• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Recorder - Mewtwo Video & Critique Thread

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze

Hey everyone! I recently decided to switch over fully to maining Mewtwo instead of having him as a pocket. I loved playing him, but after losing interest in Pac-Man and the recent patch I decided to give him a try. These videos are from our school's smash club's first weekly of the semester. The first video is against the 2nd ranked PR player in WV. I'm currently ranked 9th.

Critiques would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
Awesome work, especially with the Link match. I'm no expert but if I were to offer my 2 cents then it would be to watch your ledge getups (something I'm trying to work on myself). Try jumping right over or even dipping a little before a rising u-air (at high enough percents that can kill from the ground) :)
Thanks for the kind words!

I rewatched those games, and you're right, I used too much neutral getups from the ledge, and got punished for them. I definitely could have used more drop down uairs (I should know this as a Yoshi main, ugh), and the like to mix things up. I got a little nervous since it was my first time using Mewtwo in bracket and didn't go for the flashy djc disables from the ledge like I've practiced.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
https://youtu.be/7bMpwlWQqkY
My other match from last night.

I feel that sword fighters pose a moderate threat to mewtwo as both are trying the same strategy. The problem here is mewtwos tail though plays like a sword fighter but has a hurtbox. This is critical forcing me to change styles to more of a shadow ball playstyle to further apply pressure at a further distance since mewtwos tail isnt good unless you want it chopped off lol.
One small thing, only 25%ish of Mewtwo's tail is a hurtbox. There is a thread somewhere on the boards about it.

Browny

Smash Hater
One small thing, only 25%ish of Mewtwo's tail is a hurtbox. There is a thread somewhere on the boards about it.
Thanks, yeah its here

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-misconceptions-about-mewtwos-hurtbox-end-here.416127/

!Blue! !Blue! fun fact, the disjoint on mewtwos tail with bair, dtilt and ftilt actually outranges the disjoint on marths aerials and tilts. Only marths uair has a larger disjoint than mewtwos uair.

Only Ike, King DeDeDe and Shulk out-disjoint Mewtwo on most of their attacks. Cloud does on some, but not on others.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430

Not a whole lot but a quick smash ladder bout of practice. Im still working on things, and I was trying some new stuff out here.

!Blue!

Smash Cadet
Thanks, yeah its here

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-misconceptions-about-mewtwos-hurtbox-end-here.416127/

!Blue! !Blue! fun fact, the disjoint on mewtwos tail with bair, dtilt and ftilt actually outranges the disjoint on marths aerials and tilts. Only marths uair has a larger disjoint than mewtwos uair.

Only Ike, King DeDeDe and Shulk out-disjoint Mewtwo on most of their attacks. Cloud does on some, but not on others.
I was playing tweek at our house the other day he used ryu and shoryuken'ed my spaced dtitl. Ionno about the 100% property but ok

Browny

Smash Hater
yeah it probably wasnt max range.

Ryu has something interesting with his dsmash as well where it looks like he is out-disjointing mewtwos dtilt but actually the move is so fast that he sweeps from standing, to max range in like 2 frames which catches mewtwos tail as he finishes his own dtilt and draws his hurtbox back in.

That was the only of ryus moves I found that can actually hit a perfectly spaced dtilt but it needs to be almost frame perfect, coming out 1-2 frames after mewtwos dtilt so ryus dsmash hitbox starts the isntant mewtwos dtilt hitbox disappears.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I was playing tweek at our house the other day he used ryu and shoryuken'ed my spaced dtitl. Ionno about the 100% property but ok
The info in that thread is pretty sketchy so I'd probably ignore it if I was you. I'm not even sure if mewtwo's moves are truly disjointed or the size of the hurtbox in his tail when he does attacks. There's times when you'll be hit out of dtilt especially VS ryu which makes the MU a nightmare IMO. His dsmash blows up our dtilt for free basically. Which makes controlling the ground pretty hard.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqAgLtFnRFU

That first stock xD.

Also for those of you wondering F-Air x 4 at really low %s is an actual true combo on some chars. Specifically those who fall fast enough where they are too close to the ground to air dodge (between first and second F-Air), like Diddy, Sheik, Falcon, etc.

It's also around +3 on frames, so anyone who doesn't have a frame 3/4 aerial can ONLY air dodge to avoid it, otherwise they get hit by it. It's pretty damn good.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Oh god, that last round was free as hell. I loved it. XD

So, question... By chance, does anyone happen to have a 3DS Capture device? I'd like to make video files of a few of my replays and upload them as one bulk video on Youtube, but I'd prefer not to use a webcam to do so.

I'd be willing to pay them a couple of bucks or so on Paypal for the trouble, or whatever. It would be a huge help to me.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqAgLtFnRFU

That first stock xD.

Also for those of you wondering F-Air x 4 at really low %s is an actual true combo on some chars. Specifically those who fall fast enough where they are too close to the ground to air dodge (between first and second F-Air), like Diddy, Sheik, Falcon, etc.

It's also around +3 on frames, so anyone who doesn't have a frame 3/4 aerial can ONLY air dodge to avoid it, otherwise they get hit by it. It's pretty damn good.
Good stuff, Raykz.
The Diddy was pretty mediocre though - he basically just threw out attacks everywhere.

Sonicninja115

Oh god, that last round was free as hell. I loved it. XD

So, question... By chance, does anyone happen to have a 3DS Capture device? I'd like to make video files of a few of my replays and upload them as one bulk video on Youtube, but I'd prefer not to use a webcam to do so.

I'd be willing to pay them a couple of bucks or so on Paypal for the trouble, or whatever. It would be a huge help to me.
Doesn't the 3ds have a straight to Youtube thing? Or do you not want to use that?

New vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVRxF5j6WEA
Nair pop-up stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89bsuu4-SBM
under the stage stuff

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
It might be. When I click on replays, one of the options is to send to youtube. Replay, send, send to youtube.
Yeah, I just checked. It's Wii U only. I suppose it makes sense, what with the two screen setup on the 3DS and all. Puts me in a tough situation. I can either spend 300 dollars for a 3DS Capture or like 350 dollars for a Wii U and Smash 4. XD

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Good stuff, Raykz.
The Diddy was pretty mediocre though - he basically just threw out attacks everywhere.
He's actually a decent player. I was beating him pretty badly but he was holding his own on some games and actually fighting back. I don't know if he just got too shaken up after the 4 F-Airs, but trying to recover with Up-B above stage 3 times in a row is pretty horrendous. I mean, he didn't even use Side-B.

But I just had to save that replay. I was practicing that 4 F-Air chain the other day just to get it right and I loved how well I did it and how I ended the stock right after.

You can also get a Side-B instead of a 4th F-Air and try going for the 4th F-Air after the Side-B, it's pretty cool but obviously air dodge-able by the opponent.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
He's actually a decent player. I was beating him pretty badly but he was holding his own on some games and actually fighting back. I don't know if he just got too shaken up after the 4 F-Airs, but trying to recover with Up-B above stage 3 times in a row is pretty horrendous. I mean, he didn't even use Side-B.

But I just had to save that replay. I was practicing that 4 F-Air chain the other day just to get it right and I loved how well I did it and how I ended the stock right after.

You can also get a Side-B instead of a 4th F-Air and try going for the 4th F-Air after the Side-B, it's pretty cool but obviously air dodge-able by the opponent.
I don't know anyone who wouldn't get thrown off by four forward airs from Mewtwo. That combo does around, what? 45-50 damage?
Plus, after you do it, it makes you look like Sheik.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I didn't know you had a Mewtwo, Katakiri Katakiri . Katakiri's Mewtwo vs. GenericallyNamed's Cloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6khufSfKJp8. How was the tournament? :p
Yeah he's currently my secondary for Mario, Luigi, Sonic, & Diddy. Characters MK hates. I went all Mewtwo for that tournament tho to dive head-first into his MU spread.

I REALLY like his Mario MU and I understand his Rosa MU enough that I shouldn't lose if I'm stuck with him on a CP switch; same goes for Ryu.
But I can't even fathom how M2 deals with Sheik's F-Air pressure. I feel like I'm missing something there.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah he's currently my secondary for Mario, Luigi, Sonic, & Diddy. Characters MK hates. I went all Mewtwo for that tournament tho to dive head-first into his MU spread.

I REALLY like his Mario MU and I understand his Rosa MU enough that I shouldn't lose if I'm stuck with him on a CP switch; same goes for Ryu.
But I can't even fathom how M2 deals with Sheik's F-Air pressure. I feel like I'm missing something there.
Disable can be surprisingly effective at deflecting short-hop approaches when used at a sufficient distance. Fair can clash with it in an air-to-air scenario, and if she spaces it badly she can eat a grab or OOS usmash. But often the best answer to pressure with Mewtwo is to flee. He has the speed and airdodge to do it.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Congrats Blue!

Katakiri Katakiri Utilt? Perfect Shield Dtilt/Grab? I use these options usually, but I don't play good Shieks much.
F-Air should outrange both U-Tilt and a Grab. If you're able to land those then the Sheik isn't spacing correctly.

P Shield D-Tilt is what you should be aiming for but it isn't as easy to do, specially since Sheik has the option to land into jab instead of just F-Airing again.

You could also try going for fancy PP stuff.

Last edited:

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
UTilt can still be pretty useful against the abomination that is Sheik's FAir. In a few cases Mewtwo's hurtbox should lower and the disjointed tail hitbox should snag Sheik's hurtbox. I was having the occasional success with it against a very good sheik player in our region, and he has some of the best FAir spacing I've ever seen. The risk/reward ratio is pretty skewed in Sheik's favor though, even if you DO manage to time it incredibly well. I'm thinking UTurn UTilt/DTilt might help with the spacing.

BAir still seems like a viable option. Slow it may be, but I'm pretty sure it has the range advantage over FAir. If you have enough drift while retreating, or use confusion to GTFO I would think you could avoid any punish, but you would probably still be at disadvantage.

Other thoughts:
DJ FAir at certain heights
Angled up FTilt

Most options take pretty strict timing/spacing. Or you could just prioritize getting away and getting full SB ASAP.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Hello people, I've been using Mewtwo since launch in friendlies, however I began using them in tournaments the other day. Only one match was recorded, however it should be apparent that I'm overlooking some options and general errors so any advice is appreciated - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqCCoxDohM . I ended up coming 9/138.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Hello people, I've been using Mewtwo since launch in friendlies, however I began using them in tournaments the other day. Only one match was recorded, however it should be apparent that I'm overlooking some options and general errors so any advice is appreciated - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqCCoxDohM . I ended up coming 9/138.
I saw this video the other day I forgot to post it but your Mewtwo is very on point keep it up

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Would anyone object if the video I upload are 3DS ones recorded on a camera? I haven't been able to find anyone with a 3DS Capture that I could pay to capture them better.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Would anyone object if the video I upload are 3DS ones recorded on a camera? I haven't been able to find anyone with a 3DS Capture that I could pay to capture them better.
Na I'm pretty sure some others have uploaded like that already.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
New video! I made this a while ago but forgot to post it. It needs a bit more labbing vs. Floaty characters, but otherwise it true combos against most of the cast as of now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ld-BoL7FZ8
Seems like slightly liberal use of "true". Have you tested what happens if they DI up? Might give them time to get out of it. And clearly they could also just double jump away, which is what will happen with anyone who has learned the matchup. Although, the double jump could potentially turn it into a situation where you can shadow ball their landing.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Seems like slightly liberal use of "true". Have you tested what happens if they DI up? Might give them time to get out of it. And clearly they could also just double jump away, which is what will happen with anyone who has learned the matchup. Although, the double jump could potentially turn it into a situation where you can shadow ball their landing.
As long as they airdodge, it works. I use true so that people will understand it works. Instead of situational combo that works mostly but there is a way out.

Also, as long as they airdodge and you react appropriately, they can't get out. they suffer too much ending lag on the airdodge. Some floatier characters might be able to get out at kill percents, but not many.

Also, I was labbing what to do if the opponent jumps away and I found a couple of things, but I have to test them more.

Top Bottom