• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Erion

Smash Cadet
Nice to be back. How's the Melee scene nowadays? Are there any events happening soon? Does anyone live close to Ogden at all?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Shout outs to the Mexis for housing rich brown last night and not letting people know
Swagg

Nice to be back. How's the Melee scene nowadays? Are there any events happening soon? Does anyone live close to Ogden at all?
I live close to Ogden. Nobody else does. There's rumors of lots of Melee players in Utah but we can't confirm because they only like to post in this thread instead of coming to anything.

I suck at Melee but I'm willing to play some with you if you want.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Hey sexy people. I used to be in the Utah Melee scene years ago and I have moved back. I live in Ogden, by the way.
Oh, hey! I remember you! Welcome back.
The Melee scene here isn't what it used to be when you were here last. Brawl put it on life support. There has been a good number of new people posting here recently that claim that they prefer Melee, but like Mars said, they haven't actually gone to any recent events. If every one of them come on a regular basis, then the Melee scene has a chance to revive again, but other than that, it'll probably just be a friendlies-only thing at Smash gatherings.
And Gojira still lives in that area, but he's no longer active in Smash.

PS: @Meat - Someone showed up after you left yesterday and was actually intending to input the BALLZ tag for tap-jump off, which you happened to have barely put that very day. XD

DarkPancake

Smash Cadet
I will start coming to Melee events once I can convince my parents that people I meet online aren't all inherently evil. Oh, and big thanks to Anonano for coming over and helping me practice. Even if I can 3-stock his Link. :p

Erion

Smash Cadet
I suck at Melee but I'm willing to play some with you if you want.
Does that mean you mainly play Brawl? But hey, I'm not too good either. Maybe we can help each other.
By the way, where exactly do you live?

Oh, hey! I remember you! Welcome back.
The Melee scene here isn't what it used to be when you were here last. Brawl put it on life support. There has been a good number of new people posting here recently that claim that they prefer Melee, but like Mars said, they haven't actually gone to any recent events. If every one of them come on a regular basis, then the Melee scene has a chance to revive again, but other than that, it'll probably just be a friendlies-only thing at Smash gatherings.
And Gojira still lives in that area, but he's no longer active in Smash.

Oh hey, PC!
Well, I'm willing to be active in the scene. A thousand times preferably Melee, but I could play a little Brawl.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
i feel like i've lobbied pretty heavy to get melee players to come play since i moved here half a year ago and i've had no luck at all
it's consistently just been pc and me
hope the young blood can change that

and to be fair a lot of the brawl players, like ds4 tane rockmix and mars have all reliably played melee to humor me when i come around, big ups to that

im just a bit frustrated

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Yeah, I told you I was totally out of practice DarkPancake.

But you'll notice I wasn't getting 3 stocked by the end of the night (constistently, not all the time).
As previously mentioned, just let me know when you want me to come by again and I'll make it. Little get-togethers like that are my only opportunities for getting my old Melee self back, since I can't use my Melee disc. :(

Also, johns. ;D

Rynoceros

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I'm extremely terrible at short hopping with a lot of characters, which greatly affects my ability to SHFFL. I'm just wondering if any of you could give me any tips on how to short hop more easily, such as if you think it's easier to short hop using the X or Y button or just stuff like that. I currently use the X button. If anyone could just give me a few pointers that would be great. Kthxbai.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I think it's just more practiced skill over time. I mean, everyone has their own methods, really. For me, just more of learning to essentially "touch" rather that "press" the jump button (being X or Y)

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
what you need to know is that short hopping is about releasing the jump button before you leave the ground
it isn't about "tapping" it or "flicking" it but just releasing jump before you start jumping
however you want to do that is the best method for you. for me I press the button all the way really fast. other people slide their thumb over the button to nick the corner and get it that way.
as a fox player i only get 3 frames to short hop and it's taken me 3-4 years of playing to really get consistent
and even then I still miss short hops when I'm nervous or recovering from really intense pressure

also I use Y and I think it's better because it's closer to B but that's just preference

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
The way I learned to short hop was by just going into training mode (or 99 stock/no time limit matches) and literally just stood there jumping over and over and I could consistently do it. But one thing that I learned really quick is that no matter how consistent I was at short hopping practice, it was a lot harder to short hop in a real match. I suggest when you're not playing and you want to practice, just play against the AI and try to fight them while using short hop to your advantage. It's not something that you just learn after a few minutes practice; it'll become natural over time.

On the subject of which button is easier to use, I find Y to be easier but to me X is more convenient. You can also short hop with the control stick, but i don't recommend it. I use it sometimes when I play doc. I shorthop into pill and it's just really easy and natural for me to use the control stick to shorthop when I try to execute that move.

TL;DR: Keep practicing and playing matches and it'll become natural over time.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
All right, my car is fixed, I am no longer dependent on rides, and I am willing/able to drive for smash. Anybody wanna hold a small smashfest this week? Gotta shake the rust off.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
So I am down to host a fest sometime this week and can have both games.

And for anyone interested, I am free to smash today until like 6 or so. I'm guessing that this will get more Provo/Orem people, but anyone is welcome to come. You might even be able to move the smash fest somewhere else after or something. Melee or brawl or both depending on who shows up

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So Ive been playing Project M a bit lately (although Ive been doing it on a Classic Controller cuz I dont have a Wii with GC inputs that works lol) and Im sad that they took out Ivy's bullet seed, I wanted to use her but they completely removed the move that made me like he, so sad. And since Yoshi isnt in, Ive been mainly playing Mario, Bowser, and Squirtle, but Ive also really liked Charizard and Snake.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
LMAO you do know that game literally has a 'Mash X for a full combo into super!!!' button and that some of those character auto combos are really good, right? That game does NOT have a massive tech barrier at all, sure I couldnt beat a pro at it, but the fact that Mars beat you the first time he played the game by literally mashing X, lmfao. Even I beat people who think theyre good just because I know what spacing is and can press X, and I literally dont even know how to tell if I have meter or not in that game LOL.
To be fair, nobody in Utah is good at P4A. The rest of this is correct, unless you're using Aigis, who has a combination of a mediocre autocombo and really difficult execution gameplay.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I just use Teddie and space that air kicking attack, the baseball bat, and the attack where his persona flies forward, then on hit mash X.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Alright well it looks like people are gonna start showing up around 12, so if anyone wants to head over, feel free.

That goes for any of the new guys too. My address is 578 n 400 e in Provo. Building: concord apt 6

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I would LIKE to go, but I doubt Ill be able to since I dont have any gas money, live hella far, and I doubt anyone would want to drive a 20min detour to pick me up, plus the extra hour to provo.

BUT IF ANYONE IS WILLING LET ME KNOW xD

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I'm not so sure about this one. It doesn't seem like the hosts really know how to run a smash tourney. But I could be wrong. For all i know they've done this before but I'm making these assumptions based on the questions they're asking in the questionnaire. Of course this could be more of a casual tourney.

For those who can't see the facebook page, from what I can tell, it seems like they don't know whether they're going to have a melee tourney, brawl tourney, or both. I guess they're just waiting for more people to answer the questionnaire.

Top Bottom