• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 2011 CouchWarriors - 12th Nov - The Hive, Box Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibs7

Smash Champion
*sigh* i was really looking forward to playing teams this tourny............................

aw well just win singles and a MM with splice 2g. ;)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
dean i'll team with you for brawl. we shouldn't have sucked so badly last time -- let's get better. i might have one of those days where i **** and get 3rd lol

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I'm like, completely running Brawl this Sunday. Leisha if you want, run it along side me to get some exp before next weekend.

Rules stay the same (stage list decided, all that other stuff)
Also I want to charge $2.50 pp ($5 per team) for Brawl doubles. This is an attempt to make doubles more competitive again, it's severely lacking.

So $7.50 total for Brawl alone (obviously excluding Melee and CW entry fee) just like teh ol' steegmah dayz.

Anyway...thoughts?
you should make the stage list the same as for ACL imo. makes sense :)

also i vote $5 pp for brawl doubles aswell.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
be interested to see if people who arent gonna win doubles want the extra pot, also.

tibs and i will take your money next time lol

Splice

Smash Hero
Well Afro and I are only ones gonna win doubles

And Nicks Earl and Conor have expressed interest in $5 dollars
So i guess, Attila, that people who arent gonna win doubles do want the extra pot.

I mean, theres actually more to practice in doubles, and the matches are more hype and exciting, and the outcome is often more unsure. :) Some people practice for doubles more intently than Singles yo

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
I'd rather spend the least amount of money possible on stuff Smash related but I'm garbs so who cares about me.

Also um Jei, could we receive a bit of a clarification on the ruleset? Like I saw Frigate get counterpicked last tournament but I didn't think that was legal, and stuff.

Also I think we all miss Conor :(

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i think a pot for teams at the monthlies is bad, let alone $5pp... my 2c

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
$5 per person per team would be more expensive than that major thing we're having in little over a week...

Will there be time for a side event? I miss low tier.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
It's more that most people aren't hugely keen for team in the first place, basically treat it as a warm up, if you introduce a payment some people will drop teams and play friendlies instead (aka free warm up instead lol)

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Mmm i guess thats true, I just play teams because its more fun than singles lol.

Well anyway, I'll just hang around with you jei and try to learn what to do for running a tournament. Although it doesn't sound too hard i don't think.

We'll see anyway =P

Dekar289

Smash Hero
yakked on about this on irc but i'll try to summarize pro like here
imoooo
since our scene is like small and we want to promote it and grow etc, a teams pot ain't the way to go
people still take teams seriously... but when they're no dough involved you can like team with anyone, whereas when mr evil money is present people tend to only team with people their own skill level
since without a pot people are more inclined to team with people they otherwise wouldn't you often get a less predictable tournament, and pros teaming with noobs is a good way to teach the noobs and get them into some serious intense situations they otherwise wouldn't experience in first round singles lol
plus it like promotes the social side of smash and etc etc, many positives

buttt this is just one side of the argument... i understand and appreciate the view that teams with no pot means we're implying it's not as important or doesn't take as much skill as singles... still let's face it, singles is always the main event. dr pp won pound 5, but you can remember who won teams? was it as memorable? did people care as much?
so i guess i sorta agree with whatever way we do (yeyuhz) but i'd prefer the former

Splice

Smash Hero
Dekar makes some valid points, not all ones i agree with but still holding weight.
Also has considered both sides. Very nice approach Dekar!

So like the man implied, it depends on what you want seriously. We've had SOME (not many) newcomers, few have really stayed. I dont think there is going to be a lot of skilled growth in new comers in Brawl, although in jezzas crew and some few others we have a bit of growth.

At the moment my concern is the motivation of the current scene. The game has halted growth mostly but isn't dead. So my interest is to keep up competition between those already involved, and keep up the skill and the motivation to practice game, and feel like there is still something to work towards, and in competitive doubles (as i know that doubles is a strong competitive motivator for a decent amount of our top players) I believe we have a means to add a bit more meaning to the scene.

Whilst preferring $5
I do not mind $2.50
No pot is ridiculous, in my opinion, giving the situation, or at least, in the case of some grand delusion on my part, how i feel about the current atmosphere of the Brawl community.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
there's still plenty to prac up for, acl, sydney major feat m2k, melb major later in the year
besides even though no pot may alter team combinations i think people still take it seriously, they play to win

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Holy ****, Dekar made a logically coherent and well thought out argument without any trolling???

Oh my GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Personally I just enjoy teams far more than Singles, and so I would like it if teams were taken more seriously than they are here. I too would be happy with $2.50 for teams, however I strongly feel that having no pot is a bad move.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
more often than not my 'trolling' is just caused by my disbelief that anyone could be so ******** as to not agree with my viewpoint
or just be so ******** in the first place
also it's entertaining, and i am the entertainer. for incredibly well articulated, well thought out posts, please see the understander.

Splice

Smash Hero
there's still plenty to prac up for, acl, sydney major feat m2k, melb major later in the year
besides even though no pot may alter team combinations i think people still take it seriously, they play to win
I certainly am practicing up for ACL and Melb Major. Id go to Sydney but its during school so i cant :/

But I really enjoyed the consistant hype during 2009 and most of 2010, interest in the results everytime... Each tourney was very big. Its definitely more casual now.

Although I didnt mention this before, lets discuss what you say about the team combinations;
The heart of our scene are generally gonna team with someone within their skill range or someone they can do well with and the competition between the top 3/4 teams is gonna be increased by a pot defs, but the teams wont change coz of pot, they are like set teams so its a non-issue. Also the thing you said about n00bs teaming with pr0s but still playing to win doesnt work as well in brawl seeing as its much harder to carry in. Well from what ive seen. Im sure it might be better for Melee to not have doubles pot. I dont know.

I feel quite strongly it would help Brawl in some respects.

But yes I have made my pointss now I dont really have anything more to say Deks, take from it what you will I guess.

Perhaps more importantly, for hype,
We need to do crews.

That's a big issue imo

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Well I'd be more inclined to try in doubles it there was something better to win. Having no pot kinda fails. I also perfer doubles competitvely than singles.

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
pros teaming with noobs is a good way to teach the noobs and get them into some serious intense situations they otherwise wouldn't experience
this.
This is exactly what happened with me and dekar. taught me heaps about playing against fox and how teams is supposed to be played.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
daylight savings ends sunday at 3, so remember to turn clocks back an hour saturday night before you go to sleep
otherwise you rockup an hour early... and help set up and play friendlies
whatevs =D

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
I can appreciate the good reasons for not having a pot for teams in terms of pros teaming with noobs but I for one also really like doubles as a serious competition format. It doesn't have to be all one way or the other, perhaps every other monthly could have a pot?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
you can just reduce the pot and include them in all events -- like, say, $2 per head like SF scene.

i'm just throwing out ideas that might help -- we suffer from a polarisation of different interests: 1) providing a worthwhile source of money for the sake of competition and 2) allowing an accessible event for poor people i.e. everyone.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
splices take on the state of the brawl scene (and specifically in regards to doubles) is how I feel aswell.

tourneys had much more hype 09/10.

in addition to this, it seems that most people in the scene enjoy doubles more than singles and want a pot in doubles. on this page alone 5 people (leish, connor, atticus, splice and myself) have expressed this... seems like the general opinion.

and to look at the other side so peeps dont say im being biased;

1. i really dont think an extra $2.50 or $5 a month is going to make anybody broke.

2. in regards to dekars argument about helping noobs to get better. personally for me back when i was a noob at brawl (and now in melee!) i find that being beaten convincingly by a better team motivates me to train harder/change my gameplan etc...
also some noobs might feel if they team with a good player that they are just being carried by the good player and feel bad by making the team lose.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
also some noobs might feel if they team with a good player that they are just being carried by the good player and feel bad by making the team lose.
This is true...

I remember back in the day when I went to Queensland, I teamed with ricky back when I was terrible at the game and pretty much got us a terrible placing =/. Although I don't think it bothered him really, but I was pretty annoyed at my performance. But its the past i guess xD.

But yeah, seriously, 2.50 or 5 bucks for a month isnt going to kill you. People just lose motivation to play competitively if theres no prize (or very small prize)

Anyway, lets hope I dont have that nasty heartburn again this time. I dont what to play through matches while being half delirious xD

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Just so you guys know, last month some of the newer guys didn't enter brawl singles because it cost money

If you think money is a positive, you need to keep the players such as that in mind.

Kier.F

Smash Apprentice
Not that i play brawl or anything but I wouldn't pay to enter teams it is still pretty hype and a lot more enjoyable rocking up and teaming with someone at random I'd have never have had the chance to play with Tak, Dekar or Jei in doubles had there been money involved no doubt and yeah people will come and go but if the atmosphere is fresh and enjoyable they're more likely to stay than when it becomes elitist and money is involved you'll probably find the newer players leaving a lot quicker because they cant compete with the better players :/ yeah its not a lot of money but i dont think someone is going to show up every month to spend possibly 10-20 $ entering all events just to lose and not getting the opportunity to relax & meet people as easily

Also whoops, told my friends this was going to be on Saturday and made them get the day off... my bad :/

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Not that i play brawl or anything but I wouldn't pay to enter teams it is still pretty hype and a lot more enjoyable rocking up and teaming with someone at random I'd have never have had the chance to play with Tak, Dekar or Jei in doubles had there been money involved no doubt and yeah people will come and go but if the atmosphere is fresh and enjoyable they're more likely to stay than when it becomes elitist and money is involved you'll probably find the newer players leaving a lot quicker because they cant compete with the better players :/ yeah its not a lot of money but i dont think someone is going to show up every month to spend possibly 10-20 $ entering all events just to lose and not getting the opportunity to relax & meet people as easily

Also whoops, told my friends this was going to be on Saturday and made them get the day off... my bad :/
We still gonna see any of em there D:?

Kier.F

Smash Apprentice
My mates? I hope so... but unlikely :( But slowly getting more of the people I know interested and they'll be coming with me defs when they can next time... plus they want to see me get owned pretty badly..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom