• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

Cassio

Smash Master
L I understand ICs are scary and their grab needs to be respected, but you play way too scared to the point where you forego pressuring them even when you have an advantage. I know you won the game on Frigate but it has the best examples, at 7:33 and 12:45 a well executed thunder or preferably T2 mightve led to Nanas death but you opted for easier to perform but significantly safer options. There were other times where you would land hits like dtilt and had a very strong opportunity to go for a read and separate them, but youd stay back instead for fear of being grabbed. The problem is those are the opportunities that can win you the match.

I think you need to do more grabs (shield grab/dash grab/pivot etc depends on the situation, just be careful in case they walk away, pivot grab, or spot dodge so make sure to be fairly certain they arent anticipating it) and thunder, grab popo -> bthrow is really important for separation and you should recognize the situations youre able to do it (once in a blue moon nanas ai will hit you but its still worth the risk), especially since Big D seems like hes a frequent shielder (as most ICs are). Most importantly you need a strategic adjustment as well. ICs win the MU because of the scewed risk reward they have, and the only way the MU becomes tolerable is if you can partially rebalance this by wrecking Nana anytime you get the chance. If you cant do that the MU becomes borderline impossible because their damage output > pikas and pikas camping on its own is mediocre in this MU which Im sure youre finding out yourself.

Go into training mode and set the damage to various percents, grab nana and toss her away and observe what she does in different situations like offstage, on the ground, her trajectory, when she ice blocks, etc. etc. Practice catching her with T2's especially when shes in the air. Jump thunders overall are significantly safer.

Pikas camping and approaches are as good as if not better than ICs, the MU hinges on how skewed risk-reward is in ICs favor. You are going to take risks going in even in most advantaged situations, thats unavoidable. However they need to take risks as well. What matters most is If youre able to help compensate for their 0-death by knowing when to and being proficient at separating and killing nana, if not this MU just becomes too out of control.

Theres also a few other things in regards to MU/pika knowledge like that time you SD'd fair probably wouldve been better than bair although I understand why you went for the bair too, lol. Ive started to realize lately those situations call for different aerials depending on various things as opposed to the standard bair.

Cassio

Smash Master
I got to play this MU a lot yesterday. You seem very unfamiliar with it overall, so just playing against falco more and getting experience will help you immensely.

Most importantly you were screwing up a lot on execution. What will help you more than anything else is not messing up on the CG, QA's, timing/spacing attacks, recovering, etc. It was far too common.

As for the MU itself, he wasnt really camping you so you have some room to fight him instead of running away so much, although it may have been that you were just scared which is understandable since falco is pretty ugly.

Short hop aerials are essential to combating his close range game. Dair and especially fair. In fact fair is pretty godly in this MU, and is probably your best tool overall and good for catching a phantasm happy falco as well. You were playing so safe though you never wanted to commit to trying to hit him.

Ducking lazers isnt really effective unless falco is camping you and even then only if its even/you have the lead. Learn to powershield them. Also dont just toss out dtilt or hes probably going to just punish it, use it if you think itll connect otherwise the threat of it is enough for people to keep their space without spamming it and then you keep your options open. The only time predictable dtilting is reliable is if you know theyre going for a predictable grab.

Oh yeah, learn to recover vs falco. If you cant recover vs falco he will mess you up and you could end up dead, although kismet didnt take full advantage in this area.

OH one more thing. Counterpick YI (for sure!), next Castle Siege (I think). Lylat might also be good. PS1 will mess with their recovery. If you can try and get any of those stages (in that order) as the neutral and CPs would be the same. Id ban whichever stage youre least comfortable with (unless brinstar is legal, then ban that), imo BF >= SV > FD

M15t3R E

Smash Master
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=c_Ed03gN-xo

Me vs Kismet in WB. Sooo many input errors it hurts, but any and all feedback is appreciated.
The link sends us to youtube mobile, which, for me, makes the video inaccessible.
Try using this link instead: http://youtube.com/watch?v=c_Ed03gN-xo
------
Onto the video critique.
First off, you do not appear to be a novice. How long have you been using Pikachu?
And I absolutely loved the down-throw spam exactly as much as your opponent must have hated it. Never be afraid to do this sort of thing in tournament. ;)
But don't force it, of course!
A big problem I noticed is that you were all too comfortable to space Falco from an above platform. Did you do this subconsciously? It is something you should be aware of and aim to correct. Pikachu is played best either on the same level as the opponent, or while below the opponent. Certainly not while above the opponent.
Oh yeah, do you know what the best move is to use after DI in order to decelerate your knockback and possibly save your hide? U-air. Use that. Not B-air like you've been doing.
This will take time to learn as muscle memory.
One lesser problem was your QA usage. It wasn't exactly graceful several times during each video. Everyone F's it up every now and then, but you want to keep this to a minimum.
Lastly, this is probably the most daunting issue you face. A suggestion, take it as you will, is to STOP walking/running into your opponent while he is not suffering from hitstun or move lag. It took me a loooooong time to get over this hump.
Try using more t-jolts to distract your opponent and create an opening for yourself. And all the while, keep your spacing just right so that you can go in for the pounce on a whim. This way your attacks will be more successful and you'll be keeping the pressure game on your opponent, intimidating him if nothing else.
I also have a hunch from watching your gameplay that you are looking at your own character too much rather than keeping an eye on your opponent and predicting his movements. I know he hops around like a grasshopper on a sugar high, but you need to read his attacks more closely. Your grab timing, for one thing, leaves something to be desired. Don't fret, though. This is true for playing as any character in the game. Keep playing Pikachu and this ability will come more easily. :)

That's all I got for now. Hope you find that this critique benefits you.
Again, you're a fine player! Keep it up!

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I started brawl January 2011, and I've been maining pika the whole time.

Idk why b-air kept coming out, but I understand DI very well and generally surprise people with what I live. Guess my inputs were really off.

Same goes for quick attack. I've practiced the hell out of it, but I was messing up a LOT. Which frustrates me which makes me mess up more.
That being said, this was a pretty important match in the bracket, and a bunch of people were watching, so nerves were certainly an issue.

As far as spacing above falco... my intention was to avoid the grab, but I suppose I got a little too comfortable doing it. Thanks for pointing that out...
Thanks for the critique! It was great.

Edit: And thanks for the link as well, I only have access to my phone right now and didn't realize it mattered.
:phone:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGoAC8r7AGs&list=PLB24368D2481B3E90&index=15&feature=plpp_video

This was my first tournament playing pikachu. I know I'm really sloppy on the technical side of pikachu. any feed back is appreciated.

edit: i replaced the video link with a youtube link.
I like your playstyle, but perhaps you are being a little too aggressive. I noticed that you are getting hit left and right by her side-b, especially as a killing move. You ought to try approaching from the air more often rather than by running across the ground as you did, mostly. You never did try camping, to at least observe your opponents reactions. I do believe you can outcamp ZSS with thunderjolts. Her projectiles aren't very pressuring. Don't feel afraid or bad about feeling out your opponent. I also didn't see many chaingrab combos (did see some, of course) nor enough follow-ups after attacks. You might want to check out all the combos that you can find out for Pikachu. I'm not quite sure what else to say. Just don't forget to switch up your tactics from aggressive to only lightly aggressive to camping if you are not getting the results you want during your gameplay.
You're a good player, though, all in all! ZSS is tricky to fight without experience in the MU.

M15t3R E

Smash Master

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
You were excellent at spacing yourself for bananas. And clearly just knew the matchup better than me. I'm impressed.

Lamb vs Will from Revival of Salt back in february:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dShbPX8Rec

In the first match, he gets a pretty **** combo on me. He didn't stop at balls deep.
Thanks, I have a decent amount of diddy practice!
That Will combo was insane :O.
One thing I noticed is that you let yourself get punished for RCO lag and skull bash recovery a bit too much. RCO is super annoying to deal with for QaC lovers, I know...

Captain L

Smash Champion
Tourney this sunday, I have some vids

:pikachu2: + :zelda: vs :snake: / :wario: + :metaknight: / :rob: Winners Semis

:pikachu2: + :zelda: / :marth: vs :metaknight: + :yoshi2: Losers finals

Even though we got 3rd, I think Pikachu zelda is a really sick team. There are better partners for pikachu obvs, but it's so fun just because of the potential for obscenely early kills. In our first match of the tournament we were against a double MK team, and we killed one of them within about 7 seconds with lightning kicks, zelda uair, thunder, and some other **** that I don't even remember.

:pikachu2: vs :metaknight: Pools

I was really upset when I lost this. I think one of the reasons is that I was playing Breez's mk for about 10 hours the day before, and the two of them play outrageously different. Normally I can take Firefly, but I'm still afraid for next time.

:pikachu2: vs :metaknight: Losers Semis

As you can hear in the commentary this was also a 20$ mm. Breez is my favourite person to play right now by quite a long shot.

:pikachu2: / :metaknight: vs :wolf: / :lucario: Losers Finals

We both kind of had to leave so....
Game 3 I wanted to try my MK that I'd put so much work into.
Game 4 was a good call on his part.

He's not salty don't worry, said he would've been insulted if I'd given him anything less.

:metaknight: / :pit: / :pikachu2: vs :popo: Grand Finals

Yeah I still can't do it...
Pit though

Cassio

Smash Master
Looking good, I can def see youre improving lots. I think one are you could stand to put extra effort into though is pressure. I feel like I see you allow situations to reset too frequently when the opponent is in a bad position or after a hit connects but theres no guaranteed follow up, esp your set vs Firefly and Big D's ICs. Its interesting bc you were frequently very solid on your approaches but you wouldnt quite maximize the damage that could be dealt from the situation.

Also Im assuming brinstar was legal? Sucks you couldnt ban delfino, that stage is terrible vs MK imo.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Delfino isn't really that bad against MK, you just have to be patient. We have the tools to get around sharking considering we can just jump up and QA out of his range.

You don't camp enough against ICs.

Captain L

Smash Champion
Brinstar was not legal, I think I banned frigate.

I knew he would pick delfino but we've played tons of games on that stage and I was confident there, but frigate was a bit of a wildcard and I didn't want to take my chances since it was a money match too.

Usually I camp too much against ICs, my Pika game vs Big D in winners finals went 7 and a half minutes, with me getting him to one stock. The main reason I wasn't camping in grand finals was due to time constraints for the tournament, and because I knew my chances of winning were slim anyways.

Cassio

Smash Master
Heres my set vs an ICs I think the same weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx3_wmqy_wY

Hes kinda new to ICs but he gave rich a big scare in losers finals so he does pretty good. First game you can watch me tragically lose an ICs ditto. If youre wondering why I went pika third game, he has an MK which I can grab but he mashes way too fast for me (which is why I screwed up in the IC ditto game at the end too).

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You played well game 1, alright game 2, then pretty bad game 3 (especially after he killed you first). Just learn not to fish for kills so hard, and don't throw out dsmash so readily. Lots of opponents will expect the dsmash so they'll remain in their shields, so often you can grab or trick them into holding their shields for a long time, meaning any additional SAFE pressure will be much better. If you wear the shield down enough then dsmash turns into a fantastic option.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
Yeah I know I played pretty awful game 3 ... I knew it at the time, and watching it again made it painfully obvious.
Anyway, I noticed that I was getting punished for d-smash a lot after the fact...I don't usually use it that much but I felt that I was getting him to run into it a lot.
Thanks for the help!

Cassio

Smash Master
Pikachu generally outspaces. You shouldnt be allowing him to direct your movement with his hitboxes, the situation in should be reversed. All of pikachus aerials have a disjoint except maybe nair. Fair and uair in particular combat wario in the air. Fair should beat everything but warios bair, but our uair (particularly the forward/third hit) will beat it and can be spammed/used to space. On the ground, again use pikas range to shut out wario. Utilt will knock any approaches from above, and upangle ftilt should knock horizontal approaches. Dtilt and fsmash outrange his ground game, in general fsmash is a MUCH safer punish than dashing in to attack unless theyre frequently shielding, as in the latter case youre more likely than not to eat an fsmash. However keep in mind spaced fsmash should be used as a punish and not a spacing tool. Dont expect to kill wario before 160. If it happens, cool, but otherwise just expect that youll need to wrack up damage till at least 160.

Vs diddy, when esam told me about Z drop nanners it changed my life. Its really good.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I just watched a few of your matches and you landed the uair>footstool>qal a lot. Pretty impressive. Was the set where you beat this MK saved?

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
It was. I assume it will be uploaded either tonight or tomorrow. It was a 5 game set where he goes G&W game 5.
Oh, and I definitely love the QaC lock.

Thanks Cam :). Can't wait to see my LF matches.
And to be fair, that one was a QaC lock to jab lock to thunder, which I've only pulled off in similarly skilled tournament matches a few times ever.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
The qac lock was sexy. I almost fell out of my chair recording it. Everything I have from that tournament should be up tonight, Gunner.

Cassio

Smash Master
Smart ideas with QA, hope youll get a chance to fine tune it more.

btw you seemed to have trouble with MK catching your QA startup while approaching offstage and in floating in the air in general. It doesnt quite make sense, but done correctly rising fair is amazing in those situations. Just hold back, be patient, use your fastfall wisely and dont waste your jump unnecessarily. Also be wary that the MK become wise to your game and retreat to punish, in those situations though you can just QA without having to worry. Recovering low can be helpful, but top level MKs might anticipate that and find a way to really mess with you (its also really risky for them and can cause them to SD if you catch them instead), but it works agains 95% of ppl.

Top Bottom