• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VC, N64, or Emulator?

Pokemonultimate

Smash Rookie
When it comes to smash 64, there are 3 ways to go about it:

VC: Lets you use GC or Classic Controllers, cheap, and can't be damaged

N64: uses N64 controller and authentic cartrige, nostalgic, but damageable

Emulator: Uses any USB controller, free, has Internet, laggy at times, and illegal, Can't be damaged

Which do you use? and which do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer the VC.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
N64 cartridge damageable?

only if you bring a hammer to it, mine and every copy i've ever owned/borrowed is stalwart as hell

they all work, i'd use N64 if possible (with hori or modded 64 controller) since that way i have even more keyboard johns for losing

M!nt

Smash Champion
Their all damageable really, I don't see why that's a factor.
I play online only, so I guess emulator.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
id say n64 any day for 1v1

emulators are beginning to win out though:
no 4p lag
multiple use of controllers so no johns (keyboards should still be banned)
VC sucks

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
VC sucks, it haves a ****ty frameskip. Emulator is better because you can use texture pack, multiple controlelrs, no 4p lags and a easy way to use GS.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
VC sucks, it has ****ty frameskipping. Emulator is better because you can use texture packs, multiple controllers, no 4p lag and a easy way to use GS.
i agree with everything felipe said

console is nice, but in comparison is way more restrictive in terms of who and how you play

#1 PC emulator
#2 n64 console
#3 LOL WII VC (system is only good for melee textures/music imo ROLF.)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Emulator unless you live inside of an area where smash 64 is played commonly......
as in Emulator 90% of the time

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
virtual console has lame-o frameskips

ntsc n64 all day everyday

though i don't even own one lol

R h y m e

Smash Apprentice
I would have to go with N64. After playing it so long, playing it on VC with the Gamecube controller feels unnatural.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think N64 is great and all but emulator is probably the best since you can go online.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I play on VC for the convenience.
I take my Wii to Brawl tournaments I attend and have found that the Brawl and Melee players are always more willing to play SSB if they can use their GCN controllers. I'm having positive results in getting Brawl\Melee players interested in SSB at their events now.

PC emulator is probably the best if only because it allows for quality online play.

Spyro

Smash Ace
VC is really terrible, a lot of frame-skip/ lag, always go with an N64 over a VC

N64 is good, I don't mind the controller, the 4P lag is a little annoying but it's bearable, you should go with it if you have people in your area who are interested in SSB64.

I have not played online but I believe there's no lag and switchable controllers, the only problem I would have with it is that there would be no social interaction, you should play online if you have people in your are interested in smash 64 or not, I however can't cause I don't have my own computer :(.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I used to play Super Smash Bros. exclusively on N64 hardware but since my really nice 32 inch CRT TV died, I've started playing on the Virtual Console most of the time. At first, I preferred the GameCube controller but I forced myself to start using the Classic Controller Pro in anticipation of SSB4 on the Wii U. The CCP now feels just as natural to me as the magnificent GC controller.

On very rare occasions I play Smash 64 on my PC via emulation and in those instances I use the Xbox 360 controller. Only problem is that I have Project 64 on an older Windows XP machine so I can't run SSB full screen. Been thinking of building a retro gaming specific PC and boxing up all my N64 cartridges to keep them minty.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i can help you pick out parts for that, i like that kind of stuff

pm me on here or skype namesearch: knitephox if you're serious

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Troll detected. Anyone who uses VC is a noob brawlfag. Also, technically the VC is an emulator. The VC game surely can be damaged, say if your Wii gets bricked.

Emulator is good, but only for online play or when you lack an N64 or TV. If I have both an N64 and my laptop, I will never use the emulator. If your hard drive gets bricked, your info is gone.

N64 is best. I've never had a single N64 game break, and I've had the N64 since it came out. And yes, my house used to be a warzone, with my cats constantly battling everything else. Hell, I've had cartridges survive catsprays before.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
I prefer N64
but for teams I like emu because no lag....unless you have a overclocked 64, then teams wouldn't be a issue on console.

Oh and VC is just gross

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
i can help you pick out parts for that, i like that kind of stuff

pm me on here or skype namesearch: knitephox if you're serious
Thanks for the offer! I'm sure I'll hit you up when I'm ready.

Oh, and the N64 cartridge version of Super Smash Bros. isn't completely indestructible, EggSelent. Remember that it's one of the cartridges that has a battery which can go dead and wipe all your data.

What makes emulation nice be it VC or PC is the ability to use controllers other than the N64 pad. You might not think so but SSB feels very natural when played with the brilliant Xbox 360 controller.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Virtual Console is bad since there is input lag. I don't mind emulation. I preferred it up until I found the offline scene.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I prefer N64
but for teams I like emu because no lag....unless you have a overclocked 64, then teams wouldn't be a issue on console.

Oh and VC is just gross
where have you been, do you still play online?

Top Bottom