• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
"when Peach actually gets results"

How's about SlayerZ beating Ally, Zenyou, Void, Mr ConCon, Vinnie, and K9 in recent SoCal tournaments? Or Umeki having recent wins against Nietono, Nyanko (one of Japan's top Sheiks), taranito (best Ness in Japan), and Yuzu (second best Rosalina in Japan)? Peach has some good players and results.
I think he just outplaced some of those players, iirc Ally lost to Void and Concon at the socal tourney he was in with Slayerz.

Also wins don't mean as much as results... A non-viable character can beat a viable one, since that character isn't the reason the other is non-viable. The only decent results peach has ever gotten is from slayerz. It is something, not quite as much as dk/pacman though.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
When Peach actually gets results (or, indeed, players) then maybe she can be on the same tier as DK or Pacman, but for now, all she is is a bit of theorycrafting and a lot of nothing.
I thought 1st in a 120~ man regional counts as a result.

Edit: Dammit. Forgot to refresh the page. Greninja'd.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
You're talking about max range? That could be possible. But if she's near (not too hard with that speed and overall treatening presence) I doubt you can react to it.
People are really overdoing that lol. Zero said in a video about Link that you should just stay in shield against him and just roll behind him out of reaction to his grab and punish him with a smash or something. I've tried this and it's impossible for me to react to that. You can try to read it, but solely reacting you'd need superhuman reaction time and react to basically any motion Link does before you even know that it's a grab.
Yea people talk about reacting to tether grabs in this game, like 16 frames is easy because it's 267 ms. But the game has like 6 frames of input delay, and your spot-dodge/roll has start up frames, and you have to actually react to what they're doing (you just know ZSS is doing something at first, and this is even more murky because telling the difference between the first few frames of different animations can be difficult). Suddenly your 16 frame start up move requires closer to 7-8 frames (133 ms) reaction time at best, which I'm pretty sure is impossible from visual stimulus. Plus, I'd imagine all these reaction time tests would get way worse results if you were only supposed to click on a green flash, and it would flash yellow or blue to confuse you. Multiply that 10 fold since characters have so many options in smash.

Reacting to ZSS's grab at max range is possible, reading her dash in as a precursor to her dash grab is possible (but not actually reacting to the grab), reacting to her grab next to you isn't possible outside of training mode occasionally.

Last edited:

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
The Reddit tier list seems mostly fine IMO, though then again I couldn't care less about the FE characters. Hype is definitely deflating on the DLC characters and Shulk.

LightLV

Smash Ace
No. The hit lag modifier ****s all over Lucinas existence.

Marth is now ALWAYS safer then Lucina on block and ALWAYS rewarded more for hitting someone.

She is now 100% worthless in a competitive environment.
Considering many moves of theirs had their ending/landing lag buffed, unless there are situations that still exist in the game where Lucina will get certainly punished for a blocked move whereas Marth wouldn't, I don't see the massive advantage here, safe is safe. I mean come on it's not like Marth has blockstrings.

And "more reward on hit" is the entire reason i'm even having this conversation, because the only time Marth is ever rewarded more is when he gets a tipper, and even that is completely arbitrary unless Marth is KILLING with them, since that actually completely and totally offsets his damage deficit. Otherwise Lucina will kill and stage carry before him in pretty much any situation due to slightly better base KB and damage, and this is exacerbated by Rage.

The same combos Marth are now capable of, Lucina is also capable of a variant, that is a fact. Combos are not exclusive to Marth. I'd say the biggest thing Marth really has over Lucina is his Falcon Punch-tier Fsmash tipper and his Uair tipper, seeing as it's probably his most practical tipper hitbox and i don't think Lucina's Uair has ever gotten buffed.

For me this is less about talking up Lucina and more about talking down Marth's key mechanic. It just feels weak in this version of the game. Lucina being an inferior character to him just made it feel stronger to me, but with Roy existing, and Ike getting the sweeping buff treatment, and now Lucina plotting better damage, Marth just feels a litttttttle lacking to me now.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Considering many moves of theirs had their ending/landing lag buffed, unless there are situations that still exist in the game where Lucina will get certainly punished for a blocked move whereas Marth wouldn't, I don't see the massive advantage here, safe is safe. I mean come on it's not like Marth has blockstrings.

And "more reward on hit" is the entire reason i'm even having this conversation, because the only time Marth is ever rewarded more is when he gets a tipper, and even that is completely arbitrary unless Marth is KILLING with them, since that actually completely and totally offsets his damage deficit. Otherwise Lucina will kill and stage carry before him in pretty much any situation due to slightly better base KB and damage, and this is exacerbated by Rage.

The same combos Marth are now capable of, Lucina is also capable of a variant, that is a fact. Combos are not exclusive to Marth. I'd say the biggest thing Marth really has over Lucina is his Falcon Punch-tier Fsmash tipper and his Uair tipper, seeing as it's probably his most practical tipper hitbox and i don't think Lucina's Uair has ever gotten buffed.

For me this is less about talking up Lucina and more about talking down Marth's key mechanic. It just feels weak in this version of the game. Lucina being an inferior character to him just made it feel stronger to me, but with Roy existing, and Ike getting the sweeping buff treatment, and now Lucina plotting better damage, Marth just feels a litttttttle lacking to me now.
Lucina Utilt and FSmash reach are also objectively worse. Utilt doesn't step her forward, and she has less vertical reach on her best kill move (it can't even hit Bowser below a BF platform when he's above her).

She's just worse. SHE feels a little lacking to me because she has nothing that Marth just doesn't do better by virtue of playing better for more reward.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

It annoys me when I post objective fact and your only response is subjective opinion combined with incorrect information.

What the ****

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I was about to make a similar point regarding controller lag. While it's certainly possible to react to a 16 frame action, there are a lot of factors that make it difficult to actually do. Let's say you have a 12 frame reaction time; the human average is 216ms which is substantially closer to 13 frames (216.7ms) but let's just say you have good reactions.

You would have to start reacting on frame 1 of the animation.

If you do manage this, you will go through your 12 frame reaction time and will not input your next action until frame 13.

The frame you input an action is frame 0, or the reading frame. So whatever you action you input on frame 13 will not begin until frame 14.

Unless you have a 1 frame jab your best option to avoid the grab up close is spotdodge (or a 2 frame jab) which has 1 frame of startup. Your dodge started on frame 14 and became invincible on frame 15. So it would take a near-frame perfect reaction to just barely dodge ZSS's grab up close. If you did have the average human reaction time of 13 frames, you would have literally no margin of error when trying to dodge the grab on reaction, as your spotdodge invincibility would not begin until frame 16.

And then there's the issue of controller lag. It's not as bad as 6 frames, the most recent video showing it to be 7 frames was recorded using a 120 FPS camera meaning controller lag would actually be 3 or 4 frames in the 60 FPS game. The guy also used a CRT which can actually create lag for games that are optimized for HD (doesn't actually affect controller lag but makes it look laggier due to TV lag). Controller lag isn't just to blame, there will be a combination of TV lag and controller lag before your button press translates to an onscreen action. In terms of actual controller lag there is probably only 1-3 frames, but that's still enough to mess up the frame perfect reaction required to spotdodge ZSS' point blank grab.

In short, the word "reactable" is tossed around a lot, but moves in the "reactable" range of about 14-18 frames either aren't truly reactable or require a perfect reaction to frame 1 of an animation. Reaction speed IS something that will improve with familiarity if you fight a character a lot because you will get used to their animations, but there are still a lot of variables to consider. Controller lag, the reading frame and dodge startup can make it impossible to avoid moves that people claim are reactable.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

Ok let me rephrase so you can understand.

Marth is better. All this nonsense you are spewing is just that. Nonsense.

Marth has kill moves that Lucina simply does not have. Period. Combos are not exclusive to Marth. But he has more combos at lower percents and higher percents then her due to his mechanics.

Gonna say it again. Marth is better.

Now please cut the ****.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Marth underrated again?

Big surprise.

Such a shame people don't see :4marth: and :4robinm: as more viable. Sure, :4marth: doesn't have grab combos, but he has the infamous Falchion tip hitbox. One. Good. F Smash.

:4robinm: is slow. Criminally slow. But my word, KILL power! His Up-Air, which can be lead into following a D-throw, is like a Smash attack in the air. Not to mention spacing tools, a recovery that spikes, and a command grab.
I feel like people are going to perpetually underrate :4marth: because he'll likely never be back to the same level as his Melee and Brawl incarnations. I kind of went on a rant about this maybe a month ago with him, :4lucina:, and :4metaknight: because it baffled me to how not a lot of people took them seriously despite getting the most buffs of any characters in this game. At least people are finally starting to see that :4myfriends::4metaknight: have plenty of room to grow and :4lucina::4marth: are far from the worst swordsmen in the game.

On this list, I'm not surprised that :4duckhunt: (AKA Ruse Doge) is continuing to fall because I've said since the beginning that he's pretty much this game's :gw:/:rob:, somebody super annoying until people start to figure him out and realize his blatant weaknesses. As others have said, I think :4lucas::4feroy::4ryu: are still riding their release hype because none of them have really done anything super impressive yet. :4ryu:probably has the most potential of the three and it's probably going to take him awhile for him to develop thanks to his high learning curve but he's not the monster many of us theorized he would turn into yet. Because of this reason, having him sandwiched between :4metaknight: and :4wario:, two characters who have grown tremendously since the beginning and have impressive results to back them up, doesn't make a lick of sense.

Last edited:

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Just a friendly reminder that Reddit isn't a total hive mind of idiots. It's more of a 50/50 split really.

On topic: The Reddit tier list does have a vague sense of accuracy to it imo. There are definitely some anomalies; Marth and Lucina should probably be closer to Roy, and Luigi continues to be overrated. That said, everyone is generally where they should be, give or take a tier. Furthermore, I think their placement of Lucas is fairly accurate, but he's being hyped for the wrong reasons (the DLC bias is real). Right now, he just doesn't have enough representation, but he'll get there.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I think we like to underestimate reddit sometimes. These guys just need people to talk and teach a bit. I made a comment specifically about how Sword characters are underated and it got a LOT of upvotes. Yes there are the occational people on reddit who are a bit out there and un teachable but just not everyone even knows that some characters are pulling in results or have relevant players and just need help learning. Keeping u pwith the comments a bit in the results I know I helped change a few minds today and they'll spread that knowledge further.

Reddit players are not totally stupid, they are just in the beginning learning fazes. Let's not insult them, let's help them! That's half of why I started the project in the first place: to generate discussion and let people teach each other.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Warning Received
Smashboards laughing at Reddit is the pot calling the kettle black.

The tier list is fine. Swordfighter's too low.

Edit: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
So I jumped on For Glory and got bodied by a Lucas for multiple games. Under FG lag, Lucas is an absolute monster. This isn't an FG johns post though, more a realization of just how specifically balanced Lucas's frame data is in terms of trading off speed, power, and range/disjoint.

Example 1) Look at his Tether Grab. It's supposed to be one of his greatest weaknesses, because even though it's fast for a tether grab it still isn't great, and it recovers a bit slowly. With lag though? It suddenly becomes incredibly difficult to punish because by the time he's pulled his snake back he's already able to get away. In a non-lag setting, this would mean that his tether is barely punishable and it requires you to be at just the right distance, or to get a read on the tether itself.

Example 2) Lucas has pretty good landing lag on his aerials. It's not Mario-level (10, 12, 12 on key moves) but it's certainly better than average (13, 15, 15, 12). To make up for this, he has a ton of aerial wiggle-room and some serious disjoint on all of his aerials. In lag though, all of a sudden his aerials are Mario-level + all those crazy psychic hexagons means you basically have a Mario with range, and that is super frightening.

Outside of lag, this means that Lucas is meant to just barely be on that edge between reactable and unreactable depending on his attacks, and it's probably what affects people's insanely wide perceptions of him, that he's seen as anywhere from high tier to low tier. When you have a character like Mewtwo, who has these clear and obvious weaknesses, it's not surprising to see him be ranked so low (though I don't entirely agree). Lucas, though, depending on where you fight him, how you fight him, and how your own character's frame data matches up with his, is either that character you can make regret doing anything, or the one that seems untouchable.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
alright so about the reddit tier list. it's ok tbh. I mean it's not the most reliable tier list since you have the dlc characters being really overhyped. Like ryu shouldn't be between metaknight and wario and Roy shouldn't be higher then ike. However I'd rather take this tier list then event hubs. Event hub's tier list are just a special kind of bad. The fact that they still think Rosalina is the best character, metaknight is a low tier character, and donkey kong is still the worst character in the game is just insultingly horrible. I mean has anyone of those people seen leo. better yet have any of those people seen a tournament in the last 10 months.

I'm sorry but if I keep talking about eventscrubs tier list I might suffer an aneurysm out of sheer stupidity.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
People on Reddit and here used to spout off ALL THE TIME that every single character could be used in tournaments and place well and that Smash 4 was balance nirvana. We've thankfully moved on from that silliness.
I'm gonna be honest here. While I agree that it is highly unlikely that every single character could win a national, in terms of regionals and locals I think everyone is viable. Overwhelmingly bad matchups are really uncommon in this game (30:70's like the worst anyone can have and is pretty rare for Sm4sh) and each character has their traits that give them solid niches in the metagame (and in the case of Lucina, who doesn't really have a niche over Marth, the character itself is just really solid for the most part). Dedede, for example, has taken a couple regionals despite having a really terrible matchup spread. Trela has taken locals with two characters in D rank on the Reddit tier list and, while I know little about Samus, Zelda's matchup spread isn't terrible enough to prevent her from taking a regional or at the very least a local when she's got some nice assets like Farore's Wind in general (k.o. move, OoS punish, movement tool w/ ledge canceling, recovery), a finally decent projectile/bodyguard in Phantom Slash with the buff, Naryu's Love in general, potential kill moves and a great punish game. Not saying that it isn't a struggle for any of those characters, but I don't think that it's too much of a stretch to say that everyone is viable. Call me naive if you want, but that's my belief.

I'd also like to chime in to say that I think the thread has been overreacting about the Reddit tier list. People are acting like all of Reddit is filled with idiots and that the list is terrible because a few placements are off. The comments about Roy/Lucas and the blue-haired FE reps are fair, but complaining that the list is bad Pikachu isn't one or two spots lower for example seems uncalled for. It's not like all of r/smashbros came together and said Luigi should be #5/54 and Roy should be #17. When you're picking categories of S, A-, C+, etc. the little placements aren't going to come out exactly as they should/you want them to in the end. For instance, I voted ZSS, Rosalina, Pikachu and Diddy as S- even though I think ZSS and maybe Rosalina might have a slight edge over Pikachu. Pikachu came out as #2, so oh well.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you can't think that the list isn't good. That would be a ridiculous expectation. I just think that there have been some overreactions here.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Lucina seems bizarrely designed to attack vertically a bit more often than Marth. Her Up Smash is almost inarguably better, and her Up tilt is probably the strongest of her tilts in terms of how they compare to Marth's tippered hits.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I really dislike arguments/petty comments that centre around ambiguous groups of people that are in the same community as we are, they never add anything, they never help anyone, it's bad. "reddit sucks", "smashboards sucks", great, you suck more.
Throwing out that verbal warning like last time, you're all mostly amazing, keep it up~

Talking about block strings doe
Marth's down tilt on ledge get up screams block string. Any use of an out of shield option will push you off stage to the ledge (with little air time meaning little invincibility), it's likely to come in on those shield lock frames as well (adding up to 7 frames). Combination of the two equates to double down tilt being virtually unassailable with still enough advantage from the second to control the situation; you will be able to shield poke with just about any move at that point though and you easily cover the forward roll.

Ironically, only way I see characters punishing this sequence is if they have a beastly forward air... so just Marth/Lucina/Sheik; and due to Marth crouching with down tilt I'd probably limit it to just the two falchions who reach low enough.
Why ironic? because I'm so used to investigating things, comparing top character options and coming back to "oh,... only Marth himself can do anything about it... RIP" [in Brawl; dancing blade/fair/frame 1 invincible dolphin slash were just that good as punishment options]

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think we like to underestimate reddit sometimes. These guys just need people to talk and teach a bit.

Reddit players are not totally stupid, they are just in the beginning learning fazes. .
At the very least, Reddit is significantly more informed than Event Hub and the discussions about tiers won't inherently launch your sides into orbit like those on Youtube and Cheezburger/Knowyourmeme. Like a lot of unofficial tier lists, most people are in agreement about the top/high tiers but the mid and low tiers are opinionated nightmares and it's pretty obvious that it cycles through flavors of the month. Either way, I usually only have a few strong disagreements each month so I think it's typically well thought for something that isn't official.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I personally think there are few specific scenarios where Lucina is better than Marth, like dealing with fast/small characters that want to commit, get uncomfortably close or trade hits, but yeah, the overall balance favors the Hero King.
I personally think that Marth's safety on his aerials might actually play better for Lucina, who can condition opponents into shielding her aerials and mixing up Shield Breaker a bit more than Marth.
Somethingsomething tippers.
:196:

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
You know when comes right down to it no community is perfect. Every community has it's up's and down's and every community has it's rotten apples. Smash boards is no different in that regard. However we as a community shouldn't insult reddit players. We should instead help the fellow reddit players have a better understanding of the meta. Even if some of them our idoits. Which is why I'm all for @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill plan.

As I said before it's ok. Not reliable but it's way more accurate compared to eventhubs

Anyways here's a question for all of you guy's who are in this thread as of right now. Now I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times but I want to ask this regardless. What is the most crucial key factor for a character to become viable? Is it Tournaments results? Matchup spreads? Representation? or Potential?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You know when comes right down to it no community is perfect. Every community has it's up's and down's and every community has it's rotten apples. Smash boards is no different in that regard. However we as a community shouldn't insult reddit players. We should instead help the fellow reddit players have a better understanding of the meta. Even if some of them our idoits. Which is why I'm all for @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill plan.

As I said before it's ok. Not reliable but it's way more accurate compared to eventhubs

Anyways here's a question for all of you guy's who are in this thread as of right now. Now I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times but I want to ask this regardless. What is the most crucial key factor for a character to become viable? Is it Tournaments results? Matchup spreads? Representation? or Potential?
All those factors play into a character's viability.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
All those factors play into a character's viability.
I know that their all factors. But I'm asking which is the most important if you had to choose.

edit: the reason why I ask this is because alot of people seem to put one of these in a higher value compared to the others. Some people value results more. while others value potential more.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I personally think there are few specific scenarios where Lucina is better than Marth, like dealing with fast/small characters that want to commit, get uncomfortably close or trade hits, but yeah, the overall balance favors the Hero King.
I personally think that Marth's safety on his aerials might actually play better for Lucina, who can condition opponents into shielding her aerials and mixing up Shield Breaker a bit more than Marth.
I don't think it works out that conveniently in practice. Those fast/small character are difficult for Lucina to deal with as well, and the only advantage I can think that she offers in those specific scenarios is the threat of forward smash/upsmash. But even then... they're not reliable.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second statement, but if you're implying that Lucina's inferior safety on aerials is good thing because of Shieldbreaker then I emphatically disagree with you.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
To me, MU spreads are what I value most in a high-tier character. It's why I don't think R.O.B. can realistically be top 15 in the current meta as his matchups against the top/high-tiers just aren't in his favor at all, save for a few that he goes even with. Tournament results/representation are fine too, but if you're basing your entire opinion on what characters are good mostly off of tourney results/rep, you might as well be making a popularity tier list rather than a viability tier list. And of course, there are a lot of characters that have loads of potential, but just don't have any mains going out and taking names (:4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:in a nutshell), so nobody actually thinks they're worth a damn because "muh results."

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I feel like people are going to perpetually underrate :4marth: because he'll likely never be back to the same level as his Melee and Brawl incarnations. I kind of went on a rant about this maybe a month ago with him, :4lucina:, and :4metaknight: because it baffled me to how not a lot of people took them seriously despite getting the most buffs of any characters in this game. At least people are finally starting to see that :4myfriends::4metaknight: have plenty of room to grow and :4lucina::4marth: are far from the worst swordsmen in the game.

On this list, I'm not surprised that :4duckhunt: (AKA Ruse Doge) is continuing to fall because I've said since the beginning that he's pretty much this game's :gw:/:rob:, somebody super annoying until people start to figure him out and realize his blatant weaknesses. As others have said, I think :4lucas::4feroy::4ryu: are still riding their release hype because none of them have really done anything super impressive yet. :4ryu:probably has the most potential of the three and it's probably going to take him awhile for him to develop thanks to his high learning curve but he's not the monster many of us theorized he would turn into yet. Because of this reason, having him sandwiched between :4metaknight: and :4wario:, two characters who have grown tremendously since the beginning and have impressive results to back them up, doesn't make a lick of sense.
Your comments on the DLC characters are almost literally the same exact things you chastised people for saying about Marth and Lucina. You can't have them one way. The DLC guys haven't been out for even 1/5 of the time the other characters have. Obviously they don't have results yet.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I know that their all factors. But I'm asking which is the most important if you had to choose.
Ah, I missed that.
High character viability is ultimately manifested through tournament results across all regions, which is based largely on the character's potential and, I should add, the character's current perceived potential. Then, due to the other factors, some characters are actually reasonably viable but it is not shown on a grand scale.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
viability is reflected through tournaments.
match up "theory" tends to need to be reflected in results. What happens in a character board, even if there's mutual agreement, may be falling short on both natural/human elements (stress/etc) and the adaptions that can take place at top level that mitigate some often seen "crucial" points.

At some point during Brawl, the middle ground that people tended to like was tournament results scaling the importance of a match up (so Falcon not having as many tournament wins as Sheik doesn't change his high usage at many levels that increase his relevancy).

I think a nice "case study" would be ZSS vs Sonic.
ZSS has unequivocally wrecked Sonic in tournaments they meet up. The theory that's shown results is that we dominate him in the air and aren't outpaced by his mobility, while having solid/harsh punish options for what's currently a spin dash centric meta. That at least, was the ZSS perspective (by me at least) for a while, yet there was never any consensus from either side (I'm sure sonics would've probably thrown out "evens" or we win because X perhaps just as much as we did).
Fair enough that a few theorists have said "what if sonic players weren't that stupid to give ZSS wins just by pressing side-b?". Seems like an alright idea too. At top level that hasn't happened yet, this could be just "theory" that hasn't amassed momentum, either by player factor or it's not actually a real solution at top level.

I thought very early that ZSS beat Rosa and talked to dabuz about it months and months before Nairo started to pose as a threat. "likely Rosa's favour", my notion that her height, lightweight and zair/bair negating a lot of luma and rosa's buttons wasn't enough yet, it was theory. Not many people on the ZSS boards agreed/thought Rosa was in our favour either. But then nairo zair zoned Dabuz into nair flip jump a few times and bair/side-b'd luma out of existence frequently enough for people to see the current truth.

A lot of people say Marth beats Rosalina at this point, and while I do so too I tend to always leave the caveat of "at most levels of play", because no one has any idea how potent Marth is in that match up at top level, we have like one set between Ally vs Rayquaza to look at. Meh.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Also, it's always "muh dlc hype" with you guys. The placements on that list are mostly fine, I'm not really sure why people are crying about it. If we can't even agree with the top 10, what makes you think anyone is going to agree on the middle characters. No one will ever be convinced by it so it's best to just drop it, the tier list doesn't even mean much at all outside the first 10 or 15 spots except for maybe the bottom few anyways.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I don't think it works out that conveniently in practice. Those fast/small character are difficult for Lucina to deal with as well, and the only advantage I can think that she offers in those specific scenarios is the threat of forward smash/upsmash. But even then... they're not reliable.
They both struggle hard against safe rushdown characters. Lucina gets more benefit at some scenarios where opponents must commit and she just has to stop or trade with them without worrying about her spacing while Marth would.
That pretty much only includes Jigglypuff and a not particularly spacey Sonic, but that's my point.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second statement, but if you're implying that Lucina's inferior safety on aerials is good thing because of Shieldbreaker then I emphatically disagree with you.
Marth's aerials are so safe that most characters would not even want to shield them if just avoid them and try to punish a whiff is more effective.
Lucina's are more prone to get shielded because they are more unsafe, giving her more opportunities to SB.
Not even remotely reliable, but a very occasional mixup (read: people might not even fall for it) Lucina has over Marth, IMO.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
They both struggle hard against safe rushdown characters. Lucina gets more benefit at some scenarios where opponents must commit and she just has to stop or trade with them without worrying about her spacing while Marth would.
That pretty much only includes Jigglypuff and a not particularly spacey Sonic, but that's my point.

Marth's aerials are so safe that most characters would not even want to shield them if just avoid them and try to punish a whiff is more effective.
Lucina's are more prone to get shielded because they are more unsafe, giving her more opportunities to SB.
Not even remotely reliable, but a very occasional mixup (read: people might not even fall for it) Lucina has over Marth, IMO.

Shieldbreaker has a minimum startup of 19 frames. It's way too slow for a situation like that. It's pretty much reactable. It's only really good as a ledge cover and occasionally after a jab 1 at low to mid percents to catch people off guard (since when you are in the air and can't double jump out, your only option is to hit Lucina or try to spot or roll the SB, making it more likely that they will panic shield expecting fsmash)

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Okay MAYBE a dozen matches in the entire world in an entire year will Lucina being barely worse against shields be able to break a shield because... of that fact... Wut. Even if this happens for that exact reason it's not enough for the whole thing to "actually play better for Lucina."

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Marth's aerials are so safe that most characters would not even want to shield them if just avoid them and try to punish a whiff is more effective. Lucina's are more prone to get shielded because they are more unsafe, giving her more opportunities to SB.

The thing is, you can't always avoid aerials, so there will be cases in which blocking is the best option against Marth (and Marth is objectively better than Lucina in this regard). But ideally, if an option is effective against Lucina, it's also inherently effective against Marth. In other words, whether i'm playing against Marth or Lucina, my counterplay shouldn't be all that different between the both characters. That's why I don't really believe in the idea that Lucina is more prone to getting shielded; if anything, she should space her attacks in a way that makes her relatively safe (but still objectively less safe than Marth), otherwise she's just asking to get blown up. Honestly, even "occasional" is pushing it for the mixup you mentioned due to its long start up. Shieldbreaker is situational-yet-viable, but your Lucina scenario is just too convenient for my liking.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Maybe every player I've seen doesn't know the matchup, they all seem to easily get conditioned to "you jump? I just shield" against hop-happy Lucinas and then get SB'd like once or twice per set.
Then they ultimately win by abusing her other weaknesses like attacking/juggling/edgeguarding her.

But still, I simply wonder if Lucina's ideal is really to space every move when she isn't really safe at virtually any point. She *could* just throw (not necessarily spaced) consecutive moves to points where she force some kind of defensive reaction (dodge/shield/roll/spotdodge) and mixing in a occasional SB because their Shield *is* safe against her.
Just wondering.

ALSO, don't confuse. I'm not calling this mixup "good". Just "very possible".

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
One day we'll reach a utopia where people stop thinking Marth only exists to tip people as if it were Melee and was trash/Roy tier if you didn't.

I would say the rarity of a situation where someone logically thinks "going in with shield" against Lucina but would not for Marth would approach lottery level.
To me it's a bit of straw grasping. Merits to Lucina are: Forward Smash and not having to think about the variance in use of sweet spot or sour spots for alternative gains/results.
She's training wheels and not much else, we all know how much of a newb-magnet Marth's forward smash has been over prior games, and otherwise you're maybe (pragmatically I doubt it) dealing more damage over several hits.

If Marth's sour spots were useless like in Melee then you'd probably not want to use Marth at all in this game.

Also a point on S4 Roy...
He really doesn't have any form of weaving, although his initial walk speed is actually quite potent.
Boom, like a rocket, but I struggle hard to see this really giving him an edge in overall capabilities to him. Our aerials are all safer and more expansive in utility/usages, I'd love to hear otherwise but I can't fathom Roy being that much better on the ground to Marth in attacks at all either. Anecdotally I'm finding Marth's down tilt a significantly more reliable poke than Roy's, better anti air options from his faster/larger tilts, and aerial out of shield options to boot.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Approaching with sh airdodge to aerial is super useful for Marth and Samus, only player I've seen utilize it is False with his Marth. It really helps time your up air into forward smash and other followups with Marth and Samus.

Last edited:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I think he just outplaced some of those players, iirc Ally lost to Void and Concon at the socal tourney he was in with Slayerz.
No, he actually beat all of them. Ally lost to Slayerz and Concon.

Also wins don't mean as much as results... A non-viable character can beat a viable one, since that character isn't the reason the other is non-viable. The only decent results peach has ever gotten is from slayerz. It is something, not quite as much as dk/pacman though.
You overrate Pacman's results (I dont know much about DK) and underrate Peach's. He literally mentioned Umeki, but other than those there are Peaches such as Crow, llod and EOE (and probably more) who have also enjoyed success using solo Peach. Meanwhile Abadango gets first using Pacman in GF, but aside from Pacman he also used Rosalina and Meta Knight a lot. In a Japanese interview, he said that he was unsure whether his Pacman could beat Umeki's Peach, which is why he used his Meta Knight. He probably felt the same va taranito's Ness, against whom he used Rosalina. Abadango's results dont necessarily proof Pacman's viability as a solo main. He did show that Pacman may be a good choice vs Sheik and some other characters though.

Anyway, by your logic we might as well kick Pikachu and Villager down. Even though they have a few other players getting results with them, ESAM and Ranai are by far superior and the only ones getting really big results. Although some do feel these characters are overrated because of said players, imo the fact that a player can get such high results using a particular character is already proof enough of that character's potential. Having one player getting high results is much more representative of a character 's potential since they show how truly powerful a character can be when played at a high level, than having a lot of players getting average results. Getting high results is very difficult and definitely not something that can be done with every character. Expecting high results of many players for a character that isnt popular seem very exigent to me.

(also I dont see why you're picking on Peach when you have characters like Roy in the same tier)

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Safety is probably the most defining aspect of a character in Smash 4. Marth is always safer than Lucina, per his mechanics. In a game where safety is paramount, Marth is always going to be better. QED.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Approaching with sh airdodge to aerial is super useful for Marth and Samus, only player I've seen utilize it is False with his Marth. It really helps time your up air into forward smash and other followups with Marth and Samus.
It's something I want to add to my game with mewtwo. Also it's pretty decent witb Rosalina since you should be able to getuma landing aerials perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom