• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Recorder - Mewtwo Video & Critique Thread

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I was playing him a tiny bit before the patch; all the changes make him feel like a much more cohesive character, and I'm interested in using him for real. Just got a lot to learn.

Speaking of which, if anyone watching that has advice or something I should know, please don't hesitate to let me know.
That's cool there's a lot of stuff to mewtwo but I think it's mostly worth learning. Your mewtwo is on the right path and there's not really sny glaring holes that I can see. Here's somethings I think you can add to your game. Fastfall neutral air seems like it's pretty important after the patch since it true comboe into dtilt. There's some big combo you can get from it that can lead to death. When you SHAD you tended to always go forward just mix it up some so thst you don't become predictable with it. Fthrow vs yoshi isn't a good idea he csn DJ out of it. Dthriw to fsir isn't true just keep that in mind you'll ned a read afterwards to get any follow ups from it. Shadowball in neutral more it's a good move and mewtwo cwn chase behind it. Edgeguard with neutral air more it's probably his best edgeguard fr nair rips characters with bad recovery. If you feel that you're opponent is closing in on your landing don't be afraid to teleport it can be used to escape. Also don't be afraid to run away when you have the lead. It's one of the things meetwo is best at.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Here are some videos of my Mewtwo. I haven't touched FG in such a long time (namely after somebody pretty much told me to 'justleave') so I stayed off for a while. Going back I realise I have a lot to get used to dealing with lag, hence I make a fair few mistakes in the first stock of the second Cloud match. It was pretty much my first time dealing with Cloud.

vs Cloud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2di27NO52w

vs another Cloud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFI95PbQfZ0

Here is one of me vs @Nikes Sorry about the pauses, he was showing me things. His Yoshi is fairly hard to deal with but this was one of the better matches I did.

(pre-patch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoVBU8YFAA8

And finally me vs Browny Browny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH47W8vz4Lc

Advice/critique away!

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Hey, I made another Mewtwo vid, what do you guys think? I have to use the replay function, so they aren't that great, but I think they have there uses. Should I do more? I have a disable video I am trying to upload today...

Edit: Disable Vid.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Oh, I forgot to post this here. It may already be known, but, yeah:

Thanks for the vid! It was sorta known, but most people didn't put time into learning or labbing it. The most I have heard about it is a vid from April and a small section in my combo guide.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't like how you throw yourself at Cloud from the air. Floating down on top of people is not something Mewtwo should really ever do, imo.

Okay, so, when Cloud was recovering offstage and you were charging Shadow Ball, instead of letting him get back on stage for free, in order to get a fully charged SB, a better plan would be to fire a partially charged SB and gimp him.

I know you're playing online with lag, but try to attack with Fair to beat Cloud's side B spam. You break out of hitstun before the final hit.

You really started to move and attack much, much better on that second stock.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
hey ho! Can someone critique my mewtwo, please?
I'd love to hear the opinions of people who are more into the competetive scene than me :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUCLXl3NrfE
Seems to me you two were fairly evenly matched. The only thing that was a really bad choice on your part was going for the disrespect, since if things had gone slightly differently, they could have wall jumped and up Bed to recover after you hit them.

You both rolled a lot, but it's FG, so what do you expect? Seems you both respected each other about equally.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So my friend was practicing some editing for an upcoming montage and he included a clip of my M2. Now I actually have a question regarding this clip and it's about the consistently of getting the n-air to pull people off platforms. This clip was completely accidental and my capitalization was purely reactionary so it mad me wonder how useful this would be if I intentionally set it up.

Sonicninja115

So my friend was practicing some editing for an upcoming montage and he included a clip of my M2. Now I actually have a question regarding this clip and it's about the consistently of getting the n-air to pull people off platforms. This clip was completely accidental and my capitalization was purely reactionary so it mad me wonder how useful this would be if I intentionally set it up.
You can send people into tumble off a platform by only hitting with a certain amount, and then pulling away before the final hit. This will cause them to slide off, and go into a state where they cannot tech. This is great for Jab-locks, which I have a guide that I will put out relatively soon.

You can also use Bair, but only at low percents.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
You can send people into tumble off a platform by only hitting with a certain amount, and then pulling away before the final hit. This will cause them to slide off, and go into a state where they cannot tech. This is great for Jab-locks, which I have a guide that I will put out relatively soon.

You can also use Bair, but only at low percents.
Yea I'm aware of this I was more or less wondering what the timing may be for n-air to pull them off as I've had trouble recreating this.

Sonicninja115

Yea I'm aware of this I was more or less wondering what the timing may be for n-air to pull them off as I've had trouble recreating this.
You need to pull down while they are still above the platform. This should cause them to slide off.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Sumabato Niconico Qualifiers

Winner's Finals
Abadango (Pac-Man/Mewtwo) vs SH (Fox)
http://www.twitch.tv/dabuz18/v/31906844?t=02h39m04s
Goes Mewtwo game 3 and does wonderful, except for his tragic SD at the beginning.

Then Dabuz got off track and didn't watch Grand Finals where he apparently went Mewtwo the whole time. Hopefully they upload it to youtube.

Sonicninja115

Sumabato Niconico Qualifiers

Winner's Finals
Abadango (Pac-Man/Mewtwo) vs SH (Fox)
http://www.twitch.tv/dabuz18/v/31906844?t=02h39m04s
Goes Mewtwo game 3 and does wonderful, except for his tragic SD at the beginning.

Then Dabuz got off track and didn't watch Grand Finals where he apparently went Mewtwo the whole time. Hopefully they upload it to youtube.
Check SHI-G. I heard a couple of people mention it might be uploaded there. It is basically the vgbootcamp of Japan.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041

Browny

Smash Hater
I'll say the same thing I say to most people, try to make better use of your full charge shadowball.

Your matches vs EA seemed like a pretty hopeless outclassing, so I wont comment on that.

Vs Falcon, hes not going to give you much time to charge shadowball so when you have one, you need to make it count. Firing it from neutral is a waste because he can easily dodge it and it doesn't put much pressure on him. Falcon is a highly punishable character and his dash speed makes perfect shielding FCSB not exactly the easiest thing in the world. If you hold onto Shadow Ball for longer periods of time and only throwing it when Falcon commits to an approach, its going to make falcon think twice.

It seemed like he was unafraid of anything you were going to do and played with a lot of freedom because you rarely had shadowball charged as so often it was fired in scenarios were really, it had no chance of hitting.

Try to think of it like Warios waft. No one is scared of it at low charge and it makes literally no impact to any risk:reward mental calculations that the enemy makes, they aren't worried about a hard punish. If you hold onto FCSB more and use it at more opportune times it is like having a charged waft, now the enemy is scared to over commit to anything because they know they can be punished hard. But of course, the threat is only as good as actually hitting with it. Even if you fire it and it gets shielded again and again, at least you have done massive shield damage and the enemy is scared now. Much better than simply jumping over it from long range or shielding it from point blank which is a risky move on your part, any other powerful move is better in that situation.

The nair gimps were on point. Id say substitute every single dair attempt for a nair, same result with a higher chance of working.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
The nair gimps were on point. Id say substitute every single dair attempt for a nair, same result with a higher chance of working.
So you're saying to use n-air whenever you would normally attempt a meteor smash? Wouldn't that be mostly character dependent? I can see gimping characters like Falcon, Ganondorf, Cloud, and Little Mac with n-air over d-air, but for characters with good recoveries like Zelda, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Pikachu, I'd rather go for the d-air since they'd recover most of the time. And there are a lot of active frames on d-air now. Don't want to just neglect the move entirely.

Last edited:

gishfood

Smash Rookie
uhhh i guess i should post this... this matchup is really jank in general and there's a lot of mu specific things but i gotta try ya know?
Really please feel free to critique any of my mistakes or ask why i chose a certain move and when

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I managed to outplay a Villager player very well with my Mewtwo play over Winter break :)

3 matches, 2 stocked them every time. I'm proud of myself for overcoming a character I've struggled with for a long time.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
So I'm still relatively new to Mewtwo, but watching these videos I had a question that other M2 mains may be able to help me with.

Is disable just godlike at trading with certain things? Like I'm pretty sure I saw it trade with lemons and Falcon jab for free stuff. Does the actual hitbox come out instantly and stay out even if your hit? Sorry if this is the wrong place but it was somewhat relevant to the vids above.

Sonicninja115

So I'm still relatively new to Mewtwo, but watching these videos I had a question that other M2 mains may be able to help me with.

Is disable just godlike at trading with certain things? Like I'm pretty sure I saw it trade with lemons and Falcon jab for free stuff. Does the actual hitbox come out instantly and stay out even if your hit? Sorry if this is the wrong place but it was somewhat relevant to the vids above.
Disable is actually a projectile, thus it is pretty hard to clash with it. It might even be transcendent.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

It has some noticeable startup, faster than both his forward facing smashes but still not something you can just throw out in neutral and expect to always beat stuff (and that's before you consider it can't hit anyone facing away). But if you can disrupt or bait something from your opponents it can work wonders.

Sonicninja115

It has some noticeable startup, faster than both his forward facing smashes but still not something you can just throw out in neutral and expect to always beat stuff (and that's before you consider it can't hit anyone facing away). But if you can disrupt or bait something from your opponents it can work wonders.
Do you know how much LL characters experience from Airdodge?

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Do you know how much LL characters experience from Airdodge?
I believe 22f.

Interesting stuff on disable though. It looked like in the Megaman match that gishfood gishfood traded in between pellets to hit with the disable. Maybe I was seeing things, or maybe there is a 16f gap between some of MM's pellets. (I am NOT familiar with megaman lol)

gishfood

Smash Rookie
I believe 22f.

Interesting stuff on disable though. It looked like in the Megaman match that gishfood gishfood traded in between pellets to hit with the disable. Maybe I was seeing things, or maybe there is a 16f gap between some of MM's pellets. (I am NOT familiar with megaman lol)
no that was correct i'm pretty sure disable's transcendent. i didn't expect him to commit to fast fall pellet so i kinda just wanted to use it as a way to beat out fair and get spacing :T. that's why i buffered the roll lmao

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Been absent from the Mewtwo boards for quite a while but I thought I'd share a couple of sets with my Mewtwo.

Mewtwo vs Robin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lTilPsbhN4&list=PL0sOLnggBtw6Nu1Vb0AEN0f98n1c0t48_&index=5

Mewtwo vs. Captain Falcon/Ryu (theres no sound for this set because the recording stuffed up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywIxBf1Carg

If you've got any tips for me I'd be grateful since Im now going to be using all Mewtwo for tournaments instead of Pit with some Mewtwo.
That 2nd stock vs Robin in the first match was awesome my friend.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
A friend and mentor of mine recorded some matches vs JMiller, top 2 in the UK and arguably the best Luigi in Europe. His Mewtwo is incredibly fierce.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Hello Mewtwo community! I've been lurking the Mewtwo forum and trying to pick up a bit on improving with Mewtwo as a secondary. I love playing as some of the other Pokemon too (particularly Lucario, Greninja, and Charizard, but Pikachu and Jiggly not so much). I finally settled on Mewtwo because he's always been one of my favorite Pokemon since the Red/ Blue days and have been impressed seeing what other players (such as Mew^2) can do with him.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a video to show some of the concepts I am sort of picking up so far while also showing areas where I can definitely improve on.

For Glory :4falcon:

I admit this isn't a very good Captain, so it may explain why I landed so many f-airs. Having said that, I really like Mewtwo's f-air and it worked quite well here beating out several situations.

I think I have some basic concept of following up on d-tilts but there's more I could be doing, of course. (Thanks Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 for your latest combo videos!)

I was using u-throw early in the match, but I think it's wiser to rack up damage with f-throw then save a fresh u-throw as one possible kill move, right?

At 0:28, I liked how I could catch Captain as he ran away by using Confusion. "Get back here!"

Question: It seems like I automatically always want to use a d-smash when opponent is hit by Confusion. How do I know if that is the best option? I'd like to understand what the opponent can do when caught by Confusion, are my options based on amount of damage?

I love the reach on Mewtwo's b-air.

I think I need to spend some more time with Mewtwo and fight strong opponents. I was destroyed pretty badly by other FG players but didn't save the replays.

Also, I've seen mention of wave SB, what is that? I can reverse SB, but that's something else right?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Hey all, I've been a super lurker for years and only remembered my account details today, I wanted to share these funny clips from FG the day after christmas.

https://vid.me/CIJJ
Haha, I love your footstools. When Mewtwo is rude it is the funniest thing, because it's so in-character for him.

Been absent from the Mewtwo boards for quite a while but I thought I'd share a couple of sets with my Mewtwo.

Mewtwo vs Robin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lTilPsbhN4&list=PL0sOLnggBtw6Nu1Vb0AEN0f98n1c0t48_&index=5

Mewtwo vs. Captain Falcon/Ryu (theres no sound for this set because the recording stuffed up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywIxBf1Carg

If you've got any tips for me I'd be grateful since Im now going to be using all Mewtwo for tournaments instead of Pit with some Mewtwo.
Total destruction vs. Robin.

Against Falcon, you struggled the most. I can't agree with spamming Confusion as a way to try and stuff out Falcon's approach. That got you punished a lot.

Quick thinking in beating out Ryu's Focus Attack several times. I'd say try to hold onto Shadow Ball a bit longer; 25% in one hit is nothing to sneeze at! You need hefty damage like that to keep up with Ryu, who is so heavy and so dangerous at close range.

Overall you did great! I'll be keeping my eye on Saucy, the "best Mewtwo in Australia." :)

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

E.Lopez E.Lopez Confusion has set KB, so any option is always possible. However, instead of Dsmash I would suggest a jab-lock. As if you get a Dsmash you could of gotten a jab-lock-Disable to charged Dsmash or combo.

Fair is an amazing tool that cannot be overexaggerated. One of the best in the game.

If your opponent knows how to DI Fthrow, the best option is Bthrow/Uthrow. However, I would recommend looking up beefy smash doods video on why spamming is bad. As they explain the stale moves que. Basically, as long as you use 9 moves after Uthrow, it will be fresh for the kill. That is why fox mains will randomly start shooting lasers, each one takes a slot.

U throw might have better follow-up potential too.

Wave SB is a pain in the butt. I will try to make a vid/thread.

The second time you used Uthrow in that first stock was a waste. Falcon is heavy, and he was only at 120%. Try to wait until 135-140% before using it. 120% if you have 100% rage.

With Dtil follow-ups, most Mewtwo players only go for Fair-Uair or at 60+ just Uair. This is a good combo that is safe and leaves you in advantage. The harder combos rely on certain Dtilt hitboxes, thus, you have to know when you can pull them off. However, Rising Uair-Fair is rather easy as long as you know the percent range. Also, the Dtilt-Fair-Uair, the Uair is a frame trap of sorts. If they airdodge, they will suffer LL on the ground, allowing a follow-up. If they don't, you get free damage. If you space it correctly, they either have to airdodge or accept the damage.

Top Bottom