• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vulcan GameBox Brawl Tournament II - Birmingham, AL - Aug. 9, 08

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Please Pre-Register at All is Brawl, so we'll have your info loaded into tio prior to the tournament starting.
All is Brawl Link: http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=1842

Singles and Doubles.

If you guys have any suggestions to help make our tournament better than the last one, go ahead and let us know. :)

$5 door fee
$10 singles
$20 teams

Payout:
70/20/10

Doors open at 9:00 a.m.

Be sure to show up early for practice and friendlies because we need to change back to game center mode after the tournament ends.

Doubles starts at 11:00 a.m.
Singles starts after doubles.

Note: We have 9 37" HD TV's at the venue, but only 2 Wiis.
Wiis and SD TV's would be appreciated if you can bring them.

5192 Caldwell Mill Rd, Birmingham, AL 35244

Google Maps Link

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Rules

Teams Format: Double Elimination
Matches best 2 of 3; finals best 3 of 5

Singles Format: Round Robin Pools to seed a Double Elimination Bracket
Matches best 2 of 3; finals best 3 of 5

Game Settings:
3 stock, 7 minute limit
Ties broken by lives/percentage
Items OFF, Smash Balls OFF
Team Attack ON
Shared stocks allowed in teams

Matches

Stages:
Neutral Stages: These will be on random. Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks available: Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon, Halberd, Pokémon Stadium 2, Castle Siege, Pictochat, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Jungle Japes, Pokémon Stadium

All other stages are BANNED.

B.Y.O.C.: Bring your own Controller.

Other:
No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage.

Stage elimination: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the legal stages to be chosen at the beginning of the set.

Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters.

Double blind for character selection may be used if a player wants to.

Other Rules & Special Issues
Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for removed L&R springs, cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.

Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them, or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.

Tactics such as Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to manuever around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. Judges will be on the tournament floor can be called in at any time to enforce this rule during a match.

You are responsible to bring your own controller. Any controller is suitable for this tournament (Wii Remote/Nunchuck/Classic), just make sure people around you are not also syncing at the same time as you.

3GOD

Smash Ace
If you guys have any suggestions to help make our tournament better than the last one, go ahead and let us know. :)
I would like to see either round robin pools or a few swiss rounds to seed the brackets for singles. If it's a time issue for the owner, I could understand since he's obviously running a business and needs to make money. Even if the door fee was raised to $7 or something, I think it would be worth it for the extra rounds of play.

Also, I personally don't have a problem with $15 entry fees, but $10 might be easier on some people if these are going to happen frequently.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
^--- all of what 3GOD said. $15 is fun and all, but school is starting and... well... books cost money now, apparently. Also, change the graphic to reflect the date change.

Also, yay for being on the 9th! It's an end of summer bash for me~

Oh yeah. And yes, I'll be going. Not like I have much of a choice anyways. Not like I have anything better to do.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
This tourney first, then marines for me.

Entry fee is a bit higher than the usual but I'll assume its for profit. Which is understandable.

Also, Mississippi won't go down so easy next time. =O

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Also, Mississippi won't go down so easy next time. =O
Yeah, I'm not content with our performance last time either, doing well in teams is nice, but I'm gonna kick it up a notch and beat some more dudes. I won't be so weak against D3's and 205's Diddy next time.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Note: We have 9 37" HD TV's at the venue, but only 2 Wiis.
Wiis and SD TV's would be appreciated if you can bring them.
One other thing...it would be really cool if the GameBox place could invest in a couple of component video cables for the Wii. I think they are like $30 a piece and drastically reduce the amount of lag on the TVs. I'll try to bring mine next time so we can have more TVs without lag.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I would love to see Swiss style tournament as well. We had some good players knocked out by players that are just really poor against a specific charater. (not me, i had overall poor performance). Swiss would be really good for the rock paper scissors of the Brawl roster.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
can we please do 10 dollar entries geezus i spent 70 dollars paying for me and my brothers entry fees. since when did 15 bucks become the standard.
i'd like to see a swiss tourney too. this tournament lasted like what six hours? theres time. just enough to cut to a sixteen man bracket. you could even do small pools which tio could handle.

also. if you gonna have it, put melee on a regular tv this time pl0x

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
All right, I believe we will be reducing entry fees to $10. And doing a normal pools format unless I can figure out how Tio handles Swiss. I'll keep petitioning for more time after the tournament for friendlies etc.

3GOD

Smash Ace
All right, I believe we will be reducing entry fees to $10. And doing a normal pools format unless I can figure out how Tio handles Swiss. I'll keep petitioning for more time after the tournament for friendlies etc.
Sweet deal on the lower fee and pools (they're just as good as Swiss really). You should probably do like 4 pools and take the top 4 out of each pool to seed a bracket of 16 (of course, this might vary depending on the number of people showing up).

Also, I'm planning to come to this and bring my setup along with a component cable to reduce lag on at least one of the LCDs. I expect Mookie, Baky, and Beastwood will also be coming with me.

MS will own face this time.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
All right, entry fees are now officially 10/20. We'll have Round Robin pools for singles, and doors open at 9:00 for practice. We need to change back to game center mode after the tournament ends, so there won't be much of any opportunity to play games with other people after the tournament ends unless you buy time.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I might come >_>

I want to go to something and see doodz... I havent' seen Mookie in forever nor 3GOD
Last time there was a Melee setup, but no one there played very well (except Mookie, but he wanted Brawl practice while he had people who were good at Brawl around).

@George, I have been reading some stuff on stages, and I thought you might want to try this method for choosing the initial stage. Basically, you start with 7 neutral stages (can be done with 5 or any odd number):

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium
Castle Siege (or Halberd)

Then, each player takes turns striking one stage until there is only one stage remaining. This leaves the "neutral" more to the choice of the opponents rather than random chance. Each opponent gets to strike 3 stages, and any dispute over who strikes the first stage can be settled with Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Of course, each player would still get one stage ban which would be in effect for the entire set. The only question I have is if the ban of a neutral counts as a "strike" as well. I would say that if a player wants to outright ban a neutral, it should have to be their first strike.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Last time there was a Melee setup, but no one there played very well (except Mookie, but he wanted Brawl practice while he had people who were good at Brawl around).
I wouldn't call that well, that was the first time I had played Melee since like early February, I played TERRIBLY.

Baky

Smash Journeyman

@George, I have been reading some stuff on stages, and I thought you might want to try this method for choosing the initial stage. Basically, you start with 7 neutral stages (can be done with 5 or any odd number):

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium
Castle Siege (or Halberd)

Then, each player takes turns striking one stage until there is only one stage remaining. This leaves the "neutral" more to the choice of the opponents rather than random chance. Each opponent gets to strike 3 stages, and any dispute over who strikes the first stage can be settled with Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Of course, each player would still get one stage ban which would be in effect for the entire set. The only question I have is if the ban of a neutral counts as a "strike" as well. I would say that if a player wants to outright ban a neutral, it should have to be their first strike.
I like the random button more lol

This does looking a great idea though.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I wouldn't call that well, that was the first time I had played Melee since like early February, I played TERRIBLY.
Well, compared to most of the other Melee action I saw, you were doing ok...but yeah, you were definitely rusty.
I like the random button more lol

This does looking a great idea though.
So you like both ways of choosing a stage? I had never heard of the stage strike method until recently, and it intrigues me to be able to not play on certain stages the first game of a set.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i wanted to play mookie/3god in melee but there wasn't much time, plus it was a laggy tv

and they have sheduled me to work this day but i will try to get off

reflexxxxx we got to get some friendlies in

i will need a team mate i come

3GOD

Smash Ace
i wanted to play mookie/3god in melee but there wasn't much time, plus it was a laggy tv
We'll get some Melee in this time. Last time I hooked up Melee to my non-laggy TV near the end and played some dudes...I would prefer to not play Melee until I'm out of/won the tourney. I find the transition makes me do weird things for a while.

Honestly, I think it's harder to go back to Melee than Melee to Brawl, not because of L-canceling or wavedashing, but because I can't "hug" the edge or reverse aerial rush in Melee. Also, it takes a little while to adjust to the timing on the ledge in Melee, and my Ganondorf (Melee) relies on his fancy ledge game a lot.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'll do Melee after the tournament, but don't expect much. I had about an hour or so to shake rust off so I can play Falcon somewhat decently, and for some reason I can play Falco O_o. I'm still rusty as hell, and it makes me sad.

@Reflex
I want to play you mangz. I got to play your bro Elev8 in friendlies at the end of the tournament last time. Hopefully I will meet you guys in brackets, although these past few weeks I haven't gotten much Brawl practice in so I'm not really expecting to do all that tremendously well.

So you like both ways of choosing a stage? I had never heard of the stage strike method until recently, and it intrigues me to be able to not play on certain stages the first game of a set.
I REALLY like this method because I will know what stage I'm playing on. I always hated that random meant that I didn't know what stage it was, and for some reason everyone was so hardcore adament against randoming the stage, backing out, and then choosing your character and going back to the stage.

3GOD

Smash Ace
@Reflex
I want to play you mangz. I got to play your bro Elev8 in friendlies at the end of the tournament last time. Hopefully I will meet you guys in brackets, although these past few weeks I haven't gotten much Brawl practice in so I'm not really expecting to do all that tremendously well.

I REALLY like this method because I will know what stage I'm playing on. I always hated that random meant that I didn't know what stage it was, and for some reason everyone was so hardcore adament against randoming the stage, backing out, and then choosing your character and going back to the stage.
You should skip work on Friday (your last day I think you said), and we can Brawl a lot that day. You want to team up again or should I look for someone else to partner with?

Also, after careful consideration, I think we should only use Whamacker Station for the initial stage...in fact, it should be the only legal stage.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Also, after careful consideration, I think we should only use Whamacker Station for the initial stage...in fact, it should be the only legal stage.
I don't get this. D:

Does this have something to do with Will's house?

3GOD

Smash Ace
It's a custom stage created by Mookie and/or Beastwood...you should play on it sometime.

Milln

Smash Champion
Baky, Mookie, and Reflex? Wtf. Sign me up right the hell now.

Now to hope I get the day off I need so I can come bug you all.

I can bring a Wii and/or 26" LCD tv.

and Mario Kart Wii if you all wanna get destroyed in it. >,>

And Wii Play. Wii Play money matches imo, ftw.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Well George, the number of people has seemed to have increase dramatically. Friendlies would be great after the tourney and I'm sure there are a bunch of people interested in them.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm confirmed, and I'll actually be able to take my car for once! (My parents let my brother use it out-of-town, but not me? =/ ) I want to test my new Sheik.

Also, I'm open for plenty of friendlies and/or money matches. <3

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking about bringing my std. def TV to aid in the war against lag. If it ends up not geting any use, though, I'll donate it for Melee.

Also, I can maybe sorta house if some outa-towners really needs a place to crash.

vgb-matt

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, glad to see a bunch of you are coming back for our second tourney. Awesome. We will pick a date for the September Brawl and have some fliers ready for Saturday.

If anyone is interested, GameBox has an all-night LAN Party every Friday. Technically you could swing by Friday night and game all night into the wii-hours (i know) and catch some Zzz's in the back of the LAN center before the tourney. Last Friday was lotsa fun.

Anyway, thought it might be a good idea for end of Summer bash b4 some of you take off after Summer... See you guys Sat.

-Matt

nice1

Smash Lord
I'm confirmed, and I'll actually be able to take my car for once! (My parents let my brother use it out-of-town, but not me? =/ ) I want to test my new Sheik.

Also, I'm open for plenty of friendlies and/or money matches. <3
u are always open for everything:chuckle:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
We'll get some Melee in this time. Last time I hooked up Melee to my non-laggy TV near the end and played some dudes...I would prefer to not play Melee until I'm out of/won the tourney. I find the transition makes me do weird things for a while.

Honestly, I think it's harder to go back to Melee than Melee to Brawl, not because of L-canceling or wavedashing, but because I can't "hug" the edge or reverse aerial rush in Melee. Also, it takes a little while to adjust to the timing on the ledge in Melee, and my Ganondorf (Melee) relies on his fancy ledge game a lot.

I agree about waiting after the tournament. I either play before or after, but not during.

but I think its harder going from melee to brawl, because I keep trying to jc my grabs. making me do that ******** jump-dodge. but that doesn't really affect the outcomes THAT much.

i never had a problem with accidentaly l-canceling/not l-canceling

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
Currently trying to coerce my fellow Mid Tennessee-ers to go.

And Chad, there will be at least one Melee set up at some point. I promise you that!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It's a custom stage created by Mookie and/or Beastwood...you should play on it sometime.
LOL. Well I love the stage, but good luck convincing people to use custom stages. For those that don't know, it's more like old FD with a single platform above it, but it isn't gay like Yoshi's stage is, it's high up so that it doesn't present a "CAMP IN TEH MIDDLE" syndrome. Actually the ledge above is a great way to escape from camping as you can go to the platform to evade.

Good stuffs, although it looks dumbtarded.

3GOD

Smash Ace
This place is gonna be packed...we need a lot of people to bring Wii/TV/Brawl/Melee.

Top Bottom