• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Is fair to dtilt safe? I thought that Kirby could dash to shield and grab you out of the fair. :/

And thanks guys. I played that guy again after taking some of your advice and I could consistently 3 stock him for about 10 games in a row. Its not much since we're both unranked but at least I know I'm doing something better. >_>

Staco

Smash Champion
Empty fairs are not save against most characters. (except you space them backwards + late fair)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^late fair *****

TKD does it a lot (or atleast was doing it at WGF), but I never see anyone else do it. Like short hop, retreat, then fair at the last moment you can for it to autocancel.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I watched the first video of the set (I will try and watch the other 4 later),

I think you have pretty good techskill, and at base look like a good player so its hard for me to help other than little things.

I think that you spotdodge/dash shield to much as an approach and it can get punished without a read very easily, I also think that the edge pressure game could use some work.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Firstoff, never nado against a Diddy which is grabbing a banana.
Second, don't always use bananas against Diddy. Sometimes is just better to throw them osffstage.
Nair is nice while trying to gimp Diddy. Use it smartly.

I may come up with more later.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Don't throw naners off stage, he'll just pluck them right back.

Play keep away with his bananas, throw them onto plats or up in the air and punish him for going after them

.i/p.

Smash Cadet
Well dudes i wanna show you some vids of me and of a friend... we are the bests Mks from colombia/south america ... this is the youtube account http://www.youtube.com/user/BraySh

mmm if you wanna say something about the vids..please comment in youtube..
Im IP and my friend is Sky .... check the level from colombia ;)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Hello boards, I'm Sky, a MK main from Colombia. Please take a look at these 2 vids from winners finals at the last tourney in mi city (Feb. 12th/2011). Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance (Y). I play Blue Metaknight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2F-KUAmrLI&feature=related (Match 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol_d6zX9RNM&feature=related (Match 2)
good character control
bad stage control. u fair then u run away and shield at nothing and give ur opponent so much more room. y wud u do that. pressure him.

1:29
DC onto the ledge
he would have died

u guys just spam fair
just run up and break that shiet

m2k copier LOL

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Earla, you played well, except you really need to camp better ....
You lost two decently large leads (from your first match)

Ghostbone

Smash Master

SAX

Smash Ace
tips on camping better?
Don't approach. Lol
Literally, just wait till your opponent gets annoyed enough to approach you, and then take percent lead by reading their approach. It's all about patience.

.i/p.

Smash Cadet
Hey don't forget chile bro, I really want to see how I do against you and Sky.
LOL bro i never said that we are the best from south america.. i just said south america to ubicate our country :D .. some people dont know where colombia is..

Exdeath

Smash Master
Omni's Set with GiMR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRjNLjQcebc

Game 1:

:46 - Match begins.

:55 - When G&W DIed that way, you should have only taken ~ a step away so that you could have full room to react, as opposed to dashing away like you did. Also, it would have been a good idea to GSL>immediate cancel at G&W when he tried to land. The outcomes are that G&W gets hit in his post-air dodge lag or landing lag; G&W shields Up-B and technically can Up-B (wind box comes out frame 2 IIRC)/PS>Jab/be able to regain ground (falling through the platform would leave him open to glide attack instead because it would either hit him, whiff against his air dodge which would still allow you to recover first>hit him, or clash with his move set>recover first>hit him). Practically speaking, this won't ever be punished unless it's a hard read with excellent timing (even with hard reads, everything except wind boxing you is quite impractical and falling through the platform should have G&W in a bad position outside of a hard read, in which case it will be a neutral position at close range).

:57 - He could have shield poked you because you weren't tilting your shield. This is mostly personal preference, but when G&W short hops toward me/the ledge like that, I like to walk just outside of his Fair range>turn around>Dtilt. It covers his low AD onto the stage and allows you to react to anything else. It lacks the shield damage and mostly removes the possibility of a random hammer (I've been SHSide-Bed when Up-Bing G&W before).

:58 - You Neutral Bed too high; he could have wind boxed you instead.

1:01 - Even though it worked, you probably shouldn't have dropped right in front of a G&W dashing at you. He had time to react>punish your drop through.

1:04 - As a general rule of thumb, punish with Up-B when in doubt.

1:24 - He whiffed Dair right above you and you let him get away. You're clearly uncomfortable with G&W's Dair. Try taking G&W into training mode and just get a feel for how long it lasts.

1:30 - As a sidenote, ledge release>rising Nair onto the stage is very safe and covers G&W's early Up-B (I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that G&W can grab the ledge during his invincibility frames). If you think that he's going to Up-B a little later, you can ledge release> jump onto the stage and Dair just before you land (don't worry about auto-canceling it; you have ample time before he can act if he grabs the ledge or lands on the stage).

1:31 - I know that you're baiting G&W, but you're still giving him too much space to breathe. G&W requires a considerable amount of space in order to jump/move forward/space and as a result, trapping him on the ledge is extremely effective.

1:39 - When G&W is shielding with his back to you, you can just Dtilt him and he can only Up-B out, drop shield>turn around for change in position (loses to grab alternatively allows situation reset in favor of you if you want to get some more space/walk away>turn around>Dtilt/you get the idea) PS>turn around>Jab/Shield. If he spot dodges, you can hit him anyway. G&W's rolls let you Fsmash them on read (if you have a very good reaction time, you can Fsmash G&W's rolls on reaction). Up-B puts G&W in a bad position. A good/smart G&W will probably turn around>shield. Alternatively, you can just walk up and grab him or walk up>Up-B. Don't dash grab him, because if he reads that/spot dodges, you can get punished quite hard and he's much more likely to regain stage control. Up-B isn't actually good, but if G&W isn't expecting it then he won't punish within the guaranteed window and it gives you a lot of mix-ups that the G&W players is much less likely to be experienced with (glide cancel>stuff is very underrated).

1:41 - You're too aggressive with your Fair spacing and GiMR is finally punishing it. In general, you space a little too closely to G&W, which gives more punishes. The positive of close spacing is that you're more likely to beat a drop shield>walk away, but GiMR starts compensating for the spacing change here.

2:14 - This is another case of shielding by the ledge not being very effective and is covered by walk away>turn around>Dtilt. As a side note, your away>dash toward bait is pretty obvious at this point and leaves you open to walk forward>Fsmash. To be honest, I'm really surprised that GiMR hasn't taken advantage of that habit by this point in the match.

2:24 - GiMR spaced slightly too far away from the ledge and allowed you to return to the stage. You should have taken advantage of that and been safe with your large lead instead of being greedy for a Ftilt of all things.

2:32 - Shielding as close as possible to the ledge was one of the worst options available to you. He could have Up-bed and knocked you off of the stage, giving him full stage control and ledge trapping you for free.

2:41 - That spaced Dtilt is what I was talking about. It covers G&W's ledge options very well.

2:49 - You're too greedy and let GiMR return to the stage, yet again. What you should have done is just space Uairs before his Dair range. His only options would be Up-B, jump, fall through platform, AD, or attack which would have put him in a bad position, put him in a bad position, been frame trapped and sent him back off stage/up and been hit by Uair, respectively.

3:05 - You should have reacted to his early Fair by canceling glide. You could have either played it safe and hit him with a rising aerial/rising Neutral B/rising Side-B or you could have foot stooled him and gimped him at 46%. Instead, you were gimped at 69%.

3:11 - You space too closely to the ledge. Unless you read G&W being within Fsmash's range off-stage but not on-stage, the Fsmash spacing that covers the most options is the traditional Fsmash ledge guard: Spaced so that it will hit the tip of the shield of get-up>shield. No option beats it except from above, which you can react to>punish anyway by releasing>Fsmash and shielding or walking away.

3:20 - You once again let G&W back onto the stage with little pressure.

3:22 - I think that this was a technical error, but just in case, don't whiff pivot grabs/any grabs in G&W's face. :p

3:25/3:27 - As many times as you've missed guaranteed punishes because you went for a better option that was for a different read, I think that it would been very helpful for this set if you replaced your close-range punishes (other than shielding) with Up-B.

3:31 - Too much forward spacing on your Fair once again does you a disservice.

3:33 - Dair instead of air dodge was guaranteed. You reacted to his whiff with a dodge.

3:47 - Once again, I assume that the jab was a technical error, however you should have punished with Up-B/Dair/Nair unless you were going for a grab (because grab is the most rewarding).

3:55 - ?

4:01 - That was a bad idea and GiMR definitely should have punished you for it.

4:04 - Another quick-fix-by-replacing-with-Up-B.

4:10 - You should have Up-Bed him. If he beat it with something, he wouldn't be able to grab the ledge and you would still be able to cancel it and grab the ledge regardless.

4:16 - Gliding/glide attack wasn't necessary a bad idea for the situation, but just canceling glide into Uair would have baited him into Dairing into the Uair (which would have killed), and even if he didn't take the bait, it would be safe.

4:24 - :)

4:26 - Nair/FFUp-B toward the stage were guaranteed punishes that would have killed him

4:44 - He got your dash attack this time. I can't really say that I recommend dash attack at all outside of a read, and even then there are safer options.

As a closing note, ledge guarding/trapping is probably the most important aspect in this match-up that you can improve on and, in my opinion, is one of -- if not -- the most important factor in this match-up on both sides. /Hope it helps.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Hi
I would like someone to critique my match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4zgX7T_7TM

I would like general advice (ie, something wrong with my spacing, how I'm approaching, something I didn't pick up on etc), not specific time thing like how Xdeath does it, if that is okay.

Thx =D

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
He was playing hardcore aggressive. Running in and shielding->punish could've ***** 80% of the stuff he threw out.

I'm not saying play completely defensive, but try to react more instead of forcing your approach vs his. Shielding>all approaches besides dash grab. And approaching with dash grab unless they read you = never gonna happen. :D

Kaffei

Smash Hero
He was playing hardcore aggressive. Running in and shielding->punish could've ***** 80% of the stuff he threw out.

I'm not saying play completely defensive, but try to react more instead of forcing your approach vs his. Shielding>all approaches besides dash grab. And approaching with dash grab unless they read you = never gonna happen. :D
Hmm.. Now that I think about that I did get impatient a LOT.

Thanks RM & table. =) ♥

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsWwnzYqTNI&feature=channel_video_title

Here is game 2 because game 1 I went peach for lolz. Hades is the best yoshi in my region and he ***** me. He also throws a lot of eggs. Christ.
I have a lot of issues fighting yoshi, he makes me panicy, cuz I can't kill him. @_@ any tips are very appreciated. Also I'm not sure if I was using brinstar to my advantage or not.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Dash in and GSL/Grab/FRoll when he camps eggs like that. :O

Try not to rush in with tornado right in after you're hit out of one. = free Usmash. Just know that usually when they hit you out of nado with a projectile they won't try again. They'll go for something that beats Nado harder if they can. :/

GSL or Dair(comes out 1 frame slower than Nair, but has muuuuch, much, much more range) punish everything he has on shield. xD

Top Bottom