• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

DarkPancake

Smash Cadet
Brawl is easier because to be really good, there are fewer buttons pressed per second. One can figure out Brawl's spacing and character matchups fairly quickly, but learning Melee takes years. Right?.... I think...

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
sorry
what is this i don't even

Dark that was too arbitrary

Hey, I can beat a bunch of people and have a chance at making brackets in Melee. I can't remember the last time I've had a hope of making it out of my first pool in Brawl. If it's got an easy learning curve, then there's something up top that's not actually obvious. At least, not as obvious as grab down throw forward air.
hey if i can beat people by just shield grabbing and occasional spot dodge
without sophisticated inputs
i don't know how that is not easy, this would almost never work in melee

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I think brawl is easier to get decent at due to the decreased intensity of tech skill needed to compete. But there is still definitely a different complexity to the game that takes time and effort to understand to be able to compete at high levels. Hence why it's so hard for people to get over the plateaus to reach top level play.

Also, Devon your examples are poor reasoning for why brawl is easy to get good at. Look at how much time you've put into the game. You've reached a high level of competitive play- the fact that you can beat less skilled players without much effort has no validity in an argument of how easy brawl is. It almost says the opposite of what you're trying to say because those players can't get good enough to beat your simple not-try-hard strategies.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I won't be showing up on saturday because of a project that I need to work on... sorry for letting down the melee players :(. However, I will be coming over on Sunday for the tourney. Hopefully we can get some melee there. Cause if we do I might actually win a set this time.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
k this is my last take on this

kenny
of course my last post was like that look at what tony posted
i was putting an example maybe you should read what i posted earlier

were basically arguing semantics and opinions at this point
games like melee and p4a with a their tech barrier make them auto harder to get good at than brawl cause brawl has the lowest tech barrier i have ever experienced. it even helps you with the Buffer System!!!
but like i said tech skill aside i still stand by what i said
and putting hitstun for combo aside as well

for instance whats harder to be effectively aggro and approach safely or
to be effectively defensive with baits and camping?
my vote is the former

in melee being defensive is nerfed compared to brawl with only a couple broken aspects such as planking which is still character dependent (sheik, jigglypuff, etc), with the shield frame drop amount, rolls being worse, ledge invincibility frames nerfed, and only 1 air dodge, and even that was made offensive with wavedashing/waveshining
it is much better to be offensive in almost every situation because (with good tech skill) you can make yourself safe with shffl's. spacies can make themselves 100% safe with their 1 frame shine for pillars and get guaranteed grabs, others can jab, and others can jump or roll away.

now with brawl their is no more shffl's being offensive has now been nerfed and defensive play buffed significantly
and don't get me started on the hitstun and how it doesn't help being offensive
shield stun and drop frames being much less, a lot of rolls being very good, some broken spotdodges, and broken ledge frames.
now you can go for grab which is almost everyones answer in the beginning, use a truly safe move which not everyone has, or you can use rising aerials but by doing this you're essentially resetting the position yourself which does not help being offensive.

too late to think more will add later

TL;DR
melee: good techskill, effective aggro and zoning
can make RPS situations in your favor

brawl: almost all reads, but by limiting oponents options effectively and conditioning
can be a lot easier to get reads

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
games like p4a with a their tech barrier
LMAO you do know that game literally has a 'Mash X for a full combo into super!!!' button and that some of those character auto combos are really good, right? That game does NOT have a massive tech barrier at all, sure I couldnt beat a pro at it, but the fact that Mars beat you the first time he played the game by literally mashing X, lmfao. Even I beat people who think theyre good just because I know what spacing is and can press X, and I literally dont even know how to tell if I have meter or not in that game LOL.

And NO ONE is ever going to say Brawl is close to Melee at tech skill, and thats not what Kenny is saying either. Kenny is saying that the game takes a long time to get get at, which is very true. Brawl requires A TON of spacing, footsies, mindgames, character knowledge, etc to be good at, its not a game you can just pick up and be good at (like P4A) since there are a LOT of things that go into the game that you have to be good at and aware about in order to be successful at it even just at a low level. Both Melee and Brawl are difficult games to be good at, but in vastly different ways; sure some of that skill carries over due to the basics of the two games being similar (I literally NEVER play melee but can beat some people with Yoshi of all characters), but there are huge differences in how spacing, shields, characters, safety, and even simple dodging which are vastly different between the two games which makes it very hard to switch between the two without practice.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
LMAO you do know that game literally has a 'Mash X for a full combo into super!!!' button and that some of those character auto combos are really good, right? That game does NOT have a massive tech barrier at all, sure I couldnt beat a pro at it, but the fact that Mars beat you the first time he played the game by literally mashing X, lmfao. Even I beat people who think theyre good just because I know what spacing is and can press X, and I literally dont even know how to tell if I have meter or not in that game LOL.
congradulations you just proved you have no idea what you are talking about
even Tony would laugh at you
lets just start by saying Persona is an ACTUAL FIGHTING GAME

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lmao I like how you only responded to the part that was clearly a joke and ignored the actual part of the post that had to do with the topic. Its almost like you know youre wrong and now want to change the subject without admitting defeat.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Persona is probably the easiest game to get into out of all the fighting games currently on the market. Especially for an Anime fighter Guilty Gear and BlazBlue are both significantly more complex than Persona and Marvel. Being accessible isn't a bad thing or an attack on the game its a good thing because it means the game has a bigger player base.

-Final-

Aria♪
I'm most likely bringing a melee setup today, cause I don't have anything unlocked on brawl

iirc there are several other melee players coming as well

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Hey guys, my ride fell through and my car is out of commission until later this week. Really pissed about it, but hopefully I can make it out to the next event.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Typically Kafeneio events go on until about 7 PM, safely. I'm not there myself, so I can't confirm, but if you're in the area and are able to drive, it's worth a drive to check to get some Smash on.

Rynoceros

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums. Me and DarkPancake are friend IRL. I'm fairly decent at both melee and brawl, but I prefer melee over brawl. Me and DarkPancake are trying to get into the scene early on. I hope that I'll be able to smash it up with you guys sometime.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums. Me and DarkPancake are friend IRL. I'm fairly decent at both melee and brawl, but I prefer melee over brawl. Me and DarkPancake are trying to get into the scene early on. I hope that I'll be able to smash it up with you guys sometime.
Welcome! Glad to see another melee player. If Meat is gonna give you the welcoming waveshine, then I'll give you the welcoming dose of pills from the doctor himself.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Set up means a TV and Wii. All events are bring your own controller, but people usually have extras you can borrow just in case (but regardless, you should bring your own controller if possible).

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Speaking of set-ups, I'm looking to buy a small CRT as well as a gamecube and memory card. I'd like to get my own set up. I'm looking around other places as well.

Erion

Smash Cadet
Hey sexy people. I used to be in the Utah Melee scene years ago and I have moved back. I live in Ogden, by the way.

Top Bottom