• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne Meetups and Socialness - EARL IS COMING BACK

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
So khoa is coming, which means I'm wanting to organize some doubles competition. Who's willing?

Leisha you can crash at mine if that helps.

:phone:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Oh, I was never aware of this. Thats a shame to see him go since he was a strong player here. Guess people come and go though.

Anyway, I don't know whether I'm finishing at 4 or 6 tomorrow, so I'll arrive either an hour and half after those times. I'll bring my laptop along, and maybe my wii if its needed. I'll try unlock **** on the other wiis aswell so they're out of the way too.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Obviously he quit because he won the biggest tournament of the year and got shafted on the prize money.

:phone:

Splice

Smash Hero
More like the fact everyone thought it was ok and let it go by uncontested
The lack of respect

S.D

Smash Master
It went by uncontested in Queensland at Summersmash this year when the melee pot was injected into Brawl... (on the day by a third party mind you) I went along to that, got shafted and I didn't quit because of it... In any case Nova's injections are more like private athlete or club sponsorship, it's his money he can do what he wants with it... If he gave it to some guy in the street I doubt he would make it rain just to share with his fellow man.

No disrespect to Earl, but surely we're all motivated to play because we enjoy it above all else??? Although I have heard there were other contributing factors so I don't claim to know the whole story.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Everyone in melee got shafted then though and like you said it was due to a third party "mistake", with this 2nd place got more then 1st place in brawl even with a boost. That's the part I personally have a problem with, singling out one person saying YOU don't get money because I don't like YOU and then no one else in the scene even mentioning it until much later (I only found out because I asked why Earl left about 2 weeks ago). I agree that people should play games competitively for the enjoyment, the money is just a bonus, too bad it's all about the $$$ now.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Yeah, very well said Tak. Not much we can do though since its Nova's money and his choice after all. Anyway thats all I'll comment on that because its not really my business anyway.

I'll be at the venue a bit later tomorrow, I tried to see if I could do my shift earlier but I couldn't resolve a deal. Should get to the venue around 7:30ish to 8pm.

Will be good to see you all =). Is there anything else extra I should bring along btw?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
I agree that people should play games competitively for the enjoyment, the money is just a bonus, too bad it's all about the $$$ now.
Nobody in smash, Earl included, comes for the money, It is not "all about the $$$". If people wanted money they would go and work for the day and make real money. To even suggest smash is all about the money is ********.

Splice

Smash Hero
Like I said it's lack of respect. It's not that Earl didn't get the money or that he felt he deserved it but no-one had sympathy and no-one acted like he'd done anything to earn it once it was denied, and continuously getting **** for his character etc.

It must be lonely at the top.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I'll admit even I judged Earl at times for playing metaknight, although I'm a pretty salty player in general. I dont think I would now.. Dont really know.

Lack of respect as well has torn the community a bit. I am a bit pessimistic about a 2013 smash group. =(.

But! We'll see~

Whos comfirmed for tomorrow?

Toshi

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, tomorrow we have a meet.

I guess i'll be there at around 6 - 7. Probably.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
just a few things on want to say on the topic:

1. i don't know earl on a social level, but I respect him as a player. he's got more dedication than 99% of players that I know, and is constantly seeking to improve. I've always assumed that he was aiming for the top, not for the cash.

2. nova's money is nova's money. in this instance, nova was acting as a third party, giving his own cash to people he liked who placed high. this is completely his decision and has nothing to do with anyone else. if, for instance, nova used money from entry fees to pay off other players, this would be wrong and the community would rebel. similarly, if nova himself organized a tournament specifically alienating specific players from winning money, i would think that the community (in part, at least), would rebel. but in this particular situation, nova actually had nothing to do with the tournament, nor to do with the organization running it. he acted on his own accord, giving his own funds to people he chose. and because of this, it has nothing to do with any of us.

3. using the best player in a game will always come with a degree of baggage. yep, it's gonna happen. earl cops it the same way most top players in the states do. more mks down here would also cop it if they stepped up their game <3. but seriously, it comes with the territory. hell, i cop **** for using snake, who's not even that good. i ain't gonna quit the game over it. it's just **** talk, that's it. if you get affected by this type of thing, you need to man up.

4. players earn respect in many different ways. winning is but a single way to get the respect of your peers, and is most definitely the hardest to maintain. if earl feels that he is not getting the respect he deserves, then perhaps he needs to consider why that may be.

5. earl needs to comment. i would like to set him straight and regain one of this community's strongest players.

Top Bottom