• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

Cassio

Smash Master
Very cool. You definitely need to find a better way to recover, land and come from the ledge. They will help you significantly in the MU. Especially stop using your second jump so early and without reason.

Your use of QA early game 4 was pretty cool, he was tossing out attacks where you wouldnt be and left himself open to punishment, you just need to be more precise on tech skill and better at punishing those openings he leaves but Im sure itll get better if you keep at it. And just as a side note, QA from the ground and oos is harder for the opponent to anticipate since the animation is a lot less obvious.

MK shouldnt feel safe to space with fsmash, if possible learn the spacing to use our tipper fsmash against him, at the very least just toss out a jolt.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
First off, SH Dair isn't really a good option vs wario in the neutral game. It doesn't beat any of his aerials and it is super punishable on shield, and Wario's momentum is scary. Uair, fair, and nair are normally better options

1:03 I'm stealing that.

Pivot grabs > dash dance grabs in this MU. IT is very difficult for wario to punish pivot grabs (since you are retreating) but easy to punish the dash grabs since you are approaching.

Unless Wario is in the bubble of the blast zone or literally just got hit by u-tilt u-smash, it isn't really worth it to thunder. He can move too well if he has the free mobility (Which he doesn't right after he gets hit). He can punish you well afterwards, so it isn't really worth it.

Against Wario, close to the ground footstools aren't worth it since you need to guess correctly instead of reacting. Just go for the nair after a uair since it's guaranteed.

You are lucky he wasn't using nair a lot to punish, it would've beat a lot of your aggression quite easily.

Falling uair is AMAZING vs Wario when he is off-stage and biking. It destroys the momentum he gets after the jump and since he can't snap to the ledge with his up-b you can almost always grab it first.

Only gonna watch game 1 though.

You have a really solid Pikachu, btw.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
In place of dair, use fair for covering landings/spotdodges.

You can dthrow > dash nair until like 70 or so.

My gameplan with wario is wall him out with fairs/dtilts until he starts using -airs before me to hit before my attacks come out. At that point, I just wait/bait for his -air and run in grab his landing.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well I gotta say I appreciate the fthrow to QaC mixup near the end of game 3. Might use that myself and try to get it to work.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
I didn't see it but that's something I like to do when ppl gets out the cg/dthrow to nair % range, even if it's not always that good.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
"New" video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeZzNNs4eM8
My techskill wasn't on point that day. I did a lot of technical errors, mistakes and didn't play the matchup like I can do but hey, no johns like ppl say. He's way too good anyway.
Feel free to comment !
You do a perfect job at putting in the small damage, but you should let him come to you. You have two projectiles.. Otherwise, fantastic set.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
I find weird how some ppl liked this set while I wasn't particularly proud of it lol.
Thank you anyway, still cool to get sum luv !

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxaGZldTGsA#t=300

Not sure how long he's been playing Pikachu but 1-1 with Rain is legit!

:059:
Daiki's been watching too much Naruto (The tag). Daiki's been doing the Abadango for about a year. He does great with his fluent knowledge of characters, but isn't confident with them all. His pikachu is played against specific mks because he goes to play offline a lot with them. Wish I could, but I live on the tiny island of Okinawa, where it's basically Gori and me. The Wifi monkey and rat. =x

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxaGZldTGsA#t=300

Not sure how long he's been playing Pikachu but 1-1 with Rain is legit!

:059:
Daiki's been watching too much Naruto (The tag). Daiki's been doing the Abadango for about a year. He does great with his fluent knowledge of characters, but isn't confident with them all. His pikachu is played against specific mks because he goes to play offline a lot with them. Wish I could play, but I live on the tiny island of Okinawa, where it's basically Gori and me. The Wifi monkey and rat. =x

Mainland Japanese pikas don't do as well as they use to. People taking the American approach with switching to metaknight.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
This will probably go down really bad, but I need some help guys. While I've been a Zelda main in all my Smash years, I've always had a pocket Pikachu (which I gradually stopped using and never really built upon using him competitively). I'm considering using him more, but I have no idea where to start, what I should be working on, etc.

My only video I have so far was a video that wasn't even recorded by me, and it was a doubles match. I know this isn't really a good basis to judge how my character is, but I'm hoping that you guys may at least notice some things which I need to improve on, or what I should keep doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtH3Kq5rhcg&feature=youtu.be

Yes, I SD'd toward the end, because I somehow buffered a fast fall Down air, when I was trying to D-smash, or who knows what else I was trying to do <.<

I know it's bad. I will try to get some singles matches eventually, if I do stick with Pika. I just need some pointers on what to work on. Thanks.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Sup Pika mains i'm trying to learn pikachu well enough just so I can prevent a Falco/MK from going falco on me (it's my worst matchup)

But I actually have to be scary and I can't be scary when I don't know how to recover lol

It's just something I need to practice and get a feel for, some times i'll aim for the ledge but I don't have the right positioning or whatever, so that's one thing I need to work on, but can you guys check out this vid for me and critique it? I have no idea what i'm doing and I don't really know what moves are good for what situation or whatever. Thanks to whoever can!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luCK00P2Vyk&list=UUwnhsWt3-73_qm_m89bBkfQ&index=6

M15t3R E

Smash Master
This is about 3 weeks ago, somehow found myself in the LF's at a local tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gf3rAEjxcY&feature=youtu.be

Any and all criticism is appreciated! Please excuse the terrible DI and embarrassing SD in game 3...
Well now, it's a shame people missed this for almost 2 months. Critiquing is what this thread is for. So you are fighting a ROB. I don't have a lot of experience against ROB but if there is a ROB in my game, I'm generally the one playing as him, so I know the ropes. ROB loves nothing more than to do two things: camp and punish. He is quite adept in doing both. What I saw were not so much technical errors on your part, but your difficulty in reading your opponent. You get close, and he'll d-smash. You go at a distance, and he'll outcamp you every time. Heck, ROB can spit out a gyro ball to absorb all of your t-jolts. Solution? Maintain the pressure by keeping at a small distance so you're always ready to pounce, but be wary of his attacks. Learn what he likes to do both in the air and on the ground. This advice generally holds true against any character. Do this and mix up your ways to pounce at your opponent and maybe you'll discover that they can no longer predict your next move.

Watching you play is reminiscent of my old tournament days. You do maintain the pressure, but remember all your options at any given time and don't be afraid to tech chase. That is key. Re-watch your videos and keep an eye out for where you missed valuable reads. It's hard to say what else you could do better. Perhaps you could watch Esam vs some Marth players. I recommend this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8dMCVlDGxw.
You'll see what I mean.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Well now, it's a shame people missed this for almost 2 months. Critiquing is what this thread is for. So you are fighting a ROB. I don't have a lot of experience against ROB but if there is a ROB in my game, I'm generally the one playing as him, so I know the ropes. ROB loves nothing more than to do two things: camp and punish. He is quite adept in doing both. What I saw were not so much technical errors on your part, but your difficulty in reading your opponent. You get close, and he'll d-smash. You go at a distance, and he'll outcamp you every time. Heck, ROB can spit out a gyro ball to absorb all of your t-jolts. Solution? Maintain the pressure by keeping at a small distance so you're always ready to pounce, but be wary of his attacks. Learn what he likes to do both in the air and on the ground. This advice generally holds true against any character. Do this and mix up your ways to pounce at your opponent and maybe you'll discover that they can no longer predict your next move.
Oh man it's embarrassing to watch those videos, I looked so out of my league. Haha that's probably because I was, that was my second tournament. But yeah thanks for the criticism, I'll be sure to keep those things in mind for the future! Those recent vids of me should be coming up any day now, I'll post them in here when they are uploaded!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend

I'm gonna be writing stuff as I watch game 1 (writing this type of stuff for an entire set gets taxing)

You are fishing for grabs WAY too hard...you grabbed like 5 times in a row without doing anything else. You ended up getting it after a punish anyway so you don't need to tunnel-vision it.

When it comes to edgeguarding ike, grabbing the ledge right before he aethers is super key. it gives you invulnerability and you can drop down and (best options) fair or bair to make sure you hit him. With bair you drag him down and with fair you have a better opportunity for follow-up. F-smash is NEVER the answer!

2:52 BEAUTIFUL pivot grab, ballsy as hell since you could've been faired to death if he timed it a little better, but good **** recognizing it would work (or just guessing/praying).

Your use of QA to get below people once you notice they jump is really good, especially with characters that don't just drop like bricks.

Don't get greedy when Ike is already on the ledge, respect him since you can't really **** with it too hard. FH T-jolts from farther away are good options (Watch out for the ledge jump fair though!)

@5:36 that's the exact situation where you should do something like fall of nair (would've got the weak hitbox) to DJ uair (probably would've hit him away) to another nair. He was dead in that situation.

Good stuff though, I really like your Pikachu. You should watch Hayase/Ganbaranai from Japan to improve your uairs as it is lacking from your gameplay, from what I saw at least. Sometimes it seems like you like being fancy more than being efficient, but it's Europe and you all have that style (which makes it fun to watch). Keep it up bro!

Ike off and below stage level: Go offstage > react to Aether with QA to the ledge = Ike SDs, or is made vulnerable

D-Tilt: Best used as a follow-up; not on it's own

Chu's air pressure: the middle area of U-Air...it's all that's needed

Um....no. D-tilt isn't really used as a follow-up ever. It is a combo starter. It has like a 20-30% chance of tripping IIRC, at low %s it is super plus and it almost combos into dash grab and it is our farthest ground move shout of F-smash. So, to correct you: D0tilt; Barely used as a follow-up, use it on its own.

Uair is amazing for air pressure but it's not the only move. It is the BEST aerial of Pikachu's, but it isn't perfect for every situation. I would agree that he needs to get better at them (see above).

You can't really react to Aether with QA to ledge since you will just get hit assuming the Ike has any semblance of spacing or, even if you manage to grab it, the basics to hold forward to land on stage anyway.

I played Ryo at Come to Papa yesterday (Florida tournament) in Loser's Semifinals. If I can ever get to the stream archive I will link that match.

Here!

http://www.twitch.tv/admiralfunk/b/433576583 Time 1:12:36

Angiance

Smash Lord
Um....no. D-tilt isn't really used as a follow-up ever. It is a combo starter. It has like a 20-30% chance of tripping IIRC, at low %s it is super plus and it almost combos into dash grab and it is our farthest ground move shout of F-smash. So, to correct you: D0tilt; Barely used as a follow-up, use it on its own.

Uair is amazing for air pressure but it's not the only move. It is the BEST aerial of Pikachu's, but it isn't perfect for every situation. I would agree that he needs to get better at them (see above).

You can't really react to Aether with QA to ledge since you will just get hit assuming the Ike has any semblance of spacing or, even if you manage to grab it, the basics to hold forward to land on stage anyway.

D-Air > D-TIlt seems very good, or N-Air > D-Tilt

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You could replace those with dash-grabs for more damage and scarier pressure (Considering everybody's reaction after getting hit is to hold shield)

Angiance

Smash Lord
You could replace those with dash-grabs for more damage and scarier pressure (Considering everybody's reaction after getting hit is to hold shield)
Grabbing isn't guaranteed, and dash-grab especially leaves Chu very vulnerable; D-Tilt, as you know, is horribly awesome-I mean, safe so...

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Ike off and below stage level: Go offstage > react to Aether with QA to the ledge = Ike SDs, or is made vulnerable

D-Tilt: Best used as a follow-up; not on it's own

Chu's air pressure: the middle area of U-Air...it's all that's needed
Maybe you're comfortable at dealing with Ike's upB like that but I'm not lol. Or you're just ballsy af.
I really don't get your Dtilt part o_O That move is pretty slow you know, and not that linkable at any move (except Tjolt and fair on big guys maybe).

Not sure what you mean by middle area as well =/ Perhaps, not the top of the tail or something... ?

I'm gonna be writing stuff as I watch game 1 (writing this type of stuff for an entire set gets taxing)

You are fishing for grabs WAY too hard...you grabbed like 5 times in a row without doing anything else. You ended up getting it after a punish anyway so you don't need to tunnel-vision it.

When it comes to edgeguarding ike, grabbing the ledge right before he aethers is super key. it gives you invulnerability and you can drop down and (best options) fair or bair to make sure you hit him. With bair you drag him down and with fair you have a better opportunity for follow-up. F-smash is NEVER the answer!

2:52 BEAUTIFUL pivot grab, ballsy as hell since you could've been faired to death if he timed it a little better, but good **** recognizing it would work (or just guessing/praying).

Your use of QA to get below people once you notice they jump is really good, especially with characters that don't just drop like bricks.

Don't get greedy when Ike is already on the ledge, respect him since you can't really **** with it too hard. FH T-jolts from farther away are good options (Watch out for the ledge jump fair though!)

@5:36 that's the exact situation where you should do something like fall of nair (would've got the weak hitbox) to DJ uair (probably would've hit him away) to another nair. He was dead in that situation.

Good stuff though, I really like your Pikachu. You should watch Hayase/Ganbaranai from Japan to improve your uairs as it is lacking from your gameplay, from what I saw at least. Sometimes it seems like you like being fancy more than being efficient, but it's Europe and you all have that style (which makes it fun to watch). Keep it up bro!

Yes grab fishing is one of my biggest default as Pika since forever. May remain as it is till I die @_@
For the pivot grab I just felt like it was what I had to do at the moment... Let's say half recognition half guess lol.
I think it's acquired I'll respect that upb from now, just noticed that shiz can put up to 20%.
And yeah, I can't help being fancy and do some stupid bs, it's in my blood, for better or for worse.
Thx for the tips both of you.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Grabbing isn't guaranteed, and dash-grab especially leaves Chu very vulnerable; D-Tilt, as you know, is horribly awesome-I mean, safe so...

The d-tilt isn't guaranteed either, but it's all about risk reward. I would definitely risk getting hit by a quick move for the reward of 23% and more pressure.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
D-tilt won't lead to other things in that situation since they will be higher up and won't frame trap as well.. They are also at higher % so it will push them farther back as well. D-tilt will ALWAYS lose to the shield option if you attempt a follow-up anyway, so assuming the player has basic instincts they won't get hit by it. The dash grab requires them to roll or sidestep since they will not have enough time to throw a move out (Barring no Marth, ZSS, or Squirtle)

Angiance

Smash Lord
SH D-Air at low percents puts them at D-Tilt's tip; D-Tilt has low enough cool-down so that if it hits a shield, Chu has plenty of reaction time for whatever the opponent chooses to do and can keep the pressure going

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
SH dair is also minus on hit until like 20 so you should never actually be getting a follow-up other than the shockwave of itself. and then afterwards you should just be grabbing since it combos...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well even near the end of the dair at 0 it's ALWAYS minus, or at least not plus enough to get anything, and then if you are at a % from like 15-20 when you hit with it you should be ALWAYS going for dash grab since it's a superior option to d-tilt...

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
SH D-Air at low percents puts them at D-Tilt's tip; D-Tilt has low enough cool-down so that if it hits a shield, Chu has plenty of reaction time for whatever the opponent chooses to do and can keep the pressure going
You know, you seem to talk like you know a lot about this game and always assert your opinion no matter what and yet I've never seen you place at a national and I've never seen you prior to this year on the boards... Are you Inui?

Edit: I'm a terrible troll

Top Bottom