• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Recorder - Mewtwo Video & Critique Thread

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
So Mewtwo got featured again, apparently it is a guy named sparky.

He has some of the newer Mewtwo tech, so did one of you guys submit it?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 That was a very nice one, even if the Zelda player reacted pretty poorly to some things. What is the newer Mewtwo tech he is using? Didn't notice anything specific.

Sonicninja115

Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 That was a very nice one, even if the Zelda player reacted pretty poorly to some things. What is the newer Mewtwo tech he is using? Didn't notice anything specific.
He tried to do Nair-Bair and he did a SB buffer shield hop. There were a couple of other small things I noticed, they were just a bit more technical then someone could find out on their own.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
He tried to do Nair-Bair and he did a SB buffer shield hop. There were a couple of other small things I noticed, they were just a bit more technical then someone could find out on their own.
Aha now i see what you mean. I have never thought of doing djc SB buffer shield hop (what a long name) to get up from the ledge like he did there, looked pretty cool.

On a side note i like the name SB buffer shield hop, it's better than Instant Shadowball cancel which i called it initially in lack of a better name =P

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Aha now i see what you mean. I have never thought of doing djc SB buffer shield hop (what a long name) to get up from the ledge like he did there, looked pretty cool.

On a side note i like the name SB buffer shield hop, it's better than Instant Shadowball cancel which i called it initially in lack of a better name =P
The problem with it is that the acronym is SBBSH, which is insanely long...

Edit: Mewsquared Vids. try not to post the vids directly in the thread though, it apparently doesn't count as a view.

Vs. SSGuy (Megaman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtUNxAqvP9k
Vs. Slaps (Ike)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3LcE-R3EP0
Vs. Aerolink (Palutena)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_Bfrbqjo

Last edited:

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I have a whole playlist.
20 Mewtwo videos on it.

The three to look at are these:

For Glory Singles Chain Vs Flight, Mewtwo Vs Fox

For Glory Singles Chain Vs Jonny A, Mewtwo Vs Lucario

For Glory Singles Chain Vs Brandon, Mewtwo Vs Sheik

The last guy, Brandon, I played around 30 matches in a row, but only ended winning one. I didn't fare any better against him even with my mains.
If you look at the full playlist, most of the videos are from that set.

Now I'm pretty sure that there was a fair deal of connection advantage happening with those matches, and I'm going to stick with that story until demonstrated otherwise.
But on the slight possibility that there's actually something going on that I can learn from, I saved and uploaded all the replays I could. I definitely don't recommend watching all of them. But I went out of my way to make sure they are all in chronological order, so it should be easy to just skim through watching blips to pick up on bigger patterns which might have been causing me to consistently lose. Or at least that was the idea.

And, as a disclaimer.
I don't ask for feedback on matches that I do particularly well in, almost all of these are very poor.
That Lucario match was annoying. He taunts three times after all that spamming?..

Sonicninja115

Good match! You have good movement and you were making really good use of wave SB.

One thing is that you might want to try Confusion for aerial movement, not often, but it can be good to get away. Especially if Ryu is expecting you to land on a certain spot.

The last thing is that you might not want to go for quite as many smashes. There were one or two points were it probably would have been better/more optimal to go for a tilt or to use the time to charge.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Good match! You have good movement and you were making really good use of wave SB.

One thing is that you might want to try Confusion for aerial movement, not often, but it can be good to get away. Especially if Ryu is expecting you to land on a certain spot.

The last thing is that you might not want to go for quite as many smashes. There were one or two points were it probably would have been better/more optimal to go for a tilt or to use the time to charge.
Thanks for the advice man I'll try and keep this in mind.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's a video of this dude Zudenka vs Kudemo, apparently one of the best Docs in Europe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQ3PC4uU6A
That guy is really aggressive, though I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go against Doc. He may not combo Mewtwo very well but he still hits fast and hard. And would it really kill him to find some time to get a charged ball ready?

Actually, the way he uses shadow ball reminds of how I use hadoukens with Ryu.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

My day 1 Mewtwo (not counting the first couple of days after his release...)

Any critique or advice would be helpful :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

My day 1 Mewtwo (not counting the first couple of days after his release...)

Any critique or advice would be helpful :)
Just be less grab-happy in general, Mewtwo only uses them as a defence mechanism for the most part, use his tilts more for damage.

Also I am probably going to steal this video to use in another thread as it provides a great example of Disable's range.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Just be less grab-happy in general, Mewtwo only uses them as a defence mechanism for the most part, use his tilts more for damage.

Also I am probably going to steal this video to use in another thread as it provides a great example of Disable's range.
F-throw does 13 damage, which is more than his tilts, so wouldn't that be better? Or is there an advantage to using the tilts? (aside from the fact dtilt is a combo starter xD)

And, awesome, glad my video was inadvertedly of use XD

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

F-throw does 13 damage, which is more than his tilts, so wouldn't that be better? Or is there an advantage to using the tilts? (aside from the fact dtilt is a combo starter xD)

And, awesome, glad my video was inadvertedly of use XD
Dtilt and Utilt combo for about 20% every time. Plus, it is possible to DI Fthrow. If you DI up after 50%, the max is 8% After 80%ish it goes down to 6%

Dthrow also starts a tech chase situation. At higher percents it can even force your opponent to land on a platform for the free Usmash KO.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
So I've made a video of my Mewtwo play. It's kind of poor quality since I don't have the percents shown and I don't have a capture card. Hope it'll do though.

I mostly made this for Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 because we were talking about sharing replays so I made this. What do you think, Sonic?

Pardon the SD. This took a while to upload so I'm really going to be only leaving it at this. There's a lot more I know, just it's only one video.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Here's a video of this dude Zudenka vs Kudemo, apparently one of the best Docs in Europe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQ3PC4uU6A
In general, these players are usually very aggressive. Not saying it's the right way to play (esp. not a character like Mewtwo), but it's to be expected from them.

Zudenka does not main Mewtwo or play him much. He's a Yoshi main. He's still a good player.

And yeah, Kudemo is a good Doc. The only other Docs from Europe that do well with him are Skelerex (from Switzerland, like Kudemo) and Caste (Spain).

Sonicninja115

So I've made a video of my Mewtwo play. It's kind of poor quality since I don't have the percents shown and I don't have a capture card. Hope it'll do though.

I mostly made this for Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 because we were talking about sharing replays so I made this. What do you think, Sonic?

Pardon the SD. This took a while to upload so I'm really going to be only leaving it at this. There's a lot more I know, just it's only one video.
The things I noticed are...

Your combos are habitual. This is something I struggled with and still do to some extent. Try mixing them up and thinking before going for Fair-Dtilt-Fair.

You had a couple of missed oppurtunities for Utilt-Bair, I don't know what you were going for so it could be fine.

You have a pretty good grasp of tech skill.

You seem to be throwing out moves. Try thinking a bit more. Mewtwo isn't meant to be aggressive, he needs to be patient, not hot-headed.

You have a good Mewtwo. It's not tournament level, but it isn't bad. My Mewtwo isn't that great yet, he sorta took a dive off of a cliff recently, and I am trying to find out why, I think it is mainly because I am dissatisfied with my level of skill in him.

I am going to try and upload a replay on Monday, here is to luck!

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
The things I noticed are...

Your combos are habitual. This is something I struggled with and still do to some extent. Try mixing them up and thinking before going for Fair-Dtilt-Fair.

You had a couple of missed oppurtunities for Utilt-Bair, I don't know what you were going for so it could be fine.

You have a pretty good grasp of tech skill.

You seem to be throwing out moves. Try thinking a bit more. Mewtwo isn't meant to be aggressive, he needs to be patient, not hot-headed.

You have a good Mewtwo. It's not tournament level, but it isn't bad. My Mewtwo isn't that great yet, he sorta took a dive off of a cliff recently, and I am trying to find out why, I think it is mainly because I am dissatisfied with my level of skill in him.

I am going to try and upload a replay on Monday, here is to luck!
1. Combo mixups are my jam. I just didn't use them here.
2. I was trying to get a read. Didn't work out.
3. I do? Where do you see that?
4. I was impatient with the Roy cause he was in my face all the time.

Sonicninja115

1. Combo mixups are my jam. I just didn't use them here.
2. I was trying to get a read. Didn't work out.
3. I do? Where do you see that?
4. I was impatient with the Roy cause he was in my face all the time.
You use Reverse confusion and b-reverse. As well as the kill confirm and other things. Those things aren't that easy, especially online.

Sonicninja115

Best replay I had with Mewtwo. I sorta took a dive with him recently, thus, this is not my best. My Shulk is on point tho...

I am slowly improving my Mewtwo, he should be my best again by January.

Oh, I am also going to start making and uploading videos showcasing combos and Advanced Techniques.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Best replay I had with Mewtwo. I sorta took a dive with him recently, thus, this is not my best. My Shulk is on point tho...

I am slowly improving my Mewtwo, he should be my best again by January.

Oh, I am also going to start making and uploading videos showcasing combos and Advanced Techniques.
That was pretty decent, man..
Although, that Lucas wasn't very good.

Sonicninja115

420quickscoper 420quickscoper whoof, calmed down.

I play Mewtwo in a technical fashion. In regards to any AT, Combo, playstyle even movement. I don't have good fundamentals as I have only been playing for a year, and haven't been playing competitively against skilled people. I know MU's, character knowledge and tactics. I just can't incorporate it into Sm4sh well. So, if you have any questions, please ask! I am here to help myself and others get better, not to flaunt knowledge and self-pride.

Plus, I have improved drastically over the past year. I was a complete, utter and total noob. I barely new how to recover with jiggly puff.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was playing him a tiny bit before the patch; all the changes make him feel like a much more cohesive character, and I'm interested in using him for real. Just got a lot to learn.

Speaking of which, if anyone watching that has advice or something I should know, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Might want to check that with different Rage values in not-Training Mode. Mewtwo would likely be in greater hitstun, and/or he might pop up higher, both of which might make this different (for better or for worse is not immediately obvious).

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Might want to check that with different Rage values in not-Training Mode. Mewtwo would likely be in greater hitstun, and/or he might pop up higher, both of which might make this different (for better or for worse is not immediately obvious).
I made a community guide and Metagame thread! Some of the info is useless, and you probably know a good amount already, but it is a compilation of most of the Mewtwo knowledge gathered so far. (I have a lot of things I am planning on adding to it in the near future.)

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Just a little Smashladder match with Mewtwo on 3DS.

Top Bottom