• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
The only issue I see with the pool system is it can be thrown, although I doubt anyone would do that. Still look at it like this.
Pool 1
Player A wins all 6 of his matchs
Player B has won 3
Player C has won 3
Player D has won 0

If player B's last match is against Player A, and player A/B are good friends, that means Player A could throw the match allowing Player B to enter the Brackets, instead of having a B v C match to determine it.

I hope I explained that well enough.

swordsaint

Smash Master
The only issue I see with the pool system is it can be thrown, although I doubt anyone would do that. Still look at it like this.
Pool 1
Player B has won 3
Player C has won 3
Player D has won 0

If player B's last match is against Player A, and player A/B are good friends, that means Player A could throw the match allowing Player B to enter the Brackets, instead of having a B v C match to determine it.

It's a possibilty that can be utilised, but I would like to think that people won't use such low tactics to make it through yes? Also I fixed the figures. :p

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
What are you talking about Saint? Those figures were correct all along *shifty eyes*

Personally I can't see any of the people who are regulars at the tournaments doing so, I'm more worried about if the scene expands.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Actually highly amusing considering I was going to end my last post with
"Personally I can't see any of the people who are regulars at the tournaments doing so, isn't that right Trav"

But decided to change it... >>: YOU STOLE MY PUNCHLINE!

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Pool 1
Player B has won 3
Player C has won 3
Player D has won 0

That's why you bag the hell out of people who may be doing it_ personally if someone decides to cheat i wouldn't have any problems throwing them out of the tournament altogether_ Tough love keeps the system fair_ Also this pool system sounds a bit like soccer tbh_

Personally i hate your new money system Vlade_ Competitions have always been about winning and it should be kept competitive by keeping the prize pool divided only by 1st and 2nd (possibly 3rd, thinking of you here Ric)_ I can understand your argument, but everybody knows that winning gets the prize and i haven't yet seen a problem with people socializing or making an effort to be part of the community_

No need to change what already works to make it 'fair', sport does it, so should we_ Winning should yield rewards and so be it if Sam has remained a constant winner, he obviously deserves it if his results are frequent_ Keep the competition blazing so people want to win_

I'll have my laptop in August, so might be able to organise recordings etc_

Alzi

Smash Master
Two people recording would be great. The only matches i really want recorded of me is vsing sam in a toon link ditto. lol.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
That's why you bag the hell out of people who may be doing it_ personally if someone decides to cheat i wouldn't have any problems throwing them out of the tournament altogether_ Tough love keeps the system fair_ Also this pool system sounds a bit like soccer tbh_

Personally i hate your new money system Vlade_ Competitions have always been about winning and it should be kept competitive by keeping the prize pool divided only by 1st and 2nd (possibly 3rd, thinking of you here Ric)_ I can understand your argument, but everybody knows that winning gets the prize and i haven't yet seen a problem with people socializing or making an effort to be part of the community_

No need to change what already works to make it 'fair', sport does it, so should we_ Winning should yield rewards and so be it if Sam has remained a constant winner, he obviously deserves it if his results are frequent_ Keep the competition blazing so people want to win_
While it makes sense and while I do understand your point of view, with the system that Vlade proposed, the person coming 1st actually makes more money with this new system than the standard 60/30/10. This is because with an increase of entry fee of $5 (from $5 to $10) that is a doubling of prize pot, for it to be equal, the 1st person would get 1/2 of 60% which is 30%. Since 1st gets 48% with the new system, that is 18% of the pot higher than being equal of the old system.

An example.
30 people with New system: Pot is $300, 1st gets $144.
30 people with Old system: Pot is $150, 1st gets $90.

144/90 = 1.6 and as you may have noticed, 48/30 = 1.6 also.

What does this mean? It means that the new system Vlade proposed gives the player coming 1st an extra 60% winnings than what they would get with the old system. 2nd place would get an extra 46% and 3rd place would get an extra 180%. So while it does spread the money around to higher placing contestants, the 'competition for 1st place' is actually stronger. The downside however is that those that do not place highly lose out on $10 instead of $5 :p

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Well it wouldnt be fair for one. You would also have to then pay after the tournament is over instead of starting which causes problems with registration. It wouldnt be hard to enter a tournament and then leave without paying once your knocked out. Basically it would be a disaster

Alzi

Smash Master
True.

I think we should pay before even entering the room that way we know that no one has sneakly entered somthing without paying. It will also make the registrations run quicker.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
While it makes sense and while I do understand your point of view, with the system that Vlade proposed, the person coming 1st actually makes more money with this new system than the standard 60/30/10. This is because with an increase of entry fee of $5 (from $5 to $10) that is a doubling of prize pot, for it to be equal, the 1st person would get 1/2 of 60% which is 30%. Since 1st gets 48% with the new system, that is 18% of the pot higher than being equal of the old system.

An example.
30 people with New system: Pot is $300, 1st gets $144.
30 people with Old system: Pot is $150, 1st gets $90.

144/90 = 1.6 and as you may have noticed, 48/30 = 1.6 also.

What does this mean? It means that the new system Vlade proposed gives the player coming 1st an extra 60% winnings than what they would get with the old system. 2nd place would get an extra 46% and 3rd place would get an extra 180%. So while it does spread the money around to higher placing contestants, the 'competition for 1st place' is actually stronger. The downside however is that those that do not place highly lose out on $10 instead of $5 :p
Thanks for clarifying this Sam_ I probably also didn't clarify myself by stating to keep the system (including payments) as is_ If that is the case, then i can see validity in this new proposal, although this may force tournaments to be held on a monthly basis_

I'm still wanting to organise a 'smashfest' in between tournaments_ That should lead to a community event every 2 weeks_

Vlade

Social Outcast
Samuel pretty much pointed out what I had in mind, since we're increasing the entry fee the first place winner gets more money anyway.

Bob, be my guest and organise a smashfest ;)

I would organise one (my dad would actually probably let me) but I wouldn't be able to have more than 6 people or so. 10 at the most, but we'll have to see. It would be much better if someone else organised the smashfests since I'm organising the tournaments ;) But I'll actually ask my dad if enough people are interested (note that I can't have more than 10 people round, and it needs to be a reasonable balance of 'kids' and 'adults' so my parents aren't concerned).

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Yeah Vlade i would love to host Smashfest/ co-host tourneys, but my main qualm is finding a central venue which i am still in the process of_ In otherwords i forget sometimes when i'm caught up in school work >_>

Smashfests would probably require a small entrance fee if held at a venue, but will hopefully allow for more events and even my favourite, PIZZA (or other takeaway for people who are pizza racists)_ This should hopefully give people more time for MM's and side events (Tets vs Cap etc)_

My only issue is finding a viable venue so it could be another month or 2_

Vlade

Social Outcast
Who's up for a Tatsunoko vs Capcom tournament? :D

Ideally smashfests aren't held at a venue, but if they are then the fee should be no more than $5. After all, what they're for are for people to hone their skills, get to know each other more, and build the community.

I have no idea to start when looking for a central venue :S

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Smashfests sound good, curse you perth and your lack of venues!

Tatsunoko vs Capcom probs wouldn't be my thing I just mash buttons and hope in those sorts of games. *cough* N64 tournament.

Richard7

Smash Ace
A Tatsunoko vs Capcom tournament doesn't sound very possible atm, I think only like 2 people have played it. Everyone else would get owned. Unless its possible to win by mashing buttons while spinning the control stick around.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Real men make their own sigs and avvies.
Tatsunoko you can button mash yet it wont do much, just think your play street fighter and its good fun XD.
As for venus I've looked on the net and no luck really, I guess the best bet would be to phone places.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
i looked at it. it was a complete waste of time. also a waste of alzi's time. WTH alzi?
Seriously kill yourself and save me the trouble. Who the **** do you think you are to tell people what they enjoy doing is a waster of time? If you dont appreciate his art then don't comment on it, artists put alot f effort into their work and thats their choice. Just because you have nothing better to do with your time don't go around insulting others to make your pitiful life seem less miserable. I seriously wonder why you're still here, go pay some people off with your parents money to be your friend and pretend they can tolerate your attitude and ego and leave us in peace.

Basically either stop being a complete ****ing ******** or leave.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Seriously kill yourself and save me the trouble. Who the **** do you think you are to tell people what they enjoy doing is a waster of time? If you dont appreciate his art then don't comment on it, artists put alot f effort into their work and thats their choice. Just because you have nothing better to do with your time don't go around insulting others to make your pitiful life seem less miserable. I seriously wonder why you're still here, go pay some people off with your parents money to be your friend and pretend they can tolerate your attitude and ego and leave us in peace.

Regardless of how disturbingly mean this is....it is also undeniably ( I spelt that wrong didnt I?) absolutely hilarious at the same time :)

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Trav I lost it at the first line of that sentance, but i do agree, the day he pisses off, I'll party. As for antigames I was going to then I found out skill was going and made other plans.

Oh and hands off Trav's mine!

And Elton we'll stop bugging you when you stop beinng a stuck up egotistical *insert offensive word here*. All you ever do is talk yourself up about how good you are at brawl and when you go to tournaments all you do is to stick to your little crowd, talk about how great you are and insult people, call certain people a "bas tard" (Yeah I heard you say that) because you can't understand them when their reading the tournamnet listings. I'm sorry but if you ever wish to get somewhere in life, you need to wake up, realise your not god's gift to whatever and stop being a *offensive word* to people who aren't your nationality. I'm sorry but I'll honestly go as far to say I cannot stand you.

Rant over!

Alzi

Smash Master
Owned

<3 Travis

I did that picture just for you. I could rage and get angry but no need for that i just calmy did my self a picture to show my anger in a diffrent way.

Muzga

Smash Ace
Here in perth we choose to stick with psychological violence.
Why break a persons arm when you can break their spirit

Top Bottom