• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video proof Slipping/tripping is stupidest thing in the history of Smash

Igneous42

Smash Ace
even outside of competative play that will be annoying. Even casuals will hate that. Are we sure it's 100% random and doesn't happen as a result of something else?

Claymore

Smash Rookie
even outside of competative play that will be annoying. Even casuals will hate that. Are we sure it's 100% random and doesn't happen as a result of something else?
It was once thought to only happen upon release of a dash (like fox trotting, dash forward then let go to dash again etc) but that was debunked from someone reputable if I recall. So far, I've heard that it is roughly 1.3% chance of happening upon a dash, at random, nothing you can do to prevent it except not dash. Some say it can even happen upon starting a walk, but I've not seen that proven in video.

I guess you could walk everywhere lol. If it doesn't happen on walks.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The only reason people are saying get over it is that this subject has already been complained about in a number of other topics, least a dozen.

Zjiin

Smash Master
There was a 1 frame delay between landing from the trip and me starting the recovery move. 1 frame = 1/60 sec = 16.66ms
And this was on Wi-Fi so considering the lag my controller input timing was probably perfect. Inescapable. Period.

As I said before, I wasn't too upset about tripping, until it makes me lag into an inescapable Ike fSmash. Now all i can say is "Wow, that was really stupid Sakurai. What were you thinking?"
Our group has gotten used to it and tripping with immediate reactions is very helpful in certain situations. I mean, if you played melee and learned how to waveshine like most high competitive players did, there's no reason to complain about not being fast enough to immediately recover from tripping.

Now being on wifi is different. If you're playing wifi with lag in serious compitition, you deserve this , lol.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Our group has gotten used to it and tripping with immediate reactions is very helpful in certain situations. I mean, if you played melee and learned how to waveshine like most high competitive players did, there's no reason to complain about not being fast enough to immediately recover from tripping.

Now being on wifi is different. If you're playing wifi with lag in serious compitition, you deserve this , lol.
You miss the point. I said I timed it perfectly, despite it looked 1ms off, since that was because of Wi-Fi. If I timed it perfectly not on Wi-Fi that would make a 1 frame difference. If the fSmash was 1 frame earlier it would be inescapable (and that's assuming Frame #3 of the trip recovery gives you invulnerability).

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I have to say, I don't even know what the purpose of tripping is :laugh:. Perhaps the team put it in to try and discourage spamming movement patterns? Who knows. Anyways, on sunday, I'm going to try tripping a ton and see how much you can tech out of it.

If you can tech immediately after you start tripping, then in fact you can turn tripping into your advantage.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
fast forward to the finals of a big money smash tournament.

Fox & Ike, final destination, one stock each.
Fox trips
Ike scores a forward smash
Fox loses the match and the money because of a random match effect.

Anyone who has ever played for money knows that tripping is a big issue. If someone can score a win off of something random and unpreventable then it's a terrible addition.

In tourney play, stages with little or no interference are chosen because it lowers the chance of a random effect, same with banning items; you never knew if a capsule was an exploding one.

The downside to tripping is not only is it seemingly random but you can't switch it off.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this is random and it sucks. You know what else sucks? Peach knocking you a little off the edge at low-mid %, pulling a bob-omb, and KOing you. That's completely random too. It didn't kill Melee or reduce its competitiveness. As Metzger said, it's just that every character can be randomly advantaged or disadvantaged now, not just Peach, G&W, or Luigi.

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
Did you try to dash-dance too quickly, maybe? Maybe you're not suppossed to dash right away. Maybe it happens when you pivot. I don't know, but there has to be a reason.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Yeah, this is random and it sucks. You know what else sucks? Peach knocking you a little off the edge at low-mid %, pulling a bob-omb, and KOing you. That's completely random too. It didn't kill Melee or reduce its competitiveness. As Metzger said, it's just that every character can be randomly advantaged or disadvantaged now, not just Peach, G&W, or Luigi.
That's not in the same realm of randomness as tripping. Watch the video. I'm going for an attack and get hit was an fSmash. That should never have happened. If peach is pulling out an item, you can anticipate an item to appear, but you can't anticipate that when you're going for a dash attack you're randomly going to fall into an inescapable Ike fSmash.

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fG-evI7HDM @ 02:50

I shield the fSmash. It's the nearly the same thing. I wasn't going to just run into an fSmash.
Now go to 00:50 of the same video, I trip and get up perfect timing but if I was a little closer, I'd get smacked by the fSmash.

Kamaji

Smash Ace
Although that sucks, and everyone knows it, it seems like I always trip right before Pit launches an arrow at me, causing me to dodge it...

Now back to the angryness... TRIPPING SUCKS!

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Lol, k whatever you say.
I never said STOP RUNNING Just think before you attack seriously.

And honestly, just DEAL WITH IT.
It's not GOING ANYWHERE..just put up or shut up learn to adapt and play.

I don't know about you but I welcome everything In Brawl INCLUDING tripping.
You're a ******* who doesn't know anything about Smash.

And for all the people saying "It's in the game, get used to it," I take it you've never heard of something called patching? It's this process that's been around for about 15 years, where developers fix bugs and other bull**** associated with their game. Since the Wii has internet connectivity, the game could be patched at some point. Is Nintendo likely to make a patch? Probably not, unless enough people complain about the bull**** like tripping.

And if anyone honestly thinks falling completely prone to your enemy at random times is good for a competitive game, then, well, you don't know anything about competitive gaming.

I think it's much more likely that some of you have simply developed an apologist's mentality for Brawl and would defend its faults regardless of how game-breaking they were, because you have succumbed to fanboyism and thus lost your objectivity.

That is all.

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
That's not in the same realm of randomness as tripping. Watch the video. I'm going for an attack and get hit was an fSmash. That should never have happened. If peach is pulling out an item, you can anticipate an item to appear, but you can't anticipate that when you're going for a dash attack you're randomly going to fall into an inescapable Ike fSmash.

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fG-evI7HDM @ 02:50

I shield the fSmash. It's the nearly the same thing. I wasn't going to just run into an fSmash.
Now go to 00:50 of the same video, I trip and get up perfect timing but if I was a little closer, I'd get smacked by the fSmash.
Maybe sheilding when you're dashing is the key to at least preventing tripping.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Uhm, on that first stock, you were getting you *** beat before you tripped. And honestly, it's not like tripping thirty seconds in was what threw off your game, man.

You still won, even with an amatuerish Fox. I don't see the grounds for *****ing, here.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Uhm, on that first stock, you were getting you *** beat before you tripped. And honestly, it's not like tripping thirty seconds in was what threw off your game, man.

You still won, even with an amatuerish Fox. I don't see the grounds for *****ing, here.
Your putting tripping in the context of this one single match.

If in a big money tourney A character trips and loses a stock for it then that is major hax. The odds of this happening? Fairly slim, i've seen many people trip and not be affected at all. But for that tiny percent of people tripping, an uneccesary addition to brawl will cost them the match/tournament/prize money.

Doyoudigworms

Smash Cadet
Tripping in no way, shape, or form can be considered strategic or beneficial. The main reason behind this is because tripping is entirely random, there is no pre meditated "dash twice and he will trip" strategy. This puts the player who does eventually and randomly trip at a huge disadvantage with no means of a considerable fast recovery, even if a few frames later it can be teched. It would be nice to think we could use it as a tactic, but due to the fact it occurs at random times, no one can successfully set up strategic mind games.

Virtually any fighting games that have become popular in the last ten years have added beneficial tactics, tripping is only beneficial to the lucky chap who catches the trip. But since it happens to either individual at random times, the cons greatly outweigh the pros.

I embrace Brawl unlike some Melee enthusiasts, but tripping is possibly one of the worst gameplay mechanics around. IMO.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Maybe you need to play as a braver character. Bowser or Ganondorf would never fall on their ***** right before an opponent!

Doyoudigworms

Smash Cadet
I acutally like tripping. It makes the game more realistic.

Realistic? In a world where blue hedgehogs and fat Italian plumbers face off on large floating platforms in order to not loose stock lives?

Tripping is a silly gameplay addition, in any other game it would be considered worthless, and SSBB is no different.

Imagine playing classic side scroller like Super Mario Bros. and having Mario trip right before you went to jump over Bowser. Not in the least bit appealing to me, pretty worthless.

Sliq

Smash Master
Next person who says anything along the lines of "get over it" I'm going to burn their ****ing house down.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Tripping honestly would have been a interesting idea...if it weren't random. If it happened for a specific reason (dash-dancing too much, certain attacks like banana peel/Lucas' sweep kick, etc.) it would have been okay.

Being completely random it what makes it lame. Oh well, I'll still be happily playing Brawl.

No-Really-I-Suck

Smash Apprentice
Seems like you were getting handled pretty good up until that point anyways - the tripping didn't add that 70+ percent to you before the initial smash.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Why can't you guys... you know fight in the air with aerials, as Brawl was intended?

Sure, Yuna and his friend SAY that Air tripping exists, but since it's said to have happened only four times ever and only possibly seen once and that was maybe just a glitchy footstool jump, it is a HELL of a lot rarer than Ground Tripping. Air Tripping is as rare as Bigfoot. =P

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
So if the game randomly feels like making you die just because you have high damage, that's justified?
The guy is still whining, and he still won. "I was playing with him" thats what he gets for sand bagging. Regardless, tripping can happen to anyone at all, it's your own fault if you can't react to it fast enough, the other guy has just as much chance as you to trip, and don't tell me if you were in a tournament and the guy tripped, you wouldn't try to at least get a hit in. Because after all, competitive playing is all about playing to win, and I seriously see not a difference between shine spiking some guy trying to get on a ledge and hitting someone who's just tripped.

It's how the game is, whether the character trips up or the person playing a character trips up and does an unsafe move and gets punished for it, you'll really have to learn to live with it if tripping isn't removed from the game somehow...but that's just me.

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
Because after all, competitive playing is all about playing to win, and I seriously see not a difference between shine spiking some guy trying to get on a ledge and hitting someone who's just tripped.
The difference is that one is random and one is not.

Items are turned off in competitive play for a reason.

kr3wman

Smash Master
meh, i'm used to **** like this. i used to play competitive WoW
Competitive Wow?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh...Oh...lol.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
The guy is still whining, and he still won. "I was playing with him" thats what he gets for sand bagging. Regardless, tripping can happen to anyone at all, it's your own fault if you can't react to it fast enough, the other guy has just as much chance as you to trip, and don't tell me if you were in a tournament and the guy tripped, you wouldn't try to at least get a hit in. Because after all, competitive playing is all about playing to win, and I seriously see not a difference between shine spiking some guy trying to get on a ledge and hitting someone who's just tripped.

It's how the game is, whether the character trips up or the person playing a character trips up and does an unsafe move and gets punished for it, you'll really have to learn to live with it if tripping isn't removed from the game somehow...but that's just me.
These exact same arguments apply to the question: Why don't we turn bobombs on very high? Their appearance is random. They can affect both players. If you get hit by one, you didn't react fast enough. Etc. Yet only the scrubbiest scrubs would want bobombs turned on very high. Tripping is less serious because it happens less frequently and may rarely lead to stock conversion, but at high level play, it can and will affect the outcome of important matches.

Tripping is a bad mechanic. It's obvious that, for now, it's part of the game. This is not contested, so why do you keep pointing it out? Everyone knows it's part of the game. With the very real possibility that Brawl can and will be patched, there is every reason to voice our complaints. And even if there weren't, criticism isn't justified by its utility. It is its own justification.

Top Bottom