• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Doesn't Blazer have super armour on startup? Either that or everything I've ever known about the move is wrong, and I've fought Roy a hell of a lot in recent times.

Doesn't matter either way. The Roy players I know have become too adept at using it as a mixup themselves. The efficacy of a tool doesn't matter if the player can use it well. It's the kind of thing Roy players need to be good at, since I agree he's otherwise weak as warm dishwater off-stage.
Uh, going to take this opportunity to say what I ment to say...

Since Blazer is a largely horizontal hitbox in front of Roy and lacks any other protection, getting Dair spikes and stage spikes isn't that hard. And since it won't deal full damage unless you're right on top of him to begin with and it mostly launches upwards there's not a lot of threat in getting hit.

Myself, I throw out an arrow (while running or jumping off depending on the situation) to limit his options and work from there.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Doc has one relevant landing option vs. Mario in a matchup at the top level even though he ultimately performs worse (in this specific matchup). This is just the most notable example, not the ONLY one perse

Side-B is much better at landing vs. Needles than Mario's is =V

Also I think Roy's recovery IS one of the worst because he lacks a truly meaningful mixup that stalls him or lets him change the linearity of his angle. Essentially while the timing is varied, his recovery angle is a bit on the....predictable side.

It's by no means unusable though.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Since you can buffer ledge options, ledge trumps should ideally never happen and are (unfortunately) not terrible relevant to high level Smash 4 play. I do not buy that they are totally irrelevant (we do rarely see them happen even in top level matches in frantic, surprise moments), but they are really not a significant factor.
I know I'm making a post featuring Ganon for the thirteen-millionth time, but I really do think this match shows off some really great usage of ledge trumping in Game 1.

1:12 Vermanubis trumps Kimidori and goes for a backwards Wizkick Spike. Had Kimidori not reacted fast enough, he would've died at 27%.

3:02 Vermanubis notices Kimidori buffering out of his trumps. Shortly afterward, he fakes out a trump and instead does a pivot F-tilt, killing Kimidori.

And this is Ganon too, the guy that commits to everything and can't cover multiple options well. I'd imagine faster characters would be able to use this even better. Ledge trumping isn't some all-powerful harbinger of doom, but to say it's purely opportunistic seems extreme.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Pretty sure that when an awkward floaty character is no longer invalidated by melee Marth, melee Sheik, melee Fox, and melee Falco, they have nowhere to go but up.
Yes because fox and sheik no longer poopoo on mewtwo. He still loses to the same characters from melee except for maybe falco. Sorry mangz you're going to have to do better than that.

You know I wasn't actually saying it was right... right? Sarcasm's hard to detect sometimes, sorry?

Here's another egregious neglection: absolutely no mention of Pac-Jump's stage utility.

Well everybody lost wavedashing and double jump cancelling, then lost airdodging into the ground from Brawl so I guess everybody's worse. Besides, Mewtwo got plenty more movement options to replace them, even if they aren't as good offensively as they are defensively. And is it just me, or is frame data for characters in this game generally worse than in Melee?

Yeah, I mean... his recovery is a lot more flexible than is given credit for with it's large angling. He's vulnerable without his second jump but far from helpless, and he can often avoid using it unless he's sent very far away and/or at a low angle. Rather similar to Doc's except faster and with admittedly fewer mixup options.

Honestly, I'm not too sure about that. I don't know melee frame data too well. I can't see some of these characters frame data being too much better from their melee forms. But this is just a guees from looking at how good some of these characters frame data is.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Melee > Brawl > Smash 4 frame data wise. It's actually an extremely accurate trend that pretty much applies to every character. Melee is especially known for crazy good IASAs. Brawl is especially known for very low landing lag. Smash 4 is known for nothing frame data wise.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Melee > Brawl > Smash 4 frame data wise. It's actually an extremely accurate trend that pretty much applies to every character. Melee is especially known for crazy good IASAs. Brawl is especially known for very low landing lag. Smash 4 is known for nothing frame data wise.
I just looked at the frame data between Dr. Mario vs melee doc and compared it to mewtwo vs melee mewtwo and also roy. None of them where hit like mewtwo was. Roy's had a complete overhaul as a character and his biggest change from what I saw was dair being 8 frames slower and fair being 5 frames slower. Other than that it's just a frame. For doc it's just a frame diference.

Mewtwo's ftilt goes from frame 6 to frame ten. Utilt beomes slower as does nair and fair dtilt dsmash uair fsmash...The difference is mostly a frame or two on start up but that changes a lot imo.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yes because fox and sheik no longer poopoo on mewtwo. He still loses to the same characters from melee except for maybe falco. Sorry mangz you're going to have to do better than that.
Most estimates for Mewtwo's matchups against melee Sheik and Marth were at best 2:8, and in some cases declared to be 0:10. There are some who would call Mewtwo vs. melee Marth the single worst matchup in Smash history.

Mewtwo in Smash 4 is just this sort of gimped glass cannon who you still have a constantly respect as you harass, similar to Ganondorf.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Smash 4 known for some characters getting curbstomped by their frame data?

I'm asking, i dunno much about frames except that my main's kinda sucks.

Apeirohaon

Smash Apprentice
can a matchup really be "0:10"? That doesn't make much sense to me, as it implies that a given player would win even if they literally didn't do anything, and obviously no matchup is actually like that

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Yes. It's very possible to basically have no control over an MU in Melee and Brawl, to the point where you might as well forefit.

Things like Dedede/ICs vs fatties in Brawl are examples. Or spacies vs Bowser/Kirby.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
can a matchup really be "0:10"? That doesn't make much sense to me, as it implies that a given player would win even if they literally didn't do anything, and obviously no matchup is actually like that
All matchup numbers are assuming that both players are playing consistently at a top-level (human) performance.

While I doubt Mewtwo/Marth was ever actually 0:10, the fact that this number was actually discussed seriously and represented on mainstream matchup charts is telling.

Ganondorf/Sheik was probably 1:9 at best in Brawl.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Most estimates for Mewtwo's matchups against melee Sheik and Marth were at best 2:8, and in some cases declared to be 0:10. There are some who would call Mewtwo vs. melee Marth the single worst matchup in Smash history.

Mewtwo in Smash 4 is just this sort of gimped glass cannon who you still have a constantly respect as you harass, similar to Ganondorf.
I think people don't quite appreciate how skewed the tier lists were in Melee and Brawl, and you even see some people argue that Sheik is an equally egregious top tier compared to Fox and Meta Knight, which is ridiculous.

I'm not a Melee expert but I did keep an eye on the scene over the years. Mewtwo was rated bottom tier for the longest time, and it was only due to the efforts of players like Taj, who optimized Mewtwo, who found the chain grabs on spacies, who put so much time and effort, that the character was FINALLY elevated to LOW TIER.

If you had 2:8 or worse matchups in Smash 4 against the top tier, no one would doubt you were bottom of the barrel, unless you had some absurd counterpick power. In Melee that makes you "not among the worst."

Melee is a game where there's a character who has reliable setups that can INFINITE EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IN THE GAME regardless of weight or speed or damage or whatever (Ice Climbers), and they're not even top tier!

I don't care how "bad" the matchups seem for Mewtwo in Smash 4. He has a game plan in neutral that has the potential to win against Fox, Sheik, Falcon, Mario, or pretty much anyone, even if it's not always in his favor. He can exploit weaknesses like Fox's lightness, fast falls, floatiness, lack of disjoints, etc. Mewtwo can do things and doesn't have to rely on prayers and Final Destination to accomplish them.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Scattered thoughts on ledge trumps:

I'd like to see more players not make it so obvious that they're going for one (standing still at the ledge). Throw in some foxtrots and SHFFs. Also, the threat of it alone (your opponent buffers a ledge option) can be beneficial to the edgeguarder.

Nairo goes for ledge trumps, and even if they don't work, he's fast enough to cover ledge options with ZSS's n-air. It's a REALLY good snowballing tool.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I disagree with the class cannon bit. He's a high risk liw reward character with underwhelming tools. You don't really need to respect anything he has. Mewtwo is a gimmicky character with bad hitboxes and inconsistent combo strings. I personally think fox vs mewtwo is 8-2 in smash 4. The other mewtwo's haven't give any reason for me to change my opinion. There's other MU's that's pretty bad for him like Kirby which is probably 7-3. I'd go into more but there's no point really. People talk up this character and talk down poor MUs.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
SHI-Gaming is currently streaming a Character Crew Battle Tournament. In Japan, each character has their own online training community, and they regularly do crew battles against each other. 25 character crews are represented in this tournament. Not all players are of the highest level, but you might be able to study some specific matchups and take a look at some wi-fi warriors.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I disagree with the class cannon bit. He's a high risk liw reward character with underwhelming tools. You don't really need to respect anything he has.
Low reward?

He has the most consistent kill throw in the game, the highest damage standard projectile in the game, and heavyweight-class knockback on all his smashes.

His fair does more knockback than Diddy's entire moveset.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Scattered thoughts on ledge trumps:

I'd like to see more players not make it so obvious that they're going for one (standing still at the ledge). Throw in some foxtrots and SHFFs. Also, the threat of it alone (your opponent buffers a ledge option) can be beneficial to the edgeguarder.

Nairo goes for ledge trumps, and even if they don't work, he's fast enough to cover ledge options with ZSS's n-air. It's a REALLY good snowballing tool.
I kind of disagree; making it look obvious instills the threat of it on its own, and if they start thinking you aren't ever going to go for the trump, you're in the best position to call them out.

Also tethers are literally cheating when it comes to trumps. You get to skip the minimum 20 frame ledge hold time if you tether to the ledge, and ZSS has it the easiest by being able to tether to ledges without facing them due to her sideB. It doesn't even matter that the opponent might buffer a ledge option when you get off the ledge earlier than them anyway.

Last edited:

Vechizen

Smash Rookie
In regards to the viability if counter-picking characters, who are the best in terms of stopping Sanic AND Pikachu?

inb4 Sheik

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
In regards to the viability if counter-picking characters, who are the best in terms of stopping Sanic AND Pikachu?
As far as just Pikachu goes, our best current empirical evidence suggests Dr. Mario.

These are confusing days we live in.

TriTails

Smash Lord
So I see Mario's Cape being mentioned a page ago. Is it just me or this move is super underrated?

I rarely ever see a Cape use in CQC. It spins you around and alters your controls for about a second. That's bound to mess up your opponent. It's slow? Maybe. It's active at frame 12, but that is Luigi's F-smash speed and is still unreactable. Not only it deals 7%, it can also lead into funny shenanigans. FAF also at frame 36, that ain't bad.

Oh, and what's this. It reflects projectiles at frame 6. He can reflect things before his Cape is even out.

Maybe I just suck, but Cape messes the hell outta my game. I haven't tested, but a laggy enough attack should be enough for an U-smash or a grab. I mean, this move GOT to be at least a little useful, right? Or is there just something I miss?

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
So I see Mario's Cape being mentioned a page ago. Is it just me or this move is super underrated?

I rarely ever see a Cape use in CQC. It spins you around and alters your controls for about a second. That's bound to mess up your opponent. It's slow? Maybe. It's active at frame 12, but that is Luigi's F-smash speed and is still unreactable. Not only it deals 7%, it can also lead into funny shenanigans. FAF also at frame 36, that ain't bad.

Oh, and what's this. It reflects projectiles at frame 6. He can reflect things before his Cape is even out.

Maybe I just suck, but Cape messes the hell outta my game. I haven't tested, but a laggy enough attack should be enough for an U-smash or a grab. I mean, when you got that kind mobility, this move GOT to be at least a little useful, right? Or is there just something I miss?
It was Doc's Sheet. Mario's cape is just in general worse for CQC because of the stall and his ability to shorthop it without hovering.

Doc's Sheet is pretty good in CQC though as a mixup, for sure.

NairWizard

Somewhere

inb4 Sheik
inb4 a certain Ike player (or the entire Ike playerbase) says Ike.

But Ike is indeed a good choice for it, doing well vs. both.

In fact, Ike is probably your only safe bet besides Sheik. Most other characters who beat one lose to the other or just break even vs. both, for instance Rosalina and ZSS (may) beat Sonic but lose slightly to Pikachu, Ness and Meta Knight (may) beat Pikachu but lose to Sonic, etc.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I always understood Mario as a hard matchup (slight loss?) for Sonic. Having a great usmash to trap landings, a sex kick to beat spindash, and a serviceable projectile goes a long ways.

I don't remember the last time I read about the matchup, but in my head I see Mario doing well. Doc could even do better with a stronger usmash and an mock shoryu to hard punish reckless spindashes. However, he'd suffer trying to catch a Sonic running with a lead.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I got bored and found a channel while looking for decent Falco sets. Let's talk about random setups! *awaits inevitable nO DEeee-IEyE* from people. :p

Falco U-throw, footstool, late Dair, Ftilt reset, Uair, and Up Smash setup: https://youtu.be/-y3ImkPlWjU. Probably the most unreliable footstool setup ever because of how his U-throw functions. Also, betcha some characters wished they had front flips instead of backflips so they could do this: https://youtu.be/7G0wXeX7oCE#t0m06s.

Luigi D-throw, late Nair, and Luigi Cyclone setup: https://youtu.be/FoXmvCKz-wg.

Ganondorf Flame Choke, Dtilt, (ledge cancelled) Wizard's Foot, and aerial Flame Choke/Slam setup: https://youtu.be/z5-0XKs6Ztk.

Yoshi Egg Toss to Fair (and Uair) setup: https://youtu.be/pHQjRC8Tt6c.

Mario D-throw, Dair, Fair, double jab 1 reset, clean Nair, double jab 1 reset again, and Side Smash: https://youtu.be/HBl_fSlOEHY.

Villager Lloid Rocket and Pocket nonsense: https://youtu.be/ws_6qDEjlnw. Item version here: https://youtu.be/iFTjgMXsG3M.

This is what happens when you're bored. Also, post was on mobile, so I don't know if I time-stamped that correctly. Both the app and mobile site for YouTube didn't go to that time...

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Low reward?

He has the most consistent kill throw in the game, the highest damage standard projectile in the game, and heavyweight-class knockback on all his smashes.

His fair does more knockback than Diddy's entire moveset.
Yes the reward on his moves are low. With the exception of disable that gives him the most reward but considering how inconsistent that move is it becomes worse.

Risk vs reward is extremely important in smash so when we look at the reward for moves we have to look at the risk associated with the move. Landing a grab with mewtwo is hard it's even harder when your opponent is at kill percentages. His grab hitbox whiffs depending on your opponents animation /crouch hitbox and he also has low traction making shield grabs more difficult than needed. Whiff grab is more than likely death for mewtwo considering his weight.

As for fair I believe that to be his best move but like his other moves it has its weaknesses. The biggest weakness being the hitbox. With such a seemingly small hitbox you need surgical precision. This move also whiffs and it doesn't seem to beat out many moves/ be a spacing tool. Whiffed fairs can lead to death.

Smash attacks are smash attacks and only truly rewarding when they kill. So when you land an usmash or dsmash or fsmash it feels good. When your fsmash whiffs at point blank you die.

Because of mewtwo's weight he's not afforded the ability to make too many nistskes. Because of his poor hitboxes and being at disadvantage on hit with some things his rewards are pretty low. He has to commit to moves that leave him vulnerable. Even a move like dtilt is useless if you het the wrong hitbox same with utilt uair fair or if they shoot out a different way from nair.

Having a move with high knockback is great but that doesn't make the reward for his hits high. His fair is a great move but compared to some other fairs in the game it's not as good. Some characters can throw out moves and they'll cross up on hit and lead into thing while mewtwo can miss a move while you're standing in his face.

As far as just Pikachu goes, our best current empirical evidence suggests Dr. Mario.

These are confusing days we live in.
Luigi? Sheik? No guess not.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I just looked at the frame data between Dr. Mario vs melee doc and compared it to mewtwo vs melee mewtwo and also roy. None of them where hit like mewtwo was. Roy's had a complete overhaul as a character and his biggest change from what I saw was dair being 8 frames slower and fair being 5 frames slower. Other than that it's just a frame. For doc it's just a frame diference.

Mewtwo's ftilt goes from frame 6 to frame ten. Utilt beomes slower as does nair and fair dtilt dsmash uair fsmash...The difference is mostly a frame or two on start up but that changes a lot imo.
Mario bros generally weren't nerfed much throughout each game. That's why we say Mario and Luigi have the best frame data in this game.

Roy is a huge exception. They took Melee Marth and gave Roy worse start-up, animation speeds, IASAs, mobility (doesn't count as frame data but still) even including roll distances, damage, knockback, landing lag, and autocancels on almost his entire moveset. I honestly don't know how and why Roy existed in that game this way. Honestly, he'd be Melee's worst character by far if he didn't have that Dtilt. So Roy was revamped for Smash 4 and Marth is, in some ways, on the other end of the stick this time. But even still, you can compare frame data between Melee Roy and Smash 4 Marth and Roy and Melee Roy will come out on top in many cases. That fact that this is true is sad.

Smash 4 Bowser is a weird situation but even he is in many ways "nerfed" from Melee. It's the other stuff like his huge range in Smash 4 that completely un-nerf him.

I mean, in general, you see that Melee's most disappointing characters like Kirby, Bowser, Mewtwo, and Roy have been almost "fixed" in Smash 4 but that was in other ways. You still can't clearly say whose frame data is better between these "bad" Melee characters.

Smash 4 known for some characters getting curbstomped by their frame data?
From what I've seen in multiple characters, these are the trends I've noticed:

Melee to Brawl: worse or completely removed IASAs, slower animations, heavily reduced landing lag to mostly compensate for the loss of L-cancelling and the slower fall speeds and gravities, some specials have more landing lag, and obviously some OP things nerfed whether it's damage, knockback, or dumb hitboxes. Introduction to hitlag modifiers and autolinks (Brawl had a few autolinks right? My mind is blank).

Brawl to Smash 4: once again slower animations and worse IASAs, a lot more landing lag but not nearly as much as Melee, heavily nerfed autocancels (but while many good ones still exist), less active frames (this one is actually VERY common), less damage across the board (obvious), more knockback across the board (duh), better kill power across the board (overshooting the damage reduction vs knockback increase ratio) but is also due to weaker DI and the loss of momentum cancelling, way laggier projectiles, many special moves lost their ability to autocancel upon landing/or special landing lag heavily increased, smaller hitboxes and removed hitboxes (this was mostly happening to good characters like MK), and almost everything that was OP in Brawl was heavily nerfed often to the point where they become some of the worst moves in the game (especially at game release). A lot more autolinks. And because of both autolinks and weak SDI, multihits do way less damage.

I'm asking, i dunno much about frames except that my main's kinda sucks.
Hey, mine does too.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Mario bros generally weren't nerfed much throughout each game. That's why we say Mario and Luigi have the best frame data in this game.

Roy is a huge exception. They took Melee Marth and gave Roy worse start-up, animation speeds, IASAs, mobility (doesn't count as frame data but still) even including roll distances, damage, knockback, landing lag, and autocancels on almost his entire moveset. I honestly don't know how and why Roy existed in that game this way. Honestly, he'd be Melee's worst character by far if he didn't have that Dtilt. So Roy was revamped for Smash 4 and Marth is, in some ways, on the other end of the stick. But even still, you can compare frame data between Melee Roy and Smash 4 Marth and Roy and Melee Roy will come out on top in some cases. That fact that this is true is sad.

Smash 4 Bowser is a weird situation but even he is in many ways "nerfed" from Melee. It's the other stuff like his huge range in Smash 4 that completely un-nerf him.

I mean, in general, you see that Melee's most disappointing characters like Kirby, Bowser, Mewtwo, and Roy have been almost "fixed" in Smash 4 but that was in other ways. You still can't clearly say whose frame data is better between these "bad" Melee characters.

From what I've seen in multiple characters, these are the trends I've found:

Melee to Brawl: worse or completely removed IASAs, slower animations, heavily reduced landing lag to mostly compensate for the loss of L-cancelling and the slower fall speeds and gravities, some specials have more landing lag, and of course some OP things nerfed of course whether it's damage, knockback, or dumb hitboxes. Introduction to hitlag modifiers and autolinks (Brawl had a few autolinks right? My mind is blank).

Brawl to Smash 4: once again slower animations and worse IASAs, a lot more landing lag but not nearly as much as Melee, heavily nerfed autocancels (but while many good ones still exist), less active frames (this one is actually VERY common), less damage across the board (obvious), more knockback across the board (duh), better kill power across the board (overshooting the damage reduction vs knockback increase ratio), way laggier projectiles, many special moves lost their ability to autocancel upon landing/or special landing lag heavily increased, smaller hitboxes and removed hitboxes (this was mostly happening to good characters like MK), and almost everything that was OP in Brawl was heavily nerfed often to the point where they become some of the worst moves in the game (especially at game release). A lot more autolinks. And because of both autolinks and weak SDI, multihits do way less damage.

Hey, mine does too.
If mewtwo is fixed they can keep that. That character is buns.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
If mewtwo is fixed they can keep that. That character is buns.
Well I did say Melee to Smash 4 has a lot of removed hitboxes, smaller hitboxes, and less active frames (S4 M2's biggest issues) so yeah lol. M2 was fixed in other ways. Like a working side B, down B, and Fthrow.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Well I did say Melee to Smash 4 has a lot of removed hitboxes, smaller hitboxes, and less active frames (S4 M2's biggest issues) so yeah lol. M2 was fixed in other ways. Like a working side B and down B.
I stand by my statement those "fixes" are bunkum.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Melee also featured many more kills from weaker, faster moves. This was through either gimping or setups; who cares when fox usmash starts since he just needs to land a frame one shine. Overall, smashes were reworked to be more usable in footsies (theres a sakurai quote floating around about his disdain about competitive players not utilizing smashes often). I might be getting repetitive, but if you are guaranteed a fsmash from a fair, there is almost no reason to use fsmash until after that fair hits; melees frame data was good but keep in mind it was that way for a select few characters.

Anyways, we always talk about people preferring to keep stage control instead of edgeguarding. If you play this way, you want to predict your opponent to get a stronger punish (obviously). Haste creates sloppiness; if they are buffering their ledge options then your threat of trumping has done its job.

If they took my pika bs ledgetrump shenanigans, they should take zsses. Bleh.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
melees frame data was good but keep in mind it was that way for a select few characters.
That's not really true. Yes, some characters had it so good that it made others look bad but when compared to future Smash each character had a lot of moves that in future Smash would have been considered broken. Even "bad" moves in melee (there were many) generally had extremely early IASA.

Djent

Smash Champion

inb4 Sheik
:4myfriends: - Ike is your safest bet that won't render your main irrelevant. But a Ryu/Ike pairing might still struggle with strong ranged opponents (think Mega Man, Villager, or Toon Link).
:4fox: - Fox might be at a slight disadvantage vs. Pika now, but if that MU ends up even I actually think he's a better pick than Ike, because then none of the aforementioned projectile abusers would be a problem. I feel he does pretty well vs. Sonic.
:4mario: - This is all dependent on whether Mario wins the Sonic MU or not. I've seen people call it in both directions and TBH I'm not really sure who's right. He's obviously one of the best choices for dealing with Pika.
:4sheik: - Because Sheik.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Mr R went all MK at a national in Germany. Both singles and doubles.

For the Pikachu thing Esam has recently been struggling against a MK from Clemson(think he's called Sect), always going game 5. Tyrant also took Esam to game 3 at EVO but customs, not sure if MK truly beats Pikachu.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Smash 4 does have an edge over Melee frame data wise, you're no longer locked into ~240 frames of hitstun for being hit by an attack (´◔ ‿ゝ◔`)

although brawl still wins

Really though, it's important to note that in Smash 4 all the defensive options (rolls, spotdodges, airdodges) are faster in terms of movement and frame data, horizontal air speeds are faster on average, running speeds are much faster on average and everyone from Melee (and Brawl) got buffed in that regard, and dash grabs also come out faster.

Smash 4 made midrange game more central than before since in addition to these changes long range camping isn't sustainable for more than a second or two anymore even for the characters who can do it, and attacking shields from up close is usually unsafe (was a bit too unsafe before 1.1.1).

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Smash 4 does have an edge over Melee frame data wise, you're no longer locked into ~240 frames of hitstun for being hit by an attack (´◔ ‿ゝ◔`)

although brawl still wins

Really though, it's important to note that in Smash 4 all the defensive options (rolls, spotdodges, airdodges) are faster in terms of movement and frame data, horizontal air speeds are faster on average, running speeds are much faster on average and everyone from Melee (and Brawl) got buffed in that regard, and dash grabs also come out faster.
The biggest one IMO is the dashgrabs. Holy HELL Dashgrabs in 4 are actually for the most part cast-wide DECENT. Compare this to like, any other Smash game (Melee and past) you'd incur a ton of endlag. JC Grabbing was super big in Melee cause of this, yeah.

Megamang

Smash Lord
That's not really true. Yes, some characters had it so good that it made others look bad but when compared to future Smash each character had a lot of moves that in future Smash would have been considered broken. Even "bad" moves in melee (there were many) generally had extremely early IASA.

I was thinking on the lower half of the cast, especially auto cancels. Though it has been a while, im probably wrong statistically. Maybe its because i just use spacies mostly, but whenever i play melee i find myself saying 'what the hell does that move find usage for' more often.

Reading that, i think its the insane frame data that makes the bad moves so obvious when they dont have those properties.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
People tend to deride Mewtwo's status as a glass cannon due to having somewhat low damage per hit compared to other characters with similar frame data and not having true throw combos, but the truth is that he's not THAT kind of cannon. Not the one that pressures you, gets in and then wrecks face with combos (even though he can do that to an extent).

Instead he's the defensive kind that stops all of your attempts to attack him while doing decent damage and prepping his ultimate weapon (shadow ball). His tail attacks may be weaker at the tip but it's safe damage. Confusion counters other projectiles and dashing to shield (though the latter definitely sees less use in this patch). Dsmash discourages people from just running at him. Bair's range is huge letting it counter many aerials with proper spacing, and uair's coverage is rather wide so it can usually attack in such a way that it leaves Mewtwo safe from retaliation.

He really doesn't need to commit too much to deal his damage. Just calmly deflect or evade assaults that come his way and poke from safety when they're not assaulting. Committing simply allows him to potentially deal damage or kill faster.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
People tend to deride Mewtwo's status as a glass cannon due to having somewhat low damage per hit compared to other characters with similar frame data and not having true throw combos, but the truth is that he's not THAT kind of cannon. Not the one that pressures you, gets in and then wrecks face with combos (even though he can do that to an extent).

Instead he's the defensive kind that stops all of your attempts to attack him while doing decent damage and prepping his ultimate weapon (shadow ball). His tail attacks may be weaker at the tip but it's safe damage. Confusion counters other projectiles and dashing to shield (though the latter definitely sees less use in this patch). Dsmash discourages people from just running at him. Bair's range is huge letting it counter many aerials with proper spacing, and uair's coverage is rather wide so it can usually attack in such a way that it leaves Mewtwo safe from retaliation.

He really doesn't need to commit too much to deal his damage. Just calmly deflect or evade assaults that come his way and poke from safety when they're not. Committing simply allows him to potentially deal damage or kill faster.
I think this is quite relevant to people's perception of Mewtwo. Everyone wants the deadly combo machine, when Mewtwo is more versatile than that at the expense of not being as absolutely reliable in one particular category. I even think this is why not just A AlMoStLeGeNdArY but a ton of others claim Kirby to be a bad matchup. Kirby's a really tough opponent if you try to fight him on his own terms, if you try to get in and CQC. Same with Dedede, Yoshi, and a bunch of others. If you play a footsie-based keep-away game, however, those matchups are at worst a small disadvantage.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

He really doesn't need to commit too much to deal his damage. Just calmly deflect or evade assaults that come his way and poke from safety when they're not assaulting. Committing simply allows him to potentially deal damage or kill faster.
I always hear people say that "Mewtwo is a glass cannon without the firepower" is that what you are addressing? Do you think he needs a damage buff?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I always hear people say that "Mewtwo is a glass cannon without the firepower" is that what you are addressing? Do you think he needs a damage buff?
Well I wouldn't mind a damage buff but the point I was trying to make was that those "low-damage" moves, the ones that make Mewtwo so "unrewarding" actually give him something arguably far more important: safe damage. You can rack up damage without risking leaving yourself open to a close-range punish. The more powerful close hits are just a bonus if you can land them as a punish by rewarding you with combos. And then there's dsmash which also happens to work as both a poke AND a kill move, as it never really leaves him open when used at correct distances.

When you have the strongest projectile at your disposal it's only natural to make some small concessions in close-quarter combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom