• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VC, N64, or Emulator?

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the offer! I'm sure I'll hit you up when I'm ready.

Oh, and the N64 cartridge version of Super Smash Bros. isn't completely indestructible, EggSelent. Remember that it's one of the cartridges that has a battery which can go dead and wipe all your data.

What makes emulation nice be it VC or PC is the ability to use controllers other than the N64 pad. You might not think so but SSB feels very natural when played with the brilliant Xbox 360 controller.
Of course, the cartridges aren't indestructible. I just find that on average, they're more reliable than a hard disk.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. is excellent if you're itching to play it again but don't want to spend 40 to 50 dollars for the actual cartridge. It even plays brilliantly with the Classic Controller Pro if you don't have a backwards compatible Wii.

The fact that the N64 looks horrible on most HDTV's is, in my humble opinion, pushing people to find other ways to enjoy Super Smash Bros. which makes VC and PC emulation more attractive.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Is 40 milliseconds of input lag considered appreciable? How many frames does that equal out to?

My 40 inch Sharp Aquos which I purchased around 2010 is really amazing in Game Mode when compared to other HD sets. This informative video that discusses input lag in great detail inspired me to buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TETrO0GypU

BTW, I mostly play Super Smash Bros. on my Wii nowadays and I have it connected to my Aquos with component cables to get the best possible picture.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
where have you been, do you still play online?
Umm....uhhh....I switched over to another game...(Don't hate me pls :c)

I haven't played online in forever more so the game. Though I will like to get back into it once I get another controller, and if my internet allows me.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Come on now. We all know Grizzmeister is, first and foremost, a collector. I doubt he's into competitive smash to care about that much. He's like the target audience for Brawl.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Come on now. We all know Grizzmeister is, first and foremost, a collector. I doubt he's into competitive smash to care about that much. He's like the target audience for Brawl.
I'm neither a hardcore collector nor competitive SSB player, I just like to have fun. That said, I did download Project M 3.0 and that's what I play most on my Wii nowadays.

I popped in to this thread to mention that now that standard definition (SD) televisions are no longer manufactured people will continue to gravitate towards emulation to get their SSB64 fix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom