• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vids of Amazing Sonic(Malcolm)

CO18

Smash Hero
This guy is really impressive. Never really heard of him but I don't pay much attention to sonic so you guys probably have.
Apparently the last match of winners semis wasn't recorded. Then the rest of winners finals and Grand finals weren't recorded but he won the tourney.

I love his mindgamez

Winners Semis:

Rykoshet(Snake) Vs Malcolm (Sonic) Match 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fu3ZhkR0lA&feature=related

Rykoshet(Snake) Vs Malcolm (Sonic) Match 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8jpsKDwL8g&feature=related <---- First kill is 2 pro

Winners Finals:
Blackanese(GaW) Vs Malcolm(Sonic) Match 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZMuACATcWc&feature=related

Blackanese (Metaknight) Vs Malcolm(Sonic) Match 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pFNJtlAeRQ&feature=related

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
580...it's a joke...lrn2internet

MalcolmM is definitely a great Sonic for sure. Some ridiculous stuff right here.

I have a feeling though that his opponents might not have had a lot of Sonic experience, but it's still amazing ****.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Why can no one deal with Sonic for **** over there?
All you have to do is stand in place and dtilt :S

CO18

Smash Hero
There are actually a few good sonics in NY/NJ from what I recall like malcolm, shadowlink, wes and others and they all usually go to the same tournaments so they have pretty good experience it would seem.

Im not sure if malcolm was the one who beat inui or not lol

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Yeah, we know of Malcolm. :O
He posts here sometimes. Never saw his vids though. Awesome sawnik. :)
I thought it was either Blue who beat Inui or like, some name starting with K.
Oh, and lol@sdrs from so far away hitting.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
There are actually a few good sonics in NY/NJ from what I recall like malcolm, shadowlink, wes and others and they all usually go to the same tournaments so they have pretty good experience it would seem.

Oh, and lol@sdrs from so far away hitting.
Yeah, those were the kinda things that made me think that, but it's cool.

All of the players were good, but man, Malcolm had some epic mindgames, even I got mindgamed from watching it, and I know all of Sonic's tricks 0_o

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Yea Southern NY/NJ actually has a number of good Sonikkus, most prominently ShadowLink, Malcom, Blue, Kai, and I guess Wes, although I haven't seen him place recently.

Oh and me too, but I haven't done anything yet ^_^

Will watch vids now =P I've seen Malcolm's Sonic once before, a long time ago.

Tenki

Smash Hero
What is wrong with you?! the only one who needs to get banned is MK.
That was not sarcasm.

The above statement is sarcasm.

This post is Satire.

Kthx.

On the real tho, Malcolm's sonic is epic.
SonicX580's sarcasm detector is broken.

We need to ban him.

This is proof.
fix'd

lol am watching this one right now:
yessss side-B>fakeout > grab. Also, seeeee F-throw is useful.
yesssss dash --> F-smash kill
1:35 - lmaooo he used side-B after a double jump, from the edge. normally I'd think "lol suicidal" but ... well, I did. XD it looks cool though.
2:16 - lolll airdodge trap :bee:
2:26 - nice trap.
2:30 - yesss more side-B cancel juiciness.
3:15 - 3:18 - hahahahahha! see, dash = top tier.
3:23 - note how when he messes up, he runs instead of rolling away. gooood.
3:56 - 3:59 - more (wave)dash fun.
4:25 - LOLOL. need 230-240% man! it was almost a repeat of the final round in my tourney on friday XD gg.

Malcom is awesome :bee:
it's almost like watching me offline, except he dashes around alot more :bee:

I thought it was Kai?

NFS (sonic)

Smash Cadet
hmmm
he dashes alot, guess its part of his mindgame,
hes decent,
i have to work on spin charge fakes.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hey, KID ain't exactly a bad sonic either in the Northeast.
Thats why I said Southern NY =P. Northern NY and southern NY/NJ don't exactly interact much... Its 5+ hours in a car from the city up to Rochester where KID's at =P Otherwise I def woulda mentioned him.

--------------

Anyways, I watched the vids.

Wow.

That had to be one of the most exquisite collections of mindgameage I've ever seen. Definitely the most I've seen from a Sonic. I love his style! It actually reminds me a bit of mine, since I use turnaround grabs and fsmashes quite often, but not nearly as much as he did.

Too Good Malcom :D

I really love the different styles in all non-nub Sonic mains. I think its demonstrative of how player based Sonic truly is. Like yea, other characters have mains with different styles, but I think its safe to say that few, if any, have as much variety amongst playstyles as Sonic does. Like, compare Malcom to X. Lolz such contrast.

I honestly think that if someone showed me a bunch of new videos of the most prominent Sonic mains playing, I could identify each one just by their playstyles.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I honestly think that if someone showed me a bunch of new videos of the most prominent Sonic mains playing, I could identify each one just by their playstyles.
Actually, from what I've seen, alot of us are starting to kind of ... converge. Whether we're in contact or not, it's like we're finding the same uses of moves or something lol.

Like seriously, if you took out Malcom's amazing dash game and spindashes done without double jumps, and kind of switched it out with like, better 'numbers' knowledge (eg, kill moves) and slightly more laid-back gameplay, it would have looked like like my offline game. I wouldn't normally go for smashes unless I had a backup kill move in mind or unless I'm sure the move will kill, and I don't usually go for risky moves like spindashing off-stage without double jumps, but other than that, he made alot of choices I would have.

I guess the degree of risk/aggressiveness and maybe air/ground tendencies might differ between Sonics though.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Really good Sonic. His style seems really risky and aggressive.

He's lucky that there wasn't any tripping.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I was in the same tournament as him he is extremely good.
I was kinda disappointed I illed mself in a match then Dsmashed a bomb when facing him. it was too funny.

His mindgames are incredible, one of the best Sonic's out there right now. He plays very fluidly.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thanks for namedropping me, guys, it helps to be appreciated every once in a while...

anyways im watching the vids and i realised something very upsetting

but before i tell you what it is i am going to
1. say that a while ago when we did the snake discussion, i said that said snake can do explosions and physical moves at the same time, and i was argued with. i gave the example of snake up tilting you into a falling mortar, and i was met with, "thatll never happen to a good sonic" to those of you that said that, please rewatch the second vid.
2. watch the rest of the vids
3. say that in the second vid at 2:07 was a perfect jab lock set up

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
That G&W knows how to play against sonic. but the sonic knows how to play against G&W. u should learn how 2 as well.

edit: I lost to inui. Game 3 last stock 100%+. All my opponents in these vids have played me at least 30 times.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
critiques.
second vid.
end: snakes jab out priortises everything sonic has except for 4-5 very well spaced moves
when he spin over charges, his opponents jump, there were many times were he could have got them off guard by just doing an instant spin dash jump (hitting up on c stick while charging down b, it combos into f- air
over time, he got predictable and thats why the snake won the 2nd match
3rd vid
up throw to delayed back air is your friend.
up air to double jump up air to spring past down air is your friend
nice spacing on last f-smash
pro tip
dont run around with sonic when the opponent is dead for 2 reasons.
1. itgets them acclimated to sonics speed faster. = bad
2. staying still is so contrary to your game that it will catch people off guard since they wont know what to expect

Tenki

Smash Hero
Either he is lucky or had alot of practice.
Minato was probably referring to lucky they were using a hacked wii with no-tripping hack on (and, judging from the videos, extended replay as well)

but before i tell you what it is i am going to
1. say that a while ago when we did the snake discussion, i said that said snake can do explosions and physical moves at the same time, and i was argued with. i gave the example of snake up tilting you into a falling mortar, and i was met with, "thatll never happen to a good sonic" to those of you that said that, please rewatch the second vid.
I might have been one of the ones who argued against that happening in a practical situation.

At low%'s, a grounded Sonic can airdodge between mortar and U-tilt, unless you come in at such a timing/placement so that they're together.

In this video, he was caught by U-tilt after a whiffed aerial, and at a kill% anyway, so the mortar didn't really matter much. :dizzy:

1. itgets them acclimated to sonics speed faster. = bad
2. staying still is so contrary to your game that it will catch people off guard since they wont know what to expect
I'm pretty sure they're familiar with Sonic's speed by now, especially if, like Malcolm said, they've played often.

Advocating opponent's lack of matchup knowledge is bad :3

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@tenki
about mortars, point is it happened
also im not saying that they arent acclimated to his speed, im saying that watching him play and knowing his style, him standing still would just totally mindscrew anybody he plays against. so that way when he goes back into spastic mode, it will be in a time and way that is not expected. which can only help him. they dont acclimate to the character, more like its helping them acclimate to his style

however...

last vid only cements my fears...

sonic players are not varied enough.

sonic would be a legitamate low tier character if brawl stayed as a 4 stock game.

have you ever noticed vids where the sonic always gets the first kill very easily whether it be by a gimp or a spring up air or w/e. and than the 2nd stock is a mindgamed f-smash/back air and then the last stock goes way higher in damage than it should?
this is because we as sonics get predictable as the individual game goes on.

if sonics want to win, they are going to have to learn how to DRASTICALLY change their playstyles MULTIPLE TIMES over the course of EVERY game. no one style is good enough for sonic because any one style can always be countered, even if the style includes being unpredictable, because the facets of unpredictablity in that style are always the same.

lets use RATS the japanese smasher as an example. he was very agressive and pretty good in the unpredictability department. but part of his unpredictability was include a lot of this string:
jump to ASC to spinshot to reverse spring to down air.

this string is very good, but when used multiple tiimes, one will see that at points it can be easily punished, the beauty in this is that if the opponent believes that sonic is vulnerable when he isnt, we can make him pay. but if you do any one thing too many times, no matter how good it is, it will be figured out and delt with.

the question is this.
how long well it take for your opponent to couunter your movements and are you ready to do something ENTIRELY different when that happens.

many times in my games i get to the point where my tech are figured out and are being avoid with much more ease than they were 2 minutes ago. you know what i say to that? it doesnt even have to be complecated. if they arent used to it, some thing as simple as dash attack spam will rack up absurd amounts of damage because they are expecting some kind of trick to it.

i would like to take a quick moment to point out that malcom still has an amazing sonic, and congrats to him for winning and he is still an amazing guy and he is still on my sig for a very good reason.

but you still have to realise what is going on here.

all i need to know is this.

how many of you sonic players are up to this challenge.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Thats one of the very few times that it failed me.
its kinda funny how I landed that Dsmash but also hit the bomb and killed myself.

Maybe next time I'll have my revenge.
Next time I am getting the Tuscan six cheese, it looked good.

@kidL Predictability is a major issue for every character. It is why every character typically has problems killing on that last stocl. With Sonic, he eneds o be more varied. It was why throughout the tournament the night before and that tournament I was experimenting with different behavior. camping, aggressive, aerial, grounded. The issue is that moving from one playstyle to another is very difficult because everyone has bits they have built up.

Nothing is sweeter than Malcolm's footstool comboes. He landed a spincharge footstool twice in a row on BSC XD. It was epic.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I agree with pretty much everything said by KID.

However, that doesn't negate how cool these videos were.
Oh, and needs more ftilt.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
3000 was the first one that i saw implementing SC FS comboes...
p.s. i usually dont see snake having a harder time killing at any point in time, and if he does, its usually cause he keeps spamming degraded kill moves.
and malcom does need more f-tilt.
as a matter of fact he should devote 10-15 seconds of every match doing nothing but walking and spacing forward tilt. just like snake. just dont do it against characters with more f-tilt range

Top Bottom