• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Videos of my Falco in progress :). (Yes already lol)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So, these videos are a few days old, the most recent one uploaded is my falco after playing with him for two hours. So I wasn't good with lasers yet (I couldn't even really double laser lol) and my spacing for the chaingrab spike was a little off. Though I learn pretty fast and I have actually practiced falco since then and corrected those things.

Here is a teaser of my Falco to come :). Remember, don't be too harsh, as I have only been playing falco for two hours in this video:

Hylian's two hour old falco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMXAJwseteE

And these three videos are all older then the one above...you can tell I do things differently as I go haha. Anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZl127wIddo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8SHfP0ox1Q - I fixed this one!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWac1V3-TkM

I would appreciate advice :). I have already worked on my lasers and my spacing so any other stuff that you guys see let me know :).

Otherwise just let me know what you think. Thanks ^_^.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
It looks like you rely on the chaingrab too much, which isn't always bad, but it's nice to see a change. Other than that, practice more of an aerial game, and it's lookin pretty good.

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
oh my god, pivot cg + double spike!
haha liked the double spike suicide in ur other vid too.
Very bottom vid, 1st stock was just epic.
very nice vids hylian, keep up the good work ;D
It seems that you single lasers are more effective as for spacing.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It looks like you rely on the chaingrab too much, which isn't always bad, but it's nice to see a change. Other than that, practice more of an aerial game, and it's lookin pretty good.
I don't really see a reason to not rely on them...you can get them from 0-50% without the harm of being hit yourself...not to mention it puts you into a positional advantage on the stage.

Now if you were to say I could be less predictable with grabs, I would agree :).

Edit: I just noticed the second and third videos were the same. I fixed them >_>.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Nice work, I guess use Nairs more often, and use the reflector more maybe

Good to see someone else use Jab combo>Jab Combo> F-smash :]

And I liked the IBG on the 3rd stock.

Keep it up and I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress and perhaps playing you

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I don't really see a reason to not rely on them...you can get them from 0-50% without the harm of being hit yourself...not to mention it puts you into a positional advantage on the stage.

Now if you were to say I could be less predictable with grabs, I would agree :).
Like I said, it's nice to see a change. If I want to watch a falco video, I don't want to see every stock starting off with the same thing, it just gets boring. Like I said, it's not a bad thing, just not enjoyable.

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Lol the videos are not on how much hylian can entertain you bowz.
Octix, you should only nair if their in the air. Reflectors aernt used so much on mks, more on projectile users like snake/TL.
As for hylian, yeah try to make the CG's less predictable. The jab + jab + fsmash was pretty awesome.

wasabicheese

Smash Journeyman
Octix, you should only nair if their in the air. Reflectors aernt used so much on mks, more on projectile users like snake/TL.
As for hylian, yeah try to make the CG's less predictable. The jab + jab + fsmash was pretty awesome.
i belive i mentioned not to use shine on MK's. and the shine is used as a good spacer, and is used when your oponent is rushing you.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
The jab + jab + fsmash was pretty awesome.
You seem pretty entertained from that jab jab fsmash combo.
It's the fact that if you're going to show how you're playing a new character, show some **** originality, something that isn't like, "oh MK just died, I bet he goes for a chaingrab spike"

Because you keep going for the chaingrab, I can't say, man that's a great falco you have there, it's more like, man he knows how to chaingrab. Then a few aerials or a forward smash. (obviously there was more originality than that)
IDK, just my opinion.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Hmm your going to need to learn other stuff besides CG to Spike. We'll see how your Falco does at HOBO 8.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You seem pretty entertained from that jab jab fsmash combo.
It's the fact that if you're going to show how you're playing a new character, show some **** originality, something that isn't like, "oh MK just died, I bet he goes for a chaingrab spike"

Because you keep going for the chaingrab, I can't say, man that's a great falco you have there, it's more like, man he knows how to chaingrab. Then a few aerials or a forward smash. (obviously there was more originality than that)
IDK, just my opinion.
No sorry, doing flashy things /=/ skill. I would think a falco was bad if he didn't chaingrab... And if I didn't, people would complain about that. There is no reason not to chaingrab, and you should always expect to see it. Just like you should expect to see a fox waveshining a peach in melee. It's almost always your best option, and you should do it no matter what. This isn't a combo video. I'm not going to ask for advice when I am not playing like I would in tournament.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
No sorry, doing flashy things /=/ skill. I would think a falco was bad if he didn't chaingrab... And if I didn't, people would complain about that. There is no reason not to chaingrab, and you should always expect to see it. Just like you should expect to see a fox waveshining a peach in melee. It's almost always your best option, and you should do it no matter what. This isn't a combo video. I'm not going to ask for advice when I am not playing like I would in tournament.
Ok. So what are you going to do against somebody who you can't chaingrab. You'll panic, and lose? That's what it looks like to me because EVERY SINGLE STOCK WAS A CHAINGRAB.

Don't ask for opinions next time, if you aren't going to take them.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I watched the first vid'.

You're pretty good Hylian ! :) I don't pretend to be a "master" for anyone, but just some advices :

- AAA combo into F-Smash will - almost - never work against a good player...
- Good to see that you included Boost Smash and RBG, the more 'difficult' (hum...^^) ATs for Falco. You could use Boost Smash a little bit more though (by example when you land).
- Phantasm more. Easy 6%, very useful for the spacing.
- Use Single Jab into Grab/Jab/ (Something else, predicting your opponent)
- Pretty good aerial stuff, i would recommend to use it a little more.
- More SHL approaches (I don't remember the whole vid', maybe i'm wrong here)
- Generally accelerate your game

Hum... I don't want to hurt anyone, but your opponent didn't seem very good ^^"

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ok. So what are you going to do against somebody who you can't chaingrab. You'll panic, and lose? That's what it looks like to me because EVERY SINGLE STOCK WAS A CHAINGRAB.

Don't ask for opinions next time, if you aren't going to take them.
So your opinion is that I shouldn't chaingrab?

Wow... Nice advice.

I still don't understand why you think I shouldn't chaingrab? Of course I chaingrabbed every stock, considering that the option is there for me. If I can't chaingrab them (The only character you CAN'T chaingrab more then twice is Jigglypuff IIRC) then I will just play how I play after they are above 50%? Your logic is horrible.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Well now I know. I use shine as an all purpose attack on everyone. Maybe I should stop ;]

And the reason I say use more Nairs is because I use it as an approach and it seems to work for me. But I guess what works for me may not work for everyone else.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I watched the first vid'.

You're pretty good Hylian ! :) I don't pretend to be a "master" for anyone, but just some advices :

- AAA combo into F-Smash will - almost - never work against a good player...
- Good to see that you included Boost Smash and RBG, the more 'difficult' (hum...^^) ATs for Falco. You could use Boost Smash a little bit more though (by example when you land).
- Phantasm more. Easy 6%, very useful for the spacing.
- Use Single Jab into Grab/Jab/ (Something else, predicting your opponent)
- Pretty good aerial stuff, i would recommend to use it a little more.
- More SHL approaches (I don't remember the whole vid', maybe i'm wrong here)
- Generally accelerate your game

Hum... I don't want to hurt anyone, but your opponent didn't seem very good ^^"
Wow, thanks a lot :). I will keep that in mind ^_^.

And my opponent had also, just picked up Metaknight...

bowz

Smash Journeyman
K Hylian wins. Hylian doesn't lose. Chaingrab everystock, especially against those you can't chaingrab. My advice to all falco players is don't chaingrab, or at least that's what Hylian says. NO chaingrabbing. Oh, and have fun chaingrabbing every character, I'm sure it will work out fine.

wasabicheese

Smash Journeyman
K Hylian wins. Hylian doesn't lose. Chaingrab everystock, especially against those you can't chaingrab. My advice to all falco players is don't chaingrab, or at least that's what Hylian says. NO chaingrabbing. Oh, and have fun chaingrabbing every character, I'm sure it will work out fine.
way to be a jerk. hylian didnt do anything wrong to u, and all of a sudden u start flaming him.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
way to be a jerk. hylian didnt do anything wrong to u, and all of a sudden u start flaming him.
Flaming? no.
Him not doing anything wrong to me? no.

He put words in my mouth, saying I said not to chaingrab at all.
All I said was if he was trying to show us his Falco, then don't show us a video of him chaingrabbing every stock. Show some versatility.

So if I put out a video of my Falco and say please tell me how I am, and the video is my falco vs a bad ike, and I chaingrab spike EVERY stock, you would say nothing?

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
He shouldnt show some versatility, he should show his Falco, what cant you understand?

If the character can be chaingrabbed, and he doesnt do so every stock, then the Falco users should tell him to. Versatility my ***, throwing 50% out of the window to be "original" is so stupid i cant believe you suggest it.

Tengosku

Smash Cadet
i see what bowz is saying, he wants more to critique from beside the cg, and there is a lot more to falco. but the cg is a huge part and if he didn't use it then it wouldn't be a realistic match

imo, let's see vids vs. a solid opponent, who didn't just pick up their char

otherwise hylian i give your falco applause (i fav'd the first vid :D)

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Thats just stupid

Nice vids/falco

The metaknight did some dumb stuff on the last match lol

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Okay lets just face it. Falco has an chaingrab. So your saying you play falco and you dont chaingrab? Why wouldnt you take advantage of his chaingrab while he has it? Haha your just saying things to back up your arguement, but it isnt working.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Okay lets just face it. Falco has an chaingrab. So your saying you play falco and you dont chaingrab? Why wouldnt you take advantage of his chaingrab while he has it? Haha your just saying things to back up your arguement, but it isnt working.
Wow, you're seriously an idiot.

If only a few understand what I mean, then I'm done with this thread. You people obviously don't understand anything...

Kurosagi

Smash Apprentice
Mediocre Falco, but good for the time put into it. I'd say,

-Work the reflector into your game
-More f-tilts (it really is amazing)
-More SHL/SHDL in general; just throw them out if youre at a safe distance, doesn't hurt and makes the opponent rethink approaches

Blad01's critique i'd say is the most useful to follow here, especially the single jab mix-ups. It's really good stuff. I look forward to seeing you improve!

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
I really liked the double dair suicide in the second video.

Your Falco looks really good considering you haven't spent a huge amount of time on him yet. I would suggest laying off the grabs a bit and put more lasers and aerials in. Other than that your Falco looks really solid and I can't wait to see your Falco after you get really good at him.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Wow, you're seriously an idiot.

If only a few understand what I mean, then I'm done with this thread. You people obviously don't understand anything...
He proves you wrong and all you can do is insult him for it? xD.

Anyways, Hylian uses Ice Climbers and he doesn't even need to chaingrab to do well with them, why would it be any different with falco? He just chooses to take advantage of chaingrabbing whenever he gets the chance, like any smart competitive person would do.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
He proves you wrong and all you can do is insult him for it? xD.

You are an idiot as well.
He didn't prove me wrong at all. I never said not to chaingrab. I said show some versatility. Chaingrabbing isn't the only the falco can do. If he is in a tournament, sure I expect to see a chaingrab every stock. Also, people can escape the chainthrow pretty easily. Marth upb, Bowser up b, a couple can just jump, etc. You need other ways of damage then chaingrab.

Thats all I was saying, and if you people don't understand it then fine, I'm done talking about it because obviously you have to stick up for THE HYLIAN, whatever.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
You are an idiot as well.
He didn't prove me wrong at all. I never said not to chaingrab. I said show some versatility. Chaingrabbing isn't the only the falco can do. If he is in a tournament, sure I expect to see a chaingrab every stock. Also, people can escape the chainthrow pretty easily. Marth upb, Bowser up b, a couple can just jump, etc. You need other ways of damage then chaingrab.

Thats all I was saying, and if you people don't understand it then fine, I'm done talking about it because obviously you have to stick up for THE HYLIAN, whatever.
In case you didn't read, he said he just started using Falco, and yet you're criticizing him for testing stuff out with him. Also, he did a lot more than just chain grabbing. It's like when he started using Pikachu, he did a lot of QACing and that was mostly it, because he was just learning how to use him, and now he doesn't have to use it as much because he's learned more about him, and I've seen it in his matches. I've seen his gameplay and I can tell you, he learns and adapts quicker than anyone else I've seen. In a few weeks if he still uses Falco, he will be a great Falco user, I'm speaking from what I've seen.

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
Great job with the matches, especially for only two hours.

One thing I noticed is that you chased Meta Knight off the stage a lot, and that cost you a stock. Don't spend too long outside the stage, since Meta Knight's upB will most likely stage spike you. Falco's easily edgeguarded and his recovery's pretty bad if you don't have your second jump, so don't go below the stage if you can help it.

Another thing with the chaingrabbing. Meta Knight's recovery makes it nearly impossible to kill him with a chaingrab to dair at low percentages, so instead of spiking him at the end, I would go for a nair or dash cancel. Don't rely on chaingrabbing too much. Keep other options in mind, especially on characters who can escape it easily.

Use shine and ftilt more. They're great spacers, especially on agressive characters. Your lasers could use a bit of work too. It looks like you just forgot about them halfway through the match. It's hard to hit Meta Knight with the lasers, since he's so small, but they work great against him. It can cancel out his tornado and mess up his approach.

Other than that, there's not much to critique on. We'd have to see matches against other characters to see what you can really do. Post different videos too, especially on characters that can't be chaingrabbed well.

Overall, you're a very good Falco, and I'm looking forward to more matches once you get the hang of him.

Daredevil

Smash Rookie
I love the pivot grab at 1:38. You used it greatly to get your opponent on the other side and then the spike.

clowsui

Smash Legend
why would he need to be "more versatile" in terms of damage dealing as falco? i mean i'm not saying he shouldn't mix it up at all but if he has the option to chaingrab on every stock then he should do it, not just mix it up. it's a guaranteed 30-50% - he should DEFINITELY CG on every stock in that case, especially on a metaknight. why would you even stop using it? so you can tack 50% on in different ways while eating 60-80%? -_-

in case you didn't notice he wasn't only chaingrabbing, he was using his smashes and tilts. the chaingrab won on every stock - why? because HE GAVE THE OPPONENT 50 FRIGGIN PERCENT EVERY TIME AND MANAGED TO FOLLOW UP WITH FALCO'S AIR PRESSURE GAME, WHICH IS AMAZING.

also, hylian:
- more shdl on metaknight, it's almost GUARANTEED he'll start trying to get closer at higher percentages. shdl same height he starts approaching from the air more.

- against metaknight generallly the agreement is that he'll either uair or nair off the platform so if you're above him then just drop laser and ftilt him if he's close enough, if not then just back up and laser more (since you've mastered lasers by now you could dash away - b reversal towards him and ftilt/fsmash for a free 15-25%). if you're on like main platforms...high % camp for the boost usmash or go to the edge and spotdodge a couple of times, if he uses a b move to get in you'll have spot dodged it once and shielded afterwards and the rest is history, rolls in then you can go for the grab, get up attack you'd have spot dodge it and you can just dsmash, regular getup the best he can do is a dsmash or grab so just di down-right (b-throw you'll go towards the stage lower which means dair won't work as well and nair will be useless because you'll walltech; fthrow you'll fall out of nair/fair range, dthrow same thing, uthrow who uses that as MK)

- more shines, keeps metaknight at bay...just make sure to do it closer so that he trips. if he rolls in towards you then you can do whatever but generally metaknights will getup attack after a tripshine so just spotdodge the getup and punish. if he rolls away then just phantasm towards him, shield and wait for reaction...

- more ftilts, useful for spacing against metaknights (who will like ALWAYS try to ftilt/dsmash/jab combo on the ground to rack your damage, your ftilt is pretty fast + has high priority). more utilts also, very useful tool against metaknight (whose only option when he's above you is like dair, nair, maybe bair?)

Overall you've got a solid Falco, you know that racking up damage with the small hits is important (something that I forget XD) and your spacing is decent. Keep this up and you'll be able to Falco ditto Seth with some degree of certainty regarding victory :p

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wow, thanks a ton everyone!!! I really really appriciate all this great advice :). I look forward to learning more about this character from you all :).

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
ok ill practice that, Falco is my counter against snake. Also to hylian how do you do against a Snake player with IC? I heard Snake >IC in the match up , is it true?

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
There isn't a lot to learn with Falco to be honest. He has some technical stuff. But he is still hard to use. I believe it's mainly because of the openings in his camping game, and difficulty in landing finishing moves. But once you learn what there is to know, a lot of it is just letting experience guide you, and proper chain grabs LOL.

Top Bottom