• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Recorder - Mewtwo Video & Critique Thread

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
PEACE7 PEACE7

You also started fishing for grabs like crazy in the last part of the match vs RichBrown.
Sometimes you use unsafe moves, like a few times I saw you use back air close to the ground. You throw out a lot of unsafe moves in general.
Go for more short hop forward air and less full hop forward air. Especially against Greninja who is one of the shortest characters in the game. Full hop forward air is for characters like Yoshi and ZSS who really like to short hop aerials, and fair will usually catch them.

Go for less jab combos against Greninja. He's a fast faller and he'll have time to shield it.
As @Sonicninja15 said, try to utilitize more tech like phasing.
Your spacing could be better if you try using tipper down tilt and spaced forward airs.
Try to roll a bit less.

I like how you used Shadow Ball to try to force an air dodge offstage, but against Greninja I don't really think that'll work so well.

Speaking of Shadow Ball, you threw out a ton of mini Shadow Balls and they didn't do so much. Maybe try getting some fully charged ones and you'll get more reward.
A nice setup into SB is Dtilt-Fair-FCSB
obviously not true but it can work.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
PEACE7 PEACE7

You also started fishing for grabs like crazy in the last part of the match vs RichBrown.
Sometimes you use unsafe moves, like a few times I saw you use back air close to the ground. You throw out a lot of unsafe moves in general.
Go for more short hop forward air and less full hop forward air. Especially against Greninja who is one of the shortest characters in the game. Full hop forward air is for characters like Yoshi and ZSS who really like to short hop aerials, and fair will usually catch them.

Go for less jab combos against Greninja. He's a fast faller and he'll have time to shield it.
As @Sonicninja15 said, try to utilitize more tech like phasing.
Your spacing could be better if you try using tipper down tilt and spaced forward airs.
Try to roll a bit less.

I like how you used Shadow Ball to try to force an air dodge offstage, but against Greninja I don't really think that'll work so well.

Speaking of Shadow Ball, you threw out a ton of mini Shadow Balls and they didn't do so much. Maybe try getting some fully charged ones and you'll get more reward.
A nice setup into SB is Dtilt-Fair-FCSB
obviously not true but it can work.
Mini SB's serve their own purpose. They can lead into frame traps, and even guaranteed stuff sometimes. We need to check if anything works better with the run-speed buff.

Also, Mini SB's are great for abusing the 50 frames after being hit that you can't grab the ledge.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Mini SB's serve their own purpose. They can lead into frame traps, and even guaranteed stuff sometimes. We need to check if anything works better with the run-speed buff.

Also, Mini SB's are great for abusing the 50 frames after being hit that you can't grab the ledge.
I know that, but there's always good uses for fully charged SBs.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
This match was quite laggy, but fun nonetheless. (also, two pretty cool kills)

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

My bad for lack of setting. Im unfamiliar with Japanese players for the most part.

Also this:https://gfycat.com/IllegalEarnestGiantschnauzer

I use to question why Mewtwo could wall jump but im not complaining lol
Is this with Bidou? Because Bidou isn't worth it with Mewtwo. He needs continuous access to his tilts and full aerial momentum. Very cool none-the-less. I will have to see if I can replicate it without Bidou. (Assuming it is)

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Is this with Bidou? Because Bidou isn't worth it with Mewtwo. He needs continuous access to his tilts and full aerial momentum. Very cool none-the-less. I will have to see if I can replicate it without Bidou. (Assuming it is)
It is Bidou, just thought it was something worth noting.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Someone posted on reddit that you can do the same with tilt stick and A. I will have to lab it tomorrow.
Yea, ledge drop > instant wall jump isn't something that's particularly hard without bidou.

The problem with it is that I'm pretty sure the only tourney-legal stage it can be performed on is Duck Hunt...although in all fairness is a pretty decent M2 stage. You could probably make trump > instant wall jump > DJ FAir > FAir work with much less strict timing. (DI out might be a thing though)

Sonicninja115

or DJ Uair-Fair, as it is a bit harder to DI and less percent specific. What are the exact inputs? is it frame tight?
Yea, ledge drop > instant wall jump isn't something that's particularly hard without bidou.

The problem with it is that I'm pretty sure the only tourney-legal stage it can be performed on is Duck Hunt...although in all fairness is a pretty decent M2 stage. You could probably make trump > instant wall jump > DJ FAir > FAir work with much less strict timing. (DI out might be a thing though)

Sonicninja115

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
I know it's tempting to post replays showing dominating M2 play for advice, but it limits my ability to give you advice, especially since one of the most important things in my opinion when playing M2 is how you handle situations where you're being pressured.

General

0:13 - could have triple f-aired, given f-air does 13% fresh, it's important to get them in when you can
0:19 - I suggest usually just going for SH n-air at the ledge over shielding. It covers more getup options and you can retreat if they hang on the ledge
0:25 - You may have been able to get a third b-air in. Rising double jump b-air combos into itself pretty well
0:55 - If you fast fall d-air after that b-air, it should connect at that percent

MU specific

0:07 - Following a shadow ball is a good aggressive option since the opponent has to react to the shadow ball. I often follow the shadow ball closer with a dash attack or grab. In this MU, I suggest not doing that and instead trying to stay about 1/4 of the stage away so you're out of Cloud's d-tilt range while making him unable to charge limit safely. Retreat and b-reverse shadow balls to make them safer

0:10 - Getting closer to Cloud isn't very good as his jab is faster than any of M2's moves, creating a tech situation or worse. If i'm getting closer, i usually opt to d-tilt if i'm close out of grab range or sh n-air if i expect Cloud to d-tilt as if cloud's d-tilt trades with your d-tilt, he's gotten closer to you and can jab/grab

0:52 - Phase u-air was nice, and worked well for the situation. The first b-air could have been done faster but in this case it worked out better because Cloud must have used his jump (Probably used tap jump)

Overall, i'd say focus on your spacing and reducing the delays in your strings to ensure they combo.

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
I know it's tempting to post replays showing dominating M2 play for advice, but it limits my ability to give you advice, especially since one of the most important things in my opinion when playing M2 is how you handle situations where you're being pressured.

General

0:13 - could have triple f-aired, given f-air does 13% fresh, it's important to get them in when you can
0:19 - I suggest usually just going for SH n-air at the ledge over shielding. It covers more getup options and you can retreat if they hang on the ledge
0:25 - You may have been able to get a third b-air in. Rising double jump b-air combos into itself pretty well
0:55 - If you fast fall d-air after that b-air, it should connect at that percent

MU specific

0:07 - Following a shadow ball is a good aggressive option since the opponent has to react to the shadow ball. I often follow the shadow ball closer with a dash attack or grab. In this MU, I suggest not doing that and instead trying to stay about 1/4 of the stage away so you're out of Cloud's d-tilt range while making him unable to charge limit safely. Retreat and b-reverse shadow balls to make them safer

0:10 - Getting closer to Cloud isn't very good as his jab is faster than any of M2's moves, creating a tech situation or worse. If i'm getting closer, i usually opt to d-tilt if i'm close out of grab range or sh n-air if i expect Cloud to d-tilt as if cloud's d-tilt trades with your d-tilt, he's gotten closer to you and can jab/grab

0:52 - Phase u-air was nice, and worked well for the situation. The first b-air could have been done faster but in this case it worked out better because Cloud must have used his jump (Probably used tap jump)

Overall, i'd say focus on your spacing and reducing the delays in your strings to ensure they combo.
I tried to upload a set where it was more difficult facing a sheik player but the replay was too long. Otherwise thanks for the advice despite me uploading a bad replay

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I tried to upload a set where it was more difficult facing a sheik player but the replay was too long. Otherwise thanks for the advice despite me uploading a bad replay
The replay wasn't bad my man :p It's just hard to critique a video where you don't show any obvious flaws is all :)

Sonicninja115

Used M2 as my 2nd for the first time at a national. (using Mewtwo since the 1.1.3 Buff)
placed 5th/124 due to Mewtwo Picks at 3 Sets.
Sadly only one was onstream.

I already see mny flows but I still seek for critism and help

If the Vieo does not jump, it's at 10 Minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYAAYv1O-E&feature=youtu.be&t=602
The main thing I saw was your ledge game. You just always seemed to fall back DJ and then land with Nair or something else.

Great job!

New vid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qw9UUQrGY

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Last edited:

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4hRFRQjszo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXshmjFS3sc

Just started getting into mewtwo recently, newer to the competitive scene as well. I've enjoyed using mewtwo and would like to make him my main so I'm looking to get some tips to improve my play. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, I know I need a lot of work so don't be afraid to let me know everything I did incorrectly, though letting me know what I did correctly would be helpful as well.

Alot of good information in this thread, I'll have to scour through it ASAP.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4hRFRQjszo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXshmjFS3sc

Just started getting into mewtwo recently, newer to the competitive scene as well. I've enjoyed using mewtwo and would like to make him my main so I'm looking to get some tips to improve my play. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, I know I need a lot of work so don't be afraid to let me know everything I did incorrectly, though letting me know what I did correctly would be helpful as well.

Alot of good information in this thread, I'll have to scour through it ASAP.
You already have a good understanding on how to play the neutral as M2 in my opinion.

Game 1

A little too much dash attack. It has benefits at low percents, but it's easily punished on shield which is something you have to avoid.

I could be mistaken as the last time I played a Pikachu was last Friday, but i think n-air is a good option to deal with quick attack (not that this pikachu used much of it, just something to take note of). If i think they're going to quick attack into me and i'm willing to risk it I go for u-smash (just don't try running u-smash against Pikachu, he's too small). If you're trying to punish a Pikachu who has used b-air or something that makes him crouch during the landing lag, grab usually won't work. If this happens use walking d-tilt.

You could convert a bit more damage off your d-tilts with f-air and DJ u-air > f-air/u-air at mid percents, it's good to retreat if you're not confident you can get the hit though because if it whiffs, you're in a good range for Pikachu to start his combos.

1:24 - Going to the ledge is a good option against fast opponents. If you want to land on stage, try falling in one direction then teleporting behind them or platform cancelling a teleport.

1:58 - From the ledge, the best ways to get off the ledge in my opinion are
  • neutral get-up
  • tap away > side-b towards the stage (use against people shielding at the ledge)
  • drop down > dj u-air (use against people waiting at the ledge/charging an attack)
  • jump > airdodge (because of M2's ability to move while airdodging, it's hard for an opponent to punish the jump recovery option if they are unable to hit you before you airdodge
  • jump > dj > shadow ball/disable (over time, opponents often adapt to M2 at the ledge by moving a bit away from it, thinking they're safe to run in and grab/attack, so this can be used to try and punish that)
the attack option was ok, but just remember M2 will probably get KO'd if they shield it and smash attack.

Game 2

Past 40%, I suggest you stop using dash attack against Jigglypuff as on shield it sets up for an easy rest
Because of M2's big frame you have to be careful about them rolling into you and misspaced aerials putting you too close to them. I think you played this match well however - teching/rolling away from Jigglypuff is usually the safest option as she is slow.

In summary, less dash attack, more conversions out of d-tilt and try out the alternative ledge getup options and using teleport to mix up where you land. Stay determined, your style doesn't need to be changed, just added to.

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
You already have a good understanding on how to play the neutral as M2 in my opinion.

Game 1

A little too much dash attack. It has benefits at low percents, but it's easily punished on shield which is something you have to avoid.

I could be mistaken as the last time I played a Pikachu was last Friday, but i think n-air is a good option to deal with quick attack (not that this pikachu used much of it, just something to take note of). If i think they're going to quick attack into me and i'm willing to risk it I go for u-smash (just don't try running u-smash against Pikachu, he's too small). If you're trying to punish a Pikachu who has used b-air or something that makes him crouch during the landing lag, grab usually won't work. If this happens use walking d-tilt.

You could convert a bit more damage off your d-tilts with f-air and DJ u-air > f-air/u-air at mid percents, it's good to retreat if you're not confident you can get the hit though because if it whiffs, you're in a good range for Pikachu to start his combos.

1:24 - Going to the ledge is a good option against fast opponents. If you want to land on stage, try falling in one direction then teleporting behind them or platform cancelling a teleport.

1:58 - From the ledge, the best ways to get off the ledge in my opinion are
  • neutral get-up
  • tap away > side-b towards the stage (use against people shielding at the ledge)
  • drop down > dj u-air (use against people waiting at the ledge/charging an attack)
  • jump > airdodge (because of M2's ability to move while airdodging, it's hard for an opponent to punish the jump recovery option if they are unable to hit you before you airdodge
  • jump > dj > shadow ball/disable (over time, opponents often adapt to M2 at the ledge by moving a bit away from it, thinking they're safe to run in and grab/attack, so this can be used to try and punish that)
the attack option was ok, but just remember M2 will probably get KO'd if they shield it and smash attack.

Game 2

Past 40%, I suggest you stop using dash attack against Jigglypuff as on shield it sets up for an easy rest
Because of M2's big frame you have to be careful about them rolling into you and misspaced aerials putting you too close to them. I think you played this match well however - teching/rolling away from Jigglypuff is usually the safest option as she is slow.

In summary, less dash attack, more conversions out of d-tilt and try out the alternative ledge getup options and using teleport to mix up where you land. Stay determined, your style doesn't need to be changed, just added to.

Thank you very much, this was excellent, exactly what I was looking for. I especially liked the ledge options, I wasn't very comfortable getting to the ledge and these will definitely help that.

I definitely have a dash attack problem with any character I play, are there any suggestions to possibly alleviate that habit?

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Thank you very much, this was excellent, exactly what I was looking for. I especially liked the ledge options, I wasn't very comfortable getting to the ledge and these will definitely help that.
I definitely have a dash attack problem with any character I play, are there any suggestions to possibly alleviate that habit?
No problem TAN-MAN, I'll see if I can provide some suggestions to help with your dash attacks.

It might help to look at it objectively - dash attack is often a burst attack, covering a comparatively longer distance than other moves while doing damage, but there are more optimal (the most you'll get out of a dash attack is stage control/u-smash off sour spot dash attack at low percents) and safer options (like simply firing shadow balls).

Replacing an aggressive dash attack in neutral is best done with a sh airdodge (phase) f-air or n-air. It works similarly to a dash attack, where the opponent may opt to challenge it with an attack of their own, or shield. It distinguishes itself from a dash attack because you're committing to an airdodge instead running and can opt to dj away or confuse them by never approaching in the first place with the airdodge if it doesn't look safe. You can also opt to phase and land behind your opponent to do a safer grab, or to get past them to reclaim more stage control (I wouldn't advise doing this a lot though as it's risky), and in addition, you get a lot more out of a phase f-air at any percent (low percent on fast fallers, I used to phase f-air > d-tilt > f-air > f-air for 44%. I haven't done that in a while though so I'm unsure if it still works).

I usually use dash attacks opportunistically to punish landings if i don't think i'll be able to do a walking d-tilt in time. A safer option is to fire a shadow ball where they will land, that way they're stunned enough to do a safe dash attack/grab.

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
No problem TAN-MAN, I'll see if I can provide some suggestions to help with your dash attacks.

It might help to look at it objectively - dash attack is often a burst attack, covering a comparatively longer distance than other moves while doing damage, but there are more optimal (the most you'll get out of a dash attack is stage control/u-smash off sour spot dash attack at low percents) and safer options (like simply firing shadow balls).

Replacing an aggressive dash attack in neutral is best done with a sh airdodge (phase) f-air or n-air. It works similarly to a dash attack, where the opponent may opt to challenge it with an attack of their own, or shield. It distinguishes itself from a dash attack because you're committing to an airdodge instead running and can opt to dj away or confuse them by never approaching in the first place with the airdodge if it doesn't look safe. You can also opt to phase and land behind your opponent to do a safer grab, or to get past them to reclaim more stage control (I wouldn't advise doing this a lot though as it's risky), and in addition, you get a lot more out of a phase f-air at any percent (low percent on fast fallers, I used to phase f-air > d-tilt > f-air > f-air for 44%. I haven't done that in a while though so I'm unsure if it still works).

I usually use dash attacks opportunistically to punish landings if i don't think i'll be able to do a walking d-tilt in time. A safer option is to fire a shadow ball where they will land, that way they're stunned enough to do a safe dash attack/grab.
Very nice. I'll have to screenshot this for my notes lol.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii

Sonicninja115

This is a form of LLG. Lag-less Ledge Get-up. You might sometimes notice that when you DJ aerial onto the stage from below, that you cancel the move and slide a little bit every once in a while. I believe that is a form of LLG too. Very interesting tech in general, but that is a good application for it. Especially since it isn't frame tight. It is a sorta 50/50. Am I going to grab ledge or not? grab ledge to trump you, or LLG back and punish your buffer? Great find Peace!

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I'm going to lab with it a bit more hopefully soon and I'm pretty sure Metalex might be on it as well. Thanks dude!

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
I've been attending and playing/practicing a bit more recently. Yesterday at a tournament I decided to ask the now second best in our state for a friendly. He's pretty much taken over the spot of our current second best as he's been coming second the past four tournaments or so. I thought I'd get demolished by him as he's a Fox main and he's doing super well, so I didn't know what to expect from it, but I think I did alright. I know Fox is a hard MU for Mewtwo. Any advice of what I could do differently next time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYG1434yAIs

Last edited:

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I've been attending and playing/practicing a bit more recently. Yesterday at a tournament I decided to ask the now second best in our state for a friendly. He's pretty much taken over the spot of our current second best as he's been coming second the past four tournaments or so. I thought I'd get demolished by him as he's a Fox main and he's doing super well, so I didn't know what to expect from it, but I think I did alright. I know Fox is a hard MU for Mewtwo. Any advice of what I could do differently next time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYG1434yAIs
Nice work!

I noticed you go for dash attacks quite a lot, might be an idea to mix it up a bit and go for grabs a little more? Grabs after nairs can work really well too. Other than that I don't think there's much else I can add ^_^'

Top Bottom