• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video proof Slipping/tripping is stupidest thing in the history of Smash

Somasu

Smash Ace
Guilty Gear XX. Zappa. Ever play Zappa?

His entire moveset is based on random chance. On what move the game decides to give you, on what happens after a foe hits you. There's constants, but they're random. I have not only to think on the fly, but plan for what may not even happen.

So yeah, falling on your butt in a match where money is on the line? Sucks to be you if you knew that mechanic was there and it cost you the victory. Sometimes you can't make everything "not random" for a tournament.

You have once again missed the point, even though I flat out told it to you. We are NOT just complaining about it being something we can't take out. We would love to do so if we could, and it sucks that we can't, but that is NOT our main problem.

Our problem is the whole reason as to why that gaming mechanic is in the game. Why put in a feature that does nothing but screw over everyone? Why implement a feature such as tripping?

It was merely a stupid idea and that is ALL! There was no real point in adding tripping other than to give a random advantage to your opponent, and when money is on the line, it is just stupid.

Sure, other things in many other games are random factors that can decide things, but that just doesn't change the fact that it's stupid if that's what decides tournament matches with money involved in any case.

Ruckus

Smash Cadet
South San Francisco, California, United States, No
ok i never post but i have to this time
1.tripping-useless lame annoying
2.i love wen nubbies defend this bull**** like "oh its good for the game" "oh it makes it more realistic" "then change your strategy cus a dumass random event makes it fair " srsly stfu none listens to you and your likey going to lose most of your matches to cp's
3.wthell i wonder whose the guy that was like " lets add a tripping effect!" im surprised nobody smacked the crap out of that bithc
sakurai stop bouncing ideas with the dam interns

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Tripping is retarted. Why Sakurai, why?

And I lol'd at the video with the Marth tripping at the very beginning of the match. Unbelievable.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Sure you do. You chose to play Brawl in a tournament.
If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't post.

You ignored me, and then FORGOT we were talking about tripping. Either that or you chose to take what was just said out of context. Don't go off topic. We have no choice or not as to the whether dashing will randomly cause tripping or not. That's a fact. You really need to get over yourself.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't post.

You ignored me, and then FORGOT we were talking about tripping. Either that or you chose to take what was just said out of context. Don't go off topic. We have no choice or not as to the whether dashing will randomly cause tripping or not. That's a fact. You really need to get over yourself.
People getting stressed out over losing hypothetical dollars over something they know can happen but can't predict in a tournament for a party game, and I'm the one who needs to get over myself. Right.

But then, by saying that, I clearly don't have the "mindset I need to see Tripping is dumb", so anything I say is just bullocks to those who have made their opinion, and thus we're right back where we start. Q.E.D.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
People getting stressed out over losing hypothetical dollars over something they know can happen but can't predict in a tournament for a party game, and I'm the one who needs to get over myself. Right.

But then, by saying that, I clearly don't have the "mindset I need to see Tripping is dumb", so anything I say is just bullocks to those who have made their opinion, and thus we're right back where we start. Q.E.D.
Actually, a lot of us here aren't getting stressed, we've already accepted the fact that it's in the game. We are just discussing how we feel it was a poor addition over all because of the fact that can completely gimp people in tournament enviornment where money is on the line. It's happened before in other situations, which is why items are banned.

The problem most of us see is that there are situations where it is impossible to adapt to the occurrence because enough frames have yet to pass before you can react, but enough have passed that you can be damaged, or it's just not humanly possible TO react fast enough. Yes the chance is low, but tell that to the person it happens to.

We aren't whining, we are discussing a hypothetical situation. If you aren't part of the tournament community at all, then this has no effect on you, and thus you really have no reason to be here. This is because there is no chance that you will ever be in that potential situation. That's why you should leave the discussion to those who do have that chance, however small it may be.

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
Well, then you should have known the risk when you signed up for the tournament.
?

does this somehow prove the risk is good, meaningful or was a necessary addition in the first place? that is the question of the thread, i believe.

Darkfur said:
Actually, a lot of us here aren't getting stressed, we've already accepted the fact that it's in the game. We are just discussing how we feel it was a poor addition over all because of the fact that can completely gimp people in tournament enviornment where money is on the line. It's happened before in other situations, which is why items are banned.

The problem most of us see is that there are situations where it is impossible to adapt to the occurrence because enough frames have yet to pass before you can react, but enough have passed that you can be damaged, or it's just not humanly possible TO react fast enough. Yes the chance is low, but tell that to the person it happens to.

We aren't whining, we are discussing a hypothetical situation. If you aren't part of the tournament community at all, then this has no effect on you, and thus you really have no reason to be here. This is because there is no chance that you will ever be in that potential situation. That's why you should leave the discussion to those who do have that chance, however small it may be.
exactly

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad we could agree to disagree with each other without flaming, name calling, and other such things. I will bow out of this conversation for now, then.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
The guy is still whining, and he still won. "I was playing with him" thats what he gets for sand bagging. Regardless, tripping can happen to anyone at all, it's your own fault if you can't react to it fast enough, the other guy has just as much chance as you to trip, and don't tell me if you were in a tournament and the guy tripped, you wouldn't try to at least get a hit in. Because after all, competitive playing is all about playing to win, and I seriously see not a difference between shine spiking some guy trying to get on a ledge and hitting someone who's just tripped.

It's how the game is, whether the character trips up or the person playing a character trips up and does an unsafe move and gets punished for it, you'll really have to learn to live with it if tripping isn't removed from the game somehow...but that's just me.
Who cares if your opponent can trip too? It's still gay if YOU trip when victory and money are on the line.
You can't get around this. In any other game, this would be unacceptable bulls***, but in Brawl it's fine and "it's your own fault" for not dealing with a window of vulnerability that the game forces upon you without warning. There are times when you simply can't get up fast enough. Period. This is nothing short of irritating and ridiculous.

This is not the same as shine spiking someone at all. To shine spike someone, you actually have to get the off the stage. That actually takes effort. They can see it coming. It is not random.

We are going to have to live with tripping and we're going to b**** about it too.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I love how some in the competitive community are whining about a party game not conforming to their competitive whim. God forbid you find a competitive player figure out how to adapt....:rolleyes:

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
1. I think that you're just mad because you got KOed once. You won, what's the big deal? Whiner.

2. It's staying in, get over it. I bet they put it in because (*gasp*) the game is supposed to be random! Removing the randomness is like removing what makes the game special.

3. It isn't dumb, it's natural. In real life people trip when they try to run around like that. That would be like saying that tripping was dumb to put in real life. (a little bit like that)

4. "Stupidest" is not a word. Instead use it like such: "You are the most stupid person in this thread."

xenero

Smash Apprentice
Okay, um, I've seen a lot of threads about tripping but no one's found a solution so far, and it's been talked to death. I personally don't think it's a big deal because you can roll out of it fairly quickly. But I'm sure there will be compensation in the professional scene.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
\2. It's staying in, get over it. I bet they put it in because (*gasp*) the game is supposed to be random! Removing the randomness is like removing what makes the game special.

3. It isn't dumb, it's natural. In real life people trip when they try to run around like that. That would be like saying that tripping was dumb to put in real life. (a little bit like that)

4. "Stupidest" is not a word. Instead use it like such: "You are the most stupid person in this thread."
2. I believe he knows that he cannot take tripping away from the game. Sure everyone will adapt to it, but it is stupid to add a randomly occurring interruption to everyone like this. I suppose it is like having a player having random wavebird problems during a match, it is not fair or fun to play with.
3. Natural? This is a video game. I suppose with the logic of adding the realistic tripping, we should remove double jumping, reviving after death, anatomically incorrect characters.
4. Wow, a grammar correction. A+.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I love how some in the competitive community are whining about a party game not conforming to their competitive whim. God forbid you find a competitive player figure out how to adapt....:rolleyes:
Oh lawd another one. Read the d*** thread. Tripping is gay no matter who's playing. Even in a party, losing because of tripping is f***ing gay. Your illogical post borders on spam.

1. I think that you're just mad because you got KOed once. You won, what's the big deal? Whiner.

2. It's staying in, get over it. I bet they put it in because (*gasp*) the game is supposed to be random! Removing the randomness is like removing what makes the game special.

1. Tripping is dumb. It is reasonable to argue about dumb s***. It doesn't matter that he won.

2. Randomness makes the game special? This is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. Why not go play rock paper scissors then? The random chance involves oh so much skill and strategy!

3. This is a d*** video game. Who cares what real life is like? We have a large blue pengiunoid with a hammer smashing little psychic boys with baseball bats throwing around balls that contain magical monsters!!! Realism has no place here!
And even if your argument was sound, it would still be f***ing weak. Do YOU randomly fall over every now on perfectly dry surfaces with no outside force acting on you?

4. Stop failing.

Okay, um, I've seen a lot of threads about tripping but no one's found a solution so far, and it's been talked to death. I personally don't think it's a big deal because you can roll out of it fairly quickly. But I'm sure there will be compensation in the professional scene.
You can't roll out of quickly enough to avoid random deaths.

I say...

You won, get over it.

-Onyx
Read above. The match doesn't matter. We are talking about the game mechanic itself.

Fletch

Smash Master
I say...

You won, get over it.

-Onyx
I was going to look up all the times people said this, what the hell does that have to do with anything? Oh great, he won one random match where he tripped, I guess tripping isn't a ridiculous component to include in a game that is played competitively (or at least used to be).

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I'm sick and tired of hearing how random tripping will ruin the game. Now, I see only three options for the TC to do.

1. Deal with random tripping and adapt to it.
2. Go back to playing Melee.
3. Start a petition to convince Nintendo to get random tripping out of Brawl complete with signatures and stuff... An offline snailmail petition, I might add! Companies rarely listen to online petitions.

Complaining to US about tripping won't do any good. We aren't Nintendo.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Oh lawd another one. Read the d*** thread. Tripping is gay no matter who's playing. Even in a party, losing because of tripping is f***ing gay. Your illogical post borders on spam.
Oh, bite me, really. Just because you don't agree doesn't make my argument any less logical. Quit attacking the poster and actually make a point. No one in a party cares, the only people that care, at least to some degree are scrubs parading as competitive's.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Lol, Sakurai must have said "you want to take out my random items!?!? Well I'll show you. . . [insert random tripping]"

Fletch

Smash Master
I'm sick and tired of hearing how random tripping will ruin the game. Now, I see only three options for the TC to do.

1. Deal with random tripping and adapt to it.
2. Go back to playing Melee.
3. Start a petition to convince Nintendo to get random tripping out of Brawl complete with signatures and stuff... An offline snailmail petition, I might add! Companies rarely listen to online petitions.

Complaining to US about tripping won't do any good. We aren't Nintendo.
I think everyone understands it is part of the game and we're stuck with it, but it was just a completely ridiculous thing to implement and will only take fairness and fun out of the game. As far as #2 goes, I'm already kind of hoping for it, but I realize that I'm going to have to stick with Brawl for a while since it will have the biggest community.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Oh, bite me, really. Just because you don't agree doesn't make my argument any less logical. Quit attacking the poster and actually make a point. No one in a party cares, the only people that care, at least to some degree are scrubs parading as competitive's.
I didn't attack you. I said your post was weak and constituted spam. This isn't a matter of opinion.
Tripping doesn't contribute to the game beneficially in anyway. It does the opposite. I have yet to see anyone reasonably argue to the contrary with anything besides BS like "Deal with it" and "It's not that big a deal" .

We're going to have to deal with it, but were not going to f***ing like it, and no one who gets killed by some random trip will say "oh it was so fun" or some BS like that.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I didn't attack you. I said your post was weak and constituted spam. This isn't a matter of opinion.
Tripping doesn't contribute to the game beneficially in anyway. It does the opposite. I have yet to see anyone reasonably argue to the contrary with anything besides BS like "Deal with it" and "It's not that big a deal" .

We're going to have to deal with it, but were not going to f***ing like it, and no one who gets killed by some random trip will say "oh it was so fun" or some BS like that.
In a casual group, no, they still won't care. I can see it maybe in competitive, but considering the fact the game is supposed to be more aerial now anyways, i don't see what everyone's gripe is anyway.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Hypothetically, if tripping was added due to an abuse of repeatedly starting a dash animation, and turning and dashing in the opposite direction before you get into a dash turnaround animation, to stop the abuse of this mechanic in the game as a 'glitch' similar to other aspects of the games mechanics being abused that were also eliminated like momentum air dodging and hitting a Shield button while hitting the ground in an air move animation. Don't you Dashdancers only really have yourselves to blame on this one?

I mean, hypothetically speaking of course.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
In a casual group, no, they still won't care. I can see it maybe in competitive, but considering the fact the game is supposed to be more aerial now anyways, i don't see what everyone's gripe is anyway.

WTF!!!! :mad: :mad: Stop it now,or Ill report!

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
It's the random element. It's necessary for making a good game. I'm not saying I support or like it...

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
There's really no point. After playing a game and having this happen to me,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfzrmqIYP_A @ 00:38

I think it's the dumbest thing Sakurai has ever done in the history of Smash.

This was just a friendly match and wasn't evenly matched either. SH91 was trying out his Ike and my Fox is pretty matured, but imagine a very close match and tournament. It's like randomly spawning exploding capsules all over again, but there's no fix (as of yet)
i have to agree, tripping is pretty lame. it wont stop me from playing the game, but still, pretty lame.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
For goodness sake... does anyone actually use their heads here? Or actually read through threads? Particularly important parts in RED.

I stand with the people that dislike tripping. It pains me to see so many people telling those of us who play this game for money to just "get over it and deal with it" when something RANDOM causes an ill effect in a match and causes us to lose.

Don't tell me "Oh, it's in the game and there's nothing you can do about it!" I know it's in the game. I know there's nothing I can do about it. The problem here is the very fact that it even EXISTS in the first place? There was no point whatsoever to add such a gaming mechanic.

"But it's fair 'cause it gives a disadvantage to everyone!" Yes, this is true, but why would you want to just hand out disadvantages? Why not make things better for everyone instead? Would it really be FINE to you if someone came to your house and handed you a big, steaming bag of **** only to say "Oh, it's fine. I'm giving one of these out to everyone to be fair." No, it's NOT fine! Same with tripping! Just because it's bad for everyone doesn't change the fact that it's BAD!

Everyone, get it through your head. We are not complaining just because we can't take it out. We are not complaining just because we want to whine and not get over it. We are for SURE not saying that we're not gonna buy the game just because tripping is there. ALL we are saying is that tripping was a TERRIBLE idea for the game that should NOT have been done!
I agree. Everyone does need to get over it since nothing can be done about it. But I also agree that tripping will be an uncontrollably unfair and potentially fatal factor in places where your skill should determine whether or not you get 10,000 dollars.

Still looking forward to Brawl though. I don't play in tournaments all that much, but I do play in them. Tripping doesn't bother me when I plan to play casually. I think it's a funny edition to the chaos. However, in the competitive scene I see it as nothing but an liability...

POINT OF THREAD (So people will stop being idiots and realize he doesn't care about th match):

...He isn't complaining about his match, he's talking about if it happened to someone in a tournament with a large amount of money on the line on the last stock.
Pay close attention to this. Especially the part in RED:
Actually, a lot of us here aren't getting stressed, we've already accepted the fact that it's in the game. We are just discussing how we feel it was a poor addition over all because of the fact that can completely gimp people in tournament environment where money is on the line. It's happened before in other situations, which is why items are banned.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
Personally, I just don't understand why it's in the game. It makes no logical sense for the Brawlers to just randomly trip. I mean, on ice floors, running the wrong way up a conveyer belt, or a banana peel, those make sense. Random tripping on unstable surfaces makes so much more sense. Random tripping on any surface makes no sense.
I agree with this strongly.

If there is something there to cause tripping (be it terrain or an actual player), then I see it as a fine mechanic. However it randomly occurring while doing something as mundane as dashing is bad design from a competitive standpoint. If there was an option to turn it off, it would be great, because a character randomly tripping could be another fun random factor for casual players but its not; its core gameplay.

Oh well. I still plan on enjoying brawl despite tripping.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
U was getting owned anyway, that trip gave a good excuse for you. So stop whine , its fine, learn to beat ike.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
Okay, seriously. This thread has degenerated into a flamewar over something that we cannot change.

I don't like tripping. You don't like tripping. We all HATE tripping.

But we can't do jack about it. So let's be friends, k?

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
OP needs his bah-bah!
And you need to learn how to read.

Is this going to need to be posted on every page?

"For goodness sake... does anyone actually use their heads here? Or actually read through threads? Particularly important parts in RED.

I stand with the people that dislike tripping. It pains me to see so many people telling those of us who play this game for money to just "get over it and deal with it" when something RANDOM causes an ill effect in a match and causes us to lose.

Don't tell me "Oh, it's in the game and there's nothing you can do about it!" I know it's in the game. I know there's nothing I can do about it. The problem here is the very fact that it even EXISTS in the first place? There was no point whatsoever to add such a gaming mechanic.

"But it's fair 'cause it gives a disadvantage to everyone!" Yes, this is true, but why would you want to just hand out disadvantages? Why not make things better for everyone instead? Would it really be FINE to you if someone came to your house and handed you a big, steaming bag of **** only to say "Oh, it's fine. I'm giving one of these out to everyone to be fair." No, it's NOT fine! Same with tripping! Just because it's bad for everyone doesn't change the fact that it's BAD!

Everyone, get it through your head. We are not complaining just because we can't take it out. We are not complaining just because we want to whine and not get over it. We are for SURE not saying that we're not gonna buy the game just because tripping is there. ALL we are saying is that tripping was a TERRIBLE idea for the game that should NOT have been done!
I agree. Everyone does need to get over it since nothing can be done about it. But I also agree that tripping will be an uncontrollably unfair and potentially fatal factor in places where your skill should determine whether or not you get 10,000 dollars.

Still looking forward to Brawl though. I don't play in tournaments all that much, but I do play in them. Tripping doesn't bother me when I plan to play casually. I think it's a funny edition to the chaos. However, in the competitive scene I see it as nothing but an liability...

POINT OF THREAD (So people will stop being idiots and realize he doesn't care about th match):

...He isn't complaining about his match, he's talking about if it happened to someone in a tournament with a large amount of money on the line on the last stock.
Pay close attention to this. Especially the part in RED:
Actually, a lot of us here aren't getting stressed, we've already accepted the fact that it's in the game. We are just discussing how we feel it was a poor addition over all because of the fact that can completely gimp people in tournament environment where money is on the line. It's happened before in other situations, which is why items are banned.

"

Rakath

Smash Ace
You keep repeating it without bothering to acknowledge the theory that MAYBE Tripping was added as a way to suggest not dashdancing.

Do you think L-Cancel, Crouchcancel, wavedashing were eliminated by chance or luck? Do you think that maybe this was an addition to specifically deter the abuse of dash start-up? Tripping happens at the start of a dash, Dashdancing repeatedly starts up the Dash animation.

First: Tripping happens to everyone, not just tournament people. While the stakes will be lower for casuals, tripping is still an interferance. However, suggesting it was added just to annoy everyone when there is a perfectly good reason why an anti-dash-abuse mechanic would be added looks odd. Sakurai is punishing people for abusing dashing. Foxtrot and Dash Dance are tourney level techs, and are hindered by tripping.

Second: Repeating yourself is dumb, if they didn't read you last page they aren't going to read it this page.

Third: If my theory is true, and it is tournament based play that creates these countermeasures in the game. You guys should think hard before abusing an aspect of the physics engine and end up with something worse next-go-round.

Top Bottom