• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
SO GUYS, some of my friends and I are thinking about starting a Mario Party league for the lols. We'd meet up weekly at my place (what day of the week it'll be we arent sure yet) and have basically a schedule of who to play and stuff, and the top players at the end will play in the finals, with the winner getting some type of prize (thinking about a $5-$10 entry for the league, and winner takes all at the end). If anyone is interested, let me know (and if you live far, I live literally a 3-4 min walk from a trax station, so thats an option).
Easy money for Final?

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Why is pizza so goddamn broken? Except for Mimi's Pizza, that place sucks **** at making pizza. They're broken at getting underage girls to hit on you though.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
I am so there on Saturday. Does this place already have equipment, or should I bring a couple setups? I've got extension cables, power strips, CRTs, 2 cubes and a P:M/Brawl Wii. (I used to work in a video game shop, so I just snagged whatever I wanted lol).
bring your setups dawg. there's usually .5 melee setups at this thing, meaning if I nag enough people, we get a melee setup
mario party sounds fun but I get reaaal ****ing competitive
I drink ~once a month but super smashed bros / mario drunky sounds pretty ****in legit

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Lawl I have entirely given up on Melee. Like I don't even try to play anymore. But if meleers wanna bring a setup for it that's cool by me.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
We had a pretty fun melee smash fest last night at Jelly's, but it was only for a couple hours so it didn't get posted here. Tuesday showed up, fun games. You should pick up brawl too though, might as well since that's the game most people play here.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
can anybody hook RJ up with a ride
so people call TJs "Teej" and DJs "deej"
does that mean I can call RJ "arj"

seriously though are any melee players going to tane's tonight or would it just be me because I'll probly john out if nobody else goes that is into melee
altho if there's a MAHVEL setup i'm hella down. or even sf4

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
if you want you can go and **** on Tane in melee for a little if you want
but what good will that do lol

btw i got ma phone back

edit:
anyone here ever seen or owned one of these? new goal is to get my hands on this
7- Platinum 'Starlight' Gold Controller
(JP) Released ?
This is a little more rare than the ones above as it was not released in North America
IGN Article on Starlight Gold Gamecube

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I would go to Tanes but I'm broke.

If anyone's been trying to text me sorry my phone is shut off right now.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
also story time:
at the stop light just outside tane's house, a car full of 4-5 hot girls pulled up besides me with their windows down. we talked a bit and they said they were gunna stalk me and asked me where I was going. I told them 6th east and 1st av, and then the driver said she also had a nishiki bike frame. They asked me "why" after I said where I was going, and I said "it's better than walking". I just realized they were asking why I was going there because they were trying to find the party
I ****ed up guys I woulda literally jumped in their car and went whereever they went
what an unfortunate miscommunication

oh well

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
also story time:
at the stop light just outside tane's house, a car full of 4-5 hot girls pulled up besides me with their windows down. we talked a bit and they said they were gunna stalk me and asked me where I was going. I told them 6th east and 1st av, and then the driver said she also had a nishiki bike frame. They asked me "why" after I said where I was going, and I said "it's better than walking". I just realized they were asking why I was going there because they were trying to find the party
I ****ed up guys I woulda literally jumped in their car and went whereever they went
what an unfortunate miscommunication

oh well
:'(

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
This is super super late, but...

I'm about as good at P4U as I am at Melee, relatively. I blow up anyone who's not above average, and I lose convincingly to high/top players.
Brawl is too hard for me to understand so I'm definitely better at P4U/Melee than I am at Brawl.
wait how is a game that does not have a high learning curve at all hard to understand compared to the others?

DarkPancake

Smash Cadet
Hey smashers, when are the events going on? i just joined smash boards and I want to find at least a few good players in my area. I'm getting tired of crushing my friends who have 0 tech skill.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
well that depends do play melee or brawl more?
and if you live in orem than you are in a great place for smash since a lot of smashers are in the provo/orem area

DarkPancake

Smash Cadet
Yeah I live in Orem. I would LIKE to play Melee a lot more than Brawl. But I know that melee smashers are kind of a dying breed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
wait how is a game that does not have a high learning curve at all hard to understand compared to the others?
The others are consistent in that safe/quick moves are always good and can lead to the KO, mostly due to combo system allowing followup into more powerful moves or simply that most fighters have a life bar. Brawl's safe/quick moves lose value at higher percents and KOing at a reasonable percent (unless you're Ness or something) involves using slower, riskier options. Can you tell me any other game where the more advantage I have, the fewer options at solidifying that advantage I get?

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
Yeah I live in Orem. I would LIKE to play Melee a lot more than Brawl. But I know that melee smashers are kind of a dying breed.
my ninja. TOMORROW around 12-1pm at KAFEIEIEIAIENO or whatever it's called. I just posted a link to their facebook page, I'll dig it up and edit this post in a minute.

Guys I haven't blogged in quite awhile and I think this is highly relevant to anybody that reads it. If you have a spare 10-15 minutes and are interested in some ancient wisdom than give it a go
http://herbivorestyle.tumblr.com/po...wake-and-conscious-right-now-are-you-aware-of

here's the link to kafei-whatever:
https://www.facebook.com/Kafeneiocoffeehouse

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
I will be there and I'm sure that PC will be there, we're the best 2 players in the region at melee (I think Yaz is just as good as us but he is rather inactive)
bring a SETUP if you have one!!!!!!

also can we pleaplseplepsalpelasplepPLEASE do a round robin melee tournament tomorrow, I'm willing to draw up the ****ty bracket if nobody is gunna TO

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
The others are consistent in that safe/quick moves are always good and can lead to the KO, mostly due to combo system allowing followup into more powerful moves or simply that most fighters have a life bar. Brawl's safe/quick moves lose value at higher percents and KOing at a reasonable percent (unless you're Ness or something) involves using slower, riskier options. Can you tell me any other game where the more advantage I have, the fewer options at solidifying that advantage I get?
well we just think differently than because those safe/quick moves don't lose value in that they still rack up damage and why
go for a risky KO move when you can just camp and poke, going for the timeout?
imo one of the easiest things to do is not approach and force them,
technical prowess aside brawl is much easier to me
basically play to the games strengths

you can run the bracket
im only doing brawl

and im pretty sure PC is going to be busy tomorrow

super edit
in case any of you haven't seen this floating around this would be awesome
http://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-develop-a-gamecube-controller-style-wii-u-controller

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
well there's been a bunch of new melee players posting so I hope to see all of you tomorrow. if PC isn't going then I will draw up a round robin bracket for us if we can get 6 entrants or more. Since I gotta put on my big boy pants and be the organizer/whatever I'll be there no later than NOON THIRTY and I will leave by 2-3 if no melee players show up. I do not have a setup and even if I did I don't have a car to bring it in. The venue is right by a trax station so it's mega pedestrian/cyclist friendly.
my number is 217-370-6174 call me if anybody has questions regarding melee
also i'm down to play tonight if anybody wants to bring a setup to my apartment, i live on 1st ave and ~600east near downtown

there's no venue fee and i'll do 5 dollar entry fee if we have enough interest to do a melee tournament.
We'll do 1st: 60% 2nd: 30% and 3rd: 10% or entry fee back, whatever is a higher amount. if entry fee is the higher amount then that extra money will come out of 1st place. if 30% for second is also less than 5 bucks than both 2nd and 3rd will get their entry fee reimbersed

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Bring your setups people because I'm not bringing mine. Just warning you because it seems that fairly often the majority/only setups at a tourney are mine.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'm from Orem DarkPancake :)

If you ever want to play, just send me a PM. EDIT: Start a conversation with me, it is no longer called "Private Messaging," it's called "Starting a Conversation."

Also, I've been having a weekly commitment on Saturdays for a while, which is why I haven't been coming to Kafeino's recently. And, well...I'm still stuck in it. I have to ask for it off, and unfortunately I got last Saturday off instead. So I won't be able to make it tomorrow.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
well we just think differently than because those safe/quick moves don't lose value in that they still rack up damage and why
go for a risky KO move when you can just camp and poke, going for the timeout?
imo one of the easiest things to do is not approach and force them,
technical prowess aside brawl is much easier to me
basically play to the games strengths
This only makes sense if timeout is the main victory condition, in which case how many fighters does THAT apply to?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Mew2King.
This only makes sense if timeout is the main victory condition, in which case how many fighters does THAT apply to?
Mew2King. Also, DS4 because he mains TL. The objective IS to time people out with TL, lol xD

Also, Warios time people out, Samus, and good MKs can and often do. I'm probably still missing a few characters who can have a legitimate strategy of timing out.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
im just gonna say no
there is no victory condition
or i should say that it is whatever means necessary
without breaking rules
almost all fighters have timers i can't think of one that doesn't

this is getting a little dumb
you answered my question just fine
don't know why you asked your's
already stating you don't know a lot about brawl

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Toon Link can viably define the timer as the main victory condition, but Falco's survivability and lack of versatility in his space control makes attempting to run the clock from the beginning quite a bit less threatening.

Samus... maybe? Wario and MK seem to have it as a POSSIBLE victory, but not the one they aim for from the start.

already stating you don't know a lot about brawl
Well, okay. Clearly it's a lot harder for me to understand, then.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
we'll just have to agree to disagree

i can't understand why you think brawl is hard
you can't understand why its easy

its K :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hey, I can beat a bunch of people and have a chance at making brackets in Melee. I can't remember the last time I've had a hope of making it out of my first pool in Brawl. If it's got an easy learning curve, then there's something up top that's not actually obvious. At least, not as obvious as grab down throw forward air.

Top Bottom