's suggestion on using Retrofest money towards future nationals may be a more realistic idea which would help both our scene in growth and representation_ Unless people need to win money to be enticed to compete in a Retrofest gaming event also hmmmm_? We could just give out prizes lol_

Trill start hoarding those rooster hats >_>

Oh yeah Marteh_ What time is the train on sunday again_?

Vlade

Social Outcast
Shouldn't be a problem, so long as I can be bothered recording XD

Oh yeah guys I just found that this new room has a PA system as well as a projector.

PA system means that Trav won't have to announce everything :p
Projector would make grand finals more epic, we could have the finalists playing on the TV while everyone else is watching it on the projector. We might need A/V cables for this (but hopefully the venue has them). I'll be bringing mine but they're going to be used for recording.

Only thing is, it's likely we'll have to pay for those extras :/ We'll see though

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Not sure Bob, is Grayham giving you a lift if not I believe it was about 7:53 for you
Oh I see how it is, *claps hands* Marty what time will my train be leaving? Cause you know it's such an effort to go to google maps :p

PA SYSTEM?! God **** it Vlade don't render me obsolete!

EDIT:On second thought I could have some fun with this PA system, put on the ring announcer voice "LLLLLLLLLETS GET READDDDDY TO RUMMMMMBLE!

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
EDIT:On second thought I could have some fun with this PA system, put on the ring announcer voice "LLLLLLLLLETS GET READDDDDY TO RUMMMMMBLE!
I'm expecting an amazing entrance including music and announcing for when I enter, thatd make it great =D

I want to know if we could rig up music to the PA

Alzi

Smash Master
Marteh are you bringing T VS C at the tourney. Once that game comes out in PAL i will play it equally with brawl.

Top Bottom